Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DS2013

Did the 100 yesterday, it was my first proper event. I thought the whole thing was excellent, good organisation at the start, well marshalled and met some very nice people on the way around. Didn't get into many groups and ended up doing about 40k completely on my own but still really enjoyed it. Looking for suggestions for similar events over the rest of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There was a marshal warning people to get into the small ring at that corner before that surprise 18 percenter at around the 170k mark but it wasn't you. Just wondering are people confusing the two?

I saw one guy wrap his rear derailleur around his cassette on that nasty little climb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

DS2013 wrote: »
    Did the 100 yesterday, it was my first proper event. I thought the whole thing was excellent, good organisation at the start, well marshalled and met some very nice people on the way around. Didn't get into many groups and ended up doing about 40k completely on my own but still really enjoyed it. Looking for suggestions for similar events over the rest of the summer.

Sean Kelly Tour has a 100k event I believe, its late August. Theres a 160 also but its a serious step up from the Wicklow 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Had a great day. Lots of brief friendly chats with fellow cyclists before eventually being dropped by all of them! Very well-organised event and good food stops. Got round in about 8 and a half hours moving time, a full two hours quicker than MB200 the previous week. Got into a few decent groups during the flatter parts of the first half, but they were probably a bit too fast for me in the end as I really struggled with the climbs in the last 50k. I'm always a "slow and steady" type climber but EVERYONE was flying past me on those climbs! Earlier in the day I really enjoyed S Mann, Shay Elliot and the Wicklow Gap.

MB200 and this are both decent confidence boosters ahead of the Marmotte. I would have liked to do yesterday in 8 hours or less, but my only goal in France is to finish, and as my hotel is on top of Alpe D'Huez I'm not even that bothered by the cut-off as I'll have to finish one way or the other!

Rb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Got round in about 8 and a half hours moving time, a full two hours quicker than MB200 the previous week.

Huge difference! Was it the weather? OR is W200 that much easier? Only done MB200 (twice) myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I did my first bit of leading a train, and I think I paid for it later.

A group of Blanch Wheelies caught us on the descent of Wicklow Gap, and we managed to hitch a ride all the way to Baltinglass. I tucked in for the first 10km or so, but then I started to feel a bit guilty for not pulling my weight. Did a few big (for me) turns on the front and really enjoyed it. Not really sure what the protocol is for moving back and forth when there is two lines but pretty sure I made a bo!!ocks of it but I enjoyed it.

Thanks to those who did way more work than me. I was the chap in the lime green Scott gear.

It is really great craic. We did the bit from Hollywood to Baltinglass at nearly 35 km/h, it would usually be 10km/h less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Huge difference! Was it the weather? OR is W200 that much easier? Only done MB200 (twice) myself.

1. Weather: for the MB it was windy.
    2. Groups: only 300 riders split across 3 distances at the MB so very few opportunities to get towed along.
    3. Conservative: I was deliberately conservative on the MB. My first 200 and I knew I had Wicklow this week-I did the MB entirely in zones 1-3.
    4. Elevation: Almost a full extra 1,000m of climbing in the MB.

Rb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Were you marshalling at two different places yesterday? I only recall seeing you down south.

There was a marshal warning people to get into the small ring at that corner before that surprise 18 percenter at around the 170k mark but it wasn't you. Just wondering are people confusing the two?

I am good but not that good. If you did the 100 you wouldnt have come across me. I was at the 102km point just South of Hacketstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Crocked wrote: »
    Firstly, hats off to the IVCA and all the volunteers, really well run event. In fact the best I've ever been on (well it was my first!). I had prepared myself to avoid the Baltinglass stop and just get some water after reading of the delays that can be there but it was perfect along with the rest of the organisation.

I arrived at about 6.10 and the carpark was already full, hoped to start with Unknown Soldier but I got registered about 6.40 and with so many people around I just decided to get on the road and hopefully see him during the day.

Only got into 2 or 3 big groups during the day but I've never ridden in a group before so was happy enough with that and to sit at the back when I did as it was probably safer for all concerned. Found them really mentally tiring, constantly watching those in front of you and trying to keep an even gap. Don't know how ye do it, with all the shouts and pointing at obstacles whilst fantastic it'd just drain me.

It was very cold at the top of the Gap and on the descents during the day but really can't have asked for better weather.

From reading threads from previous years I knew that the15k or so Avoca/Redcross section would be tough and about half way up I thought, is this it!! my legs then went and I started feeling really tired. It was only just before that tight left and short steep climb that I felt ok again. As I approached it all I heard was a shout of slow, car. I was just focused on avoiding the car as I turned and never heard the calls about gearing or hill. I cursed a lot and mashed many levers trying to get as low as fast as I could and just managed it.

Rode the last 25k pretty much solo, I was with 3 other guys pretty much for the whole Redcross section but at that stage I reckoned I'm nearly home and I can suffer for that long so put the foot down. Small group from over the hill cc came through, who'd pissed me off earlier in the day, as I neared Kilcoole so jumped on with them for the last 5km or so which I thought balanced things out.

All in 9.20, with 8.22 rolling. A lot faster then I'd planned on, think the extra water and food I took on board during the day was the difference. Also the fantastic weather.

Think I was near you at the time, Crocked. I was the man with the lime green Scott jersey with an ashen face at that stage. At the Redcross hill that is.

I was at the 102km point just South of Hacketstown

At the bottom of this segment? I need to give it a try the next time I'm around. Are you standing there often BMCF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

bcmf wrote: »
    I am good but not that good. If you did the 100 you wouldnt have come across me. I was at the 102km point just South of Hacketstown

Ah, apologies, it wasn't you I saw so.

@Alek. Yep that's the corner!

Kav0777 wrote:
    Ah, apologies, it wasn't you I saw so.

No need to apologise. You got to see Lenny. That's enough for anyone to handle for one day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fourth year doing it (200km) and a great day - no punctures, mechanicals and the weather was superb. I paid attention to my eating and drinking, so didn't suffer from a 'bonk' which can sometimes creep up on me.. Rolling time of 7:39 for the 200 which I'm delighted with - we did a good bit of stopping at hills to regroup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tameflame

Possibly it was yourself in the CCC gear I was talking to a few km before Slieve Mann? I had no idea of the route and spotted that you had a list on your bars (you were operating in miles so I had to do the conversions!). We also discussed the Tour of Louth last week and you asked me what was the story with the Boards.ie jerseys.

Hi Wishbone Ash, I will intervene here in saying that was me in Cuchulainn gear, it was good to get the info on Boardsie's. I will have to be more organised next year, with my list in miles and Km's. Was good to talk, and I hope you enjoyed your day !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Red Belly wrote: »
    1. Weather: for the MB it was windy.
    2. Groups: only 300 riders split across 3 distances at the MB so very few opportunities to get towed along.
    3. Conservative: I was deliberately conservative on the MB. My first 200 and I knew I had Wicklow this week-I did the MB entirely in zones 1-3.
    4. Elevation: Almost a full extra 1,000m of climbing in the MB.

Rb

You could throw in better road conditions as well. Went across some of the MB route yesterday. Some of the descents from devils glen and then greenane were more suited to a mountain bike with all the gravel and pot holes

Some of the descents from devils glen and then greenane were more suited to a mountain bike with all the gravel and pot holes

Tru dat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

How does the WW200 compare to the Sean Kelly 160 (apart from the obvious)?

On the SK website they list the 160 as having not 1, not 2 but 4 Cat1 climbs on the route (Tickincor, Powers the Pot, Mahon Falls and the Máma Road).

Does any know from first hand experience how do they compare to Ww Gap, Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I'd say the climbs on the SKT are a bit tougher than those on the Wicklow 200. Having said that, they're very doable and the overall route is 40km/1000m climbing shorter, which makes a difference. I'd suggest that if you can do the Wicklow200, you should be ok. Personally speaking, it's my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

How does the WW200 compare to the Sean Kelly 160 (apart from the obvious)?

I'd be interested to know this too. Met a few yesterday on the 200 that said the Sean Kelly was tougher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

martyoo wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know this too. Met a few yesterday on the 200 that said the Sean Kelly was tougher!

Yeah the skt is tougher - Tickinor and Mahon Falls are nasty climbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah the skt is tougher - Tickinor and Mahon Falls are nasty climbs

For me the SKT would be easier (relatively) than the WW200, reason is the 40km of extra distance. I'd prefer the climbs over an extra 40K in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Massive Well done to the IVCA, organisers, marshals, volunteers , medics, and Brendan from team asea for all the brilliant encouragement – brilliant day out thanks to you guys.
    Also a huge thanks to the Irish Bear Grylls cyclist who helped me and numerous other half injured parties – blond guy on a blue flat bar racer on the 200 route – a legend of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Did any of you meet the 84 year old that was doing the 200 for I think the 18th year? Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

Did any of you meet the 84 year old that was doing the 200 for I think the 18th year? Incredible!

Yup we were there early on the morning a pjotog for the ivca i think took photos of him preparing outside😊 amazing gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RTM83

diomed wrote: »
    When I have edited the images I will send a disk to the Wicklow100/200 admin for upload to their website. The images they put up on their website are small - that is the admin choice.

If anyone wants a disk (free) with the original larger images (size 7360x4912, shot at 1/250 second, ISO 400) let me have your postal address by PM. Obviously if ten members of a group want a disk it would be easier to send one disk, and they could copy. Again it is easier to send a disk with many/all images and you could locate your image. E-mailing images would use my monthly broadband allowance quickly as I found out in 2013 (?).
    I took images from about 06:20 to 10:00 at Rocky Valley road, Kilmacanogue, about 30 minutes cycling time from Greystones. If you know your start time it should be easy to find your image. If you want to check if I took an image of you PM me helmet colour, jersey description, bike make (brown hair, about 5'9", from Meath not so good.)

Have you considered using a service like DropBox? Only one upload for you then you could post the link here. It would save you loads of time trying to find people or posting out disks.

A fantastic selfless service, you're a saint (from the 31-year-old guy in a gold helmet, yellow & blue gilet and white bike ;-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Were you marshalling at two different places yesterday? I only recall seeing you down south.

I think this is the hill you mean. It's the one I nearly came a cropper on.

https://www.strava.com/segments/8593523

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.912187,-6.115834,3a,75y,24.74h,83.22t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgJaEGHLJIxya1cApIBVmEA!2e0!6m1!1e1

That's some surprise ramp up at the start of it!

I'm in the top 84.38% on that segment. Quite pleased with that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think this is the hill you mean. It's the one I nearly came a cropper on.

https://www.strava.com/segments/8593523

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.912187,-6.115834,3a,75y,24.74h,83.22t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgJaEGHLJIxya1cApIBVmEA!2e0!6m1!1e1

That's some surprise ramp up at the start of it!

I'm in the top 84.38% on that segment. Quite pleased with that :pac:

I scraped into the top 70% :cool:

I'll take that although I only did the 100.

Had I known it was segment top 10% easy :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Possibly it was yourself in the CCC gear I was talking to a few km before Slieve Mann? I had no idea of the route and spotted that you had a list on your bars (you were operating in miles so I had to do the conversions!). We also discussed the Tour of Louth last week and you asked me what was the story with the Boards.ie jerseys.
    tameflame wrote: »
    Hi Wishbone Ash, I will intervene here in saying that was me in Cuchulainn gear, it was good to get the info on Boardsie's. I will have to be more organised next year, with my list in miles and Km's. Was good to talk, and I hope you enjoyed your day !!
    Nice to meet you tameflame. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

B******. I am 64 and claiming I am too old.
    I took images of almost all the participants. I'll see if I can spot him (any clues as to kit worn or bike?).

Advertisement