Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No major hills.

Leave it out would ya.

I didn't think that climb out of Avoca would ever end. :)

I hope the lads doin the 200 brought arm warmers and jackets of some description the clouds were coming in and it was getting cold as I was finishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Just back from arm pointing - hi viz wearing duty. Everyone looked comfy at the 100km point. My pump only got used once and everyone seemed to have plenty of drink left.
    Saw plenty of Boards kit and The animals form VCB. WA as well.
    Oh! and one or two (hundred) Orwellians.
    Chapeau to you all!
    I am running out of excuses to do this again.

Did the 100 enjoyed it immensely. Went with a 3 people and spent a bit of time catching up / waiting for people. Tended to bomb up the hills and then wait for the rest of the group.

Didn't spot any boardsies but I was in a la Vie Claire jersey and you probably passed me taking a rest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Was coming the other way from round wood to eniskerry and saw a load of brave souls enjoying the hills in the sunshine. Great race faces!

Well done all, hope you enjoyed yourselves 'twas a great day for a cycle. What was the elevation gain for the 100?

Will have to do it next year!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

did the route go down towards manor kilbride from Sally gap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

flatface wrote: »
    Was coming the other way from round wood to eniskerry and saw a load of brave souls enjoying the hills in the sunshine. Great race faces!

Well done all, hope you enjoyed yourselves 'twas a great day for a cycle. What was the elevation gain for the 100?

Will have to do it next year!

1333m

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

1333m

Quite leggy so. Chapeau to all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

godtabh wrote: »
    did the route go down towards manor kilbride from Sally gap?

No. The 200 went over the Wicklow Gap from Laragh to the N81

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I was in 1 of the many Orwell groups today. Did the 100, cycled out and back from Stillorgan so 148 for the day. Great weather for it. First time doing it and thought it was very well-organised.

Was overtaken by someone in a pink boards jersey at about 6.30 this morning coming through Shankill. Wishbone Ash presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Well done to all quite an achievement in any respect, hope to be there next year to meet up with you all! ( at the start obviously:D).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Did the 100 and really enjoyed it - was the real spin of that length with so many hills I'd done so it was an eye opener!

Really well organised event - would like to try tackle the 200 next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well that was bloody awesome. Weather was fantastic, thankfully. Really enjoyed today's cycle. I completed the 100 (101.9km) route in 4 hours and 5 seconds :P Average speed of 25.4kmph which I am quite happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Next year there needs to be mandatory lubrication of chains. Kept over taking / been overtaken by a guy from Rathdrum to the finish and the squeak out of it was shocking. Wouldn't mind but it looked like a fairly new Canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Really enjoyed the 100 today, the Mick Byrne 100 as prep last week meant today was a handy enough day out for our Orwell beginner group. Broken rear dérailleur cable at about 40k meant I was stuck in a single gear on the back from there on, big thanks to the mechanical support guys who tried their best but couldn't get the cable end out of my shifter, just glad I could still get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Just home from the 200. perfect day for it. Well done to IVCA. Superbly organised with loads of marshals and excellent signage. Loads of helpers and plenty of grub at the food stops.

Met a few boardsies, some in disguise - including Nilhg.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Just home to the North again! A great day on the bike. Total elapsed time of 8hrs and 20min and riding time of 7hrs 30. A long day in the saddle!! Averaged 27km per hour which I was happy enough with considering it was me and my mate for the most part. Managed to get into a few good groups along the way. The weather was obviously a massive factor today. Club mates didn't come down this year because of previous years experiences with the weather. The last 20km felt like they would never end. I was feeling great until that point and then I got cramp. The climbs were challenging but nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be and I was surprised there were no really steep climbs anywhere. I would definitely do it again (in good weather obviously).

Some great cyclists on show and some lovely bikes out as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Just in the door from the 200. Did it solo and broke 8hrs (barely), so happy with that.

I only saw one Boards kit - pink in the car park back at shoreline. I don't own Boards kit, so wore the Argos unoffical 2014 kit, including Diadora shoes and Aldi socks :).

Thanks to everyone involved in organising and marshalling, including bcmf, it's always excellently marchalled and all the lads must be hoarse from saying "keep it up, well done" for hours on end!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Just home to the North again! A great day on the bike. Total elapsed time of 8hrs and 20min and riding time of 7hrs 30. A long day in the saddle!! Averaged 27km per hour which I was happy enough with considering it was me and my mate for the most part. Managed to get into a few good groups along the way. The weather was obviously a massive factor today. Club mates didn't come down this year because of previous years experiences with the weather. The last 20km felt like they would never end. I was feeling great until that point and then I got cramp. The climbs were challenging but nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be and I was surprised there were no really steep climbs anywhere. I would definitely do it again (in good weather obviously).

Some great cyclists on show and some lovely bikes out as well!!

Fair play. That's good going. Managed to do it in 7hrs 44 mins averaging 26km p/h. At least I beat last years time by 15 mins. Stuffed from all the food at the 2 stops and the pasta after:)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭devonp

First w200
    really enjoyed it,
    v happy with my climbing on Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot (not bad for a LC82, NIre vs. Spain ;Gerry Armstrong)
    met one boardsie, Fillup, wearing the newest kit, i think on the hill Slieve Mann?, nice to talk to a fellow boardsie
    wore my Velo/Strata3 kit but kept my DHB cosmo rain jacket on, was a bit cool in spots and descending
    Garmin screen froze AGAIN had reset it in Baltinglass so its in 2 parts
    thanks to all the organisers IVCA and all marshalls and people at food stops

https://www.strava.com/activities/321299213
    (total combined just over 200Km, missing a bit??)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

BOOM 200 Completed, it nearly killed me but I'm glad I did it

• Advertisement

AltAccount wrote: »
    including bcmf, it's always excellently marchalled and all the lads must be hoarse from saying "keep it up, well done" for hours on end!
    ....I never said such a thing. Where I was standing there was gravel ( I had no brush) on the corner and as the corner was a very sharp fast left hander and just as you came out the road rose sharply so my encouragment was 'Get outta of that big ring there is a pox of a climb right here'
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Great craic...wouldn't fancy it in the rain.
    Roll on next year.....
    That pasta is repeating on me...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

bcmf wrote: »
    ....I never said such a thing. Where I was standing there was gravel ( I had no brush) on the corner and as the corner was a very sharp fast left hander and just as you came out the road rose sharply so my encouragment was 'Get outta of that big ring there is a pox of a climb right here'
    :p

Ha, that was you, thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

diomed wrote: »
    I took some photos on the Rocky Valley road, Kilmacanogue from 06:00 to 10:00 and am downloading them so I've no idea yet of the quality. The idea was to get images when the W100 and W200 are all together, and at that time the light is better. At mid-day the sun would be too strong. Nice weather, and very little wind.

My transfer software now says ..... transferring 805 of 1989 ... that is a lot, but I won't see any images one until the transfer is over. (slow, slow).
    When I have edited the images I will send a disk to the Wicklow100/200 admin for upload to their website. The images they put up on their website are small - that is the admin choice.

If anyone wants a disk (free) with the original larger images (size 7360x4912, shot at 1/250 second, ISO 400) let me have your postal address by PM. Obviously if ten members of a group want a disk it would be easier to send one disk, and they could copy. Again it is easier to send a disk with many/all images and you could locate your image. E-mailing images would use my monthly broadband allowance quickly as I found out in 2013 (?).
    I took images from about 06:20 to 10:00 at Rocky Valley road, Kilmacanogue, about 30 minutes cycling time from Greystones. If you know your start time it should be easy to find your image. If you want to check if I took an image of you PM me helmet colour, jersey description, bike make (brown hair, about 5'9", from Meath not so good.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't believe it.
    It's after 8.00pm, and nobody has given out about delays at the food stops, or about not getting a medal.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I don't believe it.
    It's after 8.00pm, and nobody has given out about delays at the food stops, or about not getting a medal.

Ah someone has started a new thread.
    This one isnt good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

My first ww200 and first time ever doing a 200. I had a brilliant day. Really enjoyed it all, including all the climbs, but the best bit by far wa being in a group of 70ish, maybe more, going down the n81 between 35 and 40kph for around half an hour. I'm easily pleased I know!!

Very well organised and marshalls were very encouraging and they deserve huge thanks.

7.47 rolling, 26 kph (was 25.9 as I turned left at the last roundabout and ticked over with 30 metres to go!)

For a first 200 im chuffed to honest. onwards and upwards I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

grand day out for the 200 had to stay and accompany my best mate as it was his first w200 finished it anyways lots of stops and lots of encouragement when he arrived at the finish line he shouted his head off and was nearly crying... little over 260kms for me cycled to and fro
    https://www.strava.com/activities/320646047

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

Fupp Me was that a days and a half work in the saddle

First time doing the 200 and what an experience. Fantastic organisation and marshalling. Some tough climbs but I wouldn't have it any other way. The WW200 lived up to its reputation and I'm delighted to have risen to jts challenge.

As for that Numpty in the other thread giving out about roundabouts, feck off we were busting our nuts for the day and you were sitting in a car. Give some respect and kudos to us Olympians who fought and tamed the worst of Wicklow has to offer.

Wiggo May have broken the hour world record today but he didn't have to climb Slieve Mann to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Epic day out , sunshine at last , was feeling good , 6.54 spin , couple of good small groups on the road , lonely enough for last 20 or 30 km , the event has improved since i last done it 5 or 6 years ago

Advertisement