Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mark trestman is reported to have been fired by the Bears aswell.

Happy birthday to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

@SportsCenter: THIS JUST IN: Michigan tells boosters Jim Harbaugh has deal to become next head coach. (via ESPN's @AdamSchefter) http://t.co/8dQpO7jhAR

Well I doubt they would do that if it wasn't a done deal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Orton retires!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Denver may do a Cincinnati and lose both their coordinators
    Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 30m30 minutes ago
    Look for Jack Del Rio to emerge in OAK, ATL to contact Rex, SF to approach Jim Mora several teams request Adam Gase. M. Shanahan wants Chi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bears GM Phil Emery fired as well. I take it that's mainly because of the Cutler contract? His last two first round draft picks have been Kyle Fuller and Kyle Long, which both seem like excellent picks. What's the rest of his drafts been like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,860 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Think Rex would be the perfect fit for Falcons. They need a strong personality, His defence has always been in the top 10 with Revis been the only guy everyone knew and he finally would an offence with talent on it with Ryan, White and Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bears GM Phil Emery fired as well. I take it that's mainly because of the Cutler contract? His last two first round draft picks have been Kyle Fuller and Kyle Long, which both seem like excellent picks. What's the rest of his drafts been like?

Fairly decent. He drafted Alshorn Jeffery and Martellus Bennett amongst others. Think he also drafted Forte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Fairly decent. He drafted Alshorn Jeffery and Martellus Bennett amongst others. Think he also drafted Forte.

Bennett was drafted 6 years ago by the Cowboys...

Peter King touting that the Jets are interested in Baltimore assistant GM Eric DeCosta for their top job

Hands off! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Martellus Bennett was a FA signing, bit of a disappointing journeyman which they turned into a pretty good TE...good signing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Forte was drafted in 2008 too, well before Emery's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

He drafted Shea McClellin in the first round. So there's that. He did do a good job in bringing in Marshall and Jeffery for Cutler. It was the other side of the ball that was the problem.

I think Rex has a chance to be a good HC but i think he needs some time off to reflect on the mistakes he made as tbh. If he goes straight into another job, he wont change and he'll fail again.

I dont think people give Rex enough "credit" for the shambles the Jets were. His bravado with the media which worked well for him at the start of his time at the Jets worked well for him but it came back to bite him in the ass as soon a a little adversity began to creep in.

A typical example is the drama and confusion he caused all through training camp with seesawing of Geno is our starter, Vick is just a backup...no wait, there is open competition for QB1...no wait there isn't...and so on.

He crippled the potential of the most important position in Football. Sanchez and Smith never really stood a chance under Rex. Rex needs to figure out how to handle the QB position and offense in general better before he can be a HC again.

His drafts have been a mixed bag, biggest mistake was probably McClellin, best was probably Long. His FA signings have been alright, best was probably Willie Young. Has tended to rely on aging free agents although he wasn't helped by the drafting of his predecessor. The things everyone can agree he made a balls of are the Cutler contract and, to my mind a far far bigger problem, coaching hires. Looked past Arians because he wanted to force Marinelli on him as DC, then hired trestman, which was an absolutely massive gamble, lost Marinelli anyway, and then picked up Tucker, DeCamillis, and Kromer. The players have repeatedly said in the last while that the trust was gone in the team after the Kromer saga, and ultimately that was on Emery. The team can't function again under him, and given Arians apparent scepticism about him, it's hard to see why any top coach would want to work with him again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There are a lot of reasons and Jay isn't even in the top 3, despite what the national media might want people to think.

Trestman, his hire, completely flopped and lost the locker room a long time ago. Trestman's coaching hires have been a complete disaster on D and ST. There is also the thing with Aaron Kromer and all that falls back on the GM.

His free agency acquisitions to fix the defense this season flopped (Apart from Willie Young, who was a great pickup). But to be honest, with Mel Tucker coaching them it was never going to work. I have never seen a DC as bad as he is.

He refused to force decisions on Trestman and was too hands-offish. Mel Tucker should never have kept his job after how our D played last season and he should never have made it to the end of this season either.

I would put Jay's contract as the 4th black mark, just ahead of his decision to draft Shay McClellin at pick 19 in 2012 and his stubbornness to admit his error and cut him.

He did a lot of good. We had no WRs or O-line before him. He traded for Brandon Marshall, drafted Alshon, Kyle Long, Kyle Fuller and signed Martellus Bennett, who has had the 2 best years of his career in Chicago. Overall, he had more success in 3 drafts and FAs than his predecessor Jerry Angelo had in 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Hazys wrote: »
    Martellus Bennett was a FA signing, bit of a disappointing journeyman which they turned into a pretty good TE...good signing.

That's not really accurate. Looked excellent initially at the Cowboys but mentally he went off the rail after the early hype. Joined the Giants and was excellent and has been very good for the Bears too.

Not what you would call a journeyman tbh.

glued wrote: »
    That's not really accurate. Looked excellent initially at the Cowboys but mentally he went off the rail after the early hype. Joined the Giants and was excellent and has been very good for the Bears too.

Not what you would call a journeyman tbh.

Depends on your definition of journeyman i guess.

He was average at best for the Cowboys tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Peter King touting that the Jets are interested in Baltimore assistant GM Eric DeCosta for their top job

Hands off! :mad:

I remember saying the same thing a few years ago when he was linked to somewhere else and I think you told me that he won't leave as his family are settled in Baltimore and he's nailed on to replace Ozzie whenever that time comes.

From 2013 - http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/02/01/taunton-decosta-driving-from-shadows-for-ravens/awjki2v5nvaJ0404NeZV5L/story.html
    NEW ORLEANS — Eric DeCosta could have his own NFL kingdom by now. Any one of them. His choice.

Going on three offseasons now, NFL owners have requested permission to interview the Ravens’ assistant general manager to run the football side of their franchises.

Each time he has said no. DeCosta, 41, is content to be general-manager-in-waiting of the Ravens behind Ozzie Newsome, who, at 56, said he has no plans to retire.

“It would probably benefit [DeCosta] to be here and be a part of a Super Bowl than to be out there struggling with some 3-13 team, you know?” Newsome said. “You don’t keep jobs very long. At some point I am going to walk away and he’ll have this and everything will already be in place for him. That transition is going to be seamless, but it will be good for him.”

Many in DeCosta’s position would not make the same choice with millions being thrown at him. But those that know DeCosta best back home in the blue-collar down of Taunton aren’t surprised.

“There’s two things you need to know about Eric DeCosta,” said John Monteiro of Dighton, who met DeCosta in middle school. “He’s extremely hard working and he’s extremely loyal.

“At my job, a lot of people follow him and they ask me all the time, ‘Is he going to leave?’ No way. He’ll never leave. He’s not going anywhere. He’s loyal to that team, they gave him his first big shot. I know how he is.”

Hard working and loyal. Sounds a lot like Taunton, known as the Silver City for the many silversmiths it used to boast south of Boston.

“People had to work hard to build a life for themselves,” said DeCosta as he sat in the Ravens’ team hotel. “I think I learned a work ethic from just growing up there, seeing people work.”

DeCosta’s grandfather worked long hours in the silver industry. Both his parents worked full-time jobs. His father, Joe, worked in the fastener industry in Providence and Fall River, while his mother, Donna, was a bank teller.

DeCosta spent his free time playing every single sport with the neighborhood boys just down the street from Taunton High School. He could hear the football public address announcer through the trees on Friday nights and dreamed of being an NFL player. They don’t grow many slow NFL players at 5 feet 9 inches, but DeCosta was good enough to be an all-conference end and fullback at Taunton, and captain at Colby College as a linebacker.

What would DeCosta, the personnel executive, say about DeCosta, the football prospect?

“He’d probably say he was an instinctive player, but he was a reject physically,” DeCosta said. “I was an overachieving, try-hard guy who made a lot of plays. I couldn’t run and I wasn’t big. That’s not a good combination for a linebacker.”

But DeCosta still wanted to be in the game. So that meant while many of his college classmates graduated and took jobs on Wall Street or went to medical school, DeCosta became a graduate assistant at Trinity College. That put him onto the radar of a young Redskins scout named Scott Cohen, who is now the Jets’ assistant general manager. Cohen hired DeCosta as a Redskins intern, and then recommended him to Scott Pioli, who was in the Browns/Ravens pro personnel department before landing with the Jets and then Patriots.

“He was a natural guy to recommend,” Cohen said of DeCosta. “His passion for the game and attention to detail are really high. Those are things that lend to success in this business.”

DeCosta might not even be in the business if it wasn’t for Cohen, who earned his masters at UMass.

“I’ve always admired Scott and owe a lot to him,” DeCosta said. “You’ll never hear anyone ever say a bad word about Scott.”

Before DeCosta left to work for the Ravens, he had a message for his buddies in Taunton.

“We all asked him what his ultimate goal was,” Monteiro said. “He said, ‘I want to be a GM. I want to run the show one day.’ I said, ‘If I know you, someday you will be there.’

“He works 20 hours a day and doesn’t even care. I stayed at his place, I walk in the house and there are videotapes everywhere, cords running around from all the VCRs. . . . He said it right from the start. Sure enough, the way he is with his work ethic, I knew he’d be there.”

Given a chance by the Ravens, DeCosta’s talents took over.

“He was the first guy that we hired as a scouting intern when we came to Baltimore,” Newsome said. “He’s learned how to do everything from the bottom up. He can process information very quickly. He will always give you his valued opinion. He’s a true team player.”

DeCosta is obsessively organized. You can even see that in the way he dresses. Everything is perfect. Nothing out of place. Just like his backyard in Taunton.

“He hasn’t changed one bit from the time that we were young kids until right now,” Monteiro said. “He knew where everything was. We worked together in a summer program. We’d sneak out and play some Wiffle ball games in his backyard. He made sure before we left that yard, everybody put the bat and the ball right back where it belonged, and the next day we got there it was in the same spot.”

And 17 years later, DeCosta is in the same spot. And he wouldn’t have it any other way.

His wife, Lacie, is from Baltimore and her built-in support system helps manage their three children — Jane, 9; Michael, 5; and Jack, 2 — while DeCosta works his long hours.

And then there are the “brothers” DeCosta works alongside — Pat Moriarty (vice president of football administration), George Kokinis (senior personnel assistant), Newsome, and owner Steve Bisciotti.

“We’re a lot a like in a lot of ways and he’s given me a lot of responsibility, and I plan on him giving him back as much as I can,” DeCosta said of Bisciotti, who has made it financially possible for DeCosta to stay. “I think Baltimore is a special place in a lot of different ways. And I’m comfortable there.

“I’ve seen enough people go other places and not have good situations. I’m cautious. If I could spend the rest of my time working in Baltimore, it would be fantastic. Quite honestly, the truth of the matter is, if I have to spend the rest of my time in Baltimore working with Ozzie Newsome, if he stays to be GM the next 20 years, I’m blessed.

“We speak the same language. We see things the same a lot of times. We may express it a little differently, but a lot of times he’ll look at me and I’ll look at him and we don’t have to say anything and you kind of know what each other is thinking. Ozzie’s my friend, we spend a lot of time together. I can honestly say that some of my very, very best memories in the NFL are always with Ozzie. I could tell you 50 stories and they almost all involved Ozzie at some point.”

DeCosta and Newsome will have another one on Sunday with Super Bowl XLVII, and Taunton watching.

“It’s unbelievable,” Monteiro said. “Words can’t put into perspective how proud we are of him. I saw him on TV once up in the booth and all I could do was sit there and laugh. Everybody wanted to know what was wrong with me. That’s the same kid I was sitting down with at the lunch table 20 years [ago] in high school and look at him now.”

Keep the faith. ;)

Paully D wrote: »
    I remember saying the same thing a few years ago when he was linked to somewhere else and I think you told me that he won't leave as his family are settled in Baltimore and he's nailed on to replace Ozzie whenever that time comes.

Just playing Devil's advocate, but Baltimore is less than a 3 hour drive from NYC...wouldn't be too bad of a commute :pac:

DeCosta is paid like a GM anyway and turned all these offers into $$$ from the owner. If he leaves it'll be for ambition and not for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Denver may do a Cincinnati and lose both their coordinators

In the last 3 years Allen went to the Raiders and McCoy to the Chargers. I was surprised that one of the two coordinators didn't move last year. Personally I want to see Gase stay because Del Rio is easier to replace (I would even bring Allen back).

Bears OC Kromer is fired too, which is no shock. The offense had clearly lost faith in him when he went whining to Rapoport and then admitted it only to receive no punishment at all. Expect the DC to be gone as well, since keeping him would be ludicrous even if nobody else was fired. Although while Tucker is very poor indeed, he sends to be the only assistant that commanded any respect from his players. But that's more or less the bare minimum, and he fails on pretty much every other front.

Falcons and 49ers have sought permission to interview Adam Gase.

Fox has given permission for meetings to take place in Denver or over Skype during the bye week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Falcons and 49ers have sought permission to interview Adam Gase.

Fox has given permission for meetings to take place in Denver or over Skype during the bye week.

I wouldn't be a fan of that hire at all. I completely agree with Matt Miller on this one:
    @nfldraftscout: Adam Gase will be a very hot name, but I would be very scared that he's benefited more from Peyton Manning than vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Falcons and 49ers have requested permission to speak to Josh McDaniels as per Ian Rapoport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Coaching staff of teams still in the playoffs should not be made available for interview until their season is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Falcons and 49ers have requested permission to speak to Josh McDaniels as per Ian Rapoport.

9ers could be an interesting destination for him, as much as he frustrates me at times I wouldn't mind him sticking around another season though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

From what I understand the 49ers are expected to interview:

Josh McDaniels - New England OC
    Dan Quinn - Seattle DC
    Todd Bowles - Arizona DC
    Adam Gase - Denver OC
    Mike Shanahan/Kyle Shanahan
    Tom Clements - Green Bay OC
    Darrell Bevell - Seattle OC

As well as the 2 in house guys, Vic Fangio (DC) and Jim Tomsula (D-Line Coach)

I haven't seen them linked with any college head coaches yet. But you would assume that would be an option too.

Greg Roman is following Jim Harbaugh to Michigan.

Paully D wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of that hire at all. I completely agree with Matt Miller on this one:

Gase is underestimated in the impact that he has on the Broncos offence.

In relation to the 49ers - it is by far and away the job with the biggest potential - the 49ers can afford to take their time to pick who they feel will be the best candidate.

I expect other teams to look at the college ranks to try and steal a march in filling the job - but anyone wanting to fill from within the NFL will probably have to wait until the 49ers fill their HC job.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    9ers could be an interesting destination for him, as much as he frustrates me at times I wouldn't mind him sticking around another season though

I wouldn't expect the 49ers to hire McD - Harbaugh is gone because he was a control freak - McDaniels is a similar control freak without the HC ability.

Advertisement