Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another black teenager shot by police in St Louis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wow ... talk about throwing petrol onto a fire ... scarey stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

RayCon wrote: »
    Wow ... talk about throwing petrol onto a fire ... scarey stuff.

More coming in saying the victim pointed a gun at an officer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

So with no context, Sky News are sensationalising the story. What a shock.

edit - now they've expanded on it, but the original article had no context.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Believe it or not, sometime the cops justifiably shoot people, even black teens In St Louis. Shall we wait for a little more information to come in before we pass any judgement on this one? Or have people failed to learn from Ferguson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Are all cops in St Louis overweight or are all St Louisian's overweight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The officers are saying that the man pulled a gun and pointed it at them. Fair enough so, you do that, you're gonna get shot. Hopefully Sky et. al. will be a as loud about pointing this out as they have been when saying "black teenager shot by police!"
    Detectives claim they have recovered a handgun from the scene.
    In a statement on the shooting, St Louis County Police Department said: 'At approximately 11:15pm on December 23, 2014, a police officer with the City of Berkeley was conducting a routine business check at the Mobile Gas Station located at 6800 N. Hanley when he observed two male subjects on the side of the building.
    'The Berkeley Police Officer exited his vehicle and approached the subjects when one of the men pulled a handgun and pointed it at the officer.
    'Fearing for his life, the Berkeley Officer fired several shots, striking the subject, fatally wounding him. The second subject fled the scene.
    'The Berkeley Police Department requested the St. Louis County Police Department's Crimes Against Persons Unit to handle the investigation. St. Louis County Police Detectives have recovered the deceased subject's handgun at the scene.
    'At this time, we cannot confirm the identity of the deceased subject. The investigation is on-going and further details will be provided as the investigation proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe pulling a gun on a cop was a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

kneemos wrote: »
    Are all cops in St Louis overweight or are all St Louisian's overweight?

all americans are over weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Maybe pulling a gun on a cop was a mistake

Nah, it was definitely because he was black.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Maybe it was because he was very, very, very, very dark blue?

Maybe the thread title could be changed to something more appropriate like "Man shot after pulling gun on police officer". The current title is no better than FOX/Sky news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Maybe it was because he was very, very, very, very dark blue?

They are known as Fear Gorm in Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Bacchus wrote: »
    Maybe the thread title could be changed to something more appropriate like "Man shot after pulling gun on police officer". The current title is no better than FOX/Sky news.
    "police force with history of shooting unarmed kids and planting evidence claim" needs to be added to your headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Aim a gun at a cop in America and the cop is going to shoot you, black or white.
    WTF did the guy expect?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Believe it or not, sometime the cops justifiably shoot people, even black teens In St Louis. Shall we wait for a little more information to come in before we pass any judgement on this one? Or have people failed to learn from Ferguson?

Maybe if they were "sometimes" indicted or even investigated for their savagery you might have a point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Can you back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Egginacup wrote: »
    Maybe if they were "sometimes" indicted or even investigated for their savagery you might have a point.

They're always investigated.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    "police force with history of shooting unarmed kids and planting evidence claim" needs to be added to your headline.

"Man shot after allegedly pulling gun on police officer"

Can we add a poll to decide the new thread title? :pac:

EDIT: Oh, you changed your post when I clicked to quote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,292 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Scumbags were protesting at dead cops funerals yesterday.

'Merica

• Advertisement

Aim a gun at a cop in America and the cop is going to shoot you, black or white.
    WTF did the guy expect?

Never mess with a police officer with a loaded weapon. You have no idea what sort of day they are after having and one wrong move you could end up in a black bag.

Never mess with a police officer with a loaded weapon. You have no idea what sort of day they are after having and one wrong move you could end up in a black bag.

Or a white bag... racist!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I'm glad I don't live in the States.At least here the Guards will just say to you you were going fairly handy there.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Or a white bag... racist!
    Did somebody tell you that you were funny once?
    Was it a cop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I saw this and thought *here we go*, then thought *that attitude might be a bit racist* then thought of my black friend at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Here's a letter written by a serving NYPD officer yesterday to one of the media outlets in NY.
    I can't post the full page as I haven't got enough posts yet, or something.

Reading it, you'd wonder why these lads bother.

"When I was a kid I’d see my dad come home with his gun and shield, and I was beyond intrigued. He was not only my hero, but the city’s. I couldn’t wait to grow up and be a cop. Just like my dad and my older brother. I didn’t know what the pay or the benefits were, I just wanted to help people. Fast forward 20+ years and here I am. Except I’m no ones hero, actually I’m the enemy.

It wasn’t until I graduated the academy and went out on the street I realized, wow, where the **** am I? Dead bodies, homicides, drugs, guns. At first it was fun. A cat and mouse game. I get the bad guy off the street and it saves the city. As the years progressed and the neighborhoods I worked in got worse, slowly that bad guy I hunted transitioned. He was no longer a guy with a gun in his baggy pants, he was me. I was hated. By every single person I encountered. No matter what I did.

There were days I’d get my ass kicked. Days I’d get murderers and rapists off the street. It didn’t matter. I was a white Irish cop, the devil. It didn’t matter I tried in vain to give CPR to a dying baby, I was still the enemy a minute later. But at the end of the day the bad guys still feared us and that’s all that mattered.

Fast forward to the liberal anti-cop movement. City councils, CCRB, Al Sharp ton. Nobody gave a **** that every night I saw a different black man take a bullet, they just cared that it was not mine. Now I get in trouble for cursing. What? If your wrestling with a mope with a gun are you gonna curse? Are you gonna fight back? Of course cause I’m human. Suddenly though, I can’t even be human. Those rights that are demanded by these protesters, well they’re everyone’s but mine.

I swore I’d never become that cop. That old, angry, numb socially uncouth cop. Well now I make that cop look like mother Theresa. Theres only so much a person can take before they shut down. No one calls 911 for good things. It’s a daily roller coaster of bad to horrific and it never gets better.

You take this job and you know there’s a chance you can die, obviously. But you think of it as, “OK , I’m in this gun battle with a bank robber and I die in glory.” You don’t sign up for “I’m gonna be sitting in my patrol car eating lunch and get executed from behind.” Give me a chance. A chance to fight back you ****in coward. They never had a chance. And it eats me up inside.

I’m sick over it. I didn’t know them but I know them. They’re me. I’m them. I play it over and over again in my head and it makes me sick. Yeah that heartless animal murdered them, but he didn’t act alone. The city of New York run by its disgrace of a Mayor, di Blasio murdered them too. Here’s a man who stands in front of his city and tells them he’s afraid his son will get killed by a cop, all the while he has cops guarding his son 24/7. He enticed a race war. He allows a city to protest for a criminal and chant they want dead cops. Well they got what they wanted didn’t they? Right before Christmas, 2 funerals. A husband, a father, a son.

Every single day at work I encounter real bad guys. And guess what? They know they’ve won. They know we are hesitant. That fear is gone. Now that fear is in us. I have two little kids at home. I’m gonna leave them parentless for what? A city that hates me? Condemns me? Leave my spouse a single parent for a city that spits on me? It’s not worth it anymore.

I don’t know what’s going to happen but I do know this. You can curse us, spit on us, even fight us, but the day you kill us is the day you awake a sleeping giant. We were executed. We won’t be executed again. We are in hell right now, but if you think we are gonna sit back and get murdered you’re wrong. Their blood is on di Blasios hands. He has single handily divided the city. Not just black and white but black and blue. He stands next to Sharp ton, a man who has professed his anti-white anti-Semitic rants for decades. It’s egregious. Despicable. It’s almost like I’m in a different world. When the **** did I become the bad guy? When the **** did they let bad guys run the city?

So I never got to become that hero like my dad. But I got to share the same uniform as 2 of them-Ramos and Liu. Remember their names. They were murdered by the city of New York. The great city that I swore to protect, that never protected us back. Their execution will live heavy in my heart forever. I’ve officially lost my faith in mankind. But I haven’t yet lost my faith in God. And as I get dressed every day and put my vest on, I say a prayer to God, “Lead us to a place, guide us with your grace, to a place where we’ll be safe.” I don’t need to be a hero anymore, I just want to go home."

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Did somebody tell you that you were funny once?

Never. Still waiting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The problem here is not racial related but it's the American people as a whole who defend the law of being allowed to have a handgun.
    It's becoming so normal now these types of shootings that sadly I am no longer interested in them which makes these stories even more of a tragedy.
    I don't know what it will take for them to finally realise that this "right" needs to be scrapped or seriously curtailed.
    I somehow feel however that they will never learn.
    RIP to the kid but ffs pointing a gun at a cop in the same city which caused uproar months before must have wanted the Darwin award or something.
    The true victims here are the families.

I'm glad I don't live in the States.At least here the Guards will just say to you you were going fairly handy there.

When they tell you do something you do it. Not every police officer in the US is a Clancy Wiggum type backed up with Lou and Eddie.

• Advertisement

Quite revealing that NYPD cops are now demanding to be feared. Not respected mind you. Feared.
    And they wonder then why they aren't respected either.
    If they want to blame all of New York for shooting two cops I guess all cops should equally be blamed for every unarmed kid shot dead, gun planted and wad of drug money stolen.

Advertisement