Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RED ROCK [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

410,800 watched last night

It peaked at 410,800 averaged 310,000 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Elmo wrote: »
    It peaked at 410,800 averaged 310,000 or so

Not bad though. Their main aim will be to try and hold onto that number and then start building on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

maximoose wrote: »
    I probably had my expectations too high. I didn't know much about the show going in, had seen the billboards and posters all over Dublin which made it seem like a gritty garda corruption story or something, and read they had spent something like €7m on the show (what did they waste that on?!). Didn't see the TV ad, but was told it was very well made and looked promising. I was kind of expecting a TV3 answer to Love/Hate.

The first I knew it was a soap was when the announcer said it just before the show :pac:

Anyway, not for me.

They really mis-sold it in the promos I think.

The 7m wouldn't have been spent on the first episode - that's probably the cost of the entire series (20 episodes or more maybe?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

300, 000 average sounds a lot more realistic. always dubious about these figures though and their calculation methods (nielsen calculation etc). For a first episode so highly publicised it wasnt excellent but the EE clash wouldnt have helped. True test will be over next few weeks.

on another note how many minutes was it on for. It started about 8.32 on my watch and finished at 8.55. Then you consider the circa 5 minute ad break and title sequence, it effectively amounted to 17 minutes. and there was a lot of non dialogue location camera work, which while impressively shot took a couple of minutes from show, so we will say 15 minutes of dialogue which is pretty poor. an hour long opening episode would have been a better idea. And thats ignoring the staring into the camera shots!

oh and with multiple mentions of the respective family names, "the hennessys".... "the Kielys"....i imagibe we can take another minute or so off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Tonights figures will be telling. Even reading here. Some looked to see what it was like and wont watch again. Tonight viewership be interesting

• Advertisement

I wont be watching I didn't like it at all

The Camera work was really weird The acting was really bad I did like it was out doors a lot yes I watch Fair City its a mediocre soap but the Fair City thread is great for the crack

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wont be watching I didn't like it at all

The Camera work was really weird The acting was really bad I did like it was out doors a lot yes I watch Fair City its a mediocre soap but the Fair City thread is great for the crack

Give it a chance though. They were unlikely to come up with a stunning opening episode that was going to hook the whole country in. When Brookside started in the UK in 1982, it had a very different feel to other shows but it was a similarly low key start to Red Rock and they spent the first few weeks and months establishing the characters.

I imagine Red Rock will average around 300,000 for the first 5 weeks, then start dipping to about 200,000 and level off, and will then begin to increase. TV3 expect this to happen.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    Give it a chance though. They were unlikely to come up with a stunning opening episode that was going to hook the whole country in. When Brookside started in the UK in 1982, it had a very different feel to other shows but it was a similarly low key start to Red Rock and they spent the first few weeks and months establishing the characters.

When Brookside started it was on a New government owned TV station and it never reached the kind of audienceof EastEnders or Coronation Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

For my money, its better than fair city, not as good as eastenders or coronation street. Have to imagine they don't have nearly the same budgets mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How many of these live in Ireland? Even the big TV stars fly in from London for a few weeks/months work.

The problem is the money. They don't have the money to attract really good talent.

Colin Farrell started off as a traveller in Ballykissangel. Its all well and good to say we dont have the talent in Ireland, but the truth is the talent in Ireland don't have the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

on another note how many minutes was it on for. It started about 8.32 on my watch and finished at 8.55. Then you consider the circa 5 minute ad break and title sequence, it effectively amounted to 17 minutes. and there was a lot of non dialogue location camera work, which while impressively shot took a couple of minutes from show, so we will say 15 minutes of dialogue which is pretty poor. an hour long opening episode would have been a better idea. And thats ignoring the staring into the camera shots!

oh and with multiple mentions of the respective family names, "the hennessys".... "the Kielys"....i imagibe we can take another minute or so off!!

21 minutes, 20 seconds including titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's so short you'd be better off watching it online if you've a spare 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Strazdas wrote: »

The only shows that ever had a good pilot episode were Family Guy, MacGyver and Father Ted.

Neeson wrote: »
    It's so short you'd be better off watching it online if you've a spare 20 minutes.

Only used the TV3 Player once or twice but is jammed with ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Elmo wrote: »
    Only used the TV3 Player once or twice but is jammed with ads.

Adblock!

As a matter of interest, was it mentioned how the guards got notification of a body lying in an obscure location. If someone found a body, would they just call the guards and saunter off, especially if body had a pulse! I can't imagine the Gardai just happened to be on the beat down that way at that time of the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No, the opening shot is the body on the beach and the gardai kneeling next to it isn't it?

cloud493 wrote: »
    No, the opening shot is the body on the beach and the gardai kneeling next to it isn't it?

no i think it was the body on the beach with no surrounding people. then it cut to tbe guards walking up to the body, very casually, and just calling an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I thought it was okay. Its going to take a while to establish so I'll give it the chance it deserves. No great soap ever started on a high. The one thing I hated was the terrible theme tune. A harmonica? Really? And that gombeen guard is already starting to annoy me but maybe thats the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

They should've made the first episode at least an hour long to establish characters & background story & maje us want to follow their story.
    As it was,we barely got a glimpse at any characters really in 20 mins & certainly none of them are likeable or relateable so far.

Will give it a chance of course to see if it finds its feet but first showing could've been & should've been sooooo much better & pulled us in. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

MelanieC wrote: »
    They should've made the first episode at least an hour long to establish characters & background story & maje us want to follow their story.
    As it was,we barely got a glimpse at any characters really in 20 mins & certainly none of them are likeable or relateable so far.

Will give it a chance of course to see if it finds its feet but first showing could've been & should've been sooooo much better & pulled us in. :-(

I liked some of the unlikeable characters! But I agree - a one hour show rather than 2 short half hours would be better.

Someone else said earlier that this needs to be given a chance, and I think that means watching a few episodes. I'm old enough to remember the first episodes of other tv dramas that were indescribably bad. I think it's true to say that we have a lot more choice now than years ago so people are more impatient to form a view.

Leeenda mark 1! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do Garda hats only come in one size, they look too big for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Has everyone given up on this already?
    Only myself and the Gunner from Tipp watching tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lapin wrote: »

Dull and dreary with a lot of looking at each other,we're supposed to fill in the silences ourselves apparently.

Lapin wrote: »

And its not with eager anticipation either i can tell you :pac: Although compared to Fair City its like a top HBO series.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm here.

But sick as a small hospital, so no energy to form opinions, never mind post them.

It's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

That coppers gas. Where was that road with his rental property there? Something avenue? Couldn't make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Gardaí won't like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Loving it! You can see how the shops and cafes are going to be set up as it continues

We started to get to know a bit more of the characters tonight and the bit of comedy was good I thought it was going the love/hate route

Looking forward to next weeks episodes

Advertisement