Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It wasn't just the ST and Amiga, the 8 bit micros were huge sellers as well, well into the 90s. Sure I had my C64 until Christmas 1993 when I got a hand me down Arnotts display model. The NES priced itself out of the market in Europe with games costing about 50 to 60 Irish pounds and the base console was woefully overpriced as well. All games were shipped from Japan increasing cost. Sega/Virgin were selling the master system cheaper and games cost about 25-30 pounds on that system. On the home micros prices were cheaper again. Most or Europe especially the UK and Ireland were deep in a recession do the NES just didn't make sense. The big European areas for the NES was Germany which got a big push since Nintendo HQ was there and the Nordic countries where the distributors did an excellent job advertising the system.

It's also a bit annoying when the videogame crash is brought up so much particularly by a European publication. The crash was localised to the U.S. only with the videogames market in both Japan and Europe remaining vibrant and healthy. There were some small crashes in Europe, many 8 bit devs folded in the early 80s when piracy became rampant and the industry consolidated around big publishers. However the 16 bit market was just taking off then.

The SNES and Megadrive finally making a splash in Europe was due to the consoles offering cheaper and often better experiences than the 8 and 16 bit systems, well an initially cheaper investment when compared to the 16 bit systems. Arcade quality games and graphics were what people wanted and the japanese developed games on these systems gave people that. They also came along when piracy was getting out of control on the 16 bit systems,
    yup that sums it up. The NES was an also ran in the 80s over here. Nintendo farmed it out to Mattel as they didnt really bother with Europe .it did a bit better when it was sold at a massively discounted price in about 93 /4 ..long after the snes debuted. The fact that the market was 8 bit /16 bit home computers mainly up until the nineties is the reason the video game crash didnt really hit here.
    Its kind of why I hate the US NES=all retrogaming attitude .( and even worse when its aped by people in Ireland and the UK ) . also Nintendos " Mario part of the family since 85" advirtising slogan a while back annoyed me so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It wasn't an Italian plumber that was our adopted family member. Our adopted family member was a thatcher era miner with a monster hangover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It wasn't an Italian plumber that was our adopted family member. Our adopted family member was a thatcher era miner with a monster hangover.

Alas, poor Monty...
    Or perhaps you erroneously are thinking of Willy, as always Retr0, as always

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Alas, poor Monty...
    Or perhaps you erroneously are thinking of Willy, as always Retr0, as always

LJLh1eh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

People in the office are currently enjoying the Taito X2 version of two player Super Street Fighter IV.

Got it working by totally copying files from my original Vewlix cabs at home of which I have plenty... of course...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

MrVestek wrote: »
    People in the office are currently enjoying the Taito X2 version of two player Super Street Fighter IV.

Got it working by totally copying files from my original Vewlix cabs at home of which I have plenty... of course...

I actually found getting TTX/TTX2 stuff working with Hyperspin quite easy....but then again, why wouldn't I considering I was following a guide that takes all the guess work out of it :o

Myrddin wrote: »
    I actually found getting TTX/TTX2 stuff working with Hyperspin quite easy....but then again, why wouldn't I considering I was following a guide that takes all the guess work out of it :o

Got a link? I haven't actually bothered getting it working via Hyperspin yet I just launched it manually.

Got a link? I haven't actually bothered getting it working via Hyperspin yet I just launched it manually.

Ooh, leave it with me & I'll try find it :)

Fairly sure it was this one. I got all my TTX/2 games working, exiting & screen flipping etc. Absolutely no idea how I done it now, but all my info came from guides so it can definitely be done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Yeah. That's the guide. I had a 'mare getting mine working and its still not right. I believe it is very system dependent.

Original Taito hardware uses nvidia gfx card. Supposedly it can become a bit of a dog if you're using something else in your own rig.

• Advertisement

Yeah. That's the guide. I had a 'mare getting mine working and its still not right. I believe it is very system dependent.

Think I heard that myself actually, some people just seem to have an easy time of it while others are blistered with problems...all using the same methods.
    Original Taito hardware uses nvidia gfx card. Supposedly it can become a bit of a dog if you're using something else in your own rig.

Interesting. There's an Nvidia card in mine, which might explain why mine was a straight forward setup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Probably one of my favourite smooth mcgroove videos just got released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

What do ye usually do for the Hallowe'en one? Would love to tag along if there's room, I'm all up for throwing caution to the wind and meeting strangers off the internet.

Can any recommend some good horror games I could get from the PSN store? Retro obviously. I know the PS1 Resident Evils and Silent Hill are on there, anything else worth a look?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are getting PS1 games makes sure you get them from the US PAN otherwise you will end up with the compromised PAL releases (although the Resi games are the exception with Capcom releasing the U.S. versions of them).

There's corpse party on PSP which is excellent, just make sure to play with headphones because of the excellent 3D sound.

On PS1 you have Dino Crisis, Parasite Eve, Echo Nigt, Shadow Tower and Tecmo's Deception.

Those are the ones I'd recommend.

One PS2 there is Baroque, the three Fatal Frame/Project Zero games, Siren (PS3 game is great as well, Trapt.

If you want true horror there's also the God awful Legend of Dragoon.

I have a US PSN account but I've never been able to purchase titles from it :confused:.

It's as easy as buying digital PSN codes from Amazon US or playasia. You get them mailed near instantly. Amazon would be the cheapest since playasia has a slight mark up.

Probably one of my favourite smooth mcgroove videos just got released

I think I've found my new ringtone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It's good, but it's no bowl of Special K Starlight Zone.

It's as easy as buying digital PSN codes from Amazon US or playasia. You get them mailed near instantly. Amazon would be the cheapest since playasia has a slight mark up.

$20 PSN cards on Amazon seem to be $26 and you've to pay an am and a leg for shipping and tax http://www.amazon.com/PSN-20-dollar-live-card/dp/B003H67ZAM/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1444817356&sr=1-2&keywords=psn :( is there an easier workaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ageyev wrote: »
    $20 PSN cards on Amazon seem to be $26 and you've to pay an am and a leg for shipping and tax http://www.amazon.com/PSN-20-dollar-live-card/dp/B003H67ZAM/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1444817356&sr=1-2&keywords=psn :( is there an easier workaround?

yes the digital cards that they email the code to you.

Or try gamecardsnow.com -
    I stopped buying on US PSN and moved to canada PSN, at least 25% cheaper
    ie. 20 us$ is 26 cn$ at the moment and prices are mostly the same.

• Advertisement

First buy a digital card, there's no shipping because it is emailed to you. Then set your address to Fake street or whatever in Portland Oregon and use a portland post code so you don't pay sales tax. Use US amazon as well not the european version.

sweetie wrote: »
    yes the digital cards that they email the code to you.

Or try gamecardsnow.com -
    I stopped buying on US PSN and moved to canada PSN, at least 25% cheaper
    ie. 20 us$ is 26 cn$ at the moment and prices are mostly the same.

This is getting complicated now, do I need a Canadian Amazon account to purchase Canadian PSN card or does American PSN Dollars work on the Canada PSN?

Canadian account for canadian dolalr cards, US account for US dollar cards.

It really isn't that complicated and worth it in the long run.

It's good, but it's no bowl of Special K Starlight Zone.

Ahh but Sonic 2 was my childhood game. Much nostalgia to be had.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

anyone fancy testing a game I've been working on?
    It comes complete with badly tuned in RF emulating /Retr0 annoying non RGB intro screen!
    title2-300x188.png

http://www.impliesgames.com/wp/tanks-vm/

4v4-300x187.png
    Basic idea is a multiplayer combat (as in the tank COMBAT game on teh atari2600) , but with a few twists , the first being a sort of Air Hockey/pinball/combat meld.
    Have most of the code done for a badlands style racer and a sort of warlords clone .(just have to get time to implement it).Anyway any bugs /tips /advice appreciated .
    (Its windows only for now , the volume and crt mode on /off settings are currently just placeholders.Keyboard/Xbox 360 controllers supported but most pads ..should work)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Dr Bob wrote: »
    badly tuned in RF emulating /Retr0 annoying non RGB intro screen!

You should trademark that!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks good so far I think! Tanks are maybe a bit too sensitive/fast, and there doesn't seem to be any way to exit other than alt-tab and closing it from there, but otherwise I liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

If you are getting PS1 games makes sure you get them from the US PAN otherwise you will end up with the compromised PAL releases (although the Resi games are the exception with Capcom releasing the U.S. versions of them).

There's corpse party on PSP which is excellent, just make sure to play with headphones because of the excellent 3D sound.

On PS1 you have Dino Crisis, Parasite Eve, Echo Nigt, Shadow Tower and Tecmo's Deception.

Those are the ones I'd recommend.

One PS2 there is Baroque, the three Fatal Frame/Project Zero games, Siren (PS3 game is great as well, Trapt.

If you want true horror there's also the God awful Legend of Dragoon.
    Kuon and Haunting Ground/Demento for PS2 if you can get them?
    What about the one you had, the Note or something where he was obsessed with the Pulitzer Prize?

What about the one you had, the Note or something where he was obsessed with the Pulitzer Prize?

You can't get the note digitally and it's super obscure. It's also PAL only in English.

The game you are thinking of is Aconcagua, more survival than horror since you are stranded in the Andes after a plane crash. Might be on the japanese PSN and it's mostly in English but it's a bit more like a point and click game than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I also would stay away from Clocktower 3, the hospital part is a joke, the difficulty was way too hard and got so silly, I gave up (it was like the 3rd/4th part).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement