Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

As you say, fair play to him for getting going. You never know, maybe he has a really good sense of humour, and it was worn in irony. Maybe something similar to the motorbike for sale in the driveway on the bottom of Slieve Mann - I wondered at the time was someone having a laugh with that!

Haha, noticed that myself and had I the cash I might have been tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I met a boardsie going up kilmacanogue who was aiming for 300km, not sure if you gave me your name or username but was good to meet you! Waved at WA as he was heading over from Rush..absolute mad man as always :pac: Also spotted a boards Jersey at the end in the hall, silver/grey helmet and black bib shorts, was chomping down my pasta so didn't say hello! :pac:

Also on the note of older riders, I was rolling with a small group all the way to roundwood and one of the riders was in his 70's and had apparently won the Rás a few times..so that was pretty cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

who was aiming for 300km

WA, no doubt. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

Zyzz wrote: »
    I met a boardsie going up kilmacanogue who was aiming for 300km, not sure if you gave me your name or username but was good to meet you! Waved at WA as he was heading over from Rush..absolute mad man as always :pac: Also spotted a boards Jersey at the end in the hall, silver/grey helmet and black bib shorts, was chomping down my pasta so didn't say hello! :pac:

Also on the note of older riders, I was rolling with a small group all the way to roundwood and one of the riders was in his 70's and had apparently won the Rás a few times..so that was pretty cool :)

black long sleeve defender jersey and bib shorts? guy with glasses that could have been me... going up in kilmanacogue remembered somebody shouting boardsie and stayed in pace for a few minutes to say hi and chat a bit before me telling you see you later as im waiting for somebody and you speeding off ... yup was aiming for 300 but didnt make it in the end waited for a bit for my best mate and lots of proper rests and helping guys who had punctures didnt also help with my day pass hours allowed by the missus ... theres always next time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I met a boardsie going up kilmacanogue who was aiming for 300km, not sure if you gave me your name or username but was good to meet you!...
    Alek wrote: »
    WA, no doubt. :D
    Not me Alek. I wasn't aiming for 300k as I knew it would take 320k to get me door to door. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

Not me Alek. I wasn't aiming for 300k as I knew it would take 320k to get me door to door. :cool:

So did you throw Howth into the mix on your way home to bring you past your PB distance-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

zindicato wrote: »
    black long sleeve defender jersey and bib shorts? guy with glasses that could have been me... going up in kilmanacogue remembered somebody shouting boardsie and stayed in pace for a few minutes to say hi and chat a bit before me telling you see you later as im waiting for somebody and you speeding off ... yup was aiming for 300 but didnt make it in the end waited for a bit for my best mate and lots of proper rests and helping guys who had punctures didnt also help with my day pass hours allowed by the missus ... theres always next time:D

Yup that was you, nice to meet ya! :) Speeding off is quite an overstatement now let's just clear that up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What is your longest cycle ever WA?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fillup wrote: »
    So did you throw Howth into the mix on your way home to bring you past your PB distance-wise?
    Regretfully not fillup. The legs were feeling a bit heavy around the 290k mark (with over 4,000m climbed at that stage) so I decided to head straight home. I rallied again after about 10k so I should have stuck it out. I wouldn't mind but I should have known from doing audax that these low points pass after a while.

It ended up being my 2nd longest ride (320k) and the 3rd most climbing (4,200m+) in a single ride
    bazermc wrote: »
    What is your longest cycle ever WA?
    332kms bazermac https://app.strava.com/activities/283520142 - nothing compared to the true hard men of audax!

(I hope to do a 400k soon but I'll pick a fairly flat route).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Regretfully not fillup. The legs were feeling a bit heavy around the 290k mark

great quote! My legs tend to feel heavy after 90k! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I'd reckon that was myself. I was chatting to someone going up the long hill and remember discussing it. Plan was to do the planned evil 200 or at least alter it a bit and then head out to howth which would have brought me up to 300.

Only managed 218km due to eating too much at my food stop in laragh. Felt really full and loss focus and motivation. Stupid mistake as i don't think i even needed to stop as i was eating great on the bike. I'm confident i can do it so ill give it a go again next month.

Rookie mistake i suppose as i was wasn't sure how i would got on and over done it been cautious.

I was on a white bike in a black and yellow mavic kit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Not sure if anybody has seen this yet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

MugMugs wrote: »

And closer to home....... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057444606

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

crosstownk wrote: »

Well I learned something new from that thread. Apparently it takes two or more people to successfully tip a cow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Poor Jenny's in for a bad time on Social Media and to make it worse she seems hell bent on replying to most comments...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Bad form whoever beat that lads Dolphin up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Bad form whoever beat that lads Dolphin up though.

well at least I am not the only sado who actually read that thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Some good pics on FBI Book. Lots of a certain boards.ie unofficial kit too.

Kind of wish I'd worn mine now!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.832858236767886.1073741852.182109398509443&type=3

I'm in a few! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

Some good pics on FBI Book. Lots of a certain boards.ie unofficial kit too.

Kind of wish I'd worn mine now!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.832858236767886.1073741852.182109398509443&type=3

I'm in a few! :)

Are you this 3 armed cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The 2015 stats are now available from the WW200 website here: link

I won't comment on my own time, (:o) but can anyone comment on what a reasonable average speed for the 200 event would be? Bear in mind, all times in the WW200 site are elapsed times, including stops.

I did some lunch-time manipulation from the PDF in the above link and sorted the 200KM entries based on average speed. These entries are all faster than 30 KM/H:

353065.JPG

Some of these are obviously wrong, but are all of them? Maybe I'm just envious ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I think 10 hours from log out to log in is a good time. When someone says they did it in 7 hours moving time I wonder.

fwiw I took info from the 2015 pdf and got these.
    100: median time 05:22:11; average time 05:27:56
    200: median time 09:57:41: average time 10:03:23

20 km/hr is average for the W200.
    About 10 years ago I compared the W200 and W100 times. The W200 was about 2 km/hr faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

diomed wrote: »
    I think 10 hours from log out to log in is a good time. When someone says they did it in 7 hours moving time I wonder.
    Blorg did it in around 7 hours rolling/8 hours elapsed in 2009. He was in decent shape although only starting to race A4 IIRC.
    blorg wrote: »
    My ride time [in 2009] was 7h02m (193km, average 27.4km/h) and I was murdering myself. Stops on top of that for a total of 8h; if you are not stopping you will really need to figure out your nutrition. Stayed in one group all the way home from Rathdrum which in particular was invaluable.

There are a fair few that go between 6-7 hours who would be good racing cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

I've just had a play with the numbers (Mainly to see how I did in the 100, which I was quite pleased with, especially since I did a detour over the Shay Elliot :) )

There are only 9 times below 7 hours for the 200, once you clear out all the times less than 10 minutes, and ones with no finish times etc.

6 of these are below 6 hours, I'd be inclined to think they were fake, people doing the 100 but claiming to be doing the 200 etc.

The three between 6 and 7 I'm not sure, they could be a really good racer doing an extended training run.

After 7 hours the results start coming in much more regularly, and I'd say the majority are genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I would believe blorg (where is he these days?).
    This year 33 were under 8 hours, 1 under 7 hours (no 1756: 06:58:46 chapeau).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

fwiw I took info from the 2015 pdf and got these.
    100: median time 05:22:11; average time 05:27:56
    200: median time 09:57:41: average time 10:03:23

20 km/hr is average for the W200.
    About 10 years ago I compared the W200 and W100 times. The W200 was about 2 km/hr faster.

That's confirms what I've always known and said, I am Mr. Average!
    Or very slightly above. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I did it in 07:34 rolling, 08:20 elapsed for 202km. I'd consider myself fit but sub A4 standard.

The best strava time I saw was 06:34 rolling (can't post a link from here) ; hence I would suspect quite a few of the 200km folk were between 06:30 and 07:30 rolling with something between 10 mins and an hour for stops, check in etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

There's one crucial piece of information missing to use the link kindly posted above: you need to remember your number!! Can people really remember it?

I did it in 26.6km average, just over seven and a half hours rolling time. Started at 7.30, finished just before 5, so took a few decent breaks. Availed of big groups most of the way round, apart from on the climbs where I pretty much did my own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Great times in there alright

The lad who has the KOM of the "W200 Greystones to Laragh" strava segment https://app.strava.com/segments/7397124 did it in 6h 24min moving, that's impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Also quite a few pics up of the day up on the site as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

When someone says they did it in 7 hours moving time I wonder.

Times really depend on a lot of factors, route, weather, form, wind, rider etc... so I wouldn't not believe it to be honest. A guy I know did it in 6:44 but this guy is an ex pro tri-athlete and still competing part time at the elite level.

Advertisement