Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Never been and certainly don't plan to with stupid pricing like that ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Was in games mania there in Cork yesterday what a shocking shop. None of the games had any prices so you have no idea what anything costs to you bring it up to the counter.

So seen a game that I liked when I was younger from the very 1st xbox. Syrio a Hero's Tail so looked at it the box had a few water marks on it so the cover Wasint the best, no book inside the box and the cd looked like it had seen better days.

Brought it up to the counter and asked how much it was. So he went and typed the game name into eBay in front of me and priced it off I think new games and turned around to me and said 25 euros lol. I nearly pissed myself at him. I told him the game box, no book and disk isn't looking the best so I would give him 10 euros for it a fair price. Nope told me to go buy it online lol as the copy he is selling is the cheapest one around.

Bought the game on amazon incudeing post for 9.50 lol.

But how can you run a shop with no prices on any of your games ?. As really you have no idea what anything costs and I do expect to pay a little bit more in shop then online but throwing out random prices for games is very funny.

I thought the rage was dear but the only thing he had priced was a few games consoles and they where dear very dear. 75 euros for a magadrive and 85 for a N64 is nuts.

Has anyone here ever been in that store?

Often went in for a look alright. It says a lot that I've been big into games for years and I've never actually bought a single thing in there. Have a look at his window and the sun faded box of 'Bad Fur Day', I asked him about it once and he said it was on hold for someone and that it was a very expensive game, I acted dumb and said oh right.....2 years later it's still there even more sun faded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Corholio wrote: »
    Often went in for a look alright. It says a lot that I've been big into games for years and I've never actually bought a single thing in there. Have a look at his window and the sun faded box of 'Bad Fur Day', I asked him about it once and he said it was on hold for someone and that it was a very expensive game, I acted dumb and said oh right.....2 years later it's still there even more sun faded.

I have been seeing that box in the window for years there as well. Ever game he has in the window is really badly sun faded some of the carts you can't even make out the name on them anymore.

I do wonder does he sell much in there at all ?.

I get this strong felling that he is running a games shop but has no love for video games.

The pokemon games are like 50 euros in there with out a box lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I don't know how they're still open either. They price the standard gameboy advance at 65euro non backlit, where as Cash Converters on McCurtain street priced them at €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

maybe the owners of that shop & RAGE are related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Probably a front for a massive drug and prostitution ring. Someone go in and ask for "the hot coffee version of GTA San Andreas" throw in a wink aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Regarding Games Mania, it looked like it was run by the same crowd who had the much more popular 2e/bargain shop next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Does anyone have any recommendations for Japanese ebay sellers or the likes?

I was checking out the Famicoms on Yamatoku-Classic's ebay page, but unless there's an army of filthy rich people in the world who only buy from them, they seem to be bidding up their auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

There's a lad on Facebook that sells through his page there, seems to be good prices and a nice guy to deal with.

I'm on mobile and only have Facebook at home so can't check right now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That would be Steve Bailey. He rarely puts Famicom stuff up but you can send him a request to find stuff for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ronnie Klok tends to have some decent stuff on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Thanks all! :-)

I'll check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Got about a minute and a half into that before I had to stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Really looking forward to Mushihimesama HD on Steam this week. Destructoid has a decent review up (as always ignore comments section :P).

I saw the below video linked elsewhere and how anyone could think to play a game like this is beyond my comprehension:

How do these people even get review copies of games anyway, the video is full of inaccuracies and nonsense too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"I can't put my finger on it but something's off"

*slow clap*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure if this reviewer is accustomed to games that aren't Skyrim.
    Seems if there isn't 60+ hrs of gameplay he can't enjoy it.
    Probably hates Outrun 2 as well, because it isn't Test Drive Unlimited.

And, why drag into this review his systems issues with non 360 pads and his install of Steam?
    Wtf has that got to do with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Damn it, was hoping it was Mushihimesama Futari that got ported because I already spent a load on the PS2 port of Mushihimesama last month!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Comments are disabled for this video

See he took the criticism well :pac:

See he took the criticism well :pac:

There's criticism and there's apparent death threats. He was a bit of a muppet and hadn't a clue what he was on about but if that is true it's a bit of an escalation :D

Also, good Half Life retrospective:

• Advertisement

Yeah baffled somebody would send a death threat over that (admittedly I'm pretty baffled when anybody sends a death threat regardless). Although based on the comments that did get through, and his repetitive attempts to suggest "they should just find a solution to put it at 16:9 resolution" (despite assurances that it was, tate aside, actually impossible) suggested he wasn't exactly taking constructive criticism on board. The YouTube insult brigade didn't help, I hasten to add :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also, good Half Life retrospective:

Cheers for that. Freeman was only 27 in HL1? Always thought he was closer to 40 or something. :pac:

First played it on PS2 rather than PC and could see what all the fuss was about, fantastic game. My memory is pretty hazy but didn't HL2 coincide with the launch of Steam? I seem to remember being pee'd off having to connect online to play and there being issues with Steam at the time. Being on dial-up didn't help either.

I'm not that pushed whether we'll ever see a HL3, they have some challenge to live up to the previous versions, but maybe it'll be designed with VR in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah baffled somebody would send a death threat over that (admittedly I'm pretty baffled when anybody sends a death threats regardless) :

Retr0's opinions on Final Fantasy XIII had me on the verge of sending a few :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Retr0's opinions on Final Fantasy XIII had me on the verge of sending a few :pac:

His opinion on Aliens Vs Predator nearly gave a fella a stroke!
    And his well founded judgement on Legends of the Dragoon has spiked BPs all over the planet at this stage!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Anyone else see this Metroid short film?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Some more pictures of that snes/ps1 console that surfaced a while ago. I wonder how things would be now if this collaboration made it to the market.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-nintendo-playstation-snes-cd-prototype-finally-revealed.html

http://www.hkgolden.com/mobile/article.aspx?id=20279&catid=33

Some more pictures of that snes/ps1 console that surfaced a while ago. I wonder how things would be now if this collaboration made it to the market.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-nintendo-playstation-snes-cd-prototype-finally-revealed.html

http://www.hkgolden.com/mobile/article.aspx?id=20279&catid=33

I'd say Sony wouldn't even be in the console race and the playstation would have been a Mega CD level flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The http://ps-io.com/ is in closed beta at the moment..

22_CART7.jpg

A video showing loading times for Gran Turismo was posted this week.

I can't wait for this product to become available, I have 3 PSX's, all with optical reading/mechanical issues. The idea of loading and playing/streaming from an SD card, using original PSX hardware, is a real treat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    Totally forgot to mention that one of my favourite games of all time will be getting sequel in HD for PS4, Xbox One and PC - The Last Ninja.

x8kSdAy.jpg

Edit: Matt Gray will be one of the musicians contributing to it.
    LAst Ninja II is probably oen of my favourite games...but...
    LN 4 has been in development hell since at LEAST 2004! I'm pretty sure I've seen Xbox(not 360) prototype screens similar to those!

Also in unrelated news is anyone heading into that Amiga Kick off world cup in town tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So Engadget got to try out the Nintendo-Playstation prototype that was discovered a few months back. Cartridges work on it but the disc drive seems to be disabled/broke.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/nintendo-playstation-is-real-and-it-works/

The chips are quite the novelty to see, with both companies branding on them.

nintendo-playstation-sfx-100-prototype-cxp1100Q-1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement