Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options
  • 29-12-2014 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

Heads will be rolling tomorrow.

Looks like the following are gone(some definitely are):
    Mike Smith - Falcons
    Rex Ryan - Jets
    Jim Haurbaugh - 49ers
    Marc Trestman - Bears

There could well be a surprise in there as well, not sure who it would be though. Anyone on the list who you'd keep or anyone who you think should be fired? Philbin, Jay Gruden and Tom Coughlin are all supposedly safe despite pretty iffy seasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Perry Fewell Giants DC needs to be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

OBJ has saved Coughlin. Single-handedly. Forgive the terrible pun.

I would say Tannehill's progress has saved Philbin. And the fact no respected coach would touch the Redskins with a pole saves Gruden.

The four you've listed are gone though. Smith is the only outside hope of staying. I do feel sorry for him because Dimitrov has made a dog's dinner of that roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Mike Smith threw away a victory against the Browns with horrendous time management ^^^ The owner watching upstairs. I can't see anyway he survives Black Monday

Rob Ryan Saints DC must be on thin ice. His defense is horrendous and we've seen himself and Sean Payton bickering on the sidelines

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rob Ryan Saints DC must be on thin ice

His defense is horrendous and we've seen himself and Sean Payton bickering on the sidelines

Interesting off season for the Saints.

Phrase gets thrown around a lot but they really are in cap hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You can probably add Aaron Kromer to that list...

• Advertisement

You'd need a thesis to list all the assistants under threat. Not worth the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I think there could be quite a few HC jobs vacant over the next few days - and the potential candidates are quite thin on the ground.

Must be about time for Jon Gruden to haggle another big contract from ESPN so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If Coughlin isn't fired then Perry Fewell should be fired. Preferably the two would be fired tbh.

The Ryan twins will find work fairly quickly, as Co-ordinators. Rex is dead meat as far as a HC vacancy is concerned. Jim Harbaugh wouldn't be too worried either. He can choose from Michigan or the Raiders. Possibly the Bears as well.

• Advertisement

The Ryan twins will find work fairly quickly, as Co-ordinators. Rex is dead meat as far as a HC vacancy is concerned. Jim Harbaugh wouldn't be too worried either. He can choose from Michigan or the Raiders. Possibly the Bears as well.

Rumours that Shanahan is lining up the Bears vacancy.

I would expect Rex to land in Denver as DC if Del Rio gets the Raiders (or other) job.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Rex has gone on record as saying he wouldn't be interested in returning to a DC job. He mightn't have much choice tbh.

Rex ain't getting another NFL HC gig for a while. He needs to rid himself of that notion PDQ. Unless he wants to take a shot at college, then it's either DC or sit his backside down!

And we're off and running!. Harbaugh has left the 49ers...

EDIT. Just heard Harbaugh's apparently off to Michigan.

A quick stat: Jeff Fischer has 16 full seasons as an NFL head coach and only 6 winning seasons.

Yet he is never ever mentioned as being on the chopping block.

I don't know how he keeps his stock so high, the media and his owners must love him!

I think he's a good coach, certainly not a bad coach but you could say he's overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Dear **** I hope someone gives dom capers a look for a HC job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

There are a lot of highly rated college coaches that could be ready to make the jump to the NFL.

David Shaw, Kevin Sumlin, Brian Kelly, and Jim Mora Jr. are the ones to watch, and potentially Gus Malzahn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rex ain't getting another NFL HC gig for a while. He needs to rid himself of that notion PDQ. Unless he wants to take a shot at college, then it's either DC or sit his backside down!

I'd easily take him as the Raiders head coach and if I was owner of the Falcons he'd be one of the first names I'd call.

I'd easily take him as the Raiders coach and if I was owner of the Falcons he'd be one of the first names I'd call.

As a DC, I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A quick stat: Jeff Fischer has 16 full seasons as an NFL head coach and only 6 winning seasons.

Yet he is never ever mentioned as being on the chopping block.

I don't know how he keeps his stock so high, the media and his owners must love him!

I think he's a good coach, certainly not a bad coach but you could say he's overrated

I'm not sure either as his teams play dirty and play rubbish football. Only Fischer would get involved with Gregg Williams....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As a DC, I assume?

No, head coach. There aren't many better head coach candidates in the NFL at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭tripperman

i think rex will turn up at the raiders, wouldnt bet on many of the saints staff staying put, bears be interesting who would want to work with cutler or is he out the door to

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

rex ryan and idzik gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

I keep checking Twitter in the vain hope that Stephen Ross has seen sense, reversed his decision and fired Philbin.

Unfortunately, another year of Dolphin mediocrity awaits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Vic Fangio has expressed an interest in the HC job at the 49ers. to my mind he's the best DC in the league. I hope he stays in that position, I feel the 49ers need an offensive minded HC. To have the 5th ranked defense given the injuries he has had to deal with is nothing short of phenomenal.

Jim Tomsula is the other potential in house candidate and whoever the 49ers select I hope those 2 guys are part of the setup.

I wouldn't be hugely disappointed with either guy getting the job but they would need a very strong offensive coordinator I think.

The is a major issue in that many of the obvious HC candidates are coordinators for playoffs teams and are off limits until their season is over. This always creates a panic among team owners who start to scramble once one gets hired.

I expect that many owners will look to college HCs because there are so few HC candidates in the NFL who appear capable of doing the job.

Harbaugh to Michigan has been on the cards all season - Harbaugh is a control freak and most owners are unwilling to give that power to HCs anymore (one reason why McDaniels will struggle to get a HC job).

FAIL from the Detroit Free Pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2491&d=1419862699

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-12-29/jim-harbaugh-detroit-free-press-prints-brother-john-front-page-michigan-coaching-job-49ers-ravens

They have acknowledged their mistake on twitter
    Freep SportsVerified account
    @freepsports
    We've got a serious "Case of the Mondays." Our deepest apologies, folks. We'll have the right one tomorrow, promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mike smith fired by the Falcons. Breaking news on nfl network.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Vic Fangio has expressed an interest in the HC job at the 49ers. to my mind he's the best DC in the league. I hope he stays in that position, I feel the 49ers need an offensive minded HC. To have the 5th ranked defense given the injuries he has had to deal with is nothing short of phenomenal.

Jim Tomsula is the other potential in house candidate and whoever the 49ers select I hope those 2 guys are part of the setup.

I wouldn't be hugely disappointed with either guy getting the job but they would need a very strong offensive coordinator I think.

Fangio hasn't had his dues this year. With that Offense and the injuries on D that team had no right to be competitive. Amazing effort by him. With Smith gone (I think?), I'd imagine keeping him in some capacity is even more important.

Bear's GM Emery gone btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mark trestman is reported to have been fired by the Bears aswell.

Advertisement