Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2015 at Royal County Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Are the tee times and playing partners fixed beforehand or are they just random?

They would be fixed the first 2 days for television.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Hopefully the big names will last to Sunday so I get to see them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I'd love to know the same advice if anyone has been to one of these events before, what's the best strategy??

I went to the British Open at Hoylake last year for two days. The first day we kind of followed some groups rather aimlessly so we decided to take a different approach on Sunday. Must say it worked a treat.

We got our way into the stand at the first tee early and watched a lot of the best players tee off. We decided to follow a group for 18 holes then, a less popular group so as not to be lost in a big crowd. Followed Lowry all the way round and watchhed him shoot the joint low round of the day. Then finished up on 18 and waited as the leading groups came in. Watched McIlroy finish up and parade the trophy.

We got lucky in some ways but I recommed actually following a group, you get into their round and get a feel for how the course plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I tend to try to get there early and then follow a group. Generally the crowds will be small and you'll see a lot. Later the crowds will build and they will generally follow the big names.

Later in the day I try to sit at a par three where I can see the tee shots, the putts and then the tee shots for the following hole.

The 16th is a nice hole to watch as the long hitters can drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Tee times are out

Padraig off the 1st at 12.50 PM on Thursday with his old foe Garcia and defending champion Ilonen.

Shane is off the 1st at 1 P.M with Ernie and Frankie Molinari.

McIlroy off the 10th at 8 a.m with Kaymer and Rickie.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2015040/teetimes/index.html

I would expect us to see a good bit of these groups on TV so - excellent. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

All the talk on the tickets about not talking photos, are they usually strict on that or will we be able to get a few sneaky ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

All the talk on the tickets about not talking photos, are they usually strict on that or will we be able to get a few sneaky ones?

It just puts the players off. Because someone will not think a camera makes no noise, but it does or some do.

Anyway - photos are overrated , just watch the golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

It just puts the players off. Because someone will not think a camera makes no noise, but it does or some do.

Everything is better in real life rather than looking through a lense!!!

kiers47 wrote: »
    Everything is better in real life rather than looking through a lense!!!

Agree - just enjoy it. Anyway - lads holding cameras up for photos they don't need or want blocking your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks like the weather is going to be awful. Typical :(

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

are you going?

Seve OB wrote: »
    are you going?

Wanted to go. But work got me this time.

Also was not mad to go - unless I could get accomodation close - and missed that boat.

Have been up there twice in last 3 years - so I think , I'd be also more into going up to play again.

We should organise a trip up at winter rate next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

Misses booked Friday night and Saturday night in Jurys Inn Belfast. Coach down/back and ticket for the Saturday. Looking forward to it I must say. Hopefully Rory makes the cut for the 1st time in 2 years....

I'm not sure what to make of the travel arrangements though. I dont think she realised how far the course is from Belfast. Pretty little suprise for her.

Looks like the weather is going to be awful. Typical :(

As Irish Opens go.
    The Wind is ok

The rain is mixed - and not that heavy most days.

There are good clear periods.

There could be a big bit of luck - if the bad band falls Saturday night to lunch time Sunday.

Fingers crossed.

What - others think , I've been at and seen way worse ?

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

What - others think , I've been at and seen way worse ?

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Do you remember the Ryder Cup! now that was pretty crap weather. i think it was pretty crappy in Baltray when Shane won there too.

i'm with you, from what i've seen, it doesn't look that bad

sent you a pm by the way, and yes, we should definitely organise something up there

DamienOB wrote: »
    Misses booked Friday night and Saturday night in Jurys Inn Belfast. Coach down/back and ticket for the Saturday. Looking forward to it I must say. Hopefully Rory makes the cut for the 1st time in 2 years....

I'm not sure what to make of the travel arrangements though. I dont think she realised how far the course is from Belfast. Pretty little suprise for her.

Belfast a great city - you will have a great time.

Yes it is an hour from there - but the key for you , is how well that flows when you get off bus to whatever car park they send you.

I'm interseted in how the logistics of the location pan out.

We want to hold big events at links in Ireland - but we want to get good at it.

It is interesting they have kept it low at 20,000 per day - is that right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

It is interesting they have kept it low at 20,000 per day - is that right ?

Been a good few years since I played it but space would be quite tight on a lot of holes for spectators from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like good links weather to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

Belfast a great city - you will have a great time.

Yes it is an hour from there - but the key for you , is how well that flows when you get off bus to whatever car park they send you.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I was just on the website. 2 Car parks. 1 park and walk 15 min. 1 Park and ride. Hopefully there's a coach drop off point somewhere near there.

We're getting picked up at 7am so we should be there before most of the heavy stuff arrives anyway. Collected 45 mins after the final group play the last 18.

Anyone any tips for things to do in Belfast that won't take hours? Saturday be a pretty tiring day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So Rory's pro-am partners were late to the tee box after paying a lot of cash for the honour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Keano wrote: »
    So Rory's pro-am partners were late to the tee box after paying a lot of cash for the honour!

rory-mcilroy-with-a-flava-flav-clock-548x500.jpg

B&B sorted... now just to blag myself a ticket :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

B&B sorted... now just to blag myself a ticket :D

What day? I have one season ticket spare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Seve OB wrote:
    B&B sorted... now just to blag myself a ticket

Did you give away all your corporate VIP tickets??

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

From the looks of things, they will escape the worst of the weather over the weekend.

xLfKcrT.png?1

What day? I have one season ticket spare

thanks J... that was meant tongue in cheek, the Bro in law should be sorting me out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

K3v wrote: »
    From the looks of things, they will escape the worst of the weather over the weekend.

xLfKcrT.png?1

9 degrees! Jaysus, summer eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

thanks J... that was meant tongue in cheek, the Bro in law should be sorting me out

Kinda figured that one out after I typed it. I am heading up on Sat if your around.

J

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lovely up there, shorts!

11312256_898960710163886_998119934_n.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Kinda figured that one out after I typed it. I am heading up on Sat if your around.

J

yea, i'll be there

Advertisement