Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Gonna be interesting to see if they cover the breaking DOB story regarding his loans in the morning. Will they go against the boss?? Nah.

Helloooaaahhhh. Anyone bother listening to this program or are they still searching for the truth??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ivan's hamas "joke" this morning was a bit dark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Ivan's hamas "joke" this morning was a bit dark.

I thought it was brilliant in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I thought it was brilliant in fairness!

It was funny alright, but I'm not sure that Chris would agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    It was funny alright, but I'm not sure that Chris would agree.

He's as bad as him!

I'm only waiting for the day he hits him with the bankrupt bookie line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Originally Posted by roran
    Helloooaaahhhh. Anyone bother listening to this program or are they still searching for the truth??
    Sssssshhhhhhhhhhh...this other fella called Muff Richardson without an underscore got an outright ban for saying something unfavourable about Denis o brien. I think he's great by the way, a patriot and an all round hero.

Thanks for heads up on above Muff, but this isn't about DO'B. All Public Sector have their wages/salaries available online...even farmers have to have their EU payments put up online. So why haven't (Public-owned) Banks their Interest Charges online so that we all know what we are paying? And if a Public Rep can stand up in the Dail and highlight more favourable terms that some individual or group are availing of, then that is a Public Issue...simple as.
    What's good enough for Muff_Richardson is good enough for me ;)

"I think we should be told..."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Liked the guy doing the show last week.
    Did the Sunday show yesterday,not so good though.
    Forget his name now but I've heard him a couple of times and thought he was witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

kneemos wrote: »
    Liked the guy doing the show last week.
    Did the Sunday show yesterday,not so good though.
    Forget his name now but I've heard him a couple of times and thought he was witty.

Ciaran Cuddity ( spelled so wrong ).

He's ok, he used be very preachy and talked down to people but he seems to have stepped back and was more natural on the show last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Did Ivan just introduce Franc as Frank:D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Did Ivan just introduce Franc as Frank:D:D

Well he introduced Ciara as Ciaran for the 8:30 news, so I think anything goes today. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ivan mentioned this morning that his young lad had just started a J1 is the US this week

hopefully he was not caught up in the LA collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Ivan mentioned this morning that his young lad had just started a J1 is the US this week

hopefully he was not caught up in the LA collapse

I think Ivan mentioned before that the son is in Boston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

selfish prick, 33% chance of dying and he's got 4 kids yet hes still
    going to climb K2 ... attention seeking selfish asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got to say I am getting increasingly annoyed with Yeats' pops off Chris. He genuinely seems to take delight in UTV Ireland not doing so well and likes to point it out to Chris at every opportunity.

I know he tries to pass it off as "banter", but I think its bullying at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

gimmick wrote: »
    Got to say I am getting increasingly annoyed with Yeats' pops off Chris. He genuinely seems to take delight in UTV Ireland not doing so well and likes to point it out to Chris at every opportunity.

I know he tries to pass it off as "banter", but I think its bullying at this stage.

Yates' smarm levels are on overdrive the last few months. It's the self-satisfied "ah-he ah-he ah-he" laugh that really makes my skin crawl. That, and his relentless "been there, seen that" attitude to EVERYTHING. I used to be very hard on Chris with his bizarre pronounciations and inept interviewing techniques but he actually seems like a nice, personable guy. On the other hand, Yates comes across, not as the witty, world-weary cynic he no doubt fancies himself, but just a bit of a pr*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    He did. But trust me when I say, 1 BAI ruling isn't worth the paper it's written on. And the sanctions are meaningless, as all you have to do is broadcast an apology and summary of the finding.

If NT wanted to be impartial (as a good CA station would strive to be), they would pull him from these interviews, as he clearly comes across as pushing his own view. As much as I agree with Chris' view, I think it damages the Yes side to try and railroad No supporters, even if they're Iona Institute gurriers.

In fairness from listening to him for a few years now every morning, he tends to get much more firey about issues that are close to his own heart, or he feels strongly about. He can be pretty placid when it comes to most mundane stuff, but when it comes to things he clearly holds a strong opinion about you can actually hear it in how he talks, and the tone he uses.

As much as I like him I don't think he is actually that strong when it comes to the big ticket items and his interviews and he can come across a little immature or something. Shane Coleman is usually much stronger in that sort of role (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bullying is a strong word. You never know what Chris was like when he landed the gig, maybe he thought he was billy big bollocks around the office :)

Chris is more then able to hold his own and is normally quick to pull up Yates with any old boyo views or when he makes a meal of a "cool kid trend". I think the two have an interesting and enjoyable dynamic, and the pops they through at each other is part of that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Chris is well able for it, Yates has been slagging him since their partnership began. It's more of a gimmick at this stage than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Chris is well able for it, Yates has been slagging him since their partnership began. It's more of a gimmick at this stage than anything.
    Chris is not afraid to mention Ivan's little stay in Wales which normally shuts him up quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ivan this morning: "Sex is just a memory to me".:eek: You wouldn't hear that from one of the Morning Ireland crew...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Ivan this morning: "Sex is just a memory to me".:eek: You wouldn't hear that from one of the Morning Ireland crew...

Comes a close second to Hook announcing last week that he was world champ at jacking himself off in his youth. It was the first time he managed to shut that know all righteous Greystones doctor up.

Comes a close second to Hook announcing last week that he was world champ at jacking himself off in his youth. It was the first time he managed to shut that know all righteous Greystones doctor up.

ewww. I wish I could unread that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Fair play to Chris!

He had his agenda going into that interview with the priest before nine, and by gar he stuck to it.

Seriously, the tone of that interview was bizarre. It could have been a "Jeez, the CC are reaching out to their parishioners. This progress. Maybe this opens up doors for further reform?". Instead it was "WHY NO WIMMINS!?!?!? RAAAAWWWWWRRRRR!!!"

Even when I agree with Chris, I hate his shrill interviewing technique. Losing his cool with the Iona nut-jobs during the M. Equality referendum made him look very inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jooksavage wrote: »
    Even when I agree with Chris, I hate his shrill interviewing technique. Losing his cool with the Iona nut-jobs during the M. Equality referendum made him look very inept.

He wasn't bad on the telly,the bit I saw of him anyway.

kneemos wrote: »
    He wasn't bad on the telly,the bit I saw of him anyway.

He was bad on the radio. He started fumbling it with a minnow like Iona's Breda O'Brien. The irrationality of Iona's arguments were plain to see but he couldn't stop there - everyone had to know HOW ANGRY IT MADE HIM. He just came across as extremely hostile and hysterical, not unlike a disgruntled audience member on the People's Debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I think Chris would make a great TV weatherman. No piss taking or sarcasm intended, dead serious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The two of them have a great dynamic and bounce off each other really well. Its a bit like an 80s buddy cop movie transported to modern day Ireland. Gruff world weary vetern and his young idealist partner in crime. Its all good.

I often wonder does he know what he's even saying half the time. It's his wife I feel sorry for. She must be morto at the stuff he comes out with at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Norah Owens standing in for Ivan this morning....dear god.

I understand that there *may* be a slight FG bias in DOB's media monopoly, but could he not find anybody else from FG to stand in?????

• Advertisement

I thought she did pretty well from the snippets I heard as I was getting ready this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement