Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well he is in a strong negotiating position. Take away Ivan , PK and Hook and you wouldn't have much of a station. And of the three, one is retiring next year, another is of pensionable age, and the third is, eh, something of a 'mercurial' character...

Read the Phoenix piece I assume Ballsymchugh was referring to, seems like this was truer than I knew. Seemingly Yates is so fed up with the silly a.m. starts he threatened to quit if DOB didn't put him on NT's top dollar. He's supposed to be lined up to take over drivetime when Hook quits, but of course that leaves a big void in the mornings. Put that together with PK only getting half SOR's listeners, you've got a station with big question marks hanging over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Looking forward to Ivan taking over Hooks slot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Looking forward to Ivan taking over Hooks slot

Can't see it happening, he's a morning bird and enjoys his afternoons going racing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

does anyone know how people in radio are paid here?

back when jonathan ross was in trouble with the BBC, most of the complaints were based around the fact that he got a few million for his weekly tv and radio show, but that money was to his production company, from which he had to pay all the associated staff etc.

is anything like that done here? i know a lot of the radio presenters are contractors and not employees, but is it similar to the above, or does the station pay the research staff etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can't see it happening, he's a morning bird and enjoys his afternoons going racing etc.

He has consistently said he doesn't like the 4 a.m. starts NT Breakfast requires. I hadn't previously heard he was lined up to take over The Right Hook but it stacks up. Only thing, The Phoenix was skeptical about whether Hook is actually quitting but I don't know of there's anything to that...

• Advertisement

He has consistently said he doesn't like the 4 a.m. starts NT Breakfast requires. I hadn't previously heard he was lined up to take over The Right Hook but it stacks up. Only thing, The Phoenix was skeptical about whether Hook is actually quitting but I don't know of there's anything to that...

And on the other hand he goes on about having afternoons free to go racing etc.............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

bobby kerr in on the business show again this morning. he didnt sound too impressed by the guy with the boring voice that had been sent in to give the markets news and outlook. dont think ive ever heard bobby cut anyone off so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah thats just where he decided to do that peice too close to the end of the show.

todays the first time that theyve came back from the last ad break and actually had more to say than "bye"

on a normal day the goodbody lad wouldve been finished before it.

TBH im glad it worked out that way today. it annoys me no end to be stuck listening to an ad break that essentially just leads into chris and ivan/shane/ whomever taking over.

its almost joe duffly levels of "coasting"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

that combination really didn't work this morning:D

that combination really didn't work this morning:D

Eh no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Why? What happened?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'll admit I was only half listening as I went about my morning, but I thought they worked very well together for a combination that I'm pretty sure haven't worked together before...

ive been listening all week and its seems grand to me.

colletes well able for ivans jibes and can give as good as she gets.

she's still as rampantly "right on" as everyone else at newstalk but i dont see a prob on the chemistry front. takes me back to the claire byrnes days TBH (With out the rampant feminuttery (so far ! ) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭secondattempt

This morning on the subject of the tender for prison underwear.

Chris: this works out at X amount of money per prisoner per underpants...

Ivan: You wear the same pair everyday!

Chris: I do not

Ivan: it'll be a September to remember for you with your one pair of jocks.

---

What utter stupid nonsense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If "If you remember that physical game called LEGO..." isn't in Quotes of the Week this week, I shall be incredibly disappointed. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Flicked over for the movie reviews, plus Anton Savage was talking about multiple murders, but Norah Owen is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Flicked over for the movie reviews, plus Anton Savage was talking about multiple murders, but Norah Owen is very poor.

Shes a terrible presenter, she'd be better off on a more serious political program

Chris has resigned as anchor from the evening news, getting another show instead. Can't blame him really, those hours he was doing aren't healthy and will get the better of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 rain_soaked

shockwave wrote: »
    Shes a terrible presenter, she'd be better off on a more serious political program

she is awful no matter where you put her , incredibly dull person full stop , cannot fathom why she is trotted out so often

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Chris has resigned as anchor from the evening news, getting another show instead. Can't blame him really, those hours he was doing aren't healthy and will get the better of you.

Its really because nobody was watching the news though. Its not as if he didnt compute the hours before he started. Id rather he gave up radio and kept the tv as hes so annoying to listen to. I bet in school he was always first up with the hand ''Teacher..teacher''

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Did Ivan use the "N" word this morning ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

califano wrote: »
    Its really because nobody was watching the news though. Its not as if he didnt compute the hours before he started. Id rather he gave up radio and kept the tv as hes so annoying to listen to. I bet in school he was always first up with the hand ''Teacher..teacher''

yeah he's just so wholesome, gives me the pip

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Did Ivan use the "N" word this morning ???

Thought I heard that too. But I'm certain he was just stumbled over "Niggledy" or something. Not a major deal really. Did make me smile though.

Its really because nobody was watching the news though. Its not as if he didnt compute the hours before he started. Id rather he gave up radio and kept the tv as hes so annoying to listen to.

He hasn't given up the TV though. Nothing wrong with him on radio.

And it's all well and good looking at the hours before you start something, it's completely difference once you're in the midst of it all.

Wholesome exactly. And a kind of a smart alec too clever for life vibe off him without even realizing it. And useless at improv craic when he tries to match Ivan in those stakes.

And it's all well and good looking at the hours before you start something, it's completely different once you're in the midst of it all.

That's very true i would take that back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Thought I heard that too. But I'm certain he was just stumbled over "Niggledy" or something. Not a major deal really. Did make me smile though.

he said the government were being "niggardly" in relation to the new bank holiday suggestion...

adjective; ungenerous with money, time, in a mean or meagre manner

never heard the word myself before this morning, looked it up straight away after hearing it. apparently this and the other word that springs to mind are totally unrelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I cant stand Chris. His treatment of anyone that is anti something is disgusting. He will attack opposition TD's and then have a love in with government ones. His holier than thou attitude is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Floppybits wrote: »
    I cant stand Chris. His treatment of anyone that is anti something is disgusting. He will attack opposition TD's and then have a love in with government ones. His holier than thou attitude is sickening.

Agree he isn't very good, soft interviews of people he agrees with, like a rottweiler to people he disagrees with.
    Far too PC.

• Advertisement

Well less rottweiler, more like being savaged by a bichon frise.

:)

TBH he's not the only one at that, even the more "elder statemen" types in RTE have been getting ratty at people they see as "beyond the pale" i.e those they thought they'd never have to deal with in a million years.

audrey carvilles treatment of the greek finance minister for instance, and more recently the Hungarian ambassador (IIRC, he couldve just been some gov minister from there) when they decided they didnt like people invading their country. you'd swear he personally shat in her tea. (that may not be aurdry in fairness ! mightve been wilson or lawlor)

and keelin shanly with pretty much anyone that isnt upper class.

there's a fierce stink of unprofessionalism coming to the surface in our media heads. personally i think its cause theyre worried someones gonna get into power that's gonna actually tax em properly for a change.

:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement