Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Norah Owens standing in for Ivan this morning....dear god.

I understand that there *may* be a slight FG bias in DOB's media monopoly, but could he not find anybody else from FG to stand in?????

He's other mouthpiece Enda Kenny is on holidays in Malta at the moment, so he wasn't available!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Enda's in Malta to flee DoB just in case DoB sues him for criticising DoB suing the Oireachtas...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hmmm the former minister for justice asking why someone can't be extradited to face trial for murder, maybe its because the authorities know who were involved but haven't enough evidence to charge them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Norah Owens standing in for Ivan this morning....dear god.

I understand that there *may* be a slight FG bias in DOB's media monopoly, but could he not find anybody else from FG to stand in?????

ya'd think they'd be using collete fitzpatrick now she's got her own slot on sunday.

i mean if shane coleman can do three programs at a time she can do two !

:D

but yeah that was WOEFULL stuff today, takes alot to make chris seem professional but nora managed it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

According to Nora Owen, North Korea's plan to move to their own timezone is terrible because they'll have "print all the school timetables and everything again!".

Um... no? They'll all just move their watches back half an hour?

I tried to give her a chance, but she doesn't yet have a decent enough filter between brain and mouth for a show like this IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    According to Nora Owen, North Korea's plan to move to their own timezone is terrible because they'll have "print all the school timetables and everything again!".

Um... no? They'll all just move their watches back half an hour?

I tried to give her a chance, but she doesn't yet have a decent enough filter between brain and mouth for a show like this IMO.

I agree, she was a bit toothless in the interviews also. At least we wont have to listen to "oh I'm getting used to the early mornings now" at 7am or will we? when is Ivan back?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I agree, she was a bit toothless in the interviews also. At least we wont have to listen to "oh I'm getting used to the early mornings now" at 7am or will we? when is Ivan back?

The only positive is that they're not afraid to give new presenters a chance.Unlike other stuck in the mud stations.

Hope it's not a female quota thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Michael Healy Rae is a nutjob. A nutjob!! The guy opposing him did himself no favours though wishing that goats could speak.

Talking about the goat at the Puck Fair. I'd be of the opinion that the goat part is wrong.

Xaracatz wrote: »
    Michael Healy Rae is a nutjob. A nutjob!! The guy opposing him did himself no favours though wishing that goats could speak.

Talking about the goat at the Puck Fair. I'd be of the opinion that the goat part is wrong.

I'd be of the opinion that talking about Puck Fair is as tiresome as talking about the alcohol ban on Good Friday or the Rose of Tralee. In that it's the same f*cking arguments revolving in a carousel every 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They're in clout cuckoo land if they think they're ever going to ditch the goat part...besides Puck Fair is hardly Bullfighting/Cockfighting class brutality.

• Advertisement

They're in clout cuckoo land if they think they're ever going to ditch the goat part...besides Puck Fair is hardly Bullfighting/Cockfighting class brutality.

"Why should we draw distinctions? Cruelty is cruelty!"
    "But the animal is well looked after and fed well!"
    "But it's kept in captivity!"
    "It's tradition!"
    "So was slavery!"
    "Local economy!"
    "Cruelty!"

Repeat ad nauseam until we're all dead.

I don't understand politics. Why would it have been so bad if Leo Veradkar had just said this morning:

"Yeah, I'd like to lead FG one day. At the moment I'm more than happy with the Health brief, and I think Enda is doing a super job, but all leaders retire eventually and when that day comes I'd definitely consider throwing my hat in the ring."

Like, why be so cagey and elusive? Doesn't really make sense to me at all.

"It's tradition!"
    "So was slavery!"
    "Local economy!"
    "Cruelty!"

I don't understand politics. Why would it have been so bad if Leo Veradkar had just said this morning:

"Yeah, I'd like to lead FG one day. At the moment I'm more than happy with the Health brief, and I think Enda is doing a super job, but all leaders retire eventually and when that day comes I'd definitely consider throwing my hat in the ring."

totally agree- show a bit of ambition and don't be afraid to say it!

equally I don't understand how Chris can say he would never want to work for RTE, he has a lot of years left in his career and there aren't that many options if you want to stay in broadcasting in Ireland, particularly the way UTV Ireland is going, maybe just to prove his point to LV. He could end up like Ray "I will never go back to RTE" D'Arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

"It's tradition!"
    "So was slavery!"
    "Local economy!"
    "Cruelty!"

God only knows. He works in the health dept where he's eating s**t on air every week, you'd think he'd be happy to get a straight-forward, question he could give a straight-forward answer to. What did he think was going to happen? Was he afraid he'd make some kind of Thick Of It-esque blunder:

"Enda Kenny is the right man for the moment.... Yes - for the moment... uh, I mean..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

What's with the repeat use of vox pops on Newstalk Breakfast?

Yesterday, a vox pop about tipping in restaurants was used twice in about twenty five minutes in the first hour.

Today the annual "there's more to life than the Leaving Cert" vox pop was used in the first hour and again as part of the 8 am news.

The show's production team must be threadbare when the star, Yeats, is on his holliers.

It has regressed to student radio standards this week with Donoghue and Coleman presenting. They (or the producer) seem to be more concerned with starting a trend on Twitter about some bullsh*t or other than actually giving us any journalsim.

Poor stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Thats some voice noise Nadine Maloney makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

when is Ivan back getting tired of the show at the moment

Shane mentioned he was covering for the next week or so. So unless it was a slip of the tongue and it's actually only until Monday, I'd imagine Ivan's back next Thursday or Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I actually far prefer it without Yates and his bullying of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

gimmick wrote: »
    I actually far prefer it without Yates and his bullying of everyone.

Couldn't disagree more with that.

I like the fact that the show can be serious when it needs to be and still can be lighthearted.

Ivan can be a bit like Hook at times with the shock jock statements to get in the 30 cent text but if people can't see that he stirs the $hit then they are rather slow ( not saying that you are )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Shane Coleman is insufferable at times. Hes foaming at the mouth talking to Paul Murphy here now.

• Advertisement

off all next week too it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Couldn't disagree more with that.

I like the fact that the show can be serious when it needs to be and still can be lighthearted.

Ivan can be a bit like Hook at times with the shock jock statements to get in the 30 cent text but if people can't see that he stirs the $hit then they are rather slow ( not saying that you are )

Oh I realise that, I just dont find it particularly amusing.

Really conflicted during that Paul Murphy interview.

Trying to balance my contempt for Murphy against the obvious agenda of Coleman was rather difficult...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Really conflicted during that Paul Murphy interview.

Trying to balance my contempt for Murphy against the obvious agenda of Coleman was rather difficult...

Shane Coleman assigns no blame to fianna fail for bankrupting the country.

He's brother in law is also ex fianna fail TD Dermot aherne.

I wouldn't be expecting much impartality from him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i cant wait for the trial and when the gards get asked "did ya not notice the tainste being falsely imprisoned for seveal hours beside ya?"

:D:D:D

newstalks been a right laugh on this. theyve been utterly terrified of the water protesters since day one and it does their heads in its the biggest movement in the country now.

i suppose thats what ya get when every single memeber of your profession is fully behind IW. Ive yet to see one not preface their comments with "im in favor of charging"

still it makes for some glorious comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

according to the phoenix, yates is now the 2nd highest paid broadcaster in the country after tubridy. ahead of pat kenny.
    serious wedge for some fella that quotes the racing post more than anything in his show.

according to the phoenix, yates is now the 2nd highest paid broadcaster in the country after tubridy. ahead of pat kenny.
    serious wedge for some fella that quotes the racing post more than anything in his show.

where is D'arcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well he is in a strong negotiating position. Take away Ivan , PK and Hook and you wouldn't have much of a station. And of the three, one is retiring next year, another is of pensionable age, and the third is, eh, something of a 'mercurial' character...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I was wondering why Pat was in such bad form doing his preview on the Breakfast Show this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Shane Coleman is insufferable at times. Hes foaming at the mouth talking to Paul Murphy here now.

??.................more like all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement