Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

bcmf wrote: »
    Cant say you werent warned!

Thank God you reminded me. Just enough to change gears, I reckon I would have stopped and fallen over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

What a great day yesterday.. Went out with a buddy and we plodded along.. Food stops and marshal's were great, very well organised!

Relatively slow compared to others as we came in just shy of 9 hours for the 200! I was in a world of hurt from 160-180.. Could barely move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

What a fantastic day. My first w200. I also want to thank the organisers and marshalls for their excellent work and support. Feeling sore today but delighted I completed my first 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Hats off to all involved in this... my first cycling only event & I did the 100. did it with my father in law who loved it too. Great climbs & descents. I thought the organisation, marshaling & food were great. Super weather & atmosphere. Meet some great people on the way around. 200 next year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

Did I tell you to take your rubbish home with you per chance, when you were sucking on a gel? :D You were in a boards.ie top? I mentioned the top to you earlier in the spin :) I think it might have been you! I didn't mean any offence! Litter was really p1ssing me off.
    ds of people, I'd chat to a sheep on the side of the road tbh :

could have been me hadthe long sleeved boards kit and the boards bib shorts two people actually said they like the long sleeved defender jersey :)was minding a mate of mine his first big day out so could only go in spurts then slow down or stop to wait for him to make sure he's ok, loads of motivation and distraction got him going :D , got shouted at boardsie so many time's...... bcmf gave the loudest one of em all '' well done boardsie keep it going '':D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

I'd like to know what sadistic mentalist decided to put the food stop in Rathdrum on top of that steep hill?

Just when you think you're getting read for a few mins of down time BAMMMMM!!! lets throw in a wee hill for the craic

I guess that's the Wicklow Way!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... until this absolute train came over me and they were hammering it. Jumped on and I don't think my garmin read less than 40kph (save for the horrible drags) all the way home. We motored. There was a girl at the front of it, no idea who she was but jesus she was a train. Just kept pulling and we blew past group after group. It was like a proper race train. Brilliant....
    She was in command of that express train as it passed me around Newcastle I think. Fresh as a daisy and carrying on a conversation as she passed at 40km/h. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

What's the story with people wearing headphones?
    Apart from being extremely dangerous riding in groups, sad that they couldn't chat to one of the 2500 that entered. Stay home on the turbo next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Great Day all in all. The weather, food and marshalling was brilliant.

Thanks to Wishbone Ash who gave me the training spin route last week, really helped. I finished it in 8hrs 5mins ride time and although slightly disappointed that I didn't break 8hrs, I just had nothing in the legs when the trains were passing me with 20kms to go I just couldn't hang on to them.

Some great craic though. Just turning at BCMF's hill after I managed to get into the small ring in time, one of the lads didn't and his anguished shout of "Ah for ****s sake, Are there no ****ing flat roads in Wicklow at all ?" brought great laughter as we turned to see him almost fall off his bike.

The train along the N81 (I think that was the road) was brilliant. Myself and my mate caught it early and we were about 6th in line. I was in the An Post gear. We trundled along and my mate asked me was there many behind. I turned and looked and about another 70 people had joined. It was brilliant snaking around all the corners in such a big group.

Finally, I was talking to my mate as he started to take a gel, He finished the gel and proceeded to launch the wrapper into ther nearest bush. Stunned, I turned to him and said "Where the **** do you think you are, the Tour De France ? Do you think someone is going to run over and collect it ? Don't do that again" Scalded he turned to me and just "Sorry". That was the last wrapper he threw yesterday and I would say any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Great Day all in all. The weather, food and marshalling was brilliant.

Thanks to Wishbone Ash who gave me the training spin route last week, really helped. I finished it in 8hrs 5mins ride time and although slightly disappointed that I didn't break 8hrs, I just had nothing in the legs when the trains were passing me with 20kms to go I just couldn't hang on to them.

Some great craic though. Just turning at BCMF's hill after I managed to get into the small ring in time, one of the lads didn't and his anguished shout of "Ah for ****s sake, Are there no ****ing flat roads in Wicklow at all ?" brought great laughter as we turned to see him almost fall off his bike.

The train along the N81 (I think that was the road) was brilliant. Myself and my mate caught it early and we were about 6th in line. I was in the An Post gear. We trundled along and my mate asked me was there many behind. I turned and looked and about another 70 people had joined. It was brilliant snaking around all the corners in such a big group.

Finally, I was talking to my mate as he started to take a gel, He finished the gel and proceeded to launch the wrapper into ther nearest bush. Stunned, I turned to him and said "Where the **** do you think you are, the Tour De France ? Do you think someone is going to run over and collect it ? Don't do that again" Scalded he turned to me and just "Sorry". That was the last wrapper he threw yesterday and I would say any day.

Fair play to you for saying something! I was in a race yesterday and a guy did the same. I tapped him on the shoulder and told him I was reporting him to the race official! Really pisses me off when I see people littering the country! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 opentux

Good groups very hard to come by from the mountains until after Redcross. I'd given up hope of a group again as I was passing tired broken lone riders one after another until this absolute train came over me and they were hammering it. Jumped on and I don't think my garmin read less than 40kph (save for the horrible drags) all the way home. We motored. There was a girl at the front of it, no idea who she was but jesus she was a train. Just kept pulling and we blew past group after group. It was like a proper race train. Brilliant.

That girl would be Ciara Kinch. She's super strong. I was in that train and couldn't match her on the climbs. Ciara peeled off to wait for friends with 15k to go and the pace went up again.
    [www].strava.com/activities/320412659/overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I love this kinda stuff, its what makes it for me! You are saying this kinda stuff to yourself and thinking you are the only one saying it and suffering, and then you realise the vast majority of us are in the same boat, fairly average people pushing ourselves really hard to achieve something.
    T'is why we do it I think.
    And boy is Wicklow not short of hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Long shot here - I see that there are a few posters who were marshalling (thanks, by the way for keeping us safe out there).

I lost a rainjacket somewhere before Shay Elliot and was wondering if there is anyone I could contact on the off chance that someone turned it in.

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

If anyone was short a KM or so you might have taken a right at this point?

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.902115,-6.490426,3a,75y,56.01h,80.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqNGICE7dzV4Sx980qF2drw!2e0?hl=en

It was actually straight ahead with a sharp right at the end but there was an old W200 on the road (from last year, or so I was told)

I was having a pit stop there with my buddy and we stopped a few people taking that turn.

While there a boke in an old LWB Jeep passed us by ranting about road tax etc :D He was upset but not aggressive, if that makes sense. My mate remarked that by the time he got to Knockananna he'd be hoarse with the amount of cyclist he'd have to ranting too :)

Now that I have some blood back in my brain. Special thanks to Seamus, the next Marshal after bcmf's Hill Corner of Death at the turn before that lovely 4km descent.

I took a little pit stop there and he was thoroughly sound, him with his knitting and all! I told him what nearly happened to me at that corner and he'd never seen electric gearing before. I gave him a go and he was fascinated. Really nice chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

If anyone was short a KM or so you might have taken a right at this point?

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.902115,-6.490426,3a,75y,56.01h,80.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sqNGICE7dzV4Sx980qF2drw!2e0?hl=en

It was actually straight ahead with a sharp right at the end but there was an old W200 on the road (from last year, or so I was told)

I was having a pit stop there with my buddy and we stopped a few people taking that turn.

While there a boke in an old LWB Jeep passed us by ranting about road tax etc :D He was upset but not aggressive, if that makes sense. My mate remarked that by the time he got to Knockananna he'd be hoarse with the amount of cyclist he'd have to ranting too :)

Now that I have some blood back in my brain. Special thanks to Seamus, the next Marshal after bcmf's Hill Corner of Death at the turn before that lovely 4km descent.

I took a little pit stop there and he was thoroughly sound, him with his knitting and all! I told him what nearly happened to me at that corner and he'd never seen electric gearing before. I gave him a go and he was fascinated. Really nice chap.

I lost 3k ish at the start of the Gap, but because my never failed once before cateye stopped working!
    Was heartbroken over it, meant I had to start doing some maths with the climb markers I had on my top tube, not good after 6 hours in the saddle when body and mind are starting to wain!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Firstly, hats off to the IVCA and all the volunteers, really well run event. In fact the best I've ever been on (well it was my first!). I had prepared myself to avoid the Baltinglass stop and just get some water after reading of the delays that can be there but it was perfect along with the rest of the organisation.

I arrived at about 6.10 and the carpark was already full, hoped to start with Unknown Soldier but I got registered about 6.40 and with so many people around I just decided to get on the road and hopefully see him during the day.

Only got into 2 or 3 big groups during the day but I've never ridden in a group before so was happy enough with that and to sit at the back when I did as it was probably safer for all concerned. Found them really mentally tiring, constantly watching those in front of you and trying to keep an even gap. Don't know how ye do it, with all the shouts and pointing at obstacles whilst fantastic it'd just drain me.

It was very cold at the top of the Gap and on the descents during the day but really can't have asked for better weather.

From reading threads from previous years I knew that the15k or so Avoca/Redcross section would be tough and about half way up I thought, is this it!! my legs then went and I started feeling really tired. It was only just before that tight left and short steep climb that I felt ok again. As I approached it all I heard was a shout of slow, car. I was just focused on avoiding the car as I turned and never heard the calls about gearing or hill. I cursed a lot and mashed many levers trying to get as low as fast as I could and just managed it.

Rode the last 25k pretty much solo, I was with 3 other guys pretty much for the whole Redcross section but at that stage I reckoned I'm nearly home and I can suffer for that long so put the foot down. Small group from over the hill cc came through, who'd pissed me off earlier in the day, as I neared Kilcoole so jumped on with them for the last 5km or so which I thought balanced things out.

All in 9.20, with 8.22 rolling. A lot faster then I'd planned on, think the extra water and food I took on board during the day was the difference. Also the fantastic weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I enjoyed it, I fell apart on Sleive Mann.

Thanks to the Marshals, especially the guy who was saying "Steep hill around the corner put it in an easy gear." and the other guy saying "4km Descent now lads".

The Chicken & Stuffing Sandwich was fantastic.

The only bit I didn't like was after the descent of the Shay Elliott, the road surface was really bad. I wasn't wearing gloves and I got some serious hand and finger chaffing there as the handle bars vibrated everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

yop wrote: »
    Great day and the sunburn to prove it! :DWent around with brother in law and my mate, his mate went on the beer on Saturday so suffered no end!! Meet a few boardsies (I was in the jersey with the green writing) and a few names mentioned but for the life of me I can't remember them!!!
    Scenery was fantastic and the marshals and foodstops and people at the reg and finish were extremely friendly and helpful and all had a smile on their face.
    Next year I will sign up for the 200, I'm still 2nd on "Cresen hlll" or something, thats what happens when someone shouts "race" at the foot of it! :D
    And that mental decent... class, clicked up my max 71kmph speed that, some crack! :D

Well done to all, especially the 200 lads/gals, savage achievement

I met you briefly after the short sharp climb around ballinacor and you told me about them. Had to laugh when I asked were they still with you, "ah no, sure they're back there somewhere."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

yop wrote: »
    Great day and the sunburn to prove it! :D Went around with brother in law and my mate, his mate went on the beer on Saturday so suffered no end!! Meet a few boardsies (I was in the jersey with the green writing) and a few names mentioned but for the life of me I can't remember them!!!
    Scenery was fantastic and the marshals and foodstops and people at the reg and finish were extremely friendly and helpful and all had a smile on their face.
    Next year I will sign up for the 200, I'm still 2nd on "Cresen hlll" or something, thats what happens when someone shouts "race" at the foot of it! :D
    And that mental decent... class, clicked up my max 71kmph speed that, some crack! :D

Well done to all, especially the 200 lads/gals, savage achievement

Loved that decent, hit 69kph on it which is the fastest I've ever done on a bike!

Great day out, my first ever cycling event and managed to finish the 100 in fairly ok shape! Found the 20km's after Avoca pretty tough, some nasty little climbs especially that one where the guy from here was shouting to get off the big ring, just about managed it in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think it should be renamed "BMCF hill" officially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Many did.....
    Me: SMALL RING
    Them: WHAT?
    Me: Too late
    Them:Aw Foooooook

Fair play , I got your warning just in time, I'd say all you heard all day was chains and gears shifting like 90

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Many did.....
    Me: SMALL RING
    Them: WHAT?
    Me: Too late
    Them:Aw Foooooook

I knew it was coming and dropped into the small ring, heard your shout, tried to go into an easier gear on the cassette, panicked and hit the wrong lever and instead I went into a harder gear.... so if you heard a " AAHH BALDRICKS (or words to that effect), Wrong f'ing Way" as I mashed up there crisscrossing the road... t'was me pleased to meet you... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Fair play , I got your warning just in time, I'd say all you heard all day was chains and gears shifting like 90

Absolute carnage when I went around it! Nobody got into the small gear on time and there was a 'coming together' of about 10 people. No crashes and all good banter and funny! Tough to get going once you were on that hill.

Long shot here - I see that there are a few posters who were marshalling (thanks, by the way for keeping us safe out there).

I lost a rainjacket somewhere before Shay Elliot and was wondering if there is anyone I could contact on the off chance that someone turned it in.
    There was a rain jacket lying on the ground at the water stop on the summit of Shay Elliott - just where I said hi to you for the second time. There was also a rain jacket on the ground beside the bike racks at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Great day out, very friendly guys all round.

If you seen the guy sending clouds of vapor out through the day , that was me!

MugMugs wrote: »
    If you didn't see us you probably heard us from cuchulainn....
    Possibly it was yourself in the CCC gear I was talking to a few km before Slieve Mann? I had no idea of the route and spotted that you had a list on your bars (you were operating in miles so I had to do the conversions!). We also discussed the Tour of Louth last week and you asked me what was the story with the Boards.ie jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

opentux wrote: »

Well holy foook.. :eek:

I think UCI should be checking your bike for a motor. Savage stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Alek wrote:
    I think it should be renamed "BMCF hill" officially.

A hill named after me.....Oh such irony.

A hill named after me.....Oh such irony.
    Were you marshalling at two different places yesterday? I only recall seeing you down south.

There was a marshal warning people to get into the small ring at that corner before that surprise 18 percenter at around the 170k mark but it wasn't you. Just wondering are people confusing the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I got intrigued - which hill is it exactly ? :D

Advertisement