Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RED ROCK [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭walshb

An Garda Siochana will be delighted with their portrayal.

The Kiely mother is comical, as is her dopey son who she has acting like her robot!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

I believe the second episode has built excellently on the first one. For some reason I didn't feel it was as rushed, possibly because the first one was spent introducing all the characters.

I like the outside filming, and overall I think the acting and storyline is refreshing, and dare I say it, exactly what I was hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think it's great. Cathy Belton is brilliant as head of the Hennessy family... Proper Soap Villain - very Machiavellian.

The scene is set, the characters are introduced (well the majority of them - think there's one or two more still to meet), and there's a few storylines underway.

Reminds me a lot of Ros na Rún in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Not bad but a bit boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That episode was definitely better. Some real poor acting though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pity it's only 2 episodes a week, only really gets going and it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Anyone know where it's set?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

m'lady wrote: »
    Anyone know where it's set?

Howth or Dun Laoghaire! Hennessy's are from Dun Laoghaire and the Keily's are from Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Its not bad thought we would have another "Deception" on our hands,but so far its not bad,

That lazy cop is good,just happy to be a cop and get away with doing sweet FA if he can manage it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Elmo wrote: »
    Howth or Dun Laoghaire! Hennessy's are from Dun Laoghaire and the Keily's are from Howth.

Ahem.. I take it you aren't from Dublin. It's so Blackrock! Clue is in the name ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

desbrook wrote: »
    Ahem.. I take it you aren't from Dublin. It's so Blackrock! Clue is in the name ;)

you clearly aren't! all howth, dun laoghaire and drimnagh. The name is terrible if you ask me for a town but catchy as a title which is its main aim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

you clearly aren't! all howth, dun laoghaire and drimnagh. The name is terrible if you ask me for a town but catchy as a title which is its main aim

Where is it set was the question - not where is it shot .

desbrook wrote: »
    Where is it set was the question - not where is it shot .

Its set in Red rock, a north county dublin coastal town.?! It's filmed in Howth/Dun Laoghaire/drimnagh

You can use that answer if anyone else asks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I am very impressed I have to say. It has all been set up nicely, and when the Sgt walked into the Hennessy family meeting at the end of the first ep I was like whoa! which is what you want a good tv show make you do really.
    I really am looking forward to next week.
    It's a bit strange to see Anthony Brophy without a spanish accent though :D

SarahBM wrote: »
    I am very impressed I have to say. It has all been set up nicely, and when the Sgt walked into the Hennessy family meeting at the end of the first ep I was like whoa! which is what you want a good tv show make you do really.
    I really am looking forward to next week.
    It's a bit strange to see Anthony Brophy without a spanish accent though :D

What made you "whoa" about the seargent walkig into the family home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

They should have it as an hourly episode once a week. Also I think the bad cop underage girl story line was a mistake. You want to keep bad guys like that in the show. Maybe have him involved in drug dealing but impossible to prove.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Dunne

That one actor who should have been approached. He is a great bad guy.

Also change the plastic number plates on the squad cars to aluminum. They have done an excellent job replicating real patrol cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Chris___ wrote: »
    They should have it as an hourly episode once a week.

Quite right.
    An hourly episode once a week.......... after 9pm..........
    Considering the topics and storylines that could be dealt with I would have a big problem suspending my disbelief if the violence and bad language is always missing.
    As it currently exists I would class it as a slimmers cup-a-soup; weak, thin, and not very long lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I enjoyed it. There is something about that just draws you in.

I like the short episode format too. It's much more convenient when you want to watch online or on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Much better second episode but still not fantastic. Hopefully it will continue to improve. I'm gonna stick with it for a while I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

mikom wrote: »
    Quite right.
    An hourly episode once a week.......... after 9pm..........
    Considering the topics and storylines that could be dealt with I would have a big problem suspending my disbelief if the violence and bad language is always missing.
    As it currently exists I would class it as a slimmers cup-a-soup; weak, thin, and not very long lasting.

A hour long episode once a week post-watershed with swearing and violence would be no "soap"......that would be heading more into Love Hate territory, when it's raison d'etre is to be TV3's resident soap opera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Strazdas wrote: »
    A hour long episode once a week post-watershed with swearing and violence would be no "soap"......that would be heading more into Love Hate territory, when it's raison d'etre is to be TV3's resident soap opera.

Centering it around feuding gangs and a garda station would seem to have been a mistake so.
    To have a Raison d'être you have to exist, and I can't see this show in its current form lasting long tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I was being sarcastic with my howth / dun laorghaire remark as both are at opposite ends of the city.

Any everyone knows howth is the posher of the 2

Proud northsider here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

eviltwin wrote: »
    I thought it was okay. Its going to take a while to establish so I'll give it the chance it deserves. No great soap ever started on a high. The one thing I hated was the terrible theme tune. A harmonica? Really? And that gombeen guard is already starting to annoy me but maybe thats the idea.

I missed the 2nd episode and I was only half-watching 1st episode on Wednesday as I was on a laptop at the time. If anyone looks at long lasting soap dramas and takes a look back at very first episode and early editions, you would be surprised how the same soaps managed to survive at all.

I have searched You Tube and found 1st episodes of popular soap drama serials: Emmerdale Farm and Neighbours and they were not great - after a while they often tend to improve and Emmerdale Farm really changed when they moved away from an over reliance on farming (they even dropped Farm from soap name) and it became more about the village and relationships and the very odd bit of farming. Actually now that I recall, the village used to be called Beckinsdale in the Emmerdale Farm days but the village became Emmerdale when the Farm was dropped some years ago. Looking back, it was probably a smart move as the soap survived and remains quite popular to this day.

Eldorado set in a Spanish resort was heralded as the replacement for Wogan which used go out live three nights a week: Mon/Wed/Fri from 7:00pm on BBC 1 from around 1985-1992 period. Eldorado never caught on and was axed after a short time on air. They axed tea-time soap Crossroads on ITV and after a long gap it was revived for a short time again only to be buried again! Take the High Road was another one in the afternoons on ITV. Fair City which started in 1989 took about 5 years to really catch the general public's imagination but has managed to obtain consistently high ratings once it took hold from 1994 onwards.

I believe Red Rock will develop and can improve in time if they learn from errors made by other productions over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

eviltwin wrote: »
    I thought it was okay. Its going to take a while to establish so I'll give it the chance it deserves. No great soap ever started on a high. The one thing I hated was the terrible theme tune. A harmonica? Really? And that gombeen guard is already starting to annoy me but maybe thats the idea.

The theme music for Red Rock has everyone disappointed (including myself too I might add) but that said, I am now starting to wonder if this is exactly why this style of theme signature tune was chosen in the first place - a lot of folk have made reference to it which is no bad thing when you are trying to generate any publicity and comments in public forums/news media/social networks and so on...

It will be interesting if the soap lasts medium-long term and if the theme signature tune is left alone altogether or re-worked shortly? Time will tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

The theme music for Red Rock has everyone disappointed (including myself too I might add) but that said, I am now starting to wonder if this is exactly why this style of theme signature tune was chosen in the first place - a lot of folk have made reference to it which is no bad thing when you are trying to generate any publicity and comments in public forums/news media/social networks and so on...

It will be interesting if the soap lasts medium-long term and if the theme signature tune is left alone altogether or re-worked shortly? Time will tell...

They said that the theme was supposed to be modern western type or something like that. I hate the harmonica. But having said that, I wasn't as annoyed about the theme last night on the 2nd episode. It's certainly memorable!

Edit: Just saw that Red Rock is going out as a 2 episode omnibus on Sunday from 6pm to 7pm.

I am not sure if this is a comedy/soap or drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I caught the second episode and thought it was pretty good for what it is. Good mix of serious storylines with a few lighter moments.

I thought the female characters were definitely the strongest and most interesting - getting Cathy Belton on board was a bit of a coup, great actress.

I think this will do well for TV3... but that harmonica has to go!

I caught the second episode and thought it was pretty good for what it is. Good mix of serious storylines with a few lighter moments.

I thought the female characters were definitely the strongest and most interesting - getting Cathy Belton on board was a bit of a coup, great actress.

I think this will do well for TV3... but that harmonica has to go!

She's a very attractive lady, is Belton. Her character is quite pantomime like. Not really believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

I was expecting the worst from this but I enjoyed it. Some good story lines and some pretty good acting. Not sure how the "crime of the week" element is going to work but so far so good. The harmonica needs to go though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Not sure what to make of this really. It's one of those 'so bad it's good' type of things.

I enjoyed it anyway.

Advertisement