Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why does Oliver Callan's Michael D Higgins do that f*ckin squeak noise all the time?

I think it's hilarious. He has him to a tee. The pomposity while wittering on about the vulnerable.
    The squeak is a little dog yelping which fits his character

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Callan is a poor man's Mario Rosenstock tbh.

Some of Callan's material is good, but his impressions for the most part a woeful IMO. Michael D is the prime example.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ivan is such a wind-up merchant when it comes to Trump it's ridiculous. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ivan is such a wind-up merchant, full stop. It can be funny when it comes to some sort of controversial topic and he takes a certain view point, twitter, texts and threads like this explode in indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ivan is such a wind-up merchant when it comes to Trump it's ridiculous. :pac:

Back in the 1930's, he'd probably have been chuckling up his sleeve at people getting bent out of shape about Mussolini, Hitler and Franco.

• Advertisement

jooksavage wrote: »
    Back in the 1930's, he'd probably have been chuckling up his sleeve at people getting bent out of shape about Mussolini, Hitler and Franco.

Damn, we've just been Godwin'd.

Shut 'er down boys!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Yates predicted Kevin 'Boxer' Moran (IND) would win a seat in Longford-Westmeath especially after Moran got so much profile during the Athlone floods. He was 4/1 at the time so I put €50 on. He is now even money last time I checked and he seems to be campaigning very well (recently got Connacht centre Henshaw to endorse him and do a video with him).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yates predicted Kevin 'Boxer' Moran (IND) would win a seat in Longford-Westmeath especially after Moran got so much profile during the Athlone floods. He was 4/1 at the time so I put €50 on. He is now even money last time I checked and he seems to be campaigning very well (recently got Connacht centre Henshaw to endorse him and do a video with him).

He's 1/3 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

He's 1/3 now.

Yeah I believe he is an absolute cert. Fair play Yates!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Newstalk doing nothing to hide their delight at Labour's demise this morning. That Chris O'Donoghue lad, I swear, I was cringing at his stupid questions this morning. One smug, smartar$e question after the other. He shouldnt be allowed near any serious programming.

• Advertisement

A greedy rich man like Peter Sutherland really was the worst person to pick to bat on behalf of the refugees. Why in God's name did any body think this was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Well done on the win!

How did Yates do on the predictions overall??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

muggles wrote: »
    Well done on the win!

How did Yates do on the predictions overall??

Here's his final predictions if you want to go through them:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/ivan-yates/ivan-yates-predictions-who-will-make-it-to-the-dil-and-whose-heads-will-roll-34484333.html

Calling the two Green seats was pretty impressive I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Damn. Thought someone might have it summed up for me already or that he may have mentioned it on radio! Cheers for the link though, will have a look tonight when I have time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Only one I know he got wrong for sure is that clown Mattie McGrath, it was part of Matties victory speech on the radio announcing how Yeats got it wrong. Pathetic stuff. Must've been his ingenious campaign slogan of "ooh ahh Mattie Mcgrath, say ooh ahh Mattie McGrath" that secured it for him. Sad state of affairs when a gobsh*te like this gets voted in, but sure isn't it great for the parish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only one I know he got wrong for sure is that clown Mattie McGrath, it was part of Matties victory speech on the radio announcing how Yeats got it wrong. Pathetic stuff. Must've been his ingenious campaign slogan of "ooh ahh Mattie Mcgrath, say ooh ahh Mattie McGrath" that secured it for him. Sad state of affairs when a gobsh*te like this gets voted in, but sure isn't it great for the parish :(

He got one wrong in Offaly as well, He predicted 2FF & 1FG, ended up 1FF, 1FG and 1SF but the second FF seat was very close thing.

Dublin Bay South I see he had Lucinda getting back in.

Dublin fingal - He had James Reilly getting back in.

The more I look through it the more ones I see wrong, Kerry wrong, North Kildare wrong...

He got Kerry wrong, saying Danny Healy Rae wouldn't get it.

And he got Cork NW wrong, he predicted John Paul O'Shea would get in, but Aindrias Moynihan got the most first preferences and both Moynihans held on in the end.

I'd assume they're waiting to sum it all up once the last few seats are filled. There were still counts going on this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was following Ivan's predictions over the weeks. He did pretty well overall, but there a few he missed alright. There were some he admitted that it was too close to call to be sure about.

He got the Green Party 2 right, including Catherine Martin in Dublin Rathdown, but he did not predict that Josepha Madigan would beat Alan Shatter for the Fine Gael seat. He also predicted wrongly that Joan Burton would lose her seat in Dublin West, giving it to Sinn Fein's Paul Donnelly. But that was a difficult one to get right.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

To be fair in Dublin West, every man and his dog had Joan Burton losing her seat.

Awful campaign by SF being unable to get Donnelly elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

depending on how the recount goes, he got one or 2 wrong in longford westmeath. i'm pretty sure he said bannon would top the poll, but he's fighting with penrose now just to not be eliminated. the shinners could be taking the last seat there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Anyone know what the question for the apple a day competition was today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

bleeding surreal listening to news"pay your fuking water charges!"talk today.

practically buried the utility today.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bleeding surreal listening to news"pay your fuking water charges!"talk today.

practically buried the utility today.

:D

Was listening to this on the way home from work this morning.

Buried it is right!

who do Yates and Donohoe think they are, this morning telling Enda Kenny about how he should resign and the steps he should take. And Yates there criticising the usual protocols that TDs follow (particularly not criticising the party leader) when he did ALL the same sh1te himself. The man is a bigger hypocrite then Joe Duffy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Donohoe's ego and his self importance is starting to grate now. Yeates it's expected from, but this other clown needs to realise he has nothing to back up his inflated self importance - no real life experience and no real intellect. He would want to rein back the self righteousness as well, as any 'journalist' who sucks at the tit of DOB has no moral authority to dictate to anyone else.

I see Chris' mother is in for another visit. Please tell me that she's not filling in for Ivan for all the shows while he is away cos I dont know how many more of her "When I was a Minister" stories I can take.

Sean Quinn has "the ability to see in to the future". That is just a ridiculous statement

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

That Paul O'Connell interview with Chris was brutal. Paul what's in this for you??

It was like he was interrogating a politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

The guy filling in at lunchtime sounds like a transition year student. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Red King wrote: »
    The guy filling in at lunchtime sounds like a transition year student. Lol

Sounds a bit like FG's Simon Harris to me, much the same thing I guess:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement