Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Just get a clean 21" Trinitron TV. Not as tweakable but picture quality is excellent on them and also have RF input if RetroGamer ever decides to call over :)

I'd ideally prefer a 14-inch model, and honestly, I like the look of broadcast monitors.

MrVestek wrote: »
    There's probably about 50 of them in Steve_SI's house.

You should persuade him to share on my behalf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Hmmm thought it might have been that Snatcher game but not sure if you already have that. Doesn't fit the bill with "not even a good game". So presumably it's cartridge based if you're concerned about it being legit - did the seller not confirm that for you seeing as you're obviously paying a fair whack for it?

"not even a good game" would apply to Snatcher, it's actually more of a visual novel than a game :) Some people love it, others really don't get the appeal. Personally, I bloody adore the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Myrddin wrote: »
    "not even a good game" would apply to Snatcher, it's actually more of a visual novel than a game :) Some people love it, others really don't get the appeal. Personally, I bloody adore the game!

Any sign of that postman yet?

2529349124_Peeping_Tom.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »

People that don't like Snatcher should be filed under moron right next to the Dark Souls haters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Any sign of that postman yet?

2529349124_Peeping_Tom.jpeg

Nah, t'will be next week I'd say.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People that don't like Snatcher should be filed under moron right next to the Dark Souls haters.

I think so too, but such ilk are out there :( (and I admittedly wasn't originally enamoured with Dark Souls so I can't gripe too much!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Anyone watch 'Nintendo Quest' (2015) yet?
    In this all-encompassing documentary on Nintendo, gaming enthusiast Jay Bartlett hits the open road with best friend Rob McCallum in hopes of buying the 678 official retail-licensed Nintendo games for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1985) in 30 days with no online purchases. Along the way Jay and Rob will discuss Nintendo history, landmark games, box art, music, graphics, game play and more.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Anyone watch 'Nintendo Quest' (2015) yet?

Yeah, I watched it. Piss poor to be honest, the entire thing comes off as set up and pre-arranged. He doesn't reveal his starting budget, nor does he reveal how much he paid for a single game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sounds like that thing Barter Kings I had the displeasure of watching once.

sounds like that thing Barter Kings I had the displeasure of watching once.

Never seen, but I'd much rather watch The Game Chasers, who have an on-par (and sometimes better) production value. I don't regret watching it, it's an interesting piece, but I'd be unlikely to recommend it to someone (unless you can get to watch it for free somehow, I wish I could get my 12 quid back).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Watched a trailer for that nintendo quest thing. Looks right crap tbh.

Seems like its a film made for the kind of people who wear t shirts with pac man on it from pennys in the hopes someone will say "pac man...nice" even though they never played it

(Any legit retro heads here apologies if ye wear pac man shirts from pennys )

Ill stick with the game chasers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Seems like its a film made for the kind of people who wear t shirts with pac man on it from pennys in the hopes someone will say "pac man...nice" even though they never played it

I've a galaga t-shirt, not from pennies though, does that count?

If I had excessive amounts of money I'd bank roll The Game Chasers to do something similar. It was a good idea behind the documentary, but it was just poorly executed with flat personalities. I'm still convinced it was all scripted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've a galaga t-shirt, not from pennies though, does that count?

I have a Super Asteroids tee I got from Pennies, and hope it acts as a silent salute to passers by enlightened enough to know what is.

I would love a Galaga tee though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Playing good games at a beers is a rarity akin to catching a Mew in the wild.

All the good games will be under a truck that you'll need to push.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, must be getting old now, Wipeout 3 (Wip3out) was released here 16 years ago in September, or so says wiki
    I remember how impressive it was, or at I found it so.
    Some people were disappointing, I think, that it wasn't more like Wipeout 2097, but I thought it was superb.
    I have the SE version as well, that fixes some bugs, adds 10 tracks to the existing 12, 8 from the previous 2 games in the series and 2 from the Japanese release of Wipeout 3, and introduces link up play with two consoles, tvs and copies of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't a big fan of Wip3out. I do remember a big Sony marketing push for it particularly one designed specifically for Dublin which was strange. I think by the time it was released the whole wipeout thing had passed. People had moved on to Gran Turismo and we had already seen f zero X on the N64 with its unfaltering 60 (smelly 50 for pal) fps gameplay which was just a whole lot more fun than wipeout which still relied too much on weapons than actual racing.

It wasn't bad though just ended up not interested in it and therefore it didn't get played much and I passed over the SE version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

There was a PlayStation press conference in Dublin in 99 and there were a couple of special demo or promo games given out for it with a shamrock on the disc. Someone posted a pic on a Facebook group but can't seem to find it now.

I much preferred Wipeout to F-Zero, the GC majesty came close to converting me, but I still love Wipeout 2097 before all others, and the PSP and Vita games are incredible, particularly the latter, with the tracks from the PS3 Wipeout HD/Fury being added to the portable package for free if you bought them via PSN for the home machine.
    Yes, it was more about weapons than FZero, but then I don't see that as a problem, they are simply very different games.
    Wipeout 3 SE is well worth picking up imho

There was a PlayStation press conference in Dublin in 99 and there were a couple of special demo or promo games given out for it with a shamrock on the disc. Someone posted a pic on a Facebook group but can't seem to find it now.

There were posters put up in all the big public transport areas with 'Wip3out the Northside' or Southside on them as well. Not often you get such region specific promotion of, well anything really.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I much preferred Wipeout to F-Zero, the GC majesty came close to converting me, but I still love Wipeout 2097 before all others, and the PSP and Vita games are incredible, particularly the latter, with the tracks from the PS3 Wipeout HD/Fury being added to the portable package for free if you bought them via PSN for the home machine.
    Yes, it was more about weapons than FZero, but then I don't see that as a problem, they are simply very different games.
    Wipeout 3 SE is well worth picking up imho

The problem is that Wipeout just isn't that good of a racing game. The F-zero titles are all about racing and it's your skill racing is what affects how well you do in a race. While there is AI catch up in the games usually it's not that obvious and if you race well you'll be way out in front. With Wipeout the game just doesn't hold up on the harder difficulties. The racing becomes rote and getting past racers mostly relies on the weapons you get and you can predict how the racing AI will react, It's like you get past one racer and the next one slows down so you can get past them. It's just when I got to Wip3out after playing the crap out of 2097 I could see right through this and was no longer impressed by it when there was a plethora of better racers out there. F-zero might have spoiled me, it looked like absolute ass but it plays like a dream compared to the 25 fps update of wip3out. I was never really impressed by a Wipeout game until the PSP versions and then HD which are legitimately excellent but still don't hold a candle to F-zero or even Sega's best racers.

• Advertisement

Anyone read this wretched article on the NES in the Indo?
    link
    Full of errors,
    Ed Power, the author, suggests that the 62 million consoles sold makes it the best selling console of all time, conveniently forgetting the PS's 100 million, the PS2's 155 million, the PS3's 87 million, the 360's 83 million, the Gameboy's 118 million, the GBA's 81 million and the Nintendo DS' 154 million.
    We also learn of the Famicon, whatever that was, and that the controllers were "wand like", as well as Nintendo apparently only allowing PG games on their consoles, forgetting Resi Remake, Resi 4, Killer 7 and Eternal Darkness to name four violent titles off the top of my head, that debuted or were exclusive to the Nintendo format.

......even Sega's best racers.

Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast, on Xbox, probably the best arcade racer of all time, imho.
    It's fantastic on the PSP, but on the Xbox, with the common architecture with the original Lindberg arcade hardware, itself host of Outrun 2, it is simply divine.
    It's gas, I still see Xboxes and this game on trestle table at Sunday markets, with a little haggling you could be going home with an Xbox and this game for less than €20, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

link
    Full of errors,
    Ed Power, the author, suggests that the 62 million consoles sold makes it the best selling console of all time, conveniently forgetting the PS's 100 million, the PS2's 155 million, the PS3's 87 million, the 360's 83 million, the Gameboy's 118 million, the GBA's 81 million and the Nintendo DS' 154 million.
    We also learn of the Famicon, whatever that was, and that the controllers were "wand like", as well as Nintendo apparently only allowing PG games on their consoles, forgetting Resi Remake, Resi 4, Killer 7 and Eternal Darkness to name four violent titles off the top of my head, that debuted or were exclusive to the Nintendo format.

Urgh that was a bad read. Is "unputdownable" a word?
    Some other spots that didnt make sense either.

EDIT: it is a word

eddhorse wrote: »
    Urgh that was a bad read. Is "unputdownable" a word?
    Some other spots that didnt make sense either.

EDIT: it is a word

Well, that's what passes for videogame journalism in print these days.
    We have turned a corner, we now get the same ill informed, subjective and apocryphal journalism that other media types have suffered under for decades!
    ¡Viva la Revolución!

A case of 'I havent a clue about this so I'll look up Wikipedia and wing it' journalism. It's totally written from an American perspective as well, I bet most of those indie developers weren't old enough to play one in Ireland and the UK the NES wasn't popular at all until it became a budget substitute for the 16 bit consoles. It's kindof annoying that that bit of revisionist ill informed history is going to be archived with that paper while better online articles will probably be lost once servers go down.

There'll probably be a lot more of this crap in the future as games journalists get younger and younger. You wouldn't expect a movie critic to have not seen classics like citizen Kane but most of the younger journalists would have no clue of older games or obscure games. Paradoxically hand it's hard to expect some one to invest all that time boning up on old games since its a significantly bigger time investment.

Well, of someone asked you to write a retrospective piece on a console you were unfamiliar with, you might start with a trip to the wiki page, but you might follow that with a go on the games themselves, at least via emu, and take in some of the material written about them over the years.
    A few references to relatively local Nintendo first/third parties like Rare would have been a start, but the notion that an indie dev would have any recognition of NES games, when most of them seem to be more enamoured with IOS games instead.
    But you're right Retr0, why waste valuable time doing any actual research when a look at the wiki page and a quick phonecall to a couple of indie devs will suffice.
    I was always under the misunderstanding that, while parts of the globe were under the thrall of the Famicom and NES, and smaller numbers had one of the Sega 8bit variants, we in this part of Europe had the ST and Amiga, which segued into the Megadrive era.
    The Snes kinda came along, on the tail end of the super successful Gameboy, the handheld that had to have a hand in bringing Nintendo IP into the greater public domain.

Perhaps it was unfair to suggest that, in fact, the NES had relatively little impact in Ireland at all, because we were all too busy playing Amiga and ST?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I see the upcoming Zelda Symphony Concert is being advertised on phone boxes in the city centre.

I'm not sure what's more jarring: seeing a large Zelda logo in Dublin, or realising there's still functioning phone boxes in the city centre.

I see the upcoming Zelda Symphony Concert is being advertised on phone boxes in the city centre.

I'm not sure what's more jarring: seeing a large Zelda logo in Dublin, or realising there's still functioning phone boxes in the city centre.

I'd be wary about bringing those posters home, unless your house is in need of the sweet aroma of stale urine.

Well, of someone asked you to write a retrospective piece on a console you were unfamiliar with, you might start with a trip to the wiki page, but you might follow that with a go on the games themselves, at least via emu, and take in some of the material written about them over the years.
    A few references to relatively local Nintendo first/third parties like Rare would have been a start, but the notion that an indie dev would have any recognition of NES games, when most of them seem to be more enamoured with IOS games instead.
    But you're right Retr0, why waste valuable time doing any actual research when a look at the wiki page and a quick phonecall to a couple of indie devs will suffice.
    I was always under the misunderstanding that, while parts of the globe were under the thrall of the Famicom and NES, and smaller numbers had one of the Sega 8bit variants, we in this part of Europe had the ST and Amiga, which segued into the Megadrive era.
    The Snes kinda came along, on the tail end of the super successful Gameboy, the handheld that had to have a hand in bringing Nintendo IP into the greater public domain.

Perhaps it was unfair to suggest that, in fact, the NES had relatively little impact in Ireland at all, because we were all too busy playing Amiga and ST?

It wasn't just the ST and Amiga, the 8 bit micros were huge sellers as well, well into the 90s. Sure I had my C64 until Christmas 1993 when I got a hand me down Arnotts display model. The NES priced itself out of the market in Europe with games costing about 50 to 60 Irish pounds and the base console was woefully overpriced as well. All games were shipped from Japan increasing cost. Sega/Virgin were selling the master system cheaper and games cost about 25-30 pounds on that system. On the home micros prices were cheaper again. Most or Europe especially the UK and Ireland were deep in a recession do the NES just didn't make sense. The big European areas for the NES was Germany which got a big push since Nintendo HQ was there and the Nordic countries where the distributors did an excellent job advertising the system.

It's also a bit annoying when the videogame crash is brought up so much particularly by a European publication. The crash was localised to the U.S. only with the videogames market in both Japan and Europe remaining vibrant and healthy. There were some small crashes in Europe, many 8 bit devs folded in the early 80s when piracy became rampant and the industry consolidated around big publishers. However the 16 bit market was just taking off then.

The SNES and Megadrive finally making a splash in Europe was due to the consoles offering cheaper and often better experiences than the 8 and 16 bit systems, well an initially cheaper investment when compared to the 16 bit systems. Arcade quality games and graphics were what people wanted and the japanese developed games on these systems gave people that. They also came along when piracy was getting out of control on the 16 bit systems,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

link
    Full of errors,
    There be much wrong there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement