Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

Going to pause this thread a bit to allow a cool-down. When re-opened I don't want to see a repeat of the trolling above and counter responses. Cool it down, keep on topic with the material being discussed on the radio when it's re-opened, this is the only way the thread will work. If you don't like what others post keep responses respectful of posters and mods alike. There's enough real sh1t going on in thecworld without recreating it on a fairly trivial discussion tread. Fe a perspective. To to all posters who remain respectful, you have my appreciation.

Thread the-opened. Kindly keep everything civil from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Missed the show this morning as I was in meetings.

Any backtracking from the host re. her demands for opening things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Absolutely none CK was singing a different tune this morning.

The best was the Shane Coleman Interview with Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland my god did that man hand Shane his behind on a plate classic stuff it was on at 07:45 AM well worth a listen back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Do you really need to ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Since Ciara said before holidays that she is ok with lockdown once there is some light at the of the tunnel like vaccine I don't know what backtracking she is supposed to do.

It's nice to see people still take statements out of context and demand presenters backtrack on them. After all ButtersSuki did call her the lowest of the low so much more shouldn't be expected.

Anyway it's good to see some are delighted with rising numbers just so they can use them to criticise others.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I was feeling miserable this morning, first day back at work, hands frozen from scraping ice off the windscreen and I switch the ignition on and hear Jess Kelly’s voice discussing the most boring mundane topic and I felt like bursting into tears.

redbuck wrote: »
    I was feeling miserable this morning, first day back at work, hands frozen from scraping ice off the windscreen and I switch the ignition on and hear Jess Kelly’s voice discussing the most boring mundane topic and I felt like bursting into tears.

Tears of joy? :pac:

meeeeh wrote: »
    Since Ciara said before holidays that she is ok with lockdown once there is some light at the of the tunnel like vaccine I don't know what backtracking she is supposed to do.

It's nice to see people still take statements out of context and demand presenters backtrack on them. After all ButtersSuki did call her the lowest of the low so much more shouldn't be expected.

Anyway it's good to see some are delighted with rising numbers just so they can use them to criticise others.

This is clear trolling and deliberate misquoting, the deepest irony of which is it comes in the same paragraph as one where you are saying peiple are taking statements out of context.

This particular reference of what you're alleging I said has once again been deliberately edited to make it appear like I said something other than what I actually said.

What I said was "she's the lowest of the low in the Doctor hierarchy" which is a factual statement as a GP is on the bottom rung on the Doctor ladder; which is considerably different from "she's the lowest of the low". You make not like my choice of language but you're going out of your way to take a different interpretation on what was stated. The first is a statement of rank in a hierarchy, the second is a personal comment. I did not make the personal comment you are alleging. This has been clarified repeatedly and with senior mod involvement in the past as well you know.

The mods closed this thread very recently and asked for no trolling or sniping and yet again you start. Why is that? No personal comments were made regarding the host or you and yet once again you start on me - why?

I also didn't demand anyone backtrack. I asked if she had, being as she was a cheerleader and vocal proponent of opening up. We opened up, and look where we are now. She was wrong. There's no taking her out of context on that.

You think I'm delighted that the numbers are up? I said it was a mistake to open up last August, I said we should be in lockdown before it was brought back in, I said it was a mistake to open up for Christmas. I also as you know work in Healthcare. No, I'm not delighted the numbers are shooting up. I'm saddened by it; and very worried as on top of all that I'm extremely high risk myself. I'm the last person who would be happy at the numbers increasing.

meeeeh wrote: »

Mod
    Meeeh, do not post on this thread for the remainder of the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Has she changed her tune about just getting used to the virus and living with it? Does she still think that approach (minimal restrictions) is the way to go??

I dont listen to the program any more.

Azatadine wrote: »
    Has she changed her tune about just getting used to the virus and living with it? Does she still think that approach (minimal restrictions) is the way to go??

I dont listen to the program any more.

Haven't been able to listen in the last few weeks as I've had very early meetings everyday so can't comment, but I'd assume she's sticking to her guns given her form on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Shane Coleman was so rude to that woman that opposed the 22 story flat this morning. She was trying to give the counter side of the argument, saying that there were no school places in the area, heavy traffic leaving the estates and no amenities for the residents. He kept shouting over and contradicting her without letting her make her point, while letting the other guy Pat have the freedom to speak completely unchallenged. The sort of Joe Duffy style objectivity, where you challenge the side you don't agree with and let the side you agree with go unchallenged.

I just hope he doesn't bring the subject up with Pat Kenny when he meets him at the water cooler. Pat would object to a sparrow building it's nest in his shed never mind a 22 story block of flats.

Shane Coleman was so rude to that woman that opposed the 22 story flat this morning. She was trying to give the counter side of the argument, saying that there were no school places in the area, heavy traffic leaving the estates and no amenities for the residents. He kept shouting over and contradicting her without letting her make her point, while letting the other guy Pat have the freedom to speak completely unchallenged. The sort of Joe Duffy style objectivity, where you challenge the side you don't agree with and let the side you agree with go unchallenged.

I just hope he doesn't bring the subject up with Pat Kenny when he meets him at the water cooler. Pat would object to a sparrow building it's nest in his shed never mind a 22 story block of flats.

He has form on this. He wants everyone stuck in high rise flats and apartments. He has been vehemently opposed to one off housing or low density for years and years. It must have sickened him to admit that high density has resulted in a greater spread of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger here......

Lot of anger here......

Have to disagree with you on that Brendan if you're referring to my question? Perfectly fair and legitimate question to ask.

Have to disagree with you on that Brendan if you're referring to my question? Perfectly fair and legitimate question to ask.

No, Butthers, not disagreeing with anyone, just making a passing comment on the general dispersion of cards and warnings which proliferate the last few pages.

Basically just a reminder to myself to stay clear of the ‘areeeya’ for a while.

I would say that’s sensible advice ...?

No, Butthers, not disagreeing with anyone, just making a passing comment on the general dispersion of cards and warnings which proliferate the last few pages.

Basically just a reminder to myself to stay clear of the ‘areeeya’ for a while.

I would say that’s sensible advice ...?

My yellow card was a mistake by the mod so that might make the atmosphere feel a bit warmer and welcoming.

Speaking of warm and welcoming, there was another great sports session with Quinny yesterday morning, I thought I could hear him moving the papers as he read his script.

My yellow card was a mistake by the mod so that might make the atmosphere feel a bit warmer and welcoming.

Speaking of warm and welcoming, there was another great sports session with Quinny yesterday morning, I thought I could hear him moving the papers as he read his script.

Yes, that card seemed a bit strange, I can loosen my sphinct. a few notches after hearing it was a mistake.....will still steer clear till the heat dissipates a bit

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,203 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Quinny thought it was a must win game for Liverpool , and a Man Utd win would have put them out of the title race ........

he's also unsure if most Arsenal fans would miss Ozil

• Advertisement

Does he do anything else for Newstalk? Like, surely he can't be getting paid for those sports updates alone?

They have a person who worked on the Trump campaign on to talk about his legacy. Not sure why, what we are hearing is mostly Ciara giving her opinion on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

They have someone on to talk about something .... Well stay quiet for a minute Ciara Kelly and let us hear what they have to say !!

She asks a question and half way through the answer she gives us her views and talks over them

SAMTALK wrote: »
    They have someone on to talk about something .... Well stay quiet for a minute Ciara Kelly and let us hear what they have to say !!

She asks a question and half way through the answer she gives us her views and talks over them

Ciara Kelly has no understanding of interview etiquette. Very poor.

What did Dr Kelly say this morning? I see she's trending on twitter again.

What did Dr Kelly say this morning? I see she's trending on twitter again.

Guessing that isn't about what she said this morning, i'd imagine it's more to do with Minister Madigan retweeting her SIndo article yesterday blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I heard some of the show this morning and she was on about the need to really lock down - the danger of the virus etc .....

Am I imagining things or was she only on a few months ago about how we shouldn't have a lock down as it's killing people's mental health and the rest.

So she can't really make her mind up - but yet will try sound like an authority figure on the matter

whippet wrote: »
    I heard some of the show this morning and she was on about the need to really lock down - the danger of the virus etc .....

Am I imagining things or was she only on a few months ago about how we shouldn't have a lock down as it's killing people's mental health and the rest.

So she can't really make her mind up - but yet will try sound like an authority figure on the matter

Also known as the topical bangwagon.

Remember her stance on the leaving cert and predicted grading last year. Once it was announced she then wanted all primary schools back the following week.

Flip flop.

you are not imagining it at all !! Kieran Cuddihy was also saying on the Hard Shoulder a few months back that they was 'only 13 in the ICU's with Covid', so there was plenty of room, so we should open up ....

They seemed to have changed their tune a bit , and forgotten their past opinions

• Advertisement

She was demanding we open up fully before Christmas, and was heavily critical of the October/November Lockdown.

We even had poster on here saying she knew more about the virus than the CMO and that he was afraid to debate her. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement