Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

just calved one there massive angus bull, got stuck on the hips

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

whelan2 wrote: »
    AI, if so which code?

Nettleman wrote: »
    AI, if so which code?
    own bull our breeding, sold him to a suckler man before christmas , pb aa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

he will be worth a few extra euro compared to normal :D

yup :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Timmaay wrote: »
    Used mostly HE on the late calvers, the bull I used alot of has had his calving score rocket to 4 Ughhhhh. Next year I think it will be KYA all the way.
    we have had some big trouble with Herford's in the last few weeks so much so that only dairy breeds going to be used on all cows this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

we had 94% calved in 6 weeks from planed start of calving, cant take any of the credit tho only started on the farm in sep,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Must con gratulate somecof ye on figures they are top class.i have 70 % at 6 weeks and been quiet this week but heres the thing im can of glad of the break gies me a chance to slacken the pressure on the calf houses and grass isnt that plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Just in now. Checked cows about 11 heifer with the tail up so put her into the pen. Been watching her for a few days now. No sign of legs so handled her, calf down deep, upside down and 1 leg back. Managed to get the leg forward and the calf turned but no joy getting him it out. Had to call vet.

Vet was working her for a good while before we managed to get the calf out, it had been dead about 12 hrs. At least the heifer was ok. It fairly bad having a calf die but having call a vet to get out a dead calf sucks too, at least we didn't have to section her.

Ah well a few hrs sleep then back up at 6:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Had to jack out a big HE from a heifer this morning. She was in calf to the one serve to a fr. Will be a few words with the AI man ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Had to jack out a big HE from a heifer this morning. She was in calf to the one serve to a fr. Will be a few words with the AI man ha.

How did he manage thar?
    I thought beef straws were in one flask and dairy in another

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

How did he manage thar?
    shouldnt happen,its not rocket science ffs

How did he manage thar?
    a farmer around here was having problems of the wrong breed of calf coming from ai , turns out the son was telling the ai man a different bull than what his father was

a farmer around here was having problems of the wrong breed of calf coming from ai , turns out the son was telling the ai man a different bull than what his father was

Oh Lord
    remember 5 yrs ago or so we lost a cow who was having this massive ch bull calf was supposed to be a fr.
    how Ai man managed to use wrong straw I don't know

Oh Lord
    remember 5 yrs ago or so we lost a cow who was having this massive ch bull calf was supposed to be a fr.

Like to see him explain that

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CowMeister

Oh Lord

I was after calming down until I started reading this. Have spent the last 2 months calving elephants from cows. I dont know what breed he is but he certainly isn't fr.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha happens here regularly also, my dad really doesn't like giving fr to heifers. Actually I wounder did the opposite happen here ha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

CowMeister wrote: »
    I was after calming down until I started reading this. Have spent the last 2 months calving elephants from cows. I dont know what breed he is but he certainly isn't fr.

Would have one wondering if the right fr bull is always used even when BW calf born.

I couldn't recommend DIY ai highly enough. Milk, serve oad and get on with your day. No cows hanging around the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Ha happens here regularly also, my dad really doesn't like giving fr to heifers. Actually I wounder did the opposite happen here ha?

Best one I heard was when a farmers son went and put jersey on a heap of cows the mother who was the boss thought they where incalf to freisian, nine months later she lost the plot when all these jersey bulls started arriving don't think the ai man ever got paid after

• Advertisement

Would have one wondering if the right fr bull is always used even when BW calf born.

I couldn't recommend DIY ai highly enough. Milk, serve oad and get on with your day. No cows hanging around the yard

Our AI man is very good I must say now. Give him a text if you have nothing bulling and always in yard at 9am
    arm in and cow served no messing

do you take the anti sucking device out of cows nose before she calves? its not the spiky one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

do you take the anti sucking device out of cows nose before she calves? its not the spiky one

Had the flap one on one here and I left it on. She licked the calf no bother.

We leave them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

grazeaway wrote: »
    Just in now. Checked cows about 11 heifer with the tail up so put her into the pen. Been watching her for a few days now. No sign of legs so handled her, calf down deep, upside down and 1 leg back. Managed to get the leg forward and the calf turned but no joy getting him it out. Had to call vet.

Vet was working her for a good while before we managed to get the calf out, it had been dead about 12 hrs. At least the heifer was ok. It fairly bad having a calf die but having call a vet to get out a dead calf sucks too, at least we didn't have to section her.

Ah well a few hrs sleep then back up at 6:30

Generally when you can't get at the calf like that, the calf is usually dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Generally when you can't get at the calf like that, the calf is usually dead.

Had to push a brute back in yesterday like that. He was dead before I started but savage torture pushing back in against the cow and trying to turn the legs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CowMeister

It's after being added to my to do list. Who does the DIY ai training?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

CowMeister wrote: »
    It's after being added to my to do list. Who does the DIY ai training?

Dovea and Progressive Genetics/Munster Ai definitely run courses and some other companies also do them I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Had vet at 3am for caesarean. A deformed lump that had no chance of a natural birth. I would stick up a photo but I think it wouldn't be right.

• Advertisement

Dawggone wrote: »
    Had vet at 3am for caesarean. A deformed lump that had no chance of a natural birth. I would stick up a photo but I think it wouldn't be right.
    was it full term or early?

Advertisement