Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I thought the press conference yesterday by Jed York and Trent Baalke was a good read. I was happy to see the media really get stuck in with their questions, and JY and TB were getting really defensive with some of their answers. Also, if I was an OC/DC being offered the job, I'd be wary. There is so much expectation to win a Super Bowl, that if things aren't looking good after a couple of years, they could find themselves out of a job and in the "unsuccesful promotion to HC" pile. Certainly McDaniels won't want 2 failed attempts at being a HC on his CV.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Full-Transcript-CEO-Jed-York-and-GM-Trent-Baalke-on-49ers-Future/e04920e3-b5de-4255-adab-5851785757b6

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I thought the press conference yesterday by Jed York and Trent Baalke was a good read. I was happy to see the media really get stuck in with their questions, and JY and TB were getting really defensive with some of their answers. Also, if I was an OC/DC being offered the job, I'd be wary. There is so much expectation to win a Super Bowl, that if things aren't looking good after a couple of years, they could find themselves out of a job and in the "unsuccesful promotion to HC" pile. Certainly McDaniels won't want 2 failed attempts at being a HC on his CV.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Full-Transcript-CEO-Jed-York-and-GM-Trent-Baalke-on-49ers-Future/e04920e3-b5de-4255-adab-5851785757b6

Well for a team like the 49ers giving their history and the recent sucess they have had, of course there is expectation for a super bowl with good reason.

Josh mcdaniels first balls up should bar him from ever getting a HC job in the league again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

How would going from 49ers to Michigan be perceived - is it a minor/major downwards step or just a sideways step. Would it be seen as a short term move with the plan being to head back to NFL in a number of years. And how would the salaries compare?

How would going from 49ers to Michigan be perceived - is it a minor/major downwards step or just a sideways step. Would it be seen as a short term move with the plan being to head back to NFL in a number of years. And how would the salaries compare?

Sideways step. I think it's $8M a year at Michigan so it compares very well with the nfl if not better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Looking from a distance it looks like a strange choice because he's a head coach who would have been first choice for pretty much all of the vacant head coaching positions I would say. NFL is obviously the pinnacle of the sport but college ball is huge in America so non Americans would likely view it as a major downgrade. I think there are a lot of valid reasons he did it though

I'd say this season has been hugely stressful for him having to deal with York and Baalke. Supposedly these are the two who leaked a lot of negative stuff about Harbaugh throughout the season which must have made the working relationship pretty horrible. I think the chance to get away from all of that and go to Michigan where he will have full control is a huge incentive. It also gives him a good chance to get out of the media spot-light that comes with being an NFL coach. I dont think the emphasis of winning straight away will be a strong for Michigan compared to an NFL team. He's also an Michigan alumni so the opportunity to coach them, and bring them back to glory would be very appealing to him. He's still only 51 which is young enough for a head coach so he has plenty of time to come back to the NFL and I'd be surprised if we don't see there again. I'd say after getting so close with the 49ers he'll feel he has unfinished business.

Money wise he'll be the highest paid college coach ever. He's going to earn $8m per year and that's very close to the top in the NFL as well, top 3 at least I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wouldn't expect the 49ers to hire McD - Harbaugh is gone because he was a control freak - McDaniels is a similar control freak without the HC ability.
    This is all guesswork without actual knowledge. Its based on reading the rubbish the media post about somebody when they have nothing else to write about.

Nobody knows what McDaniels is like behind the scenes except the players. He got rid of Cutler and Marshall but its been clearly shown at this stage that Cutler is not that good and Marshall had a lot of problems. In hindsight it was a good move to improve the Broncos even if it didn't happen straight away. I don't think Denver would have any AFC titles since that time if those two had not been got rid of.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is all guesswork without actual knowledge. Its based on reading the rubbish the media post about somebody when they have nothing else to write about.

Nobody knows what McDaniels is like behind the scenes except the players. He got rid of Cutler and Marshall but its been clearly shown at this stage that Cutler is not that good and Marshall had a lot of problems. In hindsight it was a good move to improve the Broncos even if it didn't happen straight away. I don't think Denver would have any AFC titles since that time if those two had not been got rid of.

They wouldn't have had any with Tebow or Orton as their QB's either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

eagle eye wrote: »

There is copious amounts of evidence that McDaniels was a control freak and the control he had in Denver went completely to his head. The blame for this lay firmly at the door of Bowlen who stated that he wouldn't give anyone the same control that Shanahan enjoyed as HC and then proceeded to give McDaniels that control. Bowlen openly admitted that he was wrong to do this (and may have happened because of Bowlen's deteriorating health).

Marshall was heading out the door when Shanahan was sacked - McDs appointment saved Marshall for a year. McD was right to dump Cutler but wanted to replace him with Cassels and then did replace him with Orton.

But that was not the main problem - McDaniels almost completely wrecked the franchise while he was in control. He wasted draft picks, decimated the roster, tried to pack the roster with NE castaways, destroyed the back room staff, alienated the fans and pretty much destroyed the reputation of the Broncos. He tried to copy and paste the BB approach in NE to Denver but it is impossible to do this - McDaniels is not BB and Denver is not NE. McDaniels has a sharp OC mind - but he was and will be a disaster as a HC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thing is no one coming to SF will have control over draft picks etc, that will all be baalke.

On the press conference it is obvious that most of the leaks either came from Jed Yorke or someone very close to him. He has really backed himself into a corner.

He talks about getting a "Bill Walsh type" coach, but the suspicion is he has just let such a coach go. Harbaugh had one of the the all time great coaching records, particularly in his first 3 years. His 4th season was essentially sabotaged from within.

York was completely unable to offer an explanation why Harbaugh was fired. I see no good reason for it and the blame should lie squarely at Jed Yorks door.

Whoever comes in is going to be under huge pressure. Already you have different players coming out in favour of different guys. You have Montana, Lott and Steve Young all chiming in with their preferences.

On taking the Michigan job, one reason may have been that JH stillhad 1 year left on his contract and there may have been an agreement that he be realesed from that on conditon that he does not coach in the NFL during that time.

That's just guesswork but it would make some sense. I have the feeling that JH will end up back in the NFL, probably winning superbowls and probably beating SF at every oppurtunity.

• Advertisement

Eagles OC Pat Shurmur will interviewing for the Oakland job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Raiders are also interviewing Eric Mangini.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thing is no one coming to SF will have control over draft picks etc, that will all be baalke.

On the press conference it is obvious that most of the leaks either came from Jed Yorke or someone very close to him. He has really backed himself into a corner.

He talks about getting a "Bill Walsh type" coach, but the suspicion is he has just let such a coach go. Harbaugh had one of the the all time great coaching records, particularly in his first 3 years. His 4th season was essentially sabotaged from within.

York was completely unable to offer an explanation why Harbaugh was fired. I see no good reason for it and the blame should lie squarely at Jed Yorks door.

Whoever comes in is going to be under huge pressure. Already you have different players coming out in favour of different guys. You have Montana, Lott and Steve Young all chiming in with their preferences.

On taking the Michigan job, one reason may have been that JH stillhad 1 year left on his contract and there may have been an agreement that he be realesed from that on conditon that he does not coach in the NFL during that time.

That's just guesswork but it would make some sense. I have the feeling that JH will end up back in the NFL, probably winning superbowls and probably beating SF at every oppurtunity.

From everything I have read and some of it surprised me especially some of Baalke's comments it all points to York. I think both Baalke and Harbaugh definately butted heads but I think there was a mutual respect there of each others role in the organisation and what each brought to the table.

York just comes across as an I'm the boss type of person and it is irrelevant whether I am qualified or not to run this organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Money wise he'll be the highest paid college coach ever. He's going to earn $8m per year and that's very close to the top in the NFL as well, top 3 at least I would say.

While a player isn't allowed to be paid for signing an autograph. An absolute joke, but this thread is probably not the right place for it I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

8 million is right up there for salaries.

Sean Payton & Pete Carroll are the highest paid in the NFL on 8 million, Belichick is on 7.5 million

Nick Saban earns 7 million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

mikemac1 wrote: »
    8 million is right up there for salaries.

Sean Payton & Pete Carroll are the highest paid in the NFL on 8 million, Belichick is on 7.5 million

Nick Saban earns 7 million

It was reported today that he is on 5mil plus bonuses with 10% rise guranteed in year 3 and 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Charlie Casserly hired Gary Kubiak back when he was GM at the Texans.

Casserly was brought in to advise the Jets on their coaching search. And Kubiak is on the shortlist already

Just throwing that link out there......

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Chucky, Too right you'll take Rex when Mangenius and Schurmur are interviewing.

Although i have a soft spot for Mangini.

"Jim Harbaugh told Hackett he did NOT want to be the highest paid coach in CFB, or even the Big Ten. More concerned with pay for assistants"

Classy move.

"Jim Harbaugh told Hackett he did NOT want to be the highest paid coach in CFB, or even the Big Ten. More concerned with pay for assistants"

Classy move.

Well watching his press conference you could tell his connection and history with Michigan was deep and he seemed so relaxed, so yeah I think money wasn't his overriding concern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well watching his press conference you could tell his connection and history with Michigan was deep and he seemed so relaxed, so yeah I think money wasn't his overriding concern.

In fairness I've heard the same line before. He wants his assistants paid. But he also wants to paid himself and he still is the highest paid college coach and he still wanted to be the highest paid NFL coach.

He's not the highest paid college coach, why do people keep saying this?

Saban and Dantonio are on significantly higher salaries. Stoops is also higher, and Sumlin and Strong are on the same salary.

He's not the highest paid college coach, why do people keep saying this?

Saban and Dantonio are on significantly higher salaries. Stoops is also higher, and Sumlin and Strong are on the same salary.

All of that reported salaries had him as the highest paid college coach. Turns out those weren't correct though.

All of that reported salaries had him as the highest paid college coach. Turns out those weren't correct though.

We can also add Rex Ryan to the list of candidates the 49ers will interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Looking from a distance it looks like a strange choice because he's a head coach who would have been first choice for pretty much all of the vacant head coaching positions I would say. NFL is obviously the pinnacle of the sport but college ball is huge in America so non Americans would likely view it as a major downgrade. I think there are a lot of valid reasons he did it though

I'd say this season has been hugely stressful for him having to deal with York and Baalke. Supposedly these are the two who leaked a lot of negative stuff about Harbaugh throughout the season which must have made the working relationship pretty horrible. I think the chance to get away from all of that and go to Michigan where he will have full control is a huge incentive. It also gives him a good chance to get out of the media spot-light that comes with being an NFL coach. I dont think the emphasis of winning straight away will be a strong for Michigan compared to an NFL team. He's also an Michigan alumni so the opportunity to coach them, and bring them back to glory would be very appealing to him. He's still only 51 which is young enough for a head coach so he has plenty of time to come back to the NFL and I'd be surprised if we don't see there again. I'd say after getting so close with the 49ers he'll feel he has unfinished business.

The pressure to win at Michigan will be huge. He won't be able to afford many <
    9 win seasons and will need to be in the National Title picture within 3 or 4 years. If it does work out don't expect him back in the NFL, that's a job for life assuming you win.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Marrone calls it a day with the Bills

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Marrone calls it a day with the Bills

Off to the Jets as per Twitter chatter among the NFL crew. He also gets his full salary for 2015 from the Bills, on top of whatever he negotiates with the Jets (or another team).

From PFT:
    It wasn’t known that Marrone, if he chose to leave, would walk away with his full salary for 2015. According to ESPN, that’s precisely the term he negotiated when he became the coach two years ago. Marrone gets $4 million for 2015, with no offset if he takes another job in football for next season.

I'd like his agent please!

Bucky Brooks isn't too happy:

Bucky Brooks ‏@BuckyBrooks
    So, Doug Marrone abandons his team and pockets $4M.. I'm sure he will stand in front of his "new" team and preach sacrifice & togetherness.

And Bills players reactions - http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/12/buffalo_bills_player_lost_all_respect_doug_marrone_past_present_players_react.html?hootPostID=3a3155dfe96c8953a4d686f10e75def6

This is interesting, there was a clause in his contract that allows him to leave if there is a change of ownership. Very interesting indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Paully D wrote: »
    Off to the Jets as per Twitter chatter among the NFL crew. He also gets his full salary for 2015 from the Bills, on top of whatever he negotiates with the Jets (or another [\quote]

There was once a coach that abandoned one afcE team for another and ended up with 3 SB, go for it I say

Advertisement