Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RED ROCK [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I am hoping that last night was the beginning of a crime story with the finding of a body in that house. They did say they would have regular crime stories.

will Red Rock turn in to Cabot Cove?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,194 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The episode lasts for about 22 mins or so. Very short.

It's dragging a bit for me. Is Bridget Kiely the biological mother of the man killed and the daughter and Keith?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

When the young female ban-garda was looking at the CCTV footage & saw yer man with the school girl.... who was yer man? Was it the Super or one of the guards we have already met in the series? Thanks in advance

When the young female ban-garda was looking at the CCTV footage & saw yer man with the school girl.... who was yer man? Was it the Super or one of the guards we have already met in the series? Thanks in advance

A more senior garda. He was in the first two episodes. Late 30s early 40s I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

What other TV program was that young female garda in, I remember her face????..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

walshb wrote: »
    A more senior garda. He was in the first two episodes. Late 30s early 40s I'd say.

Yes, and was on some of the billboards with the phrase "It's not just criminals that cross the line". So clearly more to come on that chap. Definitely not the super.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Another great episode tonight imo. Really enjoying this so far, excellent acting too. I definitely read about another family being introduced(the school girl that's seeing the guard is part of the family) Anyone know when we will meet them or has that already happened and I've missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Another great episode tonight imo. Really enjoying this so far, excellent acting too. I definitely read about another family being introduced(the school girl that's seeing the guard is part of the family) Anyone know when we will meet them or has that already happened and I've missed it?

no just the first 2 families and the gaurds

Jeez, I think the acting is dreadful....

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

The best acting so far is from the girl who's brother died. Otherwise it's pretty hit and miss, but I know it's early days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

We've already met some of the other family... The Reids who are running Neptune Café - the Da is having the affair with Patricia Hennessy and the older daughter Niamh who was witness to the fight... I'd say the younger daughter who's having the affair with the guard will come into in the next week or so and they'll focus about more on that family, now that we're a bit more familiar with the Hennessys, the Kiely and the Gardaí...

Really enjoying the show - liked the banter with the squad car. Patricia Hennessy, Katie Kiely and Sharon Cleere are the standout characters so far, but I'm liking the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

We've already met some of the other family... The Reids who are running Neptune Café - the Da is having the affair with Patricia Hennessy and the older daughter Niamh who was witness to the fight... I'd say the younger daughter who's having the affair with the guard will come into in the next week or so and they'll focus about more on that family, now that we're a bit more familiar with the Hennessys, the Kiely and the Gardaí...

Really enjoying the show - liked the banter with the squad car. Patricia Hennessy, Katie Kiely and Sharon Cleere are the standout characters so far, but I'm liking the lot of them.

Yes, thought the Garda comedy routine was done very well. And again the scenes with the 2 female gardai. There were some moments where the acting in some scenes was a little ropey but we have to remember that this is a show only 4 episodes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Struggling to find positives with Red Rock so far.

It's like a cross between Police Academy and Crossroads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

it seems this show is really not setting off. anyone got viewing figures for this week? or even last thursday? i know wednesday last was high on average but that was inevitable. probably has a few fans but its failed to catch my attention or interest after first 3 episodes. needs a bit of humour maybe to make the characters likeable

it seems this show is really not setting off. anyone got viewing figures for this week? or even last thursday? i know wednesday last was high on average but that was inevitable. probably has a few fans but its failed to catch my attention or interest after first 3 episodes. needs a bit of humour maybe to make the characters likeable

The series was always going to attract attention in it first week on the air. Then you'd see a significant drop. as it stays on the air it will begin to grow an audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I'm starting to enjoy it actually. I thought it odd that the blonde Ban Garda who is married to the other guard was questioning her brother on a professional basis. Surely she shouldn't be involved in the case(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ann22 wrote: »
    I'm starting to enjoy it actually. I thought it odd that the blonde Ban Garda who is married to the other guard was questioning her brother on a professional basis. Surely she shouldn't be involved in the case(?)

She's a lawyer not a guard

Elmo wrote: »
    The series was always going to attract attention in it first week on the air. Then you'd see a significant drop. as it stays on the air it will begin to grow an audience.

But they needed to make a big statement in the first few episodes, keep the early viewers. I have just watched the first ever episode of EE. It is thesmall things that EE achieved then, introducing the characters in a subtle but interesting way without going too overboard. Sure there was a body found also, funnily, (not really, it is clear this idea was nicked by R R) but the episode wasn't just about that, it was about the characters and their dynamics. You could immediately familiarise yourself somewhat with a character without the use of big plots, an affair with a schoolkid, a murder, police corruption, this "romeo and juliet" plot. And then there was all this "slick" (most over used adjective to describe this soap i have heard!!) production and location scenes.
    All these plots are important but slow and steady wins the race. The most important thing for a soap to do is to establish the characters as they are the story. Every soap has a murder and an affair but not every soap has a "Dirty Den" , a Frank tate, a Phil Mitchell or a Ken Barlow. Characters are what makes a soap and maybe if we see a bit more personal dialogue rather than this tedious stereotype police talk, it may improve.

You are probably best to compare Red Rock to Brookside, Family Affairs or Hollyoaks.

EastEnders in 1985 had BBC1's schedule and other programming surrounding it, the BBC up to that point wanted to avoid Soap Opera.

Red Rock's audience suffers from the fact that TV3 have little to offer them outside Red Rock, if TV3 had started showing Red Rock this time last year at 8 on Monday and Friday between Coro St they would have attracted a bigger audience even by going up against EastEnders. EastEnders isn't as strong as Coro St. You might annoy a few people but they can catch EastEnders at 9pm on +1

Elmo wrote: »
    You are probably best to compare Red Rock to Brookside, Family Affairs or Hollyoaks.

EastEnders in 1985 had BBC1's schedule and other programming surrounding it, the BBC up to that point wanted to avoid Soap Opera.

Red Rock's audience suffers from the fact that TV3 have little to offer them outside Red Rock, if TV3 had started showing Red Rock this time last year at 8 on Monday and Friday between Coro St they would have attracted a bigger audience even by going up against EastEnders. EastEnders isn't as strong as Coro St. You might annoy a few people but they can catch EastEnders at 9pm on +1

this was precisely a point i have made numerous times. TV3 should have had the balls to create their own soap before now to prevent a scenario like this which they must have had a bit of an 1dea was a possibility (losing the ITV stuff).

now its under pressure and the programme listing on the station is a disastorous mix of repeats and poor shows like lucy kennedy and expose. Vincent Browne last night was a disatorous show (peoples debate). so they really need to step it up now. but is it too late??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

needs a bit of humour maybe to make the characters likeable

And there was me thinking that the last episode had lots of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Plot lines more suited to a post watershed show meaning I have to suspend my disbelieve beyond my ability, No stand out characters, Drab colours throughout, Short episodes, yet strangely slow moving, no one will ever hum the theme tune (try it).

I can see this going only one way.

mikom wrote: »
    Plot lines more suited to a post watershed show meaning I have to suspend my disbelieve beyond my ability, No stand out characters, Drab colours throughout, Short episodes, yet strangely slow moving, no one will ever hum the theme tune (try it).

I can see this going only one way.

The theme tune is horrendous!

walshb wrote: »
    The theme tune show is horrendous!

:D

We've already met some of the other family... The Reids who are running Neptune Café - the Da is having the affair with Patricia Hennessy and the older daughter Niamh who was witness to the fight... I'd say the younger daughter who's having the affair with the guard will come into in the next week or so .
    Ah yes, it's the Reids I was thinking of! :)

The best acting so far is from the girl who's brother died. Otherwise it's pretty hit and miss, but I know it's early days

I think the female blonde guard was brilliant in the hospital scenes the other night but yes, the girl who plays Katie is great too

I think the female blonde guard was brilliant in the hospital scenes the other night but yes, the girl who plays Katie is great too

I didn't see any blonde garda. Do you mean the Hennessy solicitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I've had enough of this now. I can't bear the idea of hearing that theme tune ever again.

Whilst it's not dreadful, it's certainly not very good and not really enough to keep you interested until Wednesday of the following week!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

I'm the opposite, loving this soap/drama, the well thought out garda storylines, the quite well done humour pieces, and an expectation that it can only get better as it settles. I don't like the 6 day wait but that's a good vote for the show!

So i'm looking forward to it more than i'd be looking forward to the next episode of most other soaps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Why did the female sergent and yer one change into civvies to tell the old guy about his daughter? I couldn't get my head around that part.

Advertisement