Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It is, but "the 100 sh1ttest videogames" book isn't out until next month ;)
    Here's an early spoiler, Golden Axe and everything on the CDi is in the top ten of those as well!

You mean this stellar example of everything the CDi stands for isn't on the list?

38BA933B-6434-470F-B540-982F6DF9F4C3_zpsaibygao0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'll be happy as long as EDGE doesn't put one of its indie friends into the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ermmm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How dare those hipster journalists with their anti-ethics say something nice about a video game that isn't produced by a multi-national corporation :pac:

How dare those hipster journalists with their anti-ethics say something nice about a video game that isn't produced by a multi-national corporation :pac:

I don't care who makes the game, just don't put bad games on a high pedestal because your friend/associate made it. That is ethically unsound, and I don't see why you could possibly be FOR it.

list: http://nintendoeverything.com/edge-ranks-the-100-greatest-video-games/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What bad games?
    Nidhogg is in there, an indie game, and it was well received by everyone.
    You really need to be publisher and even developer agnostic to keep yourself open to be surprised and delighted with videogames.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What the hell is dead space doing in a top 100 list. Of all the classic survival horror games a decent but unsurprising Resi 4 rip off is on the list :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Bought the mag yesterday. I did find myself raising my eyebrow at some of the entries. I get what they were trying to with their mission statement in the introduction;

“In compiling the list, we worked to simple criteria: all formats – console, PC, portable, coin-op, touchscreen – were eligible; we could include only a single entry from any series that features straight-up sequels; and each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance.”

but I do think it odd that, just for example now, only 1x Final Fantasy or GTA is included as they're numbered games in a series yet Mario and Zelda can have multiple entries because there's no number attached to the series title. Same with ICO and Shawow of the Colossus. It just strikes me as a odd rule to make and to have just obvious exceptions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see Limbo is in there as well. Thought that was a beautiful looking game but the gameplay wasn't anything special. Some of the later puzzles were quite badly designed as well. If it wasn't for that gorgeous art it really wouldn't have stood out among the glut of excellent indie titles at the time.

Well, Braid is in there too.
    No Geometry Wars 2 though :(
    No Galaga
    No Robotron
    At least Super Hexagon got a spot, such a good game.

As for Mario titles, Nintendo fans have pointed out for years, the games may feature Mario and similar onscreen furniture, but New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are all very different from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And Papers, Please, Her Story, Elite: Dangerous, Super Meat Boy, Towerfall, Transistor, FTL, The Stanley Parable, Fez, Spelunky, Kerbal Space Programme, Drop7, Minecraft...

Better and more varied independent representations than I'd have expected, TBH. Obviously everyone will find something they'd disagree with or add if they had the chance, but it's just one publication's view. I'd see it more as a way of getting a magazine full of interesting retrospective articles and analyses rather than paying much heed to the actual rankings.

I'm not entirely sure that the count is valid. from 100 to 1, but most of them seem to be games that folk really should play, even Dead Space!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I see Limbo is in there as well. Thought that was a beautiful looking game but the gameplay wasn't anything special. Some of the later puzzles were quite badly designed as well. If it wasn't for that gorgeous art it really wouldn't have stood out among the glut of excellent indie titles at the time.
    Limbo really rubbed me the wrong way when I first played it as part of Summer of Arcade. I don't know what it is, but it almost seemed like it was all holier than thou, yet it just seemed all ordinary. Hell, I'm pretty certain that the art style itself isn't all that original, in my book. And that non ending...why did people go gaga over this game? It just felt so empty.

I feel the same as well. It's got such a pretentious air about it but underneath it all it's just very ordinary. It's just a very ordinary game hiding under the air of pretention that the art gives it and the ending is a absolute balls. It reminds me of some of the old euro amiga platform puzzlers... except not really as good.

It stands in stark contrast to the likes of Braid and Fez which have that same arty farty hipster vibe to them but it their case there is actual substance to their artistic ambitions and it really pays off (and even if you think they are pretentious, which isn't fair imo, at least there is effort, substance and ambition behind it all).

I couldn't even get past 15 mins in Limbo because of some weird jump-puzzly thingy, and I'm fairly experienced with 2D platformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

12049248_10153015830471968_2074680037387736706_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=a1ac04ddc50d11c0f233f3b8743407e5&oe=56976D04

Real life Mario Kart.

Atavan is holding out for real life Senran Kagura Burst!
    Me, I already have worked in a spooky oold hospital, so real life Silent Hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Have to love it when people make offers on adverts before they read the title of the ad. Have an ad up right now, "Asian Mega Drive" had an offer and accepted it. Got a PM asking then "Is this the Japanese or Asian Mega Drive"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've just made an offer there on my #1 grail game...christ almighty, I'll literally be eating beans until after xmas if it goes through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Myrddin wrote: »
    I've just made an offer there on my #1 grail game...christ almighty, I'll literally be eating beans until after xmas if it goes through...

really?
    it's not that expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monty-Python-the-Quest-for-the-Holy-Grail-PCDROM-Signature-Edition-/351538264316?hash=item51d95038fc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So what is it?

So what is it?

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

So what is it?

I've never seen one before, nobody has, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

So what is it?

I don't wanna jinx it yet :o

I'm putting money on PCE-CD Sapphire :D

I'm putting money on PCE-CD Sapphire :D

Having just sold a Duo-R and bought a stock PCe, nope, definitely not :) It's a game most people wouldn't consider spending any type of money on at all, but I adore this game...& simply have to own it. It's stupid money for what it is, but I've a few quid in my paypal account doing nothing which substantially lessens the blow. It's a veritable mine field of fakes/repro's too unfortunately, so I have to be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Could it be?

92120-Rise_Of_The_Robots_(CD-i)-2.jpg

You're making it sound more like Sapphire which had a high quality repro release that is near indistinguishable from the genuine game :)

I'm going to guess it's Legend of Dragoon since it's a game no sane person should be spending money on but goes for a high price :P

You're making it sound more like Sapphire which had a high quality repro release that is near indistinguishable from the genuine game :)

Up until recently, I'd never even heard of Sapphire...& only know about it as I've been researching fakes/repros a fair bit lately.
    I'm going to guess it's Legend of Dragoon since it's a game no sane person should be spending money on but goes for a high price :P

I think I'll stick with RotR :D

• Advertisement

Could it be?
    Given your avatar!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement