Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Augeo wrote: »
    We have a Ciara fan in the house image.jpg

I don't think one needs to be Ciara fan to scoff at poor humour. However it's nice to see that even 3rd rate comedy has it's fans.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't think one needs to be Ciara fan to scoff at poor humour. However it's nice to see that even 3rd rate comedy has it's fans.

I really thought the below was wonderfully funny tbh.
    Ciara Kelly: Welcome to the show Taoiseach.

Leo: Thanks for havi

CK: Now Taoiseach, im an essential worker, what about people like me who have to suffer through this lockdown. Don't you think blah blah blah

Leo: Thanks for having me on Cia

CK: Sorry Taoiseach I have to stop you there, as a GP myself and having had Covid , I am in better position than most blah blah blah

Leo: Well Ciara, if I can just start by saying

CK: With all due respect Taoiseach, this is not the time for statements, we need action, are you going to take action Taoiseach, blah blah blah

Leo: Thanks for having me on Ciara.

I really thought the below was wonderfully funny tbh.

And I thought it was a cliché. But then again I don't like Mrs Brown's Boys either.

It would have been a cliché if it included a reference to " I love a bit of ride and prejudice", "sausage" or "eating only soft things in bed" or some other sh1te she screeches IMO :)

It would have been a cliché if it included a reference to " I love a bit of ride and prejudice", "sausage" or "eating only soft things in bed" or some other sh1te she screeches IMO :)

BTW do you describe men whose tone of voice you don't like as screeching? Just trying to find if the problem is her voice or the fact she is a woman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Piehead wrote: »
    I wonder how much the 2 get paid for the show? 50 or 60k

At a guess... **** all, like everyone on Newstalk. I'd imagine she relies a lot on after dinner events etc.. to top up her salary.

I wonder why she is so keen to have everything back open again...

BTW do you describe men whose tone of voice you don't like as screeching? Just trying to find if the problem is her voice or the fact she is a woman?

Lol, I don't hear any men screeching on the radio tbh. Or women either for that matter, it's just Ciara I notice doing it. There seems to be merit to the point below, does Ciara get away with being fairly sh1t on the radio because she's female? There's no problem btw, just folk commenting on what they hear in the morning.

Women are beyond criticism because they are women in your view?
    Can't be the butt of jokes either?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Surely you don’t think that Newstalk would do anything that might seem to a woke person like they were treating a woman unfairly.

We are not talking about a George Hook here.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Did you get up on the Woke side of the bed this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

redbuck wrote: »
    Probably closer to 100k I'd imagine because I don't know why a doctor would leave her GP role to shout on the radio every morning for half the pay.

A very large ego perhaps?

Lol, I don't hear any men screeching on the radio tbh. Or women either for that matter, it's just Ciara I notice doing it. There seems to be merit to the point below, does Ciara get away with being fairly sh1t on the radio because she's female? There's no problem btw, just folk commenting on what they hear in the morning.

Women are beyond criticism because they are women in your view?
    Can't be the butt of jokes either?

Women are not beyond of criticism at all. However when women are critisied because they sound like women then yes I do not think criticism is valid. Funny you mention George Hook who had pretty terrible voice for radio and yet nobody described him as screeching.

I get some people like their women quiet and sweet so they are not threatened by them. But not all of us. Some of us like confidence.

• Advertisement

You really seem to be looking to be offended whilst being in a feminist day out.
    No other presenter on radio screeches like Ciara Kelly IMO.
    If you fancy screechy birds that's of course perfectly fine :)

Looking to be offended - tick
    Feminist - tick
    Woke - tick

Some here really like clichés. Btw I fancy intelligent men. So you are safe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ah the female card again. :rolleyes:

Ciara would receive no criticism whatsoever if she was a man.

I mean look in Radio Forum, Ryan Tubridy, Ray D’Arcy, and Joe Duffy receive no criticism at any time and they’re men. Same with her predecessor Paul Williams and her current sports host “Quinny”. None of these people men are ever criticized on here. It’s clear and blatant sexism.

Oh, wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Looking to be offended - thick
    Feminist - thick
    Woke - thick

Some here really like clichés. Btw I fancy intelligent men. So you are safe there.

Who said any of those things in this thread?

Ah the female card again. :rolleyes:

Ciara would receive no criticism whatsoever if she was a man.

I mean look in Radio Forum, Ryan Tubridy, Ray D’Arcy, and Joe Duffy receive no criticism at any time and they’re men. Same with her predecessor Paul Williams and her current sports host “Quinny”. None of these people are ever criticized on here. It’s clear and blatant sexism.

Oh, wait.....

So how many of them are described as screechy? You will have to tell me because unlike you I don't waste my time with shows I don't like to listen to.

statto25 wrote: »
    Who said any of those things in this thread?

Sorry I meant 'tick'. I'll amend the post..

. Btw I fancy intelligent men. So you are safe there.

Lol

You're single how long? :pac:

So how many of them are described as screechy? You will have to tell me because unlike you I don't waste my time with shows I don't like to listen to.

How many of them are screechy wannabe insta huns?

How many of them are screechy wannabe insta huns?

Yeah as I thought...

Sorry I meant 'tick'. I'll amend the post..
    Looking to be offended - thick
    Feminist - thick
    Woke - thick

Quoted for prosperity ;)
    So we can all see what your game was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

What’s with the word screechy? Seems to have freaked you out altogether

I actually picked it up on this thread recently.......... I though it a wonderful description of Ciara........ for reference another lady was mentioned in the same post.........
    When I switched on this morning there was another presenter instead of Ciara Kelly. Her voice was like soothing honey compared to the nails on the wall screeching from Ciara. This replacement (Claire) also sounds so professional and keeps the same smooth tone to her voice which made her easy to keep listening to.

Usually these days I listen for a few minutes then switch to RTE as Ciara's voice and her constant interrupting just annoy me.

Quoted for prosperity ;)
    So we can all see what your game was.

Yes it was my devious plan all along. It has nothing to do with the fact I'm not native speaker...

I always find it intresting how I constantly have to apologise for spelling mistakes to people who most likely speak only one language fluently.

I actually picked it up on this thread recently.......... I though it a wonderful description of Ciara........ for reference another lady was mentioned in the same post.........

Yes and like any other female presenter she will be described as soothing honey only till she actually voices her opinion. I saw it before Andrea Gilligan was considered so much better until she got her daytime show. Sarah McInerney had to move to RTE which is less opinion driven and suddenly her voice stopped bothering people.

Yes it was my devious plan all along. It has nothing to do with the fact I'm not native speaker...

What a conicidence it looked like you were trying to insult folk with a "thick" instead of a "tick" just after you proclaimed "Btw I fancy intelligent men. So you are safe there."
    At least have the confidence to stand over your posts ;) Some of us like confidence :pac:
    I always find it intresting how I constantly have to apologise for spelling mistakes to people who most likely speak only one language fluently.......

The number of languages other people speak fluently should have nothing to do with your spelling on a forum you chose to post on. What is your native tongue?

The number of languages other people speak fluently should have nothing to do with your spelling on a forum you chose to post on. What is your native tongue?
    Why is my nationality relevant? It's Slovenian. I also speak with heavy accent. Will you still allow me stay here or should I leave my Irish husband and kids and move back to where I came from?

Why is my nationality relevant? It's Slovenian.

You are the one trying to make it relevant iirc
    .......... I'm not native speaker............

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Paul Williams got panned a lot more than Dr Kelly in the same slot not too long ago.

The person's gender has nothing to do with the bad broadcasting they are both responsible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Except I didn't say that, did I?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod note

Right closing thread until one of us can look at it, only seen this page and that's more than enough. Report the posts, don't attack posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement