Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Does anyone know definitively how many opted for the 200km last year?

I heard from one of the marshalls after the 100/200 split that a lot had opted for the shorter distance because of the conditions so would be interested in finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

MugMugs wrote: »
    Lies make baby Jesus cry !

Take that Lisa's beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,529 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I heard from one of the marshalls after the 100/200 split that a lot had opted for the shorter distance because of the conditions so would be interested in finding out.

No, they were just doing the 300 instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

From this Irish Times Article

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/record-turnout-for-wicklow-cycling-events-1.1824972

'By about 4pm 1,371 cyclists had completed the cycle - just 146 of whom had done the 200 kilometre version. “I think the downpour may have put some people off” said Ms O’Mara. “People were able to decide at the last minute. If it was raining in the hills when they got to Laragh they could simply turn left” she said'

4pm would have seen quite a few cyclists completing the 200 so by the articles reckon, it wasnt that many..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

weather last year was someting else, though it added to the day imo. the tailwind up the wicklow gap alone was worth the suffering.

If you thought last year was bad,you would have hated the 2011 200,now that was a hard day,people had to abandon with hypothermia. Not to mention the riders who crashed into the river at high speed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If you thought last year was bad,you would have hated the 2011 200,now that was a hard day,people had to abandon with hypothermia. Not to mention the riders who crashed into the river at high speed!!

I punctured that day,after the Sally Gap. My hands were so cold, it took me about twenty minutes to get the tyre back onto the rim.
    And there's the story from that year about the two guys, who did the W200 on a tandem. One of them became so cold, he quit just before the Shay Elliot. The other one finished on the tandem by himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

2011 was a grim year indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Jaysus! What am i getting myself into?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Jaysus! What am i getting myself into?

Calm down, its not a cyclocross race.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

All the stats for 2014 are here: http://www.wicklow200.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014times.pdf

Based on this, I did some crunching on the numbers when the PDF was posted up:
    330373.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭fillup

So 10 hrs at 19.59km/h and I'm over the line

easy peasy, what could possibly go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

fillup wrote: »

If the line is just over 4 km from the finish, yeah yer grand ;)

If the line is just over 4 km from the finish, yeah yer grand ;)
    durrrrrrrrrrr - yeah the auld mental maths went a bit mental there.
    Good Spot (as we used to say to our mutt when he gave us the paw)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

fillup wrote: »

First time I did it it was more like 11 hours and my brother in law took 12! It was pretty epic, and surprisingly quite a bit more fun than subsequent years.

(* to be fair, it was 2011, I was on a 13kg hybrid, he was on a hard tail MTB )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What were the invalid entries? Those who didn't get medals?

I think I will do this this year. Might not have a lot of time to train for it but sure we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

ror_74 wrote: »
    2011 was a grim year indeed.

I still have the mental scars from the 100 that year, started early around 6:20am and rain started not long after that and then 4 hours of hell ensued

i also remember it was 105km and those extra 5km were just killer.

Plan on doing the 200 next year though

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Signed up just to motivate myself for the year ahead

My first sportive I assume you can choose the 100/200 on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Signed up just to motivate myself for the year ahead

My first sportive I assume you can choose the 100/200 on the day?

Yeah you can choose on the day, you'll have up to laragh to decide and the split is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

oconnpad wrote: »
    I still have the mental scars from the 100 that year, started early around 6:20am and rain started not long after that and then 4 hours of hell ensued

i also remember it was 105km and those extra 5km were just killer.

Plan on doing the 200 next year though

I remember joining up with different groups and everyone was complaining of hell on earth, and passing the ambulance with those chaps who crashed into the river.

But made it home in time for tea. :)

Some pics:

P1000213-2.jpg
    P1000209-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

route66 wrote: »
    All the stats for 2014 are here: http://www.wicklow200.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014times.pdf

Based on this, I did some crunching on the numbers when the PDF was posted up:
    330373.JPG

That indicates an almost 50/50 split between people doing the 100 and 200, certainly didn't seem like that on the day, and the Irish Times article linked earlier said very few had completed the 200 by 4pm, I presume the numbers on that list are for people who started the 200, i.e. said they would do the 200 route but then took the "feck this" option at Laragh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

ror_74 wrote: »
    I remember joining up with different groups and everyone was complaining of hell on earth, and passing the ambulance with those chaps who crashed into the river.

But made it home in time for tea. :)

Great pics. I had 'almost' forgotten why I swore never to do it again. Thanks for the reminder.

They day before is usually sunny if anyone fancies a gentle warm up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

daragh_ wrote: »
    Great pics. I had 'almost' forgotten why I swore never to do it again. Thanks for the reminder.

They day before is usually sunny if anyone fancies a gentle warm up.

Depends on who is in charge of route planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

godtabh wrote: »

I think I will do this this year. Might not have a lot of time to train for it but sure we'll see.

This is just my interpretation of the numbers in the PDF:
    330392.JPG

Statler wrote: »
    That indicates an almost 50/50 split between people doing the 100 and 200, certainly didn't seem like that on the day, and the Irish Times article linked earlier said very few had completed the 200 by 4pm, I presume the numbers on that list are for people who started the 200, i.e. said they would do the 200 route but then took the "feck this" option at Laragh.

If you click on the PDF and look at the raw data, it appears that the Irish Times article was wrong. But then, maybe I'm wrong - e.g. I don't know the criteria for having a 200 - rather than a 100 - in an individual entry in the PDF; is it based on preference stated @ the start or what you said when you finished? I did exclude some entries based on data which looked obviously incorrect but I suppose only those involved in the organisation can say for sure.

I personally posted a sub average result in the 200 event :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

this pic stood out for me as a good representation of much of last year. top of the wicklow gap the heavens opened, made for some sketchy descending.

X_dy-cZuvqG_TWS9jBd4njqinki2An3V7Fj2Tft-9PVy9t5dFqX4Drt-etFUaDpWETL0-Q=w1232-h782

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Bad weather? Ok it rained but the tailwind on the Wicklow Gap is what I remember most from last year...Hell? No it was Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

I should have done it in a boat last year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭billyhead

Signed up for next years event myself. Did it last year for the 1st time. Enjoyable event although nearly came down when a group crashed right in front of me. Also had a hairy moment descending one of the climbs when the bike suffered a speed wobble. TBH it a very doable event. I was only logging at most on average 150km a week on the road bike
    from March onwards with a couple of spin classes during the week and managed to do it in under 8.5 hours rolling time. For anyone who has not done the 200 yet its well worth giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    ... Also had a hairy moment descending one of the climbs when the bike suffered a speed wobble...
    Pressing both knees against the top bar will break it. (Loose grip on the bars will prevent it).

Pressing both knees against the top bar will break it. (Loose grip on the bars will prevent it).

I don't follow the "pressing both knees" bit.

Care to elaborate?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

godtabh wrote: »

No no invalid entries are people who didn't pay but took a medal and left the people who did deserve a medal without one. Me bitter? No!!!

Advertisement