Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Reading section 5 on wiki, rapes, rapes, peep holes, druggings, previously convicted rapist possibly raping kids, Couch surfing ambassador ( Ambassador status gained by positive reviews?) kicked off site for odd behaviour.

Then CEO of Company said rapes were definitely under reported.

Then further down page website censorship...so reviews mean f-all.

wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchSurfing

It's not a Hol to do on the cheap. Most people are only going to get one go at this and you shouldn't rush it.

Reading the thread is stressing me out alone never mind actually doing all this days of travelling to see stuff hundreds of miles apart to save a few quid.

Jaysus no.

That's a bit sensationalist. I'm sure bad things haven't happened. Hell a couch surfer was even murdered at a party thrown by the host here in the US. But it's hardly the norm. If you are female you can go stay with a female with good reviews. Whatever about rapes not being reported. But a rape victim is hardly going to go home and leave a glowing review for a female host that facilitated a rape.

Numerous rapes happen in hotels in Vegas each year. But you don't hear of safety concerns about staying there.

And you can very much do South America cheap. The only thing I would advise is springing the extra cash for buses. As cheaper ones take lesser quality roads, hire less competent drivers and obviously not as comfortable. They can often be robbed also as they take non tolled roads that aren't policed. But you can cheap on food, accommodation and do it yourself tours no problem. Once researched and common sense applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

notreve wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm or deny that this year's Saint Patrick's parade in BA will be held on Sunday March 15th

[apparently it usually takes place on the Sunday prior]

Lollapalooza is on the following weekend according to my tickets :)
    Doubt they'd clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If you go to Salta you will have to budget in for a 2/3 day visit (at least) to the hinterlands. There's no point just visiting Salta town, it's the province that is fascinating.

If it's your first time in S. America and you're on a budget (both time & money) I'd try and stick to some of the main places - BA, Iguazu, Patagonia (Calafate/Chalten). I like Bariloche, but it's a slice of Switzerland and isn't very South American-y.

The distances are huge, 24 hours on a bus means you lose a day and a half after you factor in hanging around bus stations and trying to catch up on sleep/shower etc. It's not like Europe where you can hop on a train and be somewhere interesting in an hour, it has a real feel of a place that was only discovered yesterday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

Took the risk and just booked it.

Got it from Edinburgh (I'm in Glasgow) for £267 including their fees. Couldn't turn down an opportunity like that. My booking is on the Lufthansa website already. Thinking of maybe taking a flight to Santiago after 2 or 3 days in Buenos Aires and spending the majority of my time in Chile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MissNomer wrote: »
    Are you always this judgemental?

Against people who go on foreign holidays only to find the nearest Irish bar? Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

Against people who go on foreign holidays only to find the nearest Irish bar? Yep.

Nobody said they were doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

St patricks day isn't that memorable in Buenos Aires anyways. There's a parade and was some Irish dancing thing. But away from the scheduled activites it just felt like any other day.

Also if mixing with locals is something on the agenda. I'd recommend learning some español. English isn't as widely spoken as one might expect for a big city. Mostly older business people speak it.

What's the worst case scenario when LH notice this?

Demanding we pay the surcharge (assuming that's why they're so cheap)? Or cancelling our ticket altogether? I don't like the idea of booking accomodation / internal flights only for them to cancel on me a few weeks before I'm due to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

C2911 wrote: »
    What's the worst case scenario when LH notice this?

Demanding we pay the surcharge (assuming that's why they're so cheap)? Or cancelling our ticket altogether? I don't like the idea of booking accomodation / internal flights only for them to cancel on me a few weeks before I'm due to go.

Have Ryanair asked for money off you when you got a good fare?, You bought it in good faith and it is a bulk ticket so Lufthansa will not know how much nor care how much you paid. You have your eticket you are booked and ready to go,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

Booked for me and 3 others - July 1 to July 16 :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

did the crazy thing and booked for july. got confirmation email and checked on Lufthansa to see if it showed up, which it did. says boarding pass is pending is that normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

So how kosher is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dadoffay

judeboy101 wrote: »
    So how kosher is it?

Very kosher - the main argument of LH would be to claim that the mistake fare was obvious which would entitle them to xxl a 12€ First class flight, however this YQ full dump resembles just a very good special offer, so the legal team at LH would not have a leg to stand on. Nonetheless, they could bluntly offer people a full refund and some would even take them up on this offer. As long as the ticket has been issued, be it on 044, 045, 220 etc. ticket stock, you are very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

dadoffay wrote: »
    Very kosher - the main argument of LH would be to claim that the mistake fare was obvious which would entitle them to xxl a 12€ First class flight, however this YQ full dump resembles just a very good special offer, so the legal team at LH would not have a leg to stand on. Nonetheless, they could bluntly offer people a full refund and some would even take them up on this offer. As long as the ticket has been issued, be it on 044, 045, 220 etc. ticket stock, you are very safe.

I have absolutely no idea what that means but I appreciate your reassurance! :)

dadoffay wrote: »

Does xxl mean upgrade? :confused:

Anyway lads, this offer has been up for days now, and the 'mistake' is totally their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Booked for me and 3 others - July 1 to July 16 :D

Did u have any problem getting the price for 4 people? I am quoted 271 for my dates for one person, but when I search with 2 people or more, the price for person shoots up to 600+.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Does xxl mean upgrade? :confused:

It means cancel - which LH would certainly do if first class inventory were loaded at €12 per ticket.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    It means cancel - which LH would certainly do if first class inventory were loaded at €12 per ticket.

Sorry. I've had a few glasses of wine.

:(

• Advertisement

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Did u have any problem getting the price for 4 people? I am quoted 271 for my dates for one person, but when I search with 2 people or more, the price for person shoots up to 600+.

Cheers

Could it be that the cheapest seats are now sold out except for one? That happened to me when I booked flights to Turkey last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

If these were biz class seats Lufty might cancel but given that they are in Economy, I dont think Lufty will cancel as the flight may not be completely full down the back and even a few quid is better than none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Can I ask what the weather is like in July m. It's the only time I can go but would like some warm weather for my summer holidays!:)

cold! July is midwinter, 5 to 15 i guess would be the range. Shorter days, darker nights.

notreve wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm or deny that this year's Saint Patrick's parade in BA will be held on Sunday March 15th

[apparently it usually takes place on the Sunday prior]

never been to the parade, probably fairly average. All the fun happens later on.

C2911 wrote: »
    Took the risk and just booked it.

Got it from Edinburgh (I'm in Glasgow) for £267 including their fees. Couldn't turn down an opportunity like that. My booking is on the Lufthansa website already. Thinking of maybe taking a flight to Santiago after 2 or 3 days in Buenos Aires and spending the majority of my time in Chile.

Santiago is drab drab drab! Dont do it!

Santiago is drab drab drab! Dont do it!

That's what I thought, but so many people are saying they loved it. :confused: Plus its horribly, horribly polluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Del007

If you're just going to Chile just to see Santiago then I wouldnt bother.

Has anyone thought of going from Santiago to the north of chile and heading across the Atacama desert to Bolivia? It really is an incredible journey. It's the most unusual place that I've ever been to

Del007 wrote: »
    If you're just going to Chile just to see Santiago then I wouldnt bother.

Has anyone thought of going from Santiago to the north of chile and heading across the Atacama desert to Bolivia? It really is an incredible journey. It's the most unusual place that I've ever been to

I'm mostly interesting in doing the Andes border crossing. If I do end up visiting any of Chile, I'd like to see Valparaiso - it's only 2 hours or so from Santiago by road. I hope to go back for a month or more in the future and do Patagonia.

I'm mostly interesting in doing the Andes border crossing. If I do end up visiting any of Chile, I'd like to see Valparaiso - it's only 2 hours or so from Santiago by road. I hope to go back for a month or more in the future and do Patagonia.

Valparaiso, Puncon, Puerto Varas/Montt and San Pedro de Atacama also interest me. Santiago would just be for the flight in and then maybe a couple of days.

I'm only going for a couple of weeks though. If I was going for a month and I could afford to lose time if the mountain pass was closed then the journey between Mendoza and Santiago would be top of the list.

Right now I don't really know what I'm going to do, barring my first three nights in Buenos Aires. The distances are so vast so I'm going to have to sit down and plan what the best use of my time will be and how cost effective each place is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Yep me too. Only the two weeks there.

The funny thing is the internal flights are pissing me off as they cost almost as much as the flights there.
    Most likely the falls up North in the first few days and then to Valdes Peninsula for diving and kayaking and some trekking. I don't think I can justify air travel or stand the overland routes further South.

Although BA does look class I will be by myself which could be a bit crap in a big town of people - I think I would have more interaction and enjoyment travelling and doing activities with others in Patagonia. I think a short stay in BA would be OK, I prefer the outdoor stuff to drinking (enough gets done here).

Anyone thinking of buying a guidebook? Fodor's (2015 edition) and Rough guide (2013) look interesting. Lonely Planet is a bit oversubscribed imo.

Advertisement