Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

For me the highlights were Iguazu falls, Patagonia (El Chaltén, Puerto Madryn, El Calafate, Perito Moreno glacier in particular). I had got a cruise down to Antarctica from Ushuaia which was my main highlight of the region. But that's expensive and you said you wanted to keep costs down. The whole trip down south would be quite expensive actually. A flight can be around 300 euro. And they can often be delayed. I recommend LAN over Aerolineas Argentinas if you fly anywhere. AA are forever delayed and have a habit of sending luggage elsewhere.

Outside of that I liked Mendoza and Bariloche. I also went on a Che Guevara route through Rosario, Córdoba and Samiapatia in Bolvia (house he was born in, lived in and were he was killed) which was cool.

I stayed on an Estancia in Patagonia. It was a good experience. But I don't think it was something I would go out of my way for again. It's basically just staying on a farm. You can help out if you want.

Yep, the whole cruise/Patagonia thing is way out of my price range. It's something I hope to do in the future when I can afford to go the whole hog.

Still not sure whether or not to attempt Chile. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

MissNomer wrote: »
    Still not sure whether or not to attempt Chile. Hmmm.
    Bear in mind Chile is expensive. European prices for food & accommodation.

hmmm wrote: »
    Bear in mind Chile is expensive. European prices for food & accommodation.

Would be couchsurfing anyway, but isn't Argentina expensive too? I had assumed they were both expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

hmmm wrote: »
    Iguazu is a once in a lifetime type of place, but leave room to do both sides over 2 days. The Brazilian & Paraguayan cities nearby are properly dangerous places however, stay in Argentina.

BA is interesting - I've been there a few times, but 2/3 days is plenty for me. Crime is quite high, be careful.

I wouldn't really agree with the above. Foz do Iguaçu is quite safe for most of the town. It's not that big and a lot of Foz is safe to walk at night. Very little attacks against tourists. Still the usual common sense should be used. Ciudad del este isn't dangerous either. It's a horrible looking place but there isn't really any crime towards tourists. Pickpockets on the buses would mostly be the height of it. But that's true of South America in general.

It's the same in Buenos Aires. I wouldn't consider it a high crime place. Higher than other parts of Argentina...yes. But it's localized in BA. Areas outside of Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano, Caballito, etc can have poor areas where you'd have a higher chance of being robbed. But most is opportunistic. Don't wear cameras around your neck, expensive visible jewellery, take out wads of money in shops, go to the bank and then hail a taxi in front of it, etc. If you use common sense like that. Buenos Aires will be no more dangerous than New York, London, Toronto or any other big populated city.

Would be couchsurfing anyway, but isn't Argentina expensive too? I had assumed they were both expensive.

It's more expensive than Bolivia, Peru or Colombia. Still cheaper than European prices. Just as Chile is. You can splash out more but you can still do most things for cheap. Transport will probably be the most unavoidable expense for you since you are couchsurfing. For a cama (bed) type bus from BA to Iguazu. It will be around 70 euro each way. Don't cheap on a bus would be my advice. The good buses are well worth the extra money and often include food, drinks, TV's etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Del007

Iwas there in 2006 and it was incredibly cheap, the value for money was unreal. Chile on the other hand was compatible to here

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

If your a football fan, I'd recommend Montevideo to see the National Stadium which hosted the first world cup final in 1930. I was there in 2010 just before the World Cup, and the museum curator gave us a guided tour of the whole stadium. I think he thought we were over from Ireland just to go there. We had good banter about Henry's handball, as France were in Uruguay's group. That was late May, and it was 10c and very cold btw.

Re: football, then it's highly recommended to take in some matches for the athmosphere alone. I'm about to pull the trigger on this for March, abd plan to get a Boca game and maybe one in Rosaria as well.

I came down from Brazil in 2010, and took in the Falls on the way. A definite must see, and I would echo the need for 2 days, one for each side. I know we saw the Argentina side on the 2nd day, and had plenty of time to catch a bus around 7pm which had us in BA the next day. So very doable if people on a tight schedule.

Looking at either Patagonia myself, or else Mendoza and maybe up to north Chile and the salt flats as missed all these the last time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Would the bus be recommended to get to the falls? I realise it's a long trek, but is the scenery nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

just saying i traveled for three months around sth america as a woman alone- could not have stuck out more due to my height and have red head skin and had absolutely no probs. absolutely loved it thats why Im going back, met so many people just had a ball. so as long as you have a bit of common sense and dont go into the dangerous areas (and i have no sense of direction and always got lost) you will be fine and will love it. Im looking at pantagonia as missed it last time. salta was incredible so were the salt flats. just dont try cram too much in as we tend to forget how big it is and iguazu falls are a 25 hour bus journey (from what i remember) from BA. so google distances before you plan anything as you want to enjoy yourself and not stress too much as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

L1985 wrote: »
    just saying i traveled for three months around sth america as a woman alone- could not have stuck out more due to my height and have red head skin and had absolutely no probs. absolutely loved it thats why Im going back, met so many people just had a ball. so as long as you have a bit of common sense and dont go into the dangerous areas (and i have no sense of direction and always got lost) you will be fine and will love it. Im looking at pantagonia as missed it last time. salta was incredible so were the salt flats. just dont try cram too much in as we tend to forget how big it is and iguazu falls are a 25 hour bus journey (from what i remember) from BA. so google distances before you plan anything as you want to enjoy yourself and not stress too much as well :)

What? :confused: When I can ask everyone on here? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

You sound like a cool traveller! Can't wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

yeah I think people have been going a bit crazy with some of their plans-all I can say is sth america is a different type of holiday and best laid plans and all of that. You dont want to spend three days of a two week holiday on a bus (even if they do feed you and give you some very good Argentinean wine :) ) or in two or three different airports. you want to experience the country as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

From personal experience from those of you who have been, Salta or Mendoza? I'm going to need to squeeze Iguazu in as well from what I've read. Might be tight.

This is all assuming the airline/OTA don't pull the plug and leave us all majorly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

Is anyone else slightly concerned about the 1 hr 10 min stopover. I've searched all over the place to try and get the same fare but with an earlier flight to FRA but can't.

I've had a Lufthansa flight cancelled / delayed before and they've just put me on the next one. The problem is that the next one isn't until the next day.

Checked my itinerary there and the connecting flight in Frankfurt is with the same Airline & Terminal I arrive in. Don't think it should be an issue assuming everything is running on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

C2911 wrote: »
    Is anyone else slightly concerned about the 1 hr 10 min stopover. I've searched all over the place to try and get the same fare but with an earlier flight to FRA but can't.

I've had a Lufthansa flight cancelled / delayed before and they've just put me on the next one. The problem is that the next one isn't until the next day.

No, anything upwards of 60 mins is doable and its same terminal and the incoming flight is 80+% on time. As already mentioned the airlines know who is on their schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

Do you do couchsurfing much?

I think that would be more dangerous than BA.

Checked my itinerary there and the connecting flight in Frankfurt is with the same Airline & Terminal I arrive in. Don't think it should be an issue assuming everything is running on time.

Make sure you know how close they are and the times for the security check. Just because the alpha numeric number implies same terminal it may not be just a short walk from landing gate to departure. Frankfurt is a hub and is huge.

Also to answer your other question about the bus journey to iguazu. Not a journey full of scenery from what I remember. A lot of my trek up was in darkness. The bus isn't bad though. Go for viabariloce or pluma and spring for cama. It's a comfortable seat that pretty much reclines into a bed. You get food, English tv and there can be a bar with water and coffee etc. I had beer on one. Can't remember if that was to iguazu. That was an ejecutivo one I think.

If money isn't an issue flying would be better if time is tight. Only 2 or 3 hours up to Puerto iguazu.

Not if you go for verified accounts with plenty of positive reviews.

• Advertisement

No, anything upwards of 60 mins is doable and its same terminal and the incoming flight is 80+% on time. As already mentioned the airlines know who is on their schedule.

It is. In certain airports. In my opinion the 60 minute minimum stopover allowed should be increased. I've missed flights in London Heathrow, frankfurt, Chicago and Jfk all with 60 or 70 minute lay overs. All due to slight delays and having to go through slow security lines. I only recently would have missed one through Heathrow to Rio except that I opted for a longer layover. Had I picked the later flight and went with just an hour I would have missed it. Once the airline is prepared to put you on another plane they don't seem to really mind letting it go. Even when your name is being called. They also need to take into account your delay holding up any connections for the passenger's already on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

Not if you go for verified accounts with plenty of positive reviews.

Reading section 5 on wiki, rapes, rapes, peep holes, druggings, previously convicted rapist possibly raping kids, Couch surfing ambassador ( Ambassador status gained by positive reviews?) kicked off site for odd behaviour.

Then CEO of Company said rapes were definitely under reported.

Then further down page website censorship...so reviews mean f-all.

wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchSurfing

It's not a Hol to do on the cheap. Most people are only going to get one go at this and you shouldn't rush it.

Reading the thread is stressing me out alone never mind actually doing all this days of travelling to see stuff hundreds of miles apart to save a few quid.

Jaysus no.

Done it a few times. If I do it in Argentina, it'd be either staying with people real-life friends have stayed with or staying with a female host or family with lots of reviews. At least with Couchsurfing you get to choose who you stay with. I've met some total freaks in hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I know its still going to be a risk re the connection but id rather risk it than the other option which was a 7 hr layover.

Bear in mind there is a 'fast lane' for security check if your flight departure is imminent. It will be displayed on monitor which flights are allowed to use according to this. http://static.fraport.de/ONLINE/Flippbook_trans/EN/index.html#/6/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

yeah I think people have been going a bit crazy with some of their plans-all I can say is sth america is a different type of holiday and best laid plans and all of that. You dont want to spend three days of a two week holiday on a bus (even if they do feed you and give you some very good Argentinean wine :) ) or in two or three different airports. you want to experience the country as well :)

Buses can serve a multitude of purposes if you plan them right. If you get something like an overnight cama-suite then you are saving on airline cost, hotel cost while getting a decent nights sleep(semi lie flat beds) and arrive into the city centre as opposed to an airport mile outside.

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Buses can serve a multitude of purposes if you plan them right. If you get something like an overnight cama-suite then you are saving on airline cost, hotel cost while getting a decent nights sleep(semi lie flat beds) and arrive into the city centre as opposed to an airport mile outside.

Yep, that's what I often do. It's quite a convenient way of getting a night's sleep. I do agree that it's not ideal to be zipping around here, there and everywhere but who can afford to go back to Argentina multiple times?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 notreve

Can anyone confirm or deny that this year's Saint Patrick's parade in BA will be held on Sunday March 15th

[apparently it usually takes place on the Sunday prior]

If you want to go to a St Patricks Day parade, why not just stay in Dublin?

• Advertisement

If you want to go to a St Patricks Day parade, why not just stay in Dublin?

Maybe they're interested in seeing how the Argentinians celebrate it? Could be a good talking point to get chatting with the locals? I was in Madrid one Paddy's day and found it a great way to get chatting to local Spanish people.

Are you always this judgemental?

Advertisement