Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Racing

Options
  • 22-12-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

Time to get a thread going for all the Christmas racing

Lexus, King George, Christmas Hurdles, Big handicaps (Welsh National, Paddy Power), and More!

Welsh National

Probably my second favourite race after the Grand National is the Welsh National and having all but picked Mountainous out in November last year I wasn convinced enough to take the 20s antepost. I was right, as he went off at that price but alas, without my money on him. This year I'm interested in Emperors Choice. Venetia Williams has three in the race but Emperors Choice is young enough to have the potential to porgress and the conditions will likely suit his profile. Only concern is that he hasn't proven himself at Chepstow. Hawkes Point looks the other one in the race, he and Mountainous have surely been targeted again at Chepstow and with a nose between them last year Hawkes Point is a pound or two better off this time.

Can't wait for the festive racing to start!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Backed Hawkes Point last year, and will be backing him again

Conti for KG

Jezki for Ryanair hurdle

115/1 treble. On! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Dynaste, Dynaste, Dynaste

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

Did cue card. I have a feeling he'll be better this year on better ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Themonkey

handsfree2 wrote: »
    Did cue card. I have a feeling he'll be better this year on better ground.
    Not being funny how do u know what the ground will be 5days to go and there expecting rain christmas eve :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Themonkey wrote: »
    Not being funny how do u know what the ground will be 5days to go and there expecting rain christmas eve :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Weather forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

I'm all on cue card at kempton..champagne fever for gold cup but reckon cue card will go one better this time

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Themonkey

Weather forecast
    bit silly in my opinion 90% chance of rain on the day and the price wont fluctuate between now and race day if anything will drift on morning of raceday your logic seems silly with 5 days to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

FAUGHEEN and VAUTOUR are surely worth a decent wedge at even money for the double

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Downroyal foxhunters looks like an absolute cracker even without Salsify and Tammys Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Dynaste, Dynaste, Dynaste

Thinking about backing him as well. Sensible to wait until the day at this stage? Came in again today to 8/1 but I would have thought that somebody is bound to drift on the day the way the prices on the top 6 are and Dynaste seems a likely one. No guaranteed prices now so just wondering from that point of view.

• Advertisement

Thinking about backing him as well. Sensible to wait until the day at this stage? Came in again today to 8/1 but I would have thought that somebody is bound to drift on the day the way the prices on the top 6 are and Dynaste seems a likely one. No guaranteed prices now so just wondering from that point of view.

I'm going to wait until the day anyway, hopefully a bit of 10/1 will materialise. I think he'll run a cracker

I'm going to wait until the day anyway, hopefully a bit of 10/1 will materialise. I think he'll run a cracker

I reckon that rather than being a non stayer in last year's race, that he picked up the injury that kept him out for the rest of the season. It would explain the poor finish.

Love Cue Card! Backed him last year

Just think that Conti is a much better horse this year whereas Cue Card has a few questions to answer still. The track suits Conti more than Cue Conti, CC has better form going left handed tracks

In terms of betting, Conti's price is all but done so can understand why people are looking elsewhere for value. If I was going to take Conti on, I'd side with Dynaste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Jeez i though id be the only one on Cue Card for the King George. On half decent ground he wins this head in chest..

I dont agree with the general concencus that he didn't stay last year. He stopped for a few strides before the 2nd last, loosing all momentum and was staying on fairly well in the end.. I have a silly amount of confidence in him this year..

I think CC can stay, I even had him down to win the GC last year on good ground and back at Cheltenham. Chance missed considering the doss that placed back in March

If he had better form coming into this, then I'd be more confident, then again his current price reflects this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Looking at doing a trixie now Conti, Uxixandre and Foxrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Looking at doing a trixie now Conti, Uxixandre and Foxrock.

Are people still as confident on Foxrock as per the other thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Any one looking beyond foxrock for the Paddy Power? It's hard to ignore Foxrock as the most likely winner but I'm always looking to loose my money in a cruel and unusual way.

Vasco Du Mee is young and in good form, whats with his price? Has he reached his level?

The Westerner Boy looks an interesting entry.

Things will be much clearer when we get a better idea of the ground, a good few horses that want decent ground in there, maybe they'll be pulled and some way down will get in

Are people still as confident on Foxrock as per the other thread?

snap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Nulty wrote: »
    snap

What's the other thread I have one in mind. I'm not going to back until I see NRNB though. Price is huge.

• Advertisement

ste2010 wrote: »
    What's the other thread I have one in mind. I'm not going to back until I see NRNB though. Price is huge.

I dunno mate, I was just interested in hearing other peoples opinion on the race. I'd say its the National Hunt 14/15 thread. Search it for Foxrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I reckon that rather than being a non stayer in last year's race, that he picked up the injury that kept him out for the rest of the season. It would explain the poor finish.

Can't see any staying doubts tbh. Destroyed a poor field in the Feltham a couple of years ago, won a Ryanair over 2 and a half and I thought he ran very well in the Betfair on his comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Can't see any staying doubts tbh. Destroyed a poor field in the Feltham a couple of years ago, won a Ryanair over 2 and a half and I thought he ran very well in the Betfair on his comeback

I think he accidentally quoted your post, seems he's talking about Cue Card?

I think he accidentally quoted your post, seems he's talking about Cue Card?

That would explain the out for the season comment alright haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Do you fancy him Oscars?
    I'd love it if he won and think he'll be bang there but only if he can get a nice early rhythm going.

Do you fancy him Oscars?
    I'd love it if he won and think he'll be bang there but only if he can get a nice early rhythm going.

Yeah, he'll be my biggest bet of Christmas
    My only niggling doubt is how he ran in the race last year, went out like a light

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

Call Rog in the PP chase if he gets in, his run was just as eye catching lto against Foxrock IMO...at 40/1 im willing to take a chance he gets into the race

Think Rule The World is a big price in the 3m novice chase and il back him too

King George

I think Silviniaco Conti will win the KG again. Nichols hasn't been as vocal about him this year as last year which is a concern though. Nichols does like to boast when he thinks he's got the winner.

I backed Al Ferof last year and felt him getting beaten in the Denman was vindication. Still can't be convinced he stays but he could still have been getting his fitness back last year.

Champagne Fever has great potential but the vibes coming out of Walsh and Mullins don't fill me with confidence.

Cue Card was flying last year and for whatever reason stopped. I can't see any reason for it so I can't say it won't happen again. Plus he's not firing on all cylinders this season yet. He's an eachway play maybe.

Whatever Dynaste can do over three miles, SC can do better - no chance.

Menorah is a tricky one. Didn't like his day out at all last year but has form at the track, against the favourite and over the distance. He'd certainly be my eachway play.

I'm sticking with Silvianico Conti here though, 5/2 is a fair price considering the questions over the rest of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

I'm a big CC fan, was on him last year was gutted when he started going backwards with the race at his mercy!! I'll back him again this year but have concerns that he isn't in as good a shape as last year! His jumping at gay dock wasn't great given that it's bormally his biggest strengths!
    Any thoughts on Johns Spirit?? Another horse I really like May be worth an e/w shout

Advertisement