Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yep me too. Only the two weeks there.

The funny thing is the internal flights are pissing me off as they cost almost as much as the flights there.
    Most likely the falls up North in the first few days and then to Valdes Peninsula for diving and kayaking and some trekking. I don't think I can justify air travel or stand the overland routes further South.

Although BA does look class I will be by myself which could be a bit crap in a big town of people - I think I would have more interaction and enjoyment travelling and doing activities with others in Patagonia. I think a short stay in BA would be OK, I prefer the outdoor stuff to drinking (enough gets done here).

Anyone thinking of buying a guidebook? Fodor's (2015 edition) and Rough guide (2013) look interesting. Lonely Planet is a bit oversubscribed imo.

I don't know if this trick works or is still applicable. But back in 2009 I was in Argentina buying internal flights in Patagonia. LanChile/LanArgentina was the main airline we used and we quickly discovered that they charge more for a 'foreigner' ticket than a local one, typically 30% more. So we deleted our cookies and went and booked it using the local spanish version of the site and we got the locals price.

Not sure if that still works but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Oh and for another bargain alert when in Buenos Aires check out La Cabera restaurant. Not only is it one o the best steakhouses in the city also if you show up at 7pm and have your dinner eaten by 8pm they'll wipe 50% of the bill, wine included. The food in Argentina is just out of this world, meat lovers will be in paradise

http://gobackpacking.com/best-parillas-in-buenos-aires/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I think that I'm going to pull the trigger on this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 pete_fire

thankfully this deal is still working

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

pete_fire wrote: »
    thankfully this deal is still working

Ok - excuse my ignorance, I can't seem to find the flights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

justback83 wrote: »
    Ok - excuse my ignorance, I can't seem to find the flights!

Play around with the dates on Logitravel. Mondays and Thursdays seem to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Don't think so. The same flights work out at about £460 without the UK/Ireland connection, as opposed to £250 - 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Told my mate and his girlfriend I was going, they had been there recently and gave me a few tips.
    One, which is probably well known to seasoned travellers, is that you'd make significant savings brining in $'s and exchanging them on the street on the 'blue market' and not in the bank.
    Just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences exchanging bitcoin in B.A. under similar circumstances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

The funny thing is the internal flights are pissing me off as they cost almost as much as the flights there.
    Most likely the falls up North in the first few days and then to Valdes Peninsula for diving and kayaking and some trekking. I don't think I can justify air travel or stand the overland routes further South.

Although BA does look class I will be by myself which could be a bit crap in a big town of people - I think I would have more interaction and enjoyment travelling and doing activities with others in Patagonia. I think a short stay in BA would be OK, I prefer the outdoor stuff to drinking (enough gets done here).

Anyone thinking of buying a guidebook? Fodor's (2015 edition) and Rough guide (2013) look interesting. Lonely Planet is a bit oversubscribed imo.

Download the "Buenos Aires City Guide" app by TripAdvisor. It’s great to help you find good places in areas you’re not familiar with. It’s all offline and Free with no data roaming charges. It uses the GPS on your phone like a compass. It will point you to the best Restaurants, Attractions, nightlife etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Did u have any problem getting the price for 4 people? I am quoted 271 for my dates for one person, but when I search with 2 people or more, the price for person shoots up to 600+.

Cheers

We did when we tried to book our preferred dates but when we messed around with them we got it to work. We actually booked it as a booking of 3 and a booking of 1 as we didn't have enough on 1 card.

We had the two browsers open at the same time though and did them within a second of one another

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ruddy1987

Does anyone know, I am looking to fly into BA and back out of Rio, i note on the flights the return trip flies BA to RIO and then back to europe from Rio, does anyone know it is possible not to take the first leg and just arrive in Rio and fly home?

Surprised that nobody at the airline / travel agency has picked up on this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

No, If you miss the BA to Rio flight the rest of the ticket will be cancelled I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 FF7 7777

C2911 wrote: »
    Surprised that nobody at the airline / travel agency has picked up on this yet.

Probably an actual sale on a quiet route for that time of year there.

Is It OK to Cheat Airlines if It Saves You Money?
    A federal lawsuit is bringing public attention to “hidden city” ticketing, the technique of buying an airline ticket between two cities with a connection but ditching the rest of the trip. Say, for example, you want to fly from Boston to San Francisco but notice that a ticket from Boston to Seattle—with a connection in San Francisco—is cheaper. Once your flight lands in San Francisco, you prance out of the airport at your intended destination, pocketing the savings.

businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-31/united-and-orbitz-lawsuit-against-skiplaggedcom-raises-ethical-questions?hootPostID=88306f2f5413c614a3004dc8e4cce0bd

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stoofer

SNNUS wrote: »
    No, If you miss the BA to Rio flight the rest of the ticket will be cancelled I'm afraid.

Even if the BA-Rio leg is with a different airline to the Rio-Dublin connection?
    (e.g. aerolineas argentinas and Lufthansa)

stoofer wrote: »
    Even if the BA-Rio leg is with a different airline to the Rio-Dublin connection?
    (e.g. aerolineas argentinas and Lufthansa)

It is all on one Eticket, I work in the airline game so have seen this when people have missed a leg and turned up at the next city trying to check in but the ticket is cancelled if you miss any of the legs of the trip.

summed up here quiet well

Quote:
    A federal lawsuit is bringing public attention to “hidden city” ticketing, the technique of buying an airline ticket between two cities with a connection but ditching the rest of the trip. Say, for example, you want to fly from Boston to San Francisco but notice that a ticket from Boston to Seattle—with a connection in San Francisco—is cheaper. Once your flight lands in San Francisco, you prance out of the airport at your intended destination, pocketing the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Encountered the same problem in 2007 when travelling internally around Sth America. Got a tip at the time that flights could be booked cheaper by people based in Sth America!
    So got the name of an agent there who booked all our internal flights for less than half what it would have cost us booking from here.

But not sure if that still applies

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What if you miss a leg because of a late connecting flight?

If your connecting flight is late the Airline will re route you to your destination and will get you there as it is their responsibility as it is all one ticket like we have booked here through logitravel. If you missed the connection in Frankfurt it is up to Lufthansa to get you to BA. This happens all the time so it is normal.

I'm struggling to find affordable travel within Argentina.

I've ruled out Patagonia as I'm going between April 23rd and the 7th May, which I understand is out of season. I could fly to Chile for less than I could to the likes of Salta, Mendoza or Iguazu.

How many days would people recommend for Salta / Cafayate etc.

I think my main problem is that while I'd love to do Iguazu Falls it's so far out of the way and so expensive to get to if I want to take in the north west as well (which I definitely do - it seems to have the most appeal out of anywhere and April / May seems like the perfect time to go there).

Right now I'm thinking of just splitting my time between Buenos Aires and Salta. I meant to post the 5th up there ^ but I can't edit my posts for some reason.

So:

23rd - Buenos Aires
    24th - Buenos Aires
    25th - Buenos Aires
    26th - Colonia, Uruguay day trip
    27th - Fly to Salta
    28th - Salta (and surrounding area)
    29th - Salta (and surrounding area)
    30th - Salta (and surrounding area)
    1st -Fly to Buenos Aires

I have three further nights to use. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Not expired. See a couple of options just putting April in.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

youre right mate.
    i sent secret flying a message letting them know and theyve now unexpired their post

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

secret flying...the website that found the error fare.
    see the 1st post of the thread.

its ok i understood ya :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

secret flying...the website that found the error fare.
    see the 1st post of the thread.

Yeah sorry, mis-read it. Thought you meant they had expired it on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

C2911 wrote: »
    I think my main problem is that while I'd love to do Iguazu Falls it's so far out of the way and so expensive to get to if I want to take in the north west as well (which I definitely do - it seems to have the most appeal out of anywhere and April / May seems like the perfect time to go there).

Right now I'm thinking of just splitting my time between Buenos Aires and Salta. I meant to post the 5th up there ^ but I can't edit my posts for some reason.

So:

23rd - Buenos Aires
    24th - Buenos Aires
    25th - Buenos Aires
    26th - Colonia, Uruguay day trip
    27th - Fly to Salta
    28th - Salta (and surrounding area)
    29th - Salta (and surrounding area)
    30th - Salta (and surrounding area)
    1st -Fly to Buenos Aires

I have three further nights to use. Any suggestions?

Don't miss Patagonia....fly to El Calafate> Glaciers, trekking (El Chalten). A must

Advertisement