Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Nora Owen gets on my tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Im failing to see the point of the business breakfast show at 630. Between news and ads the show must only be on air for 20 minutes and is totally uninformative. Probably only 1 decent contributor is the markets analyst (cant remember her name) from some firm in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

neris wrote: »
    Im failing to see the point of the business breakfast show at 630. Between news and ads the show must only be on air for 20 minutes and is totally uninformative. Probably only 1 decent contributor is the markets analyst (cant remember her name) from some firm in the uk.

I timed it one day, just over 17 minutes in total on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

I timed it one day, just over 17 minutes in total on air.

Forgot aswell theres the an ad break at the end of the business show and all the host then does after say "chris and ivan are up next" and its back to the breaks. Total waste of airspace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I see they are feeding Chris some sport chat assignments recently with guests whereas Ivan usually conducts these. We all know Chris doesn't care much about sport so wonder is this just tactical to get experience doing it while Ivan is still there?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

califano wrote: »
    I see they are feeding Chris some sport chat assignments recently with guests whereas Ivan usually conducts these. We all know Chris doesn't care much about sport so wonder is this just tactical to get experience doing it while Ivan is still there?.

he interest seems to be growing recently though with attendances at Dubs matches, rugby matches...whether it is due to a genuine interest in the teams or making himself a more well rounded broadcaster I'll leave for listeners to decide....how many points is a try worth again??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭thebiglad

RobertKK wrote: »
    Agree he isn't very good, soft interviews of people he agrees with, like a rottweiler to people he disagrees with.
    Far too PC.

If you want PC try Shane Colemen - when he covers the breakfast show I move the dial - just cannot stand him and the bleeding heart liberalism OTT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Chris is unbearable. Smug smirky attitude, totally biased and not an ounce of professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Red King wrote: »
    Chris is unbearable. Smug smirky attitude, totally biased and not an ounce of professionalism.

You referring to the interview with that Longford FF councillor Seamus Butler this morning?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Was watching the webcam when they had the puppies in studio. I've never seen anyone so uninterested in the adorable little puppy crawling up his chest as Chris appeared to be. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

jooksavage wrote: »
    You referring to the interview with that Longford FF councillor Seamus Butler this morning?

No, just in general. Can't stand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I think Seamus Butler is complete right. It's not legal to discriminate against you because of sex ... Oh, except if you're a man. This is the sort of thing that Newstalk should be coming out against, if they were really about fighting for equal rights for all (as they would purport to), and not just about being politically correct and popular.

I like Chris and Ivan generally, but Chris' pious, populist, self righteousness really makes me want to turn off at times. He is never prepared to indulge the opinions of people who dont subscribe to the Newstalk view of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

I quite like the balance between Chris and Ivan. Makes for good, contrasting views at opposite ends of scale. This interview however bugged me to hell. :mad: I wanted to hear what Seamus Butler had to say, it was far more interesting than some random reporter from head office relaying their version. But no, Chris continued to interrupt and reign in the interview for fear of Connie what-her-names reputation might be in any way blemished or she might not have the opportunity to defend herself. :rolleyes: I don't think Seamus Butler was coming anywhere near defamation territory and Newstalk could always invite Connie on after and offer her a right of reply.

You have to laugh at Newstalk. They are not even discrete any more.

The NT reporter described the opinions of the people from Dungarvan, who were skeptical about the arrival of refugees in their town, as being disappointing. Before then labelling them as confused. In future, can ye just play the comments on the voxpops without interpreting the comments for us.

it was also funny to hear Senator Ivana Bacik. When speaking about the 8th amendment she said:

"I'm nearly 50 years old and I've never had the opportunity to vote on it."

I texted in "Well now you should understand how we all feel about you, Senator".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

it was also funny to hear Senator Ivana Bacik. When speaking about the 8th amendment she said:

"I'm nearly 50 years old and I've never had the opportunity to vote on it."

I texted in "Well now you should understand how we all feel about you, Senator".
    We did in the last GE, despite being parachuted into an open goal seat, she still managed to cock it up.

Bacik has always struck me as someone who unashamedly portrays herself as superior to the electorate, not a good vibe to be giving off in Irish politics...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You have to laugh at Newstalk. They are not even discrete any more.

The NT reporter described the opinions of the people from Dungarvan, who were skeptical about the arrival of refugees in their town, as being disappointing. Before then labelling them as confused. In future, can ye just play the comments on the voxpops without interpreting the comments for us.

I'd need to relisten to it, but I'm pretty sure she was saying it was disappointing that government representatives hadn't come forward to allay the fears expressed in the voxpop, that is "It's disappointing that they still believe some of this stuff and it hasn't been cleared up for them."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Elocution lessons for newsreader Michele McMullen, please.

'Choppelizod?'

'Motches?'

'Twolve?'

Please stop this gratuitous butchering of pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

McDave wrote: »

'Choppelizod?'

'Motches?'

'Twolve?'

Please stop this gratuitous butchering of pronunciation.

What do you expect from the Denis O'Brien stable of broadcasting where the likes of Matt Cooper have being butchering the English language for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I used to always listen to this show, but now, once ive heard the headlines, either there or Radio 1 im easy . i couldnt handle Nora Casey , so i thought when Yates came on board it would be brilliant. however, he has just fallen in with the usual PC views that populate the media . These people dont talk for ordinary eople, these preach to them. They know whats best for us . Why cant they understand, most people want strong law and order, sensible spending of OUR tax money , help for those who ned it, as opposed to those who shout for it , and of course worst of all, we can deal with small numbers of foreigners who integrate with us, and live by our general views and values . Most people do not want large group of people coming here who seem determined to bring their own culture with them . Dont mean to go on a rant, buit im so fed up with the almost complete whitewash by the media. the only voice of reason seesm to be Hookie. I know he isnt everyones cup of tea, but in the course of my work i deal with many people each day, and he seems to express views that a lot of people have become afraid to openly voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

I used to always listen to this show, but now, once ive heard the headlines, either there or Radio 1 im easy . i couldnt handle Nora Casey , so i thought when Yates came on board it would be brilliant. however, he has just fallen in with the usual PC views that populate the media . These people dont talk for ordinary eople, these preach to them. They know whats best for us . Why cant they understand, most people want strong law and order, sensible spending of OUR tax money , help for those who ned it, as opposed to those who shout for it , and of course worst of all, we can deal with small numbers of foreigners who integrate with us, and live by our general views and values . Most people do not want large group of people coming here who seem determined to bring their own culture with them . Dont mean to go on a rant, buit im so fed up with the almost complete whitewash by the media. the only voice of reason seesm to be Hookie. I know he isnt everyones cup of tea, but in the course of my work i deal with many people each day, and he seems to express views that a lot of people have become afraid to openly voice

Well said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

McDave wrote: »

Wonder is she anything to Moichael, if so the girl can't help it I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Wonder is she anything to Moichael, if so the girl can't help it I'm afraid...

Gotta be.

Blame the porents.

What exactly does this prove, Chris can't hold his drink? Doesnt really work on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

What exactly does this prove, Chris can't hold his drink? Doesnt really work on the radio.

Exactly. Doesn't tell us how competent a driver he is to begin with either. Don't get me wrong, I understand the point of this exercise. I just don't like the pontificating that goes along with it from all sides. You could tell Ivan really wanted to argue the point but was probably reeled in a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

they could not have sent in a worse candidate, you could've given him two pints of water and it would've thrown out the same results. you can be sure he did as much as possible to manipulate poorer reaction times. they should've had Ivan do it, at least you would've known the results would be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

was very funny this morning when Ivan said it was his anniversary on Monday, 30th, pearl anniversary.
    Chris asked him if he was getting some pearl earrings or a pearl necklace for his wife, then kinda sniggered. Ivan never noticed it.

childish, but sometimes things like that just have to be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

was very funny this morning when Ivan said it was his anniversary on Monday, 30th, pearl anniversary.
    Chris asked him if he was getting some pearl earrings or a pearl necklace for his wife, then kinda sniggered. Ivan never noticed it.

childish, but sometimes things like that just have to be laughed at.

I'd never heard that bit of slang until I googled it just there...

God, Chris is more street than me!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Ivan's show on tv3 is on new. Going round pubs, drinking & interviewing people, how does he get these gigs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ivan's show on tv3 is on new. Going round pubs, drinking & interviewing people, how does he get these gigs?

I enjoyed it :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement