Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien Irelands Sinister Fringe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah clear off will ya. Jesus whatever about a genuine protest about another tax, the Denis O Brien angle is laughable. Denis O Brien is the root of all evil is he? What a bunch of simps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

The sinister fringe are the wasters that live on facebook thinking they are unearthing some huge conspiracy linking O'Brien to RTE, government, barriers, irish water etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I see a James Bond scenario developing.

"He welcomes you into his lair, like the nobleman welcomes his guest..."

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Pocoyo wrote: »

**** your business smarts.

What does that have to do with DOB? Do you just have a big notepad file full of links to segway discussions when they're not going your way?

As far as I can tell BOI tried to reduce the value of their debt by flooding the market (an open market). They bought more and kept the value up. What do you want to do? Have a China style debt market or set up 1997 Malaysian-style capital controls, effectively cutting Ireland (an exporter) off from International markets?

Your little video is bull****. Typical fat cat American sure - not a shred of relevence to this discussion. And it's subtitled in a misleading way with a cheesy song. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Beaner1 wrote: »
    The sinister fringe are the wasters that live on facebook thinking they are unearthing some huge conspiracy linking O'Brien to RTE, government, barriers, irish water etc.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that he's linked to all of them? Not really what you'd call a conspiracy mate.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 34 Max Carr

His sinister fridge? His sinister fudge? Huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Ah clear off will ya. Jesus whatever about a genuine protest about another tax, the Denis O Brien angle is laughable. Denis O Brien is the root of all evil is he? What a bunch of simps.

The man is routed into the government he won the contract to install the security barriers at the protest. :p

Genuinely true. LOL The parasite even made more tax payers money out of the dec 10th protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

I for one welcome our new denis o brien overlord

I think it's pretty common knowledge that he's linked to all of them? Not really what you'd call a conspiracy mate.

Just a sample that was shared by some jobless waster I know today.
    Penis O'Brien is now in the process of buying Esso Ireland. This Government & its cronies need to be stopped fast before this country is completely ruined.
    Disgusting!!!!
    Denis is one of the elite in the euro zone.
    They pull the strings, make deals that benefit the banks, bond holders and elite of Europe.
    He needs to be stopped!
    The strings that. Makes endd Kenny do as he is told

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The man is routed into the government he won the contract to install the security barriers at the protest. :p

Genuinely true. LOL The parasite even made more tax payers money out of the dec 10th protest.

Who'd he win it from?? How many other companies applied??

And i don't think you know what a parasite is.

• Advertisement

He's a billionaire. Show me a billionaire that doesn't have his fingers in many pies.

He's become a scapegoat which is funny because it actually helps FG. Denis can take all the flak he wants - at the end of the day he doesn't answer to the electorate. So I'm sure he's willing to see a couple of Topaz stations boycotted for a day or two if it'll keep the heat off FG/Lab.

Strategically, the anti-gov/conspiracy juts/anti-IW crowd are shooting themselves in the foot by wasting energy on DOB.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    He's a billionaire. Show me a billionaire that doesn't have his fingers in many pies.

He's become a scapegoat which is funny because it actually helps FG. Denis can take all the flak he wants - at the end of the day he doesn't answer to the electorate. So I'm sure he's willing to see a couple of Topaz stations boycotted for a day or two if it'll keep the heat off FG/Lab.

Strategically, the anti-gov/conspiracy juts/anti-IW crowd are shooting themselves in the foot by wasting energy on DOB.

Exactly. The guy made a business decision to make money.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/obrien-to-buy-siteserv-for-45m-187436.html

He doesn't have some devious political goal to enslave the Irish people. He doesn't give too ****s about controlling protests through the use of eventserv barriers. I doubt he even knows about that level of business operation.

The nutjobs actually believe that he has direct access to to Kenny and is plotting the ruination of the state together or at least forcing his hand to. This is paroanoid delusion. I know three guys that are spouting this stuff non stop on facebook and none have worked in close to ten years but are smoking 24/7 and into the usual fluoride twin towers crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Just a sample that was shared by some jobless waster I know today.

That post tells me more about you than anything else tbh. If they are "jobless wasters" you seem to spend enough time checking their social media account, sounds like something a waster would do. Do you talk like that to their face as well when you see them and not just anonymously on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Denis O Brien knows very well that water is the new oil.

That's grand, I'll start putting Ballygowan in my car then.......
    But laugh away :)

Ok.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

emo72 wrote: »
    Is he some sort of megalomaniac? Wakes up every morning "I need more power and money". Maybe if FG enact slavery for him then we could just get it over with " Yes sah, mastah Denis sah!"

You know what? You are probably very accurate with that post.

Exactly. The guy made a business decision to make money.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/obrien-to-buy-siteserv-for-45m-187436.html

He doesn't have some devious political goal to enslave the Irish people. He doesn't give too ****s about controlling protests through the use of eventserv barriers. I doubt he even knows about that level of business operation.

The nutjobs actually believe that he has direct access to to Kenny and is plotting the ruination of the state together or at least forcing his hand to. This is paroanoid delusion. I know three guys that are spouting this stuff non stop on facebook and none have worked in close to ten years but are smoking 24/7 and into the usual fluoride twin towers crap.

Ask them what IBRC was set up for and they won't know. As per usual they'll resort to the usual tabloid arguments or conspiracies.

If DOB is corrupt or if any government officials engage in corruption then I think they should be punished. But as far as I can see he's making some very good strategic moves and is investing in Ireland.

He buys weak companies that are going to grow due to changes in their markets. But the trotskyites among us would almost prefer to see him make charitable donations to these companies out of the goodness of his heart instead. :confused:

As the old saying goes, if all the money in the world was distributed equally, it'd be back in the hands of the few because most haven't a clue how to use it.

That post tells me more about you than anything else tbh. If they are "jobless wasters" you seem to spend enough time checking their social media account, sounds like something a waster would do. Do you talk like that to their face as well when you see them and not just anonymously on the internet?

No, I'm a normal person with tact that doesn't alienate every person for the sake of it. They have some nice qualities but yes, they are wasters and I begrudge tax payers money being used to fund their delusions to clog up my feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

O'Brian was born rich and has a knack for getting government contacts. Not exactly an amzing businessman doing new and original things. It's been handed to him on a plate. Then he fecked off to Malta or whatever so he doesn't even have to pay tax. Throw a few quid at football or charity and the cap doffers are worshipping him. Easy to be successful when your handed contracts and given debt writeoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

It's sad to see an important topic being discarded as conspiracy loons cannon fodder.

How the man was allowed to buy Today FM was very dubious. He shouldn't be allowed to have so much ownership of the country's media. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All ''hilarious' responses. Joking on the way to the gallows.
    In 1983 90% of the US media was controlled by 50 corporations. In 2014, it was 6. If anyone thinks that concentrating the power of the media into limited hands will not in some way interfere down the road with their democracy, their culture, their society, then away with them like lambs...

So whats your answer? Force people to keep their businesses (the newspapers) running and not sell them off for profit? State run newspapers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

A bilionaire known as 'Uncle Denis' to Enda Kenny and Fine Gael. He doesnt even pay tax in ireland hes a tax exile hiding his money money in malta.

Awarded over priced contracts by the government at the tax payer expense even though cheaper contracts were available. (O'Briens GMC SIERRA won meter contract even though siemens were 50 Million euro cheaper)

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/siemens-cheaper-water-meter-offer-snubbed-by-minister-hogan-26845507.html

Proven bribery of FG TD to win mobile phone contract (Moriarty Tribunal)

''In 1995, Denis O'Brien was head of one of six corporations looking for the lucrative second Irish mobile phone operator's licence. When he was chosen to receive the license, there was major controversy as he was suspected of bribing Fine Gael government TD and Minister for Communications Michael Lowry. The license procurement, which ultimately made O'Brien one of the richest men in Ireland, was proven to be corrupt in an investigation by the Moriarty Tribunal, where it was proven that;[32]

O'Brien gave substantial sums of money to Fine Gael in order to make friends with people in the party.
    Denis O’Brien, or persons close to him, subsequently sought to give large amounts of money to Michael Lowry.
    Michael Lowry, in return, sought to be involved to a greater degree in the licensing process, seeking information about it on a number of occasions and influencing the decision and selection process in Esat's favour.''

Received 300m euro debt write off by the state after bank crash.

http://news-beacon-ireland.info/?p=18825

Owns over 40 Irish news papers including many radio stations.

Independent,Herald,Sunday world,Newstalk106,98fm the list goes on.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejournal.ie%2Firish-media-ownership-public-interest-denis-o-brien-1821594-Dec2014%2F&ei=OyCMVM2TIcyf7gaF6YCwDg&usg=AFQjCNFSiV5zVL-nYO2OVnT_0bbckHAEJg&sig2=3Nc0Wd1ayb-wBrDtsRraYg&bvm=bv.81828268,d.ZGU

The government and journalist groups have found that this man has too much media power and is using it to forward his corrupt ambitions.

This man has been a parasite sucking the blood out of this country while using his media outlets to attack the public of late,Grannies,kids and working people have been called dissidents and sinister by this power crazed man,Its time to boycott his businesses until he goes away. Dont forget Topaz. ;)

Newstalk in particular has been an utter scandal this week. Shane Coleman was utterly distraught the protests went off 100% peacefully he was nearly in tears Thursday over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

So whats your answer? Force people to keep their businesses (the newspapers) running and not sell them off for profit? State run newspapers?

That's completely illogical. If you follow your own logic through then there would be monopolies and oligarchy's galore. Do you think Ryanair should be allowed to purchase Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

The poor unfortunates on the dole get lambasted on Boards for being a drain on the tax payer yet a tax exile who has a history of involvement in corruption and bribery is held in the highest of esteem and defended to the max.

Of course when you realise that it's not DOB they're defending but the status quo you begin to understand where their thinking is based and why they defend the government etc even to their own detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,474 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't begrudge him his wealth. He is only mentioned by the left and protesters because he is one of the only wealthy Irish people left and they don't like people with money no matter who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Newstalk in particular has been an utter scandal this week. Shane Coleman was utterly distraught the protests went off 100% peacefully he was nearly in tears Thursday over it.

Except for the arrests, and the whole blocking o'connell bridge thing.

What colour is the sky in your world?

If people have such strong objections to D O'B then......

.......don't buy from his petrol stations

.......don't buy or read anything produced by his media organisations

......don't listen to his radio stations

And if you have really strong objections well arrange a boycott of anyone who advertises with or on his media.........if enough of your fellow citizens agree with you he'll get a bloody nose and be forced to sell up.

As for his government contracts, he's obviously putting in the lowest tenders so people just need to find some way to undercut him.

Jawgap wrote: »

As for his government contracts, he's obviously putting in the lowest tenders so people just need to find some way to undercut him.

Really?
    Post up the tenders then.
    Sieman's offered to install meters for free.
    Sierra got the contract after the closing date and before Sierra was even incorporated! Explain that one!

20Cent wrote: »
    Really?
    Post up the tenders then.
    Sieman's offered to install meters for free.
    Sierra got the contract after the closing date and before Sierra was even incorporated! Explain that one!

Send in an FoI request

Jawgap wrote: »
    Send in an FoI request

You're the one saying he made the lowest bids. Clearly not true.
    Shouldn't need an FOI the tenders process should be open and transparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

D'OB can buy most things he wishes except honesty, integrity and his good name; no matter how much he spends on media, its whore's, Sarah Carey et. al.

Advertisement