Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Raf32 wrote: »
    Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington 11m11 minutes ago
    Sources: Adam Gase currently meeting with 49ers officials in Denver. Expected to be marathon. Elway plans to meet w/ Gase when it concludes.

Looks like Broncos want to keep Peyton happy maybe? Cant see why the 49ers want any part of him being honest.

I'd be happy enough with him, though I'd prefer if he came in as OC rather than HC.

He previously worked with the 49ers and most seem to think he had done a good job in Denver.

I understand working with Manning is different to working with Kapernick but the Manning offense in Denver was a step above what it had been in Indy.

This is a good article on him(partially) I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Ya if i were a broncos fan it would be for me in preference Quinn,Bowles and then a toss up between the other two who arent a step up from Fox. Id say someone could be in by friday. Shame Rex didnt hang on a bit longer and you would have got the perfect coach for manning.

Shame indeed but this talk of Fox being in trouble only emerged around the league on sunday before the game so it would imply that Fox leaked it himself. Note he's already fixed himself for an interview at Chicago.

Quinn or Bowles are the two standouts but go on any Broncos forum and you'll see half the posters arguing for Gary Kubiak which would be an absolutely horrible hire. We've requested Baltimore for an interview too so Elway's definitely thinking about getting his mate in.

Also, before anyone talks of a return for Shanahan, bear in mind that Elway and Shanahan haven't got along for some years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The Denver Broncos are one of the top franchises in the NFL - much of that is thanks to Fox who brought stability and organisation after the McD disaster and re-established the Broncos as a top flight NFL team. Fox leaving appears to be a series of circumstances coming together - Manning's declining ability coupled with his determination to control what the offence did appears to have been a major component part.

The Broncos have a very good roster - particularly on defence. The Broncos defence is better than it has played. JDR did not prepare the defence - he adopted the attitude that the better talent will come out on top - he played a very vanilla defence with few adjustments during the game - and he never had the defence play physical or blitz. A more aggressive coach would play into the talents of the players on defence. The one piece stopping the Broncos being a top flight defence is a MLB. There are some issues with the offence, mainly with the OL, but they can be fixed easily. Osweiler has the physical attributes to be a good NFL QB - he needs a season to see if he can actually deliver.

Elway will not rush his decision on who will replace Fox. He will have his list and will know the order in which he would like to go down the list. The Broncos job is by far and away the best job available - even without Manning - actually it is probably more attractive without Manning than with him at this point. There is a solid roster and plenty of cap room.

Kubiak is a distinct possibility - and given the close relationship over the past 30 years between the two - Kubiak will talk to Elway and if both think it will work then Kubiak will become HC. The only thing that stops Kubiak becoming Broncos HC is if Elway feels there is a better candidate - and according to what is being said Quinn is ahead of Kubiak at the moment. Despite the relationship Kubiak will not get the job because of his close relationship with Elway, Elway will do what is best to the team - he has been and will be ruthless in his decision making.

Elway will interview every available candidate - apparently he will talk to Gase tomorrow after he has completed his interview with the 49ers. Gase is highly thought of by the Broncos organisation - but there is an interesting development here - initially Manning was touting Gase as HC (apparently even before Fox left) - now it seems Manning is pushing for Dungy to get the job. This indicates to me that Manning thought Gase would keep him onboard - but when the prospect of Gase actually being in the frame Manning realised that Gase would support cleaning house

I still expect Gase to go to 49ers either as HC or OC - there is history.

I suspect the Broncos list is something like -
    1. Quinn
    2. Kubiak
    3. Bowles

Then the rest. But the list will be fluid and Elway will look at all angles before choosing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think this guy is part of the problem: https://vine.co/v/ODwDrqzFH67

You know that's what he's thinking, definitely more than accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He seems to be teflon John though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

The Broncos job is by far and away the best job available - even without Manning - actually it is probably more attractive without Manning than with him at this point. There is a solid roster and plenty of cap room.

Mate, you are out of your mind if you think a franchise with no quarterback, no draft position, in a tough division with huge expectations is by far the best available.

Osweiler is a non-entity at this stage. He's shown nothing. No coach with his choice will be drawn to a quarterback with no experience.

San Fran
    Atlanta
    Denver

That's how I rank those left.

kryogen wrote: »
    He seems to be teflon John though

There will never be anyone more loved in the history of the Broncos, which is a lot of the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Garrett signs a 5 year contract with Cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

So the Jets have hired Mike Maccagnan as the new GM, dont know much about the guy apart from he was director of college scouting at Houston. Hopefully his first order of business is firing Terry Fcuking Bradway

the Bills have also terminated Jim Schwartz contract, dont think anybody will be surprised about this

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    the Bills have also terminated Jim Schwartz contract, dont think anybody will be surprised about this

Like to see him as the new DC in Denver

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rapoport claiming Bowles going to the jets. I'm disappointed, fancied him for the Bears. Rapoport also has said Chicago is Fox's first preference. He has ties to the new gm and to accorsi, the consultant they hired to find the new gm. I'm ambivalent on him. Think he'll certainly improve the team though. Nearly any if the candidates could show progress from where we are now though, we have good people on the roster, and an ownership who have shown willingness recently to make changes and move forward. Think we're a much more attractive prospect than we've been given credit for the last few weeks.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Mate, you are out of your mind if you think a franchise with no quarterback, no draft position, in a tough division with huge expectations is by far the best available.

Osweiler is a non-entity at this stage. He's shown nothing. No coach with his choice will be drawn to a quarterback with no experience.

San Fran
    Atlanta
    Denver

That's how I rank those left.

Talent wise we are still stacked though, Manning or not. (And if Manning were to leave we'd likely keep both Thomases for good measure)

A good defensive coach could make a #1 defence out of what we've got.

The expectations are the problem but bear in mind Harbaugh got fired in SF over political bull**** between him and the front office so that's a red flag and they also have the same high expectations and a more difficult division

Rapoport claiming Bowles going to the jets. I'm disappointed, fancied him for the Bears. Rapoport also has said Chicago is Fox's first preference. He has ties to the new gm and to accorsi, the consultant they hired to find the new gm. I'm ambivalent on him. Think he'll certainly improve the team though. Nearly any if the candidates could show progress from where we are now though, we have good people on the roster, and an ownership who have shown willingness recently to make changes and move forward. Think we're a much more attractive prospect than we've been given credit for the last few weeks.

Fox would be very good for Chicago - he would bring stability and organisation.

Surprised that Bowles went to the Jets

with the jobs narrowing things are panning out a bit -

Chicago - Fox
    Atlanta - Quinn (although the Falcons are said to want to get it done quick)
    SF - Gase / Shanahan / Fangio (apparently Fangio has said that if he or Shanahan doesn't get HC he's gone)
    Raiders - Del Rio

That leaves Denver - Elway has asked to interview Austin who apparently has jumped up the list (suggestion that Elway is more impressed with the fact that he built the Lions defence, unlike Quinn who took over a defence built by Carroll) - Fangio comes into the frame if he leaves the 49ers and Kubiak is still very much in the mix.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Chicago - Fox
    SF - Gase / Shanahan / Fangio (apparently Fangio has said that if he or Shanahan doesn't get HC he's gone)
    Raiders - Del Rio

That leaves Denver - Elway has asked to interview Austin who apparently has jumped up the list (suggestion that Elway is more impressed with the fact that he built the Lions defence, unlike Quinn who took over a defence built by Carroll) - Fangio comes into the frame if he leaves the 49ers and Kubiak is still very much in the mix.

Jim Tomsula is also in play for the 49ers position at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Chicago - Fox
    Raiders - Del Rio

Austin seems like a good bet, he seems a little underrated to me at least by people talking about potential Bears HCs (that's the stuff I would be reading), given that he turned the Lions D into a complete powerhouse (facilitated by some high draft picks, but that guarantees nothing)

Del Rio to Oakland almost a done deal.

Gase to SF close to done also according to a few reports.

the Jets get their GM and HC within hours of each other,hopefully this is the start of something beautiful! Chan Gailey seems to be the new OC, he never really shined as a HC but he did manage to get 3,000 yards and 22 touchdowns from Tyler Thigpen, so maybe theres hope for Geno yet.

I think the Broncos job is down to Kubiak and Austin - with Kubiak the favourite. Elway will interview all available candidates but unless something else pops out it will be down to the two above.

I think the final decision will come down to who each of the candidates see as the remaining coaching staff. I suspect that this will favour Kubiak as he would probably bring Dennison with him as OC. Dennison will be important in fixing the OL, STs and the running game. The question is who would Kubiak bring in as DC - my preference is Schwartz.

The advantage for Austin is the job he has done with the Lions D - but he would have to be able to recruit a top of the range OC and they are few and far between. I suspect that Kyle Shanahan might come into the frame for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Del Rio to the Raiders confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Rumours Kubiak has the Broncos job

per Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 49ers set to promote DL coach Jim Tomsula to head coach, per sources. Still ironing out details, but Tomsula expected to be 49ers next HC.

This reeks of Jed York promoting a yes man instead of letting Trent Baalke find his guy. Not happy with this at all if it is true. York has made a royal mess of this franchise. I look forward to years of top 10 picks.

Rumours Kubiak has the Broncos job

There will be no appointment before interviews - Rooney Rule to start with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It seems there was an article on SB nation earlier but was pulled pretty quick, may be going through the motions

Fangio out now too. Apparently Dennis Allen is in line for the DC job.

We seem to be firing any body who was an good at their jobs. Don't see how any of this helps Kaeprnick/the offense/all the players who lobbied for Fangio t be kept.

I'm sure JT will be fine but he would have to win games at an historic rate to match his predecessor who was fired for some still unknown reason.

I'm hoping for a DC and OC that will make me feel better but I'm not real confident right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Tomsula should get the players playing hard for him, they pulled out all the stops when he was interim HC for one game against Arizona, but he has very little HC experience, could be another Romeo Crennel - Nice guy who the players will play for and good defensive coach/interim HC but not an NFL head coach. I hope he does well though, would be a shame for that 49ers team to fade, would be one of the best teams I've seen not to win a SB.

I like the Kubiak hiring for the Broncos. A whole lot went wrong for him in that last Texans season. I mean how many quarterbacks throw a pick-6 5 games in a row? I think he can put a consistent competitor on the field which ought to be Denver's goal if they're transitioning from Manning.

I like what Bowles did with Arizona but he could be getting a raw deal with the Jets. The likes of Bill Belichick and Vince Lombardi would struggle to take that team to the playoffs. Hopefully he can get the players behind him and is given time.

Rex Ryan may have got the best job of all. Doug Marrone looks like he's left the team in good shape and expectations aren't that high, and the Bills ought to suit Rex Ryan with a strong defense and potentially strong running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

49ers are gonna be terrible next year.

• Advertisement

49ers are gonna be terrible next year.

Why? Too much talent to be terrible. Let's what and see what the rest of the coaching staff looks like.

Advertisement