Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Personally, I'll plan on making about €2k available for myself, for two weeks. (Hotel already paid for). But tbh I don't expect to spend that much, I'm not going to be spending money on drink and partying etc, and I won't be traveling around too much, so my money will be spent on normal day to day things, with the odd excursion.

If I do go with Azimo, I might just transfer bits at a time, maybe €750 first, and top up when I need to. I don't want to be coming home with a boat load of pesos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I have head chatter amongst the expats here that the internet options like Azimo and Zoom have tightened up. I've heard a few long term "perma-tourists (i.e. no visa but stay here indefinitely) have had issues picking up cash, They've been asked to provide foreign bank statements and extra proof of the origin of cash.

2k euros for 2 weeks is loads. Boatloads.

I'd still recommend changing your money on Florida. Using Zoom or Azimo, you've got the same risk in terms of fake notes as you have with changing on Florida. That's not such a big issue these days, illegal exchange houses are big business and they are protecting their reputation as much as they can. Residents and Argentines use them more than tourists so passing fake notes will put them out of business pretty sharpish.

Any questions around how much things cost, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭walshy_c

When changing money on Calle Florida, is there a minimum amount of Euro or US Dollars that you have to change at one time?

Don't think so, but I'd say the more you have the better rate you'll get. Could be wrong though.

On that note, does anyone know where online I can see the blue dollar rate for euros? Anywhere I've seen so far only has the US$ rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

walshy_c wrote: »
    When changing money on Calle Florida, is there a minimum amount of Euro or US Dollars that you have to change at one time?

Not that I know of but it's important the the bills are of high value. You will be a bad rate for $1 or $5 bills but they will still exchange them. Try get nothing lower than $20 bills and you should get a good rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Don't think so, but I'd say the more you have the better rate you'll get. Could be wrong though.

On that note, does anyone know where online I can see the blue dollar rate for euros? Anywhere I've seen so far only has the US$ rate.

http://www.dolarargentino.com.ar/

Take the Blue Rate with a pinch of salt however, you'll hardly ever get the Blue Rate listed. I think there's an article right at the start of this thread where they go into some details on how it's actually calculated and that it's just a guide to what you'll get on the streets.

Case in point: the first week I was there, on Florida the listed Blue Rate for euros was $AR13.5 and I got $AR13.1. A week later the listed Blue Rate had gone up to $AR14.1, I went back to the same guy on Florida showed him the official rate but he was having none of it. I actually had to argue to get him up to $AR13.1. My target that time was $AR13.5 and I was a bit apprehensive to go for $AR13.1 but as I was only changing €200 that time I realised I was only arguing over about €8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Landed this morning around 8am local time. Sun wasn't even up and it was 20 degrees, humidity is an absolute killer!!!

Got to the hotel around 930, they don't allow check in until 3pm, but they let me store my luggage. So I've been walking around city centre for the last few hours, with all my cash and passport on me, as well as electrical items in my carry on luggage. With no pesos and no coverage in my phone to even look at a map to see where I can go/what I can do. Most things seem to be closed at 10 on a Sat morning, but there's still loads of guys around shouting "cambio", they look dodgy as **** tbh. I didn't want to go with any of them with ALL my money on me. So my first priority was finding some internet access, and by pure coincidence I came across a cambio booth in a small shopping centre off Florida, it was pretty much the only thing open. So I tested the waters and exchanged 300 at 13.5, I had no idea what the official 'unofficial' rate was seeing as I had no internet, but I'd checked it a day or two and it was around that so I was happy enough. I wonder if it had been less had I gone through one of the street guys? Anyway, I've spent some of the pesos without a problem so happy days, think I'll stick with that booth I found.

Hotel room became available early, so am about to have a much needed shower!!! Then watch champions league, if anyone knows where it would be on in BA let me know.

PS. J Lo asses EVERYWHERE.

Pps. Absolutely no luck getting a sim, no one speaks English!!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Was looking at flight from Vienna to Bueno Aires through gotogate website via SKyscanner ?

Has anyone bought with these guys before ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Was looking at flight from Vienna to Bueno Aires through gotogate website via SKyscanner ?

Has anyone bought with these guys before ?

Currently in Buenos Aires after booking through GoToGate. Safe and legitimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Is it a case of book ur tickets, pay and go ?

It appears that most people have problems with the amendment of dates etc etc - is this correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Is it a case of book ur tickets, pay and go ?

I booked our tickets through Skyscanner after seeing this deal. The confirmation was with GoToGate. The only change we've had is a change of airport in Buenos Aires for our flight back. But it's to the closer airport so nothing major and Lufthansa were behind that. I can only say our trip has been flawless, can't speak for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Just wanted to thank the OP for posting this. Once in a lifetime holiday, just an amazing experience. Also spent a few days in Iguazu Falls & flew up to Rio from there.
    walshy_c wrote: »

I changed €400 without an issue. Make sure to negotiate, the guy offered me 13 Pesos against a Euro so i said 14 in the hope that i might get him to 13.5 but he just agreed to 14!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

simons104 wrote: »
    Just wanted to thank the OP for posting this. Once in a lifetime holiday, just an amazing experience. Also spent a few days in Iguazu Falls & flew up to Rio from there.

I changed €400 without an issue. Make sure to negotiate, the guy offered me 13 Pesos against a Euro so i said 14 in the hope that i might get him to 13.5 but he just agreed to 14!

So glad you enjoyed it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

So I'm sitting at Ezeiza airport, seemingly the last of the Boardsies to leave Argentina.
    Huge thanks to the OP - hadn't planned this trip originally but couldn't say no at the price.
    Great trip, too little time - only 3 weeks here.
    Spent first four days in BA, walking all around the city. Very European. Splurged - for me - in Desnivel on a steak dinner. Superb place, very authentic, busy and great food.
    Took the ferry to Montevideo for 3 days - worth booking this in advance if you're planning on going - there are substantial savings available. Pay in cash to save yourself that extra 30% on the exchange rate. Montevideo was fine, typical big city. Didn't visit Colonia because Colonia Express, who I traveled over with, wouldn't allow me to be picked up in Colonia on the way back. Daft but there you go.
    Took a bus - 18 hours - to Iguazu. Long journey but great bus - Express Singer - and utterly worth it. If you're debating whether it's worth the journey, don't. It's a magnificent sight. Not a lot to do in Puerto Iguazu but there again, you're only there for one thing anyway.
    Back to BA and took a flight to El Calafate to visit the Moreno glacier. Flew with Aerolineas - on time, good service in spite of their poor reputation. By the way, that little scam to pay the local rates for flights is eminently doable - shame I found out how after I'd taken the flight. It would have saved me 100 euro.
    The glacier was stunning. Took the boat ride to get closer and saw part of it calve - incredible sight. Two nights there then back to BA.
    I hadn't planned anything in advance and I didn't have enough time left to get to Salta so I took a bus to Córdoba instead. Meh. It's a lot more indigenous but there isn't much to detain you there from what I could see.
    Just one word of warning - Boca is a beautiful part of BA and it would be foolish not to visit it, however you really do need to such to where the crowds are. I like to walk through cities and instead of taking the bus I walked down to Boca from San Telmo (another gorgeous part of the city). It was about 1pm in the afternoon and I ended up on a couple of quiet streets. Knowing which direction I needed to go I walked swiftly in the direction of Boca.
    As I was within about 5 minutes of the touristic part of Boca, I saw a guy advancing in my direction from the opposite side of the street. I kept my eyes on him and as he approached he was pointing at his watch. Knew he wanted something and then - BOOM - from behind, a guy slung a scarf quickly over my head and yanked back.
    My instinctive reaction was to duck down, the scarf came off my head and with it my hat and glasses. Whether it was my quick reaction or just good luck, it spooked them and they scurried off without anything belonging to me.
    Boca is only dangerous if you veer from the well trodden path. Take a bus/taxi there - it's a wonderful place. Have your photo taken with the guy dressed as Maradona - just stick to where the crowds are.
    One last tip - I changed all my money in Uruguay. Same rate as you'd get in Argentina and all carried out in perfectly safe cambios which litter the streets in Montevideo. Thanks to Islanderre from this thread, I already had some pesos when going over at first.
    Great country, great experience, long post. Thanks again OP.

Advertisement