Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

My first time doing the W200 yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fair play to all the volunteers & marshals you all did a fantastic job! Didn't mind Slieve Mann or Shay Elliot, it was the drag out of Avoca that hurt me the most, that and the last 20k or so. Like many others had to chuckle at the fella in the KOM jersey walking up Slieve Mann....what was he thinking when he got dressed in the morning :):). As far as comparing it with the SKT, I found the W200 tougher, that extra bit of distance makes all the difference. Anyway, a fantastic day in the saddle and another one crossed off the list.

diomed wrote: »
    B******. I am 64 and claiming I am too old.
    I took images of almost all the participants. I'll see if I can spot him (any clues as to kit worn or bike?).

I did see a pretty old looking fella in Bray Wheeler's gear, not sure whether this is the same man, kudos to him anyhow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

guym wrote: »
    I did see a pretty old looking fella in Bray Wheeler's gear, not sure whether this is the same man, kudos to him anyhow!!

That's him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I'll see if I can spot him (any clues as to kit worn or bike?)

Bray Wheelers. Not sure about the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lads, there are men in there late 70's actively racing so I don't think 84 is particularly old for a sportive.

(The toughest training ride I ever did was with a group of veterans - 2 of whom were in their 70's. I don't race and was invited to join them when no one else turned up for the club spin. Had my legs ripped off!).

• Advertisement

Lads, there are men in there late 70's actively racing so I don't think 84 is particularly old for a sportive.

(The toughest training ride I ever did was with a group of veterans - 2 of whom were in their 70's. I don't race and was invited to join them when no one else turned up for the club spin. Had my legs ripped off!).

I'll be happy if I'm still alive when I'm 84, let alone doing the W200...:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

You are an octopus, you only had two legs ripped off.

That was one of the best things I've ever done. Next year I will be in better shape. Thanks to the guy at that turn with the nasty up ramp, saved my bacon.

Dont know what all the fuss was about the climbs, it made me so nervous that I wouldn't make it up all of them, I was elated going over the top at the first climb. Stayed on the drops all the way down, index finger feathering the brakes. My eyes watered up and my hands cramped up. On the next descent I relaxed my elbows, wrists and grip on the bars, really enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Maybe it is but they've put todays date on it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Found the first part hard, lots of nervous energy, wasn't feeling great, had the trots. Kind of just wanted to get onto Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott and get them over with, had never done more than 120 and was just worried about them with so many miles in the legs. Ended up being fine, and bombed it from the last food stop in a large group. Ended up doing it in 7 and a half hours, 26.5 average speed. Most importantly I really enjoyed it, great day, great comraderie and support all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Lads, there are men in there late 70's actively racing and handing the whippersnapper 40somethings arses to them every Sunday ,so I don't think 84 is particularly old for a sportive.

True that...

Puggy wrote: »
    That was one of the best things I've ever done. Next year I will be in better shape. Thanks to the guy at that turn with the nasty up ramp, saved my bacon.

Dont know what all the fuss was about the climbs, it made me so nervous that I wouldn't make it up all of them, I was elated going over the top at the first climb. Stayed on the drops all the way down, index finger feathering the brakes. My eyes watered up and my hands cramped up. On the next descent I relaxed my elbows, wrists and grip on the bars, really enjoyed that.
    Bet you're glad now you didn't do the 100! ;)

(Didn't spot you at all - don't know whether you were ahead or me or behind me).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Serious question. Do groups down south not call out holes, cars etc? Any of the groups I jumped into it was only the ones from the north calling the hazards!

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Serious question. Do groups down south not call out holes, cars etc? Any of the groups I jumped into it was only the ones from the north calling the hazards!
    Many of those taking part wouldn't be club members and would only ride in a group at events such as this. Those travelling such as yourself would generally be travelling as a group or would be club members if travelling solo. I'm sure if you did a sportive in NI, there would be a lot not calling holes/cars either.

In saying that, I did notice that the NI clubs were particularly disciplined (and do yous never get tired of talking? Mother of Jesus, it was non stop at times! :D).

Jim Stynes wrote: »

We do it as gaeilge... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

Great day all in all! the sparse cheerers at the side of the road were a welcome sight those few claps and words of encouragement were really appreciated.....except by this one special fella i saw....... after going down from slieve mann going up the next climb there was a group of people cheering " shouting, well done and such" here he comes and tells them cheerers "feck off"feck the lots of you's" crowd just goes into shocked silence... turns around to me as well and says feck them and off he goes up the climb... After seeing and hearing that thought immediately bout scrooge in those movies/ stories ....bah humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Reading this thread is making me green with envy; sounded like a great day. Well done to all. I'm determined to join you next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

guym wrote: »
    My first time doing the W200 yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fair play to all the volunteers & marshals you all did a fantastic job! Didn't mind Slieve Mann or Shay Elliot, it was the drag out of Avoca that hurt me the most, that and the last 20k or so. Like many others had to chuckle at the fella in the KOM jersey walking up Slieve Mann....what was he thinking when he got dressed in the morning :):). As far as comparing it with the SKT, I found the W200 tougher, that extra bit of distance makes all the difference. Anyway, a fantastic day in the saddle and another one crossed off the list.

Probably hadn't a clue, at least I hope he didn't!

• Advertisement

Bet you're glad now you didn't do the 100! ;)

(Didn't spot you at all - don't know whether you were ahead or me or behind me).

Yes the 100 would have been a waste, thanks for the push.

Was all set to go at 7, but had a sun cream malfunction, so headed back to the car with my 2 amigos. We then cycled almost into Bray till we discovered our error. Got going eventually. The hills were tough but fine. Need some more practice with the descents.

I had a flask of porridge and a flask of coffee for you, but in the excitement I forgot to post on FB or send you a message. So I ate the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

bbolger wrote: »
    Super day out today, cracking weather and the marshalling and food stops were great.

Did the 200, 7hrs rolling time, chuffed with that.

Headwind up Wicklow Gap but hung on with a fast group from Rathmines/Thinkbike. Some guy shouted "Jaysus lads where's the fire!?" as we hammered along :-)

I know I know it's not a race...

Spent the last 80-90km doing up & overs with a guy from Fingal Tri, suffering in tandem.

Got to Greystones leisure centre and the Garmin read 197km as I stupidly forgot to restart it on the Shay descent. Had to spin down to the village and back to get to the 200km mark - so technically I finished twice to the applauding crowd at the end :-)

Think I may have been in the same group as you on the way up the Gap, I remember hearing someone shout about the fire anyway! I was in my SK Tour of Waterford jersey on a red Specialized. Jumped on the tail of a high speed train before Roundwood and took a free ride all the way up to Turlough Hill with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

Anybody else covered in mozzie type bites since the WW200?

I'm itching like a mofo for the last few days - it's either insect bites or hives from all the sh1te I ate on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

fillup wrote: »

I'm itching like a mofo for the last few days - it's either insect bites or hives from all the sh1te I ate on the day

I sit here scratching too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

I sit here scratching too....

As do I......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Same. Would say it's an insect bite. Got only the one right on the shorts line...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

The Wickla midges must love my blood.

I'm covered in the fupping things!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

terrydel wrote: »
    Probably hadn't a clue, at least I hope he didn't!

It was a lovely Euskaltel Sammy Sanchez one as well.
    I noticed him stopped with "mechanicals" at Kilmacanogue and Laragh, fair play to him for keeping going.

As you say, fair play to him for getting going. You never know, maybe he has a really good sense of humour, and it was worn in irony. Maybe something similar to the motorbike for sale in the driveway on the bottom of Slieve Mann - I wondered at the time was someone having a laugh with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

fillup wrote: »

You just weren't going fast enough to let the mozzies catch you like that !!!;)

Advertisement