Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

meeeeh wrote: »
    This thing that only some people wanted to open for Christmas is complete nonsense. People in general started ignoring the restrictions even before they were lifted as the stagnation in falling numbers implied. Only the people who did not meet friends or family and ate their Christmas dinner on their own are entitled to criticise C Kelly or government or people travelling in or whoever is at fault now for increasing numbers. Everybody else should stop going on about Christmas like it's only because of other people's behaviour numbers went up. Let's remember some wanted schools closed earlier so that they would visit their elderly relatives and spread the virus to them.

Government and C Kelly didn't spray Covid around, plenty of warnings were given to people so if we all wanted to behave responsibly we would. We didn't. The government or Ciara Kelly or whoever is the scapegoat now are just the excuses for people because they don't want to admit their own failings. If people worried more about their own behaviour than that of others our numbers would be a lot lower.

I stayed at home with my better half during Christmas, bar two hours in the in-laws Garden on Xmass eve doing presents etc, so I can have a pop at Ms Kelly :)

I don't want to derail this thread with more Covid stuff, there are enough places on boards.ie to talk about it, but there are people out there that solely rely on the Government and media to tell them what the can and can't do during this pandemic.
    The media and Government could turn around tomorrow and say you can mix with three other house holds at the end of February, and guess what, people will do that. The likes of Ms Kelly "promoting" it does not help.

Treat everyone like they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ciara Kelly was heavily critical of the Govt. Lockdown last summer and the November/December lockdown. She was also heavily critical of the levels of restrictions imposed in ireland v. other countries. You really need to stop conflating the two positions as if they were identical - they were far from it.
    Ok blame Ciara for the increase in numbers if that makes you feel better. It's a change from the government told us to spread the virus in December argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

meeeeh wrote: »
    Ok blame Ciara for the increase in numbers if that makes you feel better. It's a change from the government told us to spread the virus in December argument.

Incredibly articulate and fact-filled response there. Thank you for your service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

I would really like to put together a montage of all Ms Kelly's comments about the Ca-ni-ver-ous CV19 and some day play them back to her. I am all for optimism (More anti-pessimistic tbh), but there are a lot out there that are just plain deluded, she being one of them.

Like, follow the science, stop giving people false hope. Even some of the senior politicians (bar Leo the Leak) have realised the seriousness of the situation.

Never take anything a DJ says seriously

They literally can and do change their mind as often as they like

Hmob wrote: »
    Never take anything a DJ says seriously

They literally can and do change their mind as often as they like

Did you know that Tony Holohan was afraid to debate Ciara Kelly about the vaccine, lockdown restrictions etc. and that she knows more about the disease than him? Well it's true - according to a poster on this thread.

• Advertisement

Well his line did go dead during an interview with Pat Kenny... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

John Duggan brought up the dangers of concussion and head injuries from rugby during the sport slot this morning. The response from the good doctor was "But sure....lookit" and moved onto the next story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Anyone else find the chemistry 'flirting' and innuendo between Shane and Ciara hard to stomach at this time of the morning? Unlike Andrea Gilligan's show and Lavhline which are entertaining as train wrecks this can no longer be said about the Breakfast show which as brought banal to a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Dr Kelly is basically another Paul Williams now.

Unlike Paul Williams I don't think she'll ever leave of her own volition however.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Listening to the 'chest feeding' and other bs around women being pregnant and breast feeding, absolutely ridiculous carry on. I respect anyones wishes to be who they want to be but women get pregnant, women end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Does she understand that she was demoted to the Breakfast Show? It was a demotion. Hopefully the powers that be there realise that she is a disaster and needs to be moved out completely. Clear they must have some inkling or she wouldn't have been demoted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

pc7 wrote: »
    Listening to the 'chest feeding' and other bs around women being pregnant and breast feeding, absolutely ridiculous carry on. I respect anyones wishes to be who they want to be but women get pregnant, women end of story.

news and media agencies publish this stuff to trigger people and get a response. and ye fall for it every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    news and media agencies publish this stuff to trigger people and get a response. and ye fall for it every time.

just like the Daily Mail

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Murdoc90 wrote: »

Yeah its from some UK health board or some such place, but the amount of traction that movement is getting into areas that affect women is worrying if it continues. Not here so much, but in terms of scholarships for sports in the US its becoming a big issue. But I'll keep that for the other thread on it.

I saw it in The Times (the Murdoch one). I didn't hear the discussion but I read an article today about a few NHS trusts (Brighton I think has disproportionate amount of trans people). I think people should be addressed as they wish. So if a person giving birth considers themselves a man, a donkey or something else they can be addressed accordingly. I have very little patience when they start faffing with terms like breastfeeding or maternity. Breasts not chest produce milk so it should be called breastfeeding. Any chest feeding I've seen was in eighties movie sex scenes.

Apologies if I'm off topic I didn't hear a discussion on the show.

That was the place Meeeeh, couldn't remember the name until you mentioned it. Either way I won't be calling it chest feeding that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

It was good to hear Aodhán Ó Ríordáin call her out on the constant interruptions this morning. She then deliberately misquoted him as well.

It was good to hear Aodhán Ó Ríordáin call her out on the constant interruptions this morning. She then deliberately misquoted him as well.

She has atrocious interview etiquette and listening skills.

Ah, so that's where they get it. :rolleyes:

Azatadine wrote: »
    She has atrocious interview etiquette and listening skills.

She also did in her previous slot on "Lunchtime Live"........she consistently interrupted the contributors who had taken time to ring in ..... with her opinion, her story, her idea, her take on whatever it was. It was "me, me me"........or "I I I"...........it never ended.
    Why she is allowed interview anyone is beyond me, she interrupts 10 seconds later and it turns into Ciara Kelly's story anyway :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

but but but but but but was all she could muster in reply !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I was listening on the way to work and I gave Aodhan O Riordain a virtual high five when he called her out on her interruptions :D

When I switched on this morning there was another presenter instead of Ciara Kelly. Her voice was like soothing honey compared to the nails on the wall screeching from Ciara. This replacement (Claire) also sounds so professional and keeps the same smooth tone to her voice which made her easy to keep listening to.

Usually these days I listen for a few minutes then switch to RTE as Ciara's voice and her constant interrupting just annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

When I switched on this morning there was another presenter instead of Ciara Kelly. Her voice was like soothing honey compared to the nails on the wall screeching from Ciara. This replacement (Claire) also sounds so professional and keeps the same smooth tone to her voice which made her easy to keep listening to.

Usually these days I listen for a few minutes then switch to RTE as Ciara's voice and her constant interrupting just annoy me.

Claire Brock is her name. Quite a competent presenter and defo a more pleasant voice. She stood in for Ciara Doherty on VM tonight show recently which was great as I just can't listen to Doherty's accent.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Claire Brock is her name. Quite a competent presenter and defo a more pleasant voice. She stood in for Ciara Doherty on VM tonight show recently which was great as I just can't listen to Doherty's accent.

I've always like Claire Brock actually. Capable of doing more than the news presenting I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Was Shane Coleman on his own today for the whole show?, just listened up to 7:30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Was Shane Coleman on his own today for the whole show?, just listened up to 7:30

Yes, they frequently do solo runs or perhaps has gone to join the frontline her cupboard - again!

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yes, they frequently do solo runs or perhaps has gone to join the frontline her cupboard - again!

half of Newstalk are on leave this week, Pat Kenny, Sean Moncrieff (he was yesterday), Kieran Cuddihy, Ciara Kelly...............its a ghost town

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Enjoyed the solo run for Shane today and Ciara Kelly would be doing the country a better service by returning to practicing medicine.

I don't understand the satisfaction she could gain from producing shoddy broadcasting and getting maligned daily on social media to actually getting back out there and putting her years of training to good use helping people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

redbuck wrote: »
    Enjoyed the solo run for Shane today and Ciara Kelly would be doing the country a better service by returning to practicing medicine.

I don't understand the satisfaction she could gain from producing shoddy broadcasting and getting maligned daily on social media to actually getting back out there and putting her years of training to good use helping people.

Well didn't she announce to the nztion last year that she was going reregister with the medical council. Did she?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement