Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

slave1 wrote: »
    Lovely up there, shorts!

11312256_898960710163886_998119934_n.jpg

Dunlop collection lolol

Give over Lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Satnav is suggesting I turn off before Newry and head in via Mayobridge and Hilltown but google maps gives a turn-off after Newry and into Newcastle via the A25... Anyone know which would be the better route and perhaps less traffic? (Coming from Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    Satnav is suggesting I turn off before Newry and head in via Mayobridge and Hilltown but google maps gives a turn-off after Newry and into Newcastle via the A25... Anyone know which would be the better route and perhaps less traffic? (Coming from Dublin)

AFTER....... apparently it's a bit of a mare of a coastal driver if you turn off before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

HighLine wrote: »

Turn right in to a fairly steep ascending hill (Rathfriland Rd) near the courthouse (can't miss it - big circular building with high walls). Via Hilltown is the fastest route 42mins. Could also go full scenic along the coast, slightly better roads in parts, but 80mins+ perhaps. It's all fairly scenic anywhere around the Mourne area anyway for a spot of golf.

driving_ncouthouse.png

driving_nc.png

driving_nc2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

This route through Newry and Hilltown an option or just crazy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 The Tzar

Best route to Newcastle will depend on where you wish to park, check out Open site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The Tzar wrote: »
    Best route to Newcastle will depend on where you wish to park, check out Open site.

I have prepaid parking so need to get to Bryansford GAC

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Tzar

stockdam wrote: »
    I tend to try to get there early and then follow a group. Generally the crowds will be small and you'll see a lot. Later the crowds will build and they will generally follow the big names.

Later in the day I try to sit at a par three where I can see the tee shots, the putts and then the tee shots for the following hole.

The 16th is a nice hole to watch as the long hitters can drive it.

Any suggestions on which hole to pitch camp if we plan on staying in one spot??
    Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CGBdx-tW8AAnhc7.jpg:large

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 falladeen1602

Anyone know where Carpark 5 is ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I should have bought a ticket, want to go now!!:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'd expect itto be well signposted. Safe traveling folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great picture Slave.

Class hole. Bitch of a green to hold (for us). Fall offs of green are horrible and when pin right and you have gone too far right on drive , you are playing with the dune on right in way , or forced to fade.

Easy pin there today. Strong wind there - almost like Rory is holding that one.

Perfect drive on a fully blind hole 9.

I know some people are not big fans of blind holes ( I love them). But RCD has some of the best ones out there.

You sort of have to trust your own imagination with the image of the hole in your head - or pick a spot / rock / place on Slieve Donard.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

The best route from Newry is;

Head out the Hilltown road, also signposted as Castlewellan and Downpatrick.

At the far side of Hilltown, ignore the right turn signposted newcastle. This is a dreadful road.

Instead continue straight for Castlewellan (this will involve taking a right at a crossroads about 4 miles from Hilltown).

Follow that road to Castlewellan.

At Castlewellan go through the main roundabout, and at the first mini roundabout head right (signposted Newcastle).

About 2 miles up the road there is a left turn for Maghera and Dundrum. Follow this road, and about 5 mins later you'll come to a crossroads.

Hang a right and half a mile later you'll be at Murlough nature reserve... and I imagine surrounded by traffic controls. Murlough backs onto RCD.

This route will keep you away completely from the main Belfast traffic, and away from the arduous Coast road, which would take you directly into Newcastle and traffic hell.

I go to Murlough regularly and it's 30 mins from Newry on this route.

For the man looking into Bryansford GAA club, don't take the left for Maghera, stay on main Newcastle road from Castlewellan and the GAA club is at the end of that road

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Also I've no idea about grandstands and access to dunes, but if I could pick one spot on RCD, it would be above the right of the 11th tee, where you should be able to get eyes on the drives and approaches to 9, the tee shots on 10 (par 3), drives on 11, and maybe approaches to 8.

It's quite a compact course, though with dunes and gorse, 15 yards of a walk can open and close a lot of view points.

Figured out my route and viewing area, straight downstairs, hard right and sit. Should make it in around 20seconds and close to food area and toilets, can leave the rain gear to one side...

k3mayo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Figured out my route and viewing area, straight downstairs, hard right and sit. Should make it in around 20seconds and close to food area and toilets, can leave the rain gear to one side...

k3mayo.jpg

You watching it in your granny's house?

Always one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Always one :)

We'll you did ask for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

U think they will take euro at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Eoinyh wrote: »
    U think they will take euro at it

Why would they take Euros? Even if they did they'd give you a very poor rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Interview after going up on Europeantour.com. Rory being interviewed about the week ahead as host

https://soundcloud.com/europeantour/rory-mcilroy-interview-presented-by-bose

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Inside the ropes view of Rory playing a couple of holes in the Pro Am via Mark Crossfield.

Can't embed video, here's the link:
    https://youtu.be/9P20yJSuUkc

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

stockdam wrote: »
    Why would they take Euros? Even if they did they'd give you a very poor rate.

Cause a lot of places take it in the north an give a fair rate that's why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 11 andresapitt

any knows how can i get there on Saturday from Dublin?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andres.

Rates for the euro are good 1.38 e.g.
    But the current exchange price in general is poor bouncing around 1.35 - 1.40 circa.

From Dublin: Car ideally, (as above/previous).

Possibly buses (with change over in Newry or Belfast), no trains in the Mournes since the dam building/mining days or when the G.I. Joe had a camps up there to spot the Luf.

The J'Planner suggests change over from Europa, but pretty sure there's a Newry-Downpatrick service, from which likely will have one to Newcastle.

Ah, enhanced services during peak hours will be made available they say... Direct from Newry or Belfast.

Next question is, which 'fairly local' rank outsider has played this course a fair bit, possibly offering a decent chance of top 5/10 finish.
    Heard good things about the likes of Moynihan, Gavin & Thornton, Simon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ah, enhanced services during peak hours will be made available they say... Direct from Newry or Belfast.

Next question is, which 'fairly local' rank outsider has played this course a fair bit, possibly offering a decent chance of top 5/10 finish.
    Heard good things about the likes of Moynihan, Gavin & Thornton, Simon...

This is Reeve Whitsons home course so he will know it like the back of his hand, I think he is playing on a German pro tour, don't think he is playing great though. Moynihan and Jack Hume are both excellent players. Kevin Phelan has also played here a bit, he won 5 on 6 matches in the Interpros in 2012, sounds like he fancies the course, he is playing pretty good this year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Re best route from the South.

I'll be travelling up the M1, Google Maps tells me the best route is to get off the A1 just north of Newry and then route to Castlewellan via Rathfriland. Anyone with local knowledge know if this is a decent route, took a look on Streetview and it doesn't look like the best road.

Would I be better off to keep heading the A1 up as far as Banbridge and routing to Castlewellan via Katesbridge?

Thanks.

Advertisement