Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

C2911 wrote: »
    Looking at it I think if I was going to go to El Chalten in late April I'd need to find a hiking buddy. Not sure I fancy going trekking solo at that time of the year.

I went there in late September so there was still some snow on lower ground, and a bit more the higher up you went. But for the 2 days we were there, some of the best hiking I've ever undertaken....washed down with super big steaks and beer for under €10!
    Maybe we got lucky with the weather, but if I was you I'd chance it in April

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

I think it's finally expired.

When I search my dates they all come out at over £500 now.

I think it's finally expired.

When I search my dates they all come out at over £500 now.

EDIT: Or not. Dublin still seems to have flights available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So has only one person had their flights cancelled then? That seems odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

notreve wrote: »
    thanks magico,

that is some real good info to have

blue market can also be followed on lanacion.com.ar

on another subject, is the metro/subte a good way to get around city? or does bus transportation offer more?

subte is good although the network isnt huge, bus network has great coverage. Taxis are pretty cheap for the Irish pocket! A really really pricey cab (in the city) would be around 100 pesos...7 to 8euros. I'd be tempted to use those. Palermo has a lot of the good bars and restaurants, but the subway only touches the perimeter.

Addresses are little US. Give the street and the street the crosses it as all streets are in grid format. Florida y Lavalle for example.

Or me, its not a place to wing it, look at guides that you like (timeout ba maybe) and pick places to go. Get the address and get a cab there...saves you faffing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Looking like the Euro is seriously valuable on this blue dollar market!

http://www.dolarblue.net/

Check out the price on this daily updated blue dollar site (the euro is EURO BLUE).

Totally bringing a wad.

Also I'm narrowing my travel plans down a bit, only two weeks to play with, to a preliminary plan:
    1. BA for a few days/nights, first priority is cheap pesos, then steak and then beer. If I can do all at the same time and place then I will post GPS location :pac: Haven't decided on going cross border to Uruguay yet as I'm not sure it's worth seeing just for a day or night as the ferry is dear.
    2. Probably a plane down to either Trelew or Puerto Madyrn from BA. My plan is to pay in cheap pesos at the Aerolíneas Argentinas office in BA to save 50% on the flight rather than booking with greasy gringo dollars.
    3. Once I have arrived I plan to go SCUBA diving with the sea lions around the Penisula Valdes and any other decent diving if I can.
    4. Then I want to do a 3 day river kayaking and camping trip along the Rio Chubut with this crowd or someone or something similar.
    5. Things start to get a bit sketchy at this point. I think I will somehow get my arse over to Esquel way over 600km to the West near the Chilean border. I want to check out the nearby Parque Nacional los Alerces with it's glacier (apparently not crowded with tourists) and trekking, maybe a bit of horse riding too.
    6. Back to Puerto Madyrn and stay there for one night.
    7. Super long bus journey back to BA, possible stop off somewhere for a look but haven't got that far yet.

Still a work in progress. I can't justify going North to the Iguazu falls from BA as it's just to far if I want to go South to Patagonia, which is my main draw.

Having great fun researching. :):):):)

Thanks again OP!

Apparently you can buy internal Aerolineas Argentina flights for peso (way cheaper) at these two offices in Buenos Aires:

Perú 2 , just off Florida
    Cabildo 2900

Source

Also in many travel agents cat cash is fine too

Anyone else tempted to use Azimo and pick up the pesos in Argentina? Or does anyone have any experience using them?

There seems to be a rate of 18 pesos to the pound on there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 notreve

I registered with Azimo, they appear to be reputable

no fees/charges on pickup at the other side, small fee when doing the transfer if using your credit card, no extra charges if you transfer via visa debit or electronically from bank account

Im seriously considering using them plus taking euro and US dollar bundles for the sky blue market..... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I registered with Azimo, they appear to be reputable

no fees/charges on pickup at the other side, small fee when doing the transfer if using your credit card, no extra charges if you transfer via visa debit or electronically from bank account

Im seriously considering using them plus taking euro and US dollar bundles for the sky blue market..... haha

Definitely think ill be doing this. Looks very straight forward/safe.
    Quick google and found if you use promo code FREE it takes off the €5 fee.

• Advertisement

I'm going for the illegal market, mainly for the craic and the better exchange rate. Although that site does look pretty good, I can't tell people I got real blue euros :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

C2911 wrote: »
    That and El Chalten look good. They're just so damn expensive to get to.

I highly recommend both - the boat trip from El Calafate is spectacular, cruising through icebergs on a milky blue lake, viewing 6/7 glaciers cascading down into the lake. Also the trip out to Perito Moreno glacier is excellent. The bus to Chalten takes about 4 hours, when I was there in 2008 Chalten was undergoing rapid development into a tourist centre, but once you get out of the village the hiking is extraordinary with amazing views round every corner.
    Some pics from both:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99/2366004649/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99/2366833128/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99/2364064622/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99/2364062184/

Well worth the flight to Calafate IMO... and the local beer is pretty nice too. I still miss the steaks and Malbec...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Just booked a crazy cheap flight to Argentina found on http://2015holidays.com I've always wanted to go but i wasnt going to pay 1200 quid to do it when i could get to thailand for half that plus some pocket money.

Im going in May, if anybody would like to join me im planning on doing some class 4 rafting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

househero wrote: »
    Just booked a razy cheap flight to Argentina found on http://2015holidays.com I've always wanted to go but i wasnt going to pay 1200 quid to do it when i could get to thailand for half that plus some pocket money.

Im going in May, if anybody would like to join me im planning on doing some class 4 rafting. :)

I think this BA was originally posted here http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057350271/1 you might find some takers in that thread for the rafting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

ncur wrote: »
    I think this BA was originally posted here http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057350271/1 you might find some takers in that thread for the rafting!

Thanks :) I havent flown that far away on my own before, it would be cool to meet up with somebody up for some adventure sports

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 notreve

acquiescefc,

where or how did you find the promo code info on Azimo?

acquiescefc,

where or how did you find the promo code info on Azimo?

googled 'azimo promo code' found a semi dodgy site with a code and then tried it and it worked...simples

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭headtheball14

Have to say that i was in ba last year and found the blue rate an almighty pain. Everything was crazy expensive unless you used the unofficial rate, for example i had lunch in a restaurant and paid with credit card for 2 people, it was 120 dollars ,blue rate was half that . It,meant that we spent way too much of our time there hanging out in exchange offices rather than enjoying the city. We had to carry crazy amounts of cash with us , then when people hadnt brought enough with them We had to stretch what id brought between us. It put me off the city completely. Still is a great offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

So you had to much cash... But used credit cards... Then not enough cash? Your post doesn't make sense to me at all.
    I'm just back from BA. Simple process to change dollars, no hassle at all. It's a great city, you sure you were in Argentina?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Got a quick question on Azimo. What details do you enter when sending to self to pick up in BS AS?

• Advertisement

bidiots wrote: »
    So you had to much cash... But used credit cards... Then not enough cash? Your post doesn't make sense to me at all.

Yep, i brought cash about 1000 dollars for a week or so but obviously didn't want to walk around with that amount all the time, changed a couple of 100 dollars at a time and brought out about 100 usd for the day, others hadn't brought or changed enough so we had to use a credit card to buy lunch which worked out at 150 usd because of the official exchange rate. We weren't staying downtown so it was a bit more difficult to find exchange offices than if you were there, we had to get a taxi to one. That ok?

That's great. Your post still makes no sense to me though, all travel involves these 'problems', don't know how its BA's fault...anyway, off topic.

Ive a question, as i think im heading down south straight away, to El Calafate from BA. Is there any option to get a decent fx rate down there.
    Azimo doesnt seem to have an office there so I dont know how i can get a decent return if i just transit thru EZE to AEP and down to El C.
    Is there anything blue in either airport or in town? I know its not a very big town but do the hotels do anything or am i stuck with tourist rates.
    My plan is to do a day trip, could i pay in EUR and get a better rate or would it be same?
    Appreciate you knowledgeable folk who have been.

You wont get as good a rate down South. You can still exchange in various places, a few restaurants and Internet shop, but usually a bit less than BA but still more than a bank.
    Interestingly, the best rate I got was in Salta for some reason, not sure whether it was a bouncing exchange rate or whether there were less tourists.
    Side note, in BA, the 'cambio' will bring you to an off street office to conduct the transaction. I expected the same in Salta, struck a deal on the street with the guy, waited for him to start walking towards his office when, bam, out pop the Peso's from his satchel, in front of a square full of police, no questions asked. Que 5 minutes of checking notes for authenticity until I was satisfied....weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Ive a question, as i think im heading down south straight away, to El Calafate from BA. Is there any option to get a decent fx rate down there.
    Azimo doesnt seem to have an office there so I dont know how i can get a decent return if i just transit thru EZE to AEP and down to El C.
    Is there anything blue in either airport or in town? I know its not a very big town but do the hotels do anything or am i stuck with tourist rates.
    My plan is to do a day trip, could i pay in EUR and get a better rate or would it be same?
    Appreciate you knowledgeable folk who have been.

Ask in the hotel, or in a bar...someone will take them off your hands for an above official rate!

Ask in the hotel, or in a bar...someone will take them off your hands for an above official rate!

So if i took a fistful of Euros and paid with that id get a better rate? Or is just dollars. EUR to USD is worst its ever been so dont think i want to buy USD before i go.

And hotels in general, is it better to get pay at hotel bookings, so i can pay after changing to blue ARS?

Sorry im just trying to get the best idea of paying for stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

i wasnt asking about credit cards, i was asking if EUR is accepted as readily as USD in a small town.

Euros were accepted wherever we wen but the rate was not equivalent , usd got much better rates. so it makes more sense to change to usd before travelling

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Flights to Sau Paulo are cheap enough, couple of hundred. That's in June.

Advertisement