Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Kids have and always will be in to collecting figurines, wrestlers etc

But That skylanders and amiibo setup is clearly aimed at adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Luckily this house has steered clear of Amiibos but Lego Dimensions will be making an appearance this Christmas - another money pit. But at least the Lego games are decent to play and of course Lego > Amiibo everyday of the week.

Lego Dimensions has Doctor Who episodes in it, doesn't it?

Hrm....

HHHHRRRMMMM.....

...ok I think I need to buy this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Kids have and always will be in to collecting figurines, wrestlers etc

But That skylanders and amiibo setup is clearly aimed at adults.

Yep, just not wasting money on them when we don't have the games and they'd be smashed to bits in minutes. Fook that. Lego can be rebuilt. :D

Speaking of wrestlers, the youngest lad has been asking for a real wrestling ring from Santa! As in proper full sized WWE jobbie for out the back. Eh, no, sorry but it's too big to fit on his sleigh or something... That Seabreeze festival has a lot to answer for!
    MrVestek wrote: »

Hrm....

HHHHRRRMMMM.....

Yes I saw Doctor Who mentioned as one of the packs - so you get a figure or figures and new levels in the game etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

MrVestek wrote: »

Hrm....

HHHHRRRMMMM.....

La la la I can't hear you...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I think Lego Dimensions will be a bigger money pit due to Lego's infinite tie ins plus the different combinations that can be built.

I love Lego myself and the concept or building the portal and characters I'd really appealing.

Look at this for the launch collection.

IMAG0987_zpsxtrbye7u.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know, it's all very expensive.
    And just how much gameplay do you get for your money spent?
    Or are you expected to sandbox the sh1t out of it(to paraphrase The Martian) and make your own gameplay, which sounds like a pain in the h0le tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH I'd rather buy all the new Star Wars Lego coming soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I found the whole 'use your imagination' / anti-capitalist moralising of the Lego Movie rather hypocritical when you take into account how aggressively the Lego company actually sells endless streams of licensed products like that...

Anyway, anybody with an iPhone or iPad needs to download SPL-T. 'Tis a wee little puzzle masterpiece, and this year's Threes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I found the whole 'use your imagination' / anti-capitalist moralising of the Lego Movie rather hypocritical when you take into account how aggressively the Lego company actually sells endless streams of licensed products like that...

Anyway, anybody with an iPhone or iPad needs to download SPL-T. 'Tis a wee little puzzle masterpiece, and this year's Threes.

I'll have to wait for the android version :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Myrddin wrote: »
    La la la I can't hear you...........

You probably shouldn't watch this then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^^ fecker :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Yeah , I've got a few of the skylanders games (and about 20 figures)for my kids ,luckily we've been avoided getting sucked into the infinity stuff..and the Amiboos? ..lol .No.Not for me.
    But that lego Dimensions stuff is the first I've been interested in. BOTF AND Dr Who ..AND Portal ..Doctor Who and Doc Brown together in the Aperture testing labs??
    Sold.
    Or at least I would be if it wasnt 115 quid of PS3 or Xbox360 (or 140 for the other consoles)
    Its actually cheaper to import it in from the UK
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Dimensions-Starter-Pack-PS3/dp/B00VJWS3M0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fecking love this song :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Yeah , I've got a few of the skylanders games (and about 20 figures)for my kids ,luckily we've been avoided getting sucked into the infinity stuff..and the Amiboos? ..lol .No.Not for me.
    But that lego Dimensions stuff is the first I've been interested in. BOTF AND Dr Who ..AND Portal ..Doctor Who and Doc Brown together in the Aperture testing labs??
    Sold.
    Or at least I would be if it wasnt 115 quid of PS3 or Xbox360 (or 140 for the other consoles)
    Its actually cheaper to import it in from the UK
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Dimensions-Starter-Pack-PS3/dp/B00VJWS3M0

Yeah was looking on the Smyths website, €130 for the PS4 version vs just under €110 on Amazon. The packs all seem to be roughly the same price though:

Fun Pack - €20 - 2 pieces of lego to use in game.
    Level Pack - €40 - 3 pieces of lego to use in game + new level.
    Team Pack - €40 - 4 pieces of lego to use in game.

Expensive.

I know this has arose in conjunction with the price of Amiibo figures, but this glorified DLC is mad money.
    I wonder, had the tech been affordable some 10 years ago, would the Lego series of movie and comic tie ins have been as stuffed with content, or would they have just locked away sections requiring the appropriate figurine, I fear that's precisely what they would have done.
    Or, to put it another way, we might have seen a standalone Lego Dr Who title, with Doctors, companions and enemies from throughout the franchises history, and fighting in the various storylines on offer. Sadly not to be, instead we've a high price of entry, €130 as Andrew says, and another €40 on top for a far more limited games experience. The trailer looks interesting but €40 is near enough the price of a full game on it's own.

Not retro I know, but the handheld scene has just gotten somewhat lonelier,
    It seems Sony are bowing out of the handheld scene, after efforts with the PSP and PS Vita suffered in terms of sales with Nintendo and their DS/3DS lines, despite the Sony consoles being technologically superior.
    link
    So, this seems to be a return to the early 00's, when Nintendo pretty much had the handheld market to itself, though now, of course, it has to contend with smart phones and tablets.
    I like to imagine that Nintendo have what it takes to stay competitive with the likes of the various app stores, where the gameplay on offer is so different.
    The funeral will, presumably, provide a chance to kick the PS TV into the same grave as the Vita, save them digging another hole, while Apple figure how much they can charge people to buy a GoW knockoff on the Apple TV 4th gen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fecking love this song :)

The Megadrive version sounds way better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Just put this together for my cousin's kids. They wanted a gold Xbox one controller and couldn't be convinced that there wasn't one, ha. If there wasn't one before, I guess there is now...

Bye Bye Ibara, Kuon and Rule of Rose, moving to their new homes tomorrow, by post, thanks to ebay :(
    Bugger, I feel bad letting them go but I haven't played them in years

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I feel bad letting them go...

Rebuying in 5,4,3...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are we now allowed to have nostalgia for crappy FMV games now? Most are rubbish but I have a soft spot in my heart for the anime ones especially Road Avenger and even more especially Time Gal. I just love the death animations in Time Gal.

CPucqtIWcAAYfLK.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Are we now allowed to have nostalgia for crappy FMV games now? Most are rubbish but I have a soft spot in my heart for the anime ones especially Road Avenger and even more especially Time Gal. I just love the death animations in Time Gal.

As long as the nostalgia includes sufficient derision and shame you should be ok.
    It's a slippery slope to Gamelon..

I think I just miss 80's anime hair.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Rebuying in 5,4,3...:pac:

Not this time, this is going into the Cidonalad Ipad Air fund

Anyone else pick up the Edge special, "the 100 greatest videogames"
    It's not bad value, just under €20 in Easons, and it is all original work, rather than simple reprints of reviews.
    You get a page of a retrospective on the game and the opposing page has art or a screen shoot.
    I'm not sure if the 100 are in order, while they do count down from 100 to 1.
    Interestingly there are no Nintendo entries in the top 5 but there are two PS4 exclusives, The Last of Us and Bloodborne, and the top spot is taken by Dark Souls.
    Nintendo doesn't feature until the back 5 of the top 10, with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and OoT, with the once exclusive to GC Resi 4 also featuring in the 10 best games of all time.
    Certainly there is plenty of analysing to do, and there are plenty of entries from the entire history of gaming which is no bad thing, as the Snes and N64 seemed to have it all sewn up until relatively recently.
    There doesn't seem to be room for Sonic at all though, and no Megadrive exclusives at all, even though Elite: Dangerous, Sims 3 and Puzzle & Dragons do get in, so no Sonic, no Gunstar Heroes, no Treasure games at all :eek: The Snes on the other hand is incredibly well represented, as it should be, but there definitely seems to be an oversight with the MD's exclusion.

I won't be buying it for fear of spontaneously combusting in rage when I see how high up Halo is.

I'd be interested in seeing what is on the list but I still feel Last of Us is frighteningly over rated (still a great game).

No Super Metroid up in the top 5 or even 10 is absolute criminal imo. It's just game design perfection for me.

As for Bloodborne, it's a bit early to be calling it like that, fantastic game and all but in ways for me it's way behind Dark Souls in a lot of areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

but there definitely seems to be an oversight with the MD's exclusion.

yeah, Streets of Rage 2 should definitely be in the top 10 ;)

This'll make your day,
    R-Type Final is in there but not R-Type Delta!

yeah, Streets of Rage 2 should definitely be in the top 10 ;)

It is, but "the 100 sh1ttest videogames" book isn't out until next month ;)
    Here's an early spoiler, Golden Axe and everything on the CDi is in the top ten of those as well!

• Advertisement

This'll make your day,
    R-Type Final is in there but not R-Type Delta!

Well that's an absolute crock of ****e. R-type Final just isn't a good game at all. It has the worst opening stage of any shooter ever and the game drops frame rate constantly with stage 3 running at sub 5 frames per second for the entire stage. Whoever decided to put that one in there is utterly clueless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement