Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

She was demanding we open up fully before Christmas, and was heavily critical of the October/November Lockdown.

We even had poster on here saying she knew more about the virus than the CMO and that he was afraid to debate her. :rolleyes:

thats why I can't listen to her - on the lunch time live she was painful and thankfully I never really listen to lunch time radio - I used to listen to the breakfast show - but since she joined I just tune off - unfortunately my wife like listening to her.

As for her general broadcasting skills - personally I reckon she should have stayed on as a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

whippet wrote: »
    thats why I can't listen to her - on the lunch time live she was painful and thankfully I never really listen to lunch time radio - I used to listen to the breakfast show - but since she joined I just tune off - unfortunately my wife like listening to her.

As for her general broadcasting skills - personally I reckon she should have stayed on as a GP.

Bedside manner may have needed some work though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,954 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Azatadine wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly has no understanding of interview etiquette. Very poor.

If she wants your opinion, she'll give it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

In another country special needs were called back because constitutional court said that kids have constitutional right to education and if you can't provide it remotely you have to provide it in person. I think most of EU has some sort of provisions for those kids and possibly some others. Here special needs kids were abandoned. They won't be major group vote and there is small group of parents with not much voice so unions can advise their members to hide under the table. People might not like Ciara Kelly but it's kids with special needs who are abandoned by people who are paid to teach them.

At least she is speaking for them and not for a group of union officials in nice comfy positions whose fat pay or comfortable lifestyle won't be affected. They aren't caring day and night for kids who are regressing significantly because apparently their education doesn't matter.

Ciara Kelly cheer squad assemble!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Think I heard earlier that Ciara will be interviewing Amanda Knox in the morning. Quite the pair !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

2smiggy wrote: »
    Think I heard earlier that Ciara will be interviewing Amanda Knox in the morning. Quite the pair !!

I heard that too and was puzzled - what's the Irish angle or is Ciara going to start interviewing everyone who may, or may not, have murdered somebody?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

2smiggy wrote: »

I predict Amanda will manage under 100 words during the interview, Dr Kelly will do the rest of the talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

whippet wrote: »
    I heard some of the show this morning and she was on about the need to really lock down - the danger of the virus etc .....

Am I imagining things or was she only on a few months ago about how we shouldn't have a lock down as it's killing people's mental health and the rest.

So she can't really make her mind up - but yet will try sound like an authority figure on the matter

The last time I listened to the program the numbers had just taken a steep curve upwards to about 700 and she said something like 'it was one days numbers and it shouldn't be taken out of context' (paraphrase) and this after her talking constantly that we shouldn't have lock down.

Now I don't mind if she has changed her mind on this and I would support her if she said that she was wrong in her previous assertions and maybe we should have a different look at how things are going but from what I hear she is still Cock-a-Bull like many Know-it-All's in that what she says it right (but please, please talk not of previous discussions)

• Advertisement

Knox is promoting something. There was an interview with her in Saturday or Sunday Times (not Irish Times).

meeeeh wrote: »
    Knox is promoting something. There was an interview with her in Saturday or Sunday Times (not Irish Times).

she has been on a lot of US television lately as well. I have not watched it, but maybe a book ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Some of the statements from Ciara Kelly this morning are dangerous. Shaming healthcare workers for not taking the vaccine to protect their patients and residents. The vaccine doesn't prevent transmission. You won't fully protect your patients by taking the vaccine. Going on the current research you might reduce the chance of transmitting it by 33%. If anyone was to listen to this pair this morning they'd be thinking they can ease off on the measures put in place to prevent transmission as they are now vaccinated. The main reason for vaccinating healthcare workers is so that we have less of them out sick with Covid, not to prevent transmission.

pre recorded, thou Ciara did not interrupt her, unlike when she was talking to Paul Reid earlier.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Some of the statements from Ciara Kelly this morning are dangerous. Shaming healthcare workers for not taking the vaccine to protect their patients and residents. The vaccine doesn't prevent transmission. You won't fully protect your patients by taking the vaccine. Going on the current research you might reduce the chance of transmitting it by 33%. If anyone was to listen to this pair this morning they'd be thinking they can ease off on the measures put in place to prevent transmission as they are now vaccinated. The main reason for vaccinating healthcare workers is so that we have less of them out sick with Covid, not to prevent transmission.

Luke O'Neil is on Pat Kenny now and he pointed out that even if you are still transmitting it you are transmitting less. I didn't hear what was said on the show earlier but the responsible thing is for those in nursing homes in healthcare to be vaccinated (the same goes for flu vaccine).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Luke O'Neil is on Pat Kenny now and he pointed out that even if you are still transmitting it you are transmitting less. I didn't hear what was said on the show earlier but the responsible thing is for those in nursing homes in healthcare to be vaccinated (the same goes for flu vaccine).

And how much less. It seems that to date research shows it may be 33% effective in preventing transmission. So I think it's a bad idea to be putting the idea out there that vaccinating yourself as a healthcare worker will protect your patients. There's a very good chance it won't. Vaccinations will hopefully reduce the amount of healthcare workers who are out of work because of Covid which is why they are being targeted first. But it's just wrong to be having a go at healthcare workers and making out that they will be at fault for the death of patients if they don't take the vaccine. Proper use of PPE and other measures put in place to reduce transmission are still most important.

Mr. rent a quote.

Himself and McConkey must be making a fortune from all the media work.

I've even seen Luke brought on to talk about supply chain and logistics issues. Not exactly his field though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Mr. rent a quote.

I've even seen Luke brought on to talk about supply chain and logistics issues. Not exactly his field though.

I used to like Luke’s contributions on the PK show. But the more I listen to him the more I realise that his views are laced with so many ‘maybes’ and ‘mightbes’ and ‘couldbes’ that he’s really saying nothing at all.
    I think Luke is now simply cultivating his public profile and celebrity status. He obviously sees his future as a media personality.

Mr. rent a quote.

He might be Mr Rent a Quote but he is at least not doom and glum NEPHET often are when even when the things are improving all you hear is the negative statistics being highlighted. I prefer to hear about positive developments in vaccines and similar than Tony Holohan digging into the stats to find most depressing ones because he believes he can scare people into compliance.

Also I would assume mr. Rent a Quote knows a bit more on transmission of the virus than you but if you have any actual insight it would nice to hear it. It's funny how school union officials now seem to consider themselves authority on Covid and ard able to easily dismiss those who work in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ciara just now audibly sighing at a professor from UCD calling for a zero covid Ireland and asking him shouldn’t we be listening to the advice of the govt and NPHET instead? This from the same woman who for months has openly and loudly disagreed with the decisions of both. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ciara and Quinny for sportschat now, two sports experts if ever there were two.
    Quinny reading from Wikipedia again :rolleyes:, it’s hilariously bad. I wonder who writes Ciara’s questions for this segment? A few “look it”s from Quinny as well to add to the general amateurishness of it.

This segment certainly won’t be winning any IMRO Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This show is my early morning equivalent to Lavhline and is worse everytime I listen to it. What is Coleman's obsession with the Irish language this morning? If I want that ****e I would be on Radio na Gaeltacht - as for his pronunciation of Burma....:rolleyes:

Forgot to mention the 'Quinny'/Ciara sports segment .........Jeez, a train wreck that you just can't switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I can't understand how the programme is surviving.....it surely must be declining in ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

She wanted predicted grades for last years Leaving Cert, but wants a traditional exam for this years students who've had far greater interruption and the country will probably still have comparable infection rates come the summer. I wonder what the difference is this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

Azatadine wrote: »
    I can't understand how the programme is surviving.....it surely must be declining in ratings?

Switched to RTÉ radio 1 a few months back, news talk breakfast has become painful to listen to.

She wanted predicted grades for last years Leaving Cert, but wants a traditional exam for this years students who've had far greater interruption and the country will probably still have comparable infection rates come the summer. I wonder what the difference is this year?

Her daughter isn't involved this year.

Schools should be reopened by then? I think teachers are complaining they don't have enough information to predict grades. More time lost also means more likely and actual predictive grade will be pulled out of a backside.

I don't know what she said before but for me it was mistake not to run LC last year and it will be mistake this year. However all this points out how messed up secondary level system in Ireland is. For comparison we were graded every therm, all therms and subjects had to be positive to progress to next year (you had chances to retake tests). I don't agree with that kind of pressure for primary schools and think Irish approach is much better for younger kids. However nannying older kids till last year and then putting them under huge pressure is ridiculous. Still without any proper continuous assessment an exam at the end is the fairest option although it might need to be amended a bit.

Predictive grades will disadvantage average kids in good schools. It might be social justice warrior's idea of leveling the social differences but I don't think it's that easy and sooner or later lack of basic knowledge will be exposed by those whose grades were overly generous.

Schools should be reopened by then? I think teachers are complaining they don't have enough information to predict grades. More time lost also means more likely and actual predictive grade will be pulled out of a backside.

I don't know what she said before but for me it was mistake not to run LC last year and it will be mistake this year. However all this points out how messed up secondary level system in Ireland is. For comparison we were graded every therm, all therms and subjects had to be positive to progress to next year (you had chances to retake tests). I don't agree with that kind of pressure for primary schools and think Irish approach is much better for younger kids. However nannying older kids till last year and then putting them under huge pressure is ridiculous. Still without any proper continuous assessment an exam at the end is the fairest option although it might need to be amended a bit.

Predictive grades will disadvantage average kids in good schools. It might be social justice warrior's idea of leveling the social differences but I don't think it's that easy and sooner or later lack of basic knowledge will be exposed by those whose grades were overly generous.

Ciara Kelly demanded predictive grades last year for LC students, it was one of her mini-crusades. She mentioned this repeatedly on-air and in print, I’m really surprised you say you “don’t know what she said before”? The fact she had skin in the game (her daughter) obviously influenced her position on this, whether subconsciously or not.

However now her daughter is finished with the LC Ciara is now calling for students to sit the exams. One could legitimately argue this year’s LC class are at even more of a disadvantage than last years as their education was interrupted in both 5th and 6th year whereas last year’s class were affected from March - June only. As well as being completely hypocritical and contradictory, there’s an awful whiff of entitled parenting about this position.

Ciara Kelly demanded predictive grades last year for LC students, it was one of her mini-crusades. She mentioned this repeatedly on-air and in print, I’m really surprised you say you “don’t know what she said before”? The fact she had skin in the game (her daughter) obviously influenced her position on this, whether subconsciously or not.

However now her daughter is finished with the LC Ciara is now calling for students to sit the exams. One could legitimately argue this year’s LC class are at even more of a disadvantage than last years as their education was interrupted in both 5th and 6th year whereas last year’s class were affected from March - June only. As well as being completely hypocritical and contradictory, there’s an awful whiff of entitled parenting about this position.

It might surprise you at that time in the morning I'm often out for a run and don't listen to the whole show. So I don't overly know what she said and neither I particularly care. I also don't read the Indo very often. Secondly I suspect an awful lot of middle class kids would do better with actual lc than predictive grades. I'm not sure her family exactly benefited from that but keep up with the outrage.

As for this year's students if you think it's fair teachers grade something they have very little information about (no mocks etc) then fine. I think teachers guessing what kids should get without much concrete information is extremely unfair. I would have no problem teachers assessing kids going through test results, percentages scored and how they did in comparison to school mates. However the fact they lost large chunks of both years there is serious lack of information. As someone who was continuously assessed from the first day of school I think last years mess was very unfair and this years predictive grades would be even more.

BTW It's surprising that union head thanked your post. ASTI position is a lot closer to mine than yours. It might be that you both just want to be outraged about Ciara and don't really care what would be the fairest solution. If she says black you will say white. Which is fine just not very intelligent.

• Advertisement

It might surprise you at that time in the morning I'm often out for a run and don't listen to the whole show. So I don't overly know what she said and neither I particularly care. I also don't read the Indo very often. Secondly I suspect an awful lot of middle class kids would do better with actual lc than predictive grades. I'm not sure her family exactly benefited from that but keep up with the outrage.

As for this year's students if you think it's fair teachers grade something they have very little information about (no mocks etc) then fine. I think teachers guessing what kids should get without much concrete information is extremely unfair. I would have no problem teachers assessing kids going through test results, percentages scored and how they did in comparison to school mates. However the fact they lost large chunks of both years there is serious lack of information. As someone who was continuously assessed from the first day of school I think last years mess was very unfair and this years predictive grades would be even more.

BTW It's surprising that union head thanked your post. ASTI position is a lot closer to mine than yours. It might be that you both just want to be outraged about Ciara and don't really care what would be the fairest solution. If she says black you will say white. Which is fine just not very intelligent.

What outrage? My post was perfectly polite. You however have once again resorted to personal and snide comments.

I do find it hard however to believe that you completely missed Ciara's campaigning on this issue from Jan - June of last year (and subsequent mentions of it since then), however little you manage to hear of her show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement