Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Racing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

seoirsem wrote: »
    Christ lads if there was a worse call of the last 2 furlongs of a big race then Tony O'Hehir's commentary on the Paddy Power then I've not heard it. Definintely time for RTE to look for a new YOUNGER commentator. Tony got completely flustered towards the end and it took from a great finish imo.

O' Hehir's was awful but Des Scahill called the wrong horse home in the same race!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Dubron wrote: »
    O' Hehir's was awful but Des Scahill called the wrong horse home in the same race!

the two of them need to put out to grass, it will never happen though, that racing production is set in stone, watching it feels so dated and boring

the wheels of the Mullins bandwagon have fallen off today so far, surely the bumper will turn things around for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

sdoc13 wrote: »
    Ya have had a nibble

He hardly went a yard, that said was getting giddy when they turned in, winner was awesome though with that pace on that ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Not bitter. Just delighted that Ted's plan didn't work out.

His plan was to win the race. What exactly is wrong with that ? . Every punter should of known before Punchestown that the paddy power was the plan and if you didn't then give up gambling

TheTorment wrote: »
    Ive a 50c yankee running with Special Tiara 15/2, Ballinvarrig 9/2 a NR and last leg Chatez @7/4

There is €50 odd as it stands.

I can cash out for €102

or let it ride for €195

what would you do?

I let it ride :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

His plan was to win the race. What exactly is wrong with that ? . Every punter should of known before Punchestown that the paddy power was the plan and if you didn't then give up gambling

Agree 100%. Besides i don't know why everyone is giving Ted all the grief when Connell was as much behind the plot as him.

TheTorment wrote: »
    I let it ride :)

Feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

So, the punters and even the casual racegoers "should know" when a horse mightn't be running to the best of its ability, should they? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The plot didn't exactly fail, 2nd place prize money was 36k.

matthew8 wrote: »
    The plot didn't exactly fail, 2nd place prize money was 36k.

My eyes are sore.....

How would anyone outside of connections know the target was the Paddy Power? A lot of people suspected it was today but it might not have been.

It did fail, they wanted to win the race and all the win bets are down the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Shemale wrote: »
    My eyes are sore.....

How would anyone outside of connections know the target was the Paddy Power? A lot of people suspected it was today but it might not have been.

It did fail, they wanted to win the race and all the win bets are down the toilet.

Bets are peanuts compared to €100K. Punters are always so focused on the betting. It's not as important as winning the race and the prize money in a race like that. Punters are blinkered

Nulty wrote: »
    Bets are peanuts compared to €100K. Punters are always so focused on the betting. It's not as important as winning the race and the prize money in a race like that. Punters are blinkered

They got 28k for second and lost all their winning bets, not sure how blinkered that is. You can be sure there was a fair few bob in dockets lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

They got 28k for second and lost all their winning bets, not sure how blinkered that is. You can be sure there was a fair few bob in dockets lost.

Almost certainly but they'd rather no bets and winning prize money rather than the other way around

Nulty wrote: »
    Almost certainly but they'd rather no bets and winning prize money rather than the other way around

Sure they would but by not winning they are definitely down prize money and most likely have losing slips too.

Had a couple of quid on it this morning as it looked like a lay job the last while but not too disheartened knowing the Walsh's will be miserable eating their mince pies thinking what could have been, the mongrels :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Well his target certainly wasn't a early season handicap, over an inadequate trip, that would blemish his handicap mark. It was obvious from his first run of the season what they were planning i.e. big handicap plot. And if that didn't spell it out for you then maybe when PP introduced him as fav for the race 5 days BEFORE his penultimate run, the light would have come on.
    My eyes are sore.....

Sour Grapes get in your eyes? :D

Treadwell got 2 days for the false start, they should give the starter a ban too, they were let go while yer wan was still singing.

So, the punters and even the casual racegoers "should know" when a horse mightn't be running to the best of its ability, should they? :rolleyes:

If you think they were prioritising a 10 k handicap race over the paddy power well fair enough. A simple look at future entries would tell anyone what the aim was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hamis Al Bin in the 4:40 is worth a punt at 8/1. This one has had a few 2nd's and 3rd's to its name at this kind of mark. Beaten into 3rd by half a length last time out, there's no questions about the fitness of this one. Salvado the big danger here after running very well last time out.

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Well his target certainly wasn't a early season handicap, over an inadequate trip, that would blemish his handicap mark. It was obvious from his first run of the season what they were planning i.e. big handicap plot. And if that didn't spell it out for you then maybe when PP introduced him as fav for the race 5 days BEFORE his penultimate run, the light would have come on.

There are plenty of handicap races in the calendar and in hindsight if they choked him in another race he might have been dropped enough to win the race. I assume a person as enlightened as you would have noticed that he unseated in Leopardstown two years ago and got beaten last year but you disregarded this and used the bookies to decide who to back.

So you back horses on the basis of a bookies opinion, well that is fairly stupid, how did the favs fare at Leopardstown today?
    zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Sour Grapes get in your eyes? :D

No, just sore reading some stupid posts, as I said earlier I had a few quid on the horse, nothing major.

If you think they were prioritising a 10 k handicap race over the paddy power well fair enough. A simple look at future entries would tell anyone what the aim was.

How far ahead are the future entries and are trainers not allowed supplement horses any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

oPATCHo wrote: »
    Coral

BENVOLIO - 13/1
    WOODFORD COUNTY - 18/1

:( Backed Hawkes Point last year, and been done again by a narrow second

oh well

Hamis Al Bin in the 4:40 is worth a punt at 8/1. This one has had a few 2nd's and 3rd's to its name at this kind of mark. Beaten into 3rd by half a length last time out, there's no questions about the fitness of this one. Salvado the big danger here after running very well last time out.

Already on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lovely ride from Pat Cosgrave there :cool:

Posted by Francie Barrett View Post
    oPATCHo wrote: »
    Already on

Nice one Francie!!! :eek::D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Well done Francie and O! FWIW I backed Foxrock but would have little sympathy for Ted.

Great shout Francie

The horse was fav for the paddy power before his run in punchestown.... so you think if it won a mickey mouse race in punchestown and was put up 10lb they would supplement the horse then. Cant see the logic myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

I have backed Carlingford Logh Tomorrow @ 10s. Think this is the value of the race. LW and RTR wont like the ground. Bobs priced right BB under priced.

This horse could be decent. Won well in Puncestown and is a real stayer conditions should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

The horse was fav for the paddy power before his run in punchestown.... so you think if it won a mickey mouse race in punchestown and was put up 10lb they would supplement the horse then. Cant see the logic myself.

So you'd be happy with any/all horses being held back when connections choose, as long as it's for the greater good? Great logic that but kind of defeats the concept of sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

sdoc13 wrote: »
    I have backed Carlingford Logh Tomorrow @ 10s. Think this is the value of the race. LW and RTR wont like the ground. Bobs priced right BB under priced.

This horse could be decent. Won well in Puncestown and is a real stayer conditions should be no problem.

Same here, big price and Ill be backing each way, just hope the fav aint on song
    I think texas jack is a massive price at 33/1, can see it being placed

Advertisement