Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien Irelands Sinister Fringe.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

You obviously appreciate the "help" he gives to FG :pac::pac:

What help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Wurly wrote: »
    A well made point from a contact on Facebook:

"While the protesters were standing outside the Dail on the 10th, the bould Denis was profiteering from it and the majority of people didn't even know it. Every barrier that was erected around the street made Denis's an absolute fortune. Denis bought the barriers for little or nothing through his offshore tax haven company (Millington), based in the Isle of Man, using some of the savings that he made by buying Siteserv (the company that supplied said barriers) at a massive discount of €105 million of taxpayers money, from his pals in (Alan Dukes & Co) in Anglo Irish/IBRC.

*I am aware that lots of people will know that Siteserv supplied the barriers but this information is for those people "who didn't know" and there are millions of them, so spread the news...

CORRUPT OR CORRUPT IS THE QUESTION?

No wonder Enda and Kelly were laughing their heads off and telling the protesters that they don't care because they are sticking with the bondholders plan to install meters, no matter how much we protest. But I wonder if there is another reason that they are laughing their heads off for? Unless you were a total narcissist, unhinged or just plain old corrupt then you wouldn't even consider selling out your people to the corporate and banking sector...So which one are they? Personally, I would say that they like a bit of corporate corruption in the form of big brown envelopes!

This also leads me to how much more Denis is profiting off of the ordinary people... Every water meter that is installed makes Denis, a clear profit of about €300 give or take a few euro, therefore if you work that out by the number of households that are "going to receive a meter" is in the region of 2,004,000 according to the CSO. Bearing in mind a huge number of these are un-meterable apartments and rural homes that have their own water supply through water schemes and wells, so we'll take say 500,000 units out of that equation but that still leaves circa 1.5 million homes that are to be metered. I know some have already but that isn't the point of the exercise right now...

I only want to do the maths to show how much profit Denis is going to make out of the metering contract if he gets away with it... Ready?

€450 MILLION EURO IN CLEAR PROFIT, AS DENIS PAYS ABSOLUTELY NO TAXES ON PROFITS IN IRELAND!!

HOGAN DIDN'T LOSE OUT EITHER!
    How much of this reached Phil Hogan's pockets in advance of Denis "being awarded the water metering contract? As has been proven, Denis has a propensity to bribe Fine Gael Ministers... He did it once and no doubt he did it again!

I don't think I can add anymore to this as it speaks for itself..."

Very balanced ... for a moderator!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lex Luther himself. The line between shrewd businessman and complete gangster is an exceptional thin one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If you'd have said that, i'd have agreed with you.;)

Why do you say it's the yanks over 'the illuminati'?
    How do you mean when the chimes take over?

Do you believe then that luck is out of your own hands to some extent?

If our fate is in our own hands, then how come certain things are made so difficult for us? Buying a home for instance. Or holding bank gamblers accountable for our crimes. Like, why do we have to pay back their debt but they get off scot free? That would suggest that we're not in control of how the world is being run.

Chinese - bloody autocorrect.

Luck is obviously out of your own hands, otherwise it wouldn't be luck! I do believe chance favours the prepared mind. I don't believe in Micawberism.

Yes, life is hard and it's not fair but where is it written that it's supposed to be?
    And buying a home is easy.........as long as you stay within your means and borrow sensibly.

The Yanks run the show because of their position in the world's financial and technical infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

20Cent wrote: »
    Got a link to the actual offer made then?
    I was replying to someone who said O'Brien made the lowest bid. Since we don't know the details of the bids one can't make that claim.

AFAIK it has to be a few years before bids for public contracts can be released. Not 100% sure.

What I can tell you is that corporations are out to make money and Siemens would have profited tenfold over the next half a century by milking Ireland ailing water infrastructure.

It amazes me that you can apparently see through Denis O Brian like greasy paper, but when it comes to an obvious "buy in and milk em dry" bid from Siemens, you put on the selective sight glasses! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

20Cent wrote: »
    Got a link to the actual offer made then?
    I was replying to someone who said O'Brien made the lowest bid. Since we don't know the details of the bids one can't make that claim.

Here's the thing though. What sort of link will you trust? One from say the Irish Independent or one from a website that tries to expose media spin?

This is a huge issue. I'm not saying it's yours btw....

But people tend to trust major news sources. Anyone who says anything counter to what is reported in the newspapers is cited as a wacky conspiracy theorist.

So let's say the news DOES tell the truth for a second... First, it would be a good idea to maybe check out who our newspapers are owned by to see if they could potentially benefit from skewing the truth. Wouldn't that be a good idea? Same goes for Ireland's TV stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Beaner1 wrote: »
    What help?

Did he not attend 15 Fine Gael fundraising events?

O’Brien donations

Mr Kenny told the Dáil last night that Esat boss Denis O’Brien had made donations to 15 separate Fine Gael events between the years 1994 and 1996.

The tribunal found Mr O’Brien had made a concerted effort to elevate his profile with Fine Gael, at this time, when the party was in government.

Mr Kenny said that, in total, the Esat boss had contributed to 10 Fine Gael constituency events and five national events during the period in question.

The payments are listed in the Moriarty Report. Fourteen involved three or four-figure sums, ranging from £200 for a fundraising lunch in Westmeath, to £5,000 for a Wicklow by-election fundraising lunch.

But the 15th payment was the controversial $50,000 donation which the tribunal found Esat had made in a “clandestine fashion” to the party after winning the licence.

Wow 3 and 4 figure sums some twenty years ago. Amazing that he can exert such influence of loose change given two decades back.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Chinese - bloody autocorrect.
    Ha, I was wondering.;)
    Luck is obviously out of your own hands, otherwise it wouldn't be luck! I do believe chance favours the prepared mind. I don't believe in Micawberism.
    I had to look up the meaning of Micawberism there. What a great word. I'm going to try and use it as much as I can today. :D

I agree that chance favours the prepared mind. What methods do you use to prepare your mind?
    Yes, life is hard and it's not fair but where is it written that it's supposed to be?
    Nowhere. That's the beauty of this. :) Well.... except for newspapers.... ;)
    And buying a home is easy.........as long as you stay within your means and borrow sensibly.
    I'm so glad it is for you. And for many others. It should be easy for us all. It isn't. We have become so desensitised to issues like homelessness and we treat it as an inevitability. But why should it be inevitable? I really don't think we ask ourselves enough questions about why things are the way they are. We just accept things as they are. But we never question. Why do you think this is? I find it really puzzling. Like for instance, I questioned nothing up until a few years ago. I find it strange that it never would have even occured to me to question things before now.
    The Yanks run the show because of their position in the world's financial and technical infrastructure.
    Do you think the yanks have more money than the Rockefellers and The Rothschilds combined?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

is it me or has the level of hostility towards this individual become borderline hysterical ?

the media in this country ( broadly speaking ) is very much left wing so i dont think his influence is anywhere near as profound as some appear to believe

• Advertisement

Wow 3 and 4 figure sums some twenty years ago.

Which they grabbed with both hands :D

is it me or has the level of hostility towards this individual become borderline hysterical ?

the media in this country ( broadly speaking ) is very much left wing so i dont think his influence is anywhere near as profound as some appear to believe

In total contrast to some of your other posts on other threads.

Very balanced ... for a moderator!:rolleyes:

You may have missed the fact that i'm quoting someone else. Those are not my words. I thought it was interesting. So I posted it so that we could discuss it.

I don't moderate After Hours. So I have no more power than you do. And rightly so.;)

Which they grabbed with both hands :D

I believe one man who was doing the grabbing and he was dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

It would make sense that the people who have the most money have the most power. Call them Iluminati or Lizard people just to make others look like retards, or whatever.
    But if you were honest with yourself you would have to allow that rationally those richest 300 people who own more wealth than the poorest 4.7 billion must have a considerable say in what gets enacted as public policy all round the globe. To think they don't is naive.
    Whether they are Jewish bankers, Trilateral whatevers, blah de blah, most of that pigeon-holing is to make a mockery of people who think outside the box (and unfortunately because many who do gulp down any manner of ****e they lay themselves open to ridicule). The people behind the governments and global corporations who affect our daily lives do not have to have a cosy moniker.

If you think your destiny is in your own hands ask for a bail out of your negative equity mortgage a la bondholders and see whose interests come first.

I believe one man who was doing the grabbing and he was dealt with.

No. He attended fundraisers in different constituencies.

Ha, I was wondering.;)

I had to look up the meaning of Micawberism there. What a great word. I'm going to try and use it as much as I can today. :D

I agree that chance favours the prepared mind. What methods do you use to prepare your mind?

Nowhere. That's the beauty of this. :) Well.... except for newspapers.... ;)

I'm so glad it is for you. And for many others. It should be easy for us all. It isn't. We have become so desensitised to issues like homelessness and we treat it as an inevitability. But why should it be inevitable? I really don't think we ask ourselves enough questions about why things are the way they are. We just accept things as they are. But we never question. Why do you think this is? I find it really puzzling. Like for instance, I questioned nothing up until a few years ago. I find it strange that it never would have even occured to me to question things before now.

Do you think the yanks have more money than the Rockefellers and The Rothschilds combined?

Speak for yourself about homelessness - not all of us have become desensitised to it. Some of us we're even trying to do something about it on Wedesday evening while thousands of our fellow citizens were otherwise engaged.

The yanks will always have more money than anybody - they can print it! As they say, the dollar is the Americans' currency, but the world's problem.

If you can't afford something, don't buy it - in the case of a house, if you can't afford one, rent.

I would always encourage a healthy scepticism towards most things in life, but especially news and media........even those owned by O'Brien.

Newstalk in particular has been an utter scandal this week. Shane Coleman was utterly distraught the protests went off 100% peacefully he was nearly in tears Thursday over it.

shane coleman is a 100% card carrying member of FF and is married to the sister of a former minister for justice , he has no truck with the current goverment

It would make sense that the people who have the most money have the most power. Call them Iluminati or Lizard people just to make others look like retards, or whatever.
    But if you were honest with yourself you would have to allow that rationally those richest 300 people who own more wealth than the poorest 4.7 billion must have a considerable say in what gets enacted as public policy all round the globe. To think they don't is naive.
    Whether they are Jewish bankers, Trilateral whatevers, blah de blah, most of that pigeon-holing is to make a mockery of people who think outside the box (and unfortunately because many who do gulp down any manner of ****e they lay themselves open to ridicule). The people behind the governments and global corporations who affect our daily lives do not have to have a cosy moniker.

If you think your destiny is in your own hands ask for a bail out of your negative equity mortgage a la bondholders and see whose interests come first.

Brilliant post.:)

Of course wealth confers great power (and great responsibility) - but where is the evidence that the wealthy are acting in a concerted organised fashion in the governing of the world????

Nobody made anyone take out a mortgage, much less a mortgage at the limits of affordability - therefore if some is suffering under negative equity and / or an unaffordable mortgage then that's as a result of choices they made.

• Advertisement

Speak for yourself about homelessness - not all of us have become desensitised to it.
    You're right. Sorry, I didn't mean to come across like I was tarring everyone. I'll rephrase that. Some people in society are desensitised to homelessness and see it as an inevitability. My point is, i'd like to see people question things more.
    Some of us we're even trying to do something about it on Wedesday evening while thousands of our fellow citizens were otherwise engaged.
    Well fair play to you for actively doing something about the issue. I regularly help as well. On Wednesday, I was at the protest because I don't agree with the set up in Irish Water and I think something should be done about it. So I attended with an intention to make my voice heard as it is a matter that is very important to me.
    The yanks will always have more money than anybody - they can print it! As they say, the dollar is the Americans' currency, but the world's problem.
    Can you be more specific when you say 'the yanks'? Which yanks. Cos there are a lot of poor Americans. So who do you mean exactly?
    If you can't afford something, don't buy it - in the case of a house, if you can't afford one, rent.
    And if you can't afford rent?
    I would always encourage a healthy scepticism towards most things in life, but especially news and media........even those owned by O'Brien.
    Glad to hear it.;)

Of course wealth confers great power (and great responsibility) - but where is the evidence that the wealthy are acting in a concerted organised fashion in the governing of the world????
    I could give you plenty of evidence. But which source would you be willing to trust and why? Which source would you believe and which would you dismiss?

You're right. Sorry, I didn't mean to come across like I was tarring everyone. I'll rephrase that. Some people in society are desensitised to homelessness and see it as an inevitability. My point is, i'd like to see people question things more.

Well fair play to you for actively doing something about the issue. I regularly help as well. On Wednesday, I was at the protest because I don't agree with the set up in Irish Water and I think something should be done about it. So I attended with an intention to make my voice heard as it is a matter that is very important to me.

Can you be more specific when you say 'the yanks'? Which yanks. Cos there are a lot of poor Americans. So who do you mean exactly?

And if you can't afford rent?

Glad to hear it.;)

The American Government through the Fed, who else did you think would be able to print currency?

If you can't rent where you want, move to where you can - if you can't do that, then social housing - yes I know social housing is a walking disaster in this country so maybe when people are done protesting have to pay for water they can take to the streets to help their fellow citizens get a better deal on housing......I somehow doubt the same numbers will show :rolleyes:

That's before we get on to the HSE.......

In total contrast to some of your other posts on other threads.

did i refer to o brien on other threads ?

I could give you plenty of evidence. But which source would you be willing to trust and why? Which source would you believe and which would you dismiss?

If I knew the sources I wouldn't have to ask would I?

How about the minutes of their last meeting?

did i refer to o brien on other threads ?

You seem to be remarkably selective on where you point the finger.
    To me corruption is corruption wherever it raises it's head inc Fine Gael.

The American Government through the Fed, who else did you think would be able to print currency?

Here's the thing though. The fed is privately owned. So it's not owned by the government. It's owned by the banks.
    If you can't rent where you want, move to where you can - if you can't do that, then social housing - yes I know social housing is a walking disaster in this country so maybe when people are done protesting have to pay for water they can take to the streets to help their fellow citizens get a better deal on housing......I somehow doubt the same numbers will show :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't they show? The government are doing an appalling job at much more than water. I'll happily stand in solidarity with any of my fellow citizens on issues that concern them. I know most of my friends feel the same. The mass movement that is going on at the moment is trying to tackle the unfair distribution of power and wealth. So it's not all about water. But it's a start.
    That's before we get on to the HSE.......
    Jaysis, I know. Utter disaster.
    If I knew the sources I wouldn't have to ask would I?

How about the minutes of their last meeting?

Do you honestly believe that the world's biggest bank is going to make the minutes of their last meeting available for public viewing? Think about it.

And if it's not available for us to see - why? What have they got to hide? If it's not transparent, why isn't it? Shouldn't we have transparency?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I don't begrudge him his wealth. He is only mentioned by the left and protesters because he is one of the only wealthy Irish people left and they don't like people with money no matter who they are.
    wrong. its to do with the fact he has been proven guilty of corruption

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Your "contact" just outrageously libelled Phil Hogan and Denis O'Brien.
    stop lying dennis. you were found out

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

You seem to be remarkably selective on where you point the finger.
    To me corruption is corruption wherever it raises it's head inc Fine Gael.

im lost , if your refering to my comments on AGS corruption , what has that to do with o brien ?

Advertisement