Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

Mod - 2 bans, a 2 week & a 2 day, issued on foot on today's incivility. As for everybody else, as my Co-Mod says please report posts rather than respond negatively to posts as it only feeds the beast of incivility and raises the temperature. Otherwise, be advised infractions etc may be applied. Let cool heads prevail.

Mod - It might be an idea to consider using the useful "Ignore" option which is available when you click on a poster. That way you do not see what a person might be posting if it has been found to be "triggering". It is something I have used myself in my pre-mod days. In all honesty, for the thread to survive this could really be a worthwhile option. In the meantime we will be keeping an eye on things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Lively debate - Lol! Ciara Kelly loses the plot in an unbelievable rant about civil liberties and Shane Coleman coming across as being sane...train wreck broadcasting at its best. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Haven't listened to the show in quite a while but used to almost daily - I'm staggered today listening to Shane Coleman however... he is vocally supportive to everything the government are doing and absolutely not entertaining any other viewpoint; himself and Ciara Kelly nearly falling into an open argument as he reckons there's no medium to long-term problems with the current restrictions (with regards to the Human Rights report today)! Has he been like this for the last few months on air because I certainly couldn't listen to it every day!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Lively debate - Lol! Ciara Kelly loses the plot in an unbelievable rant about civil liberties and Shane Coleman coming across as being sane...train wreck broadcasting at its best. :D

Does she actually believe what she is saying ? or is it just put on ? Not well in the head if she believes all that.

• Advertisement

Britain has a road map to be back to normal by mid June (might be unrealistic , but hopefully not) , so we should not be far behind them. Not sure why she was getting so upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Well Shane Coleman will always support FG. Very clearly angling for a job when Leo takes over as Taoiseach again.

Heard something garbled there about Newstalk being sold?? Ciara quipped something about getting her coat.......:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭SteM

Heard something garbled there about Newstalk being sold?? Ciara quipped something about getting her coat.......:D:D

Communicorp been sold to a German media group subject to regulatory approval apparently.

they did seemed a bit shocked by the whole thing about Communicorp being sold to a German company. Denis didn't ring Ciara to discuss it firstly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

2smiggy wrote: »
    Does she actually believe what she is saying ? or is it just put on ? Not well in the head if she believes all that.

totally put on sure she giggled just after it. but im sure there are many idiots agreeing with her which is what they want, reactions. Gutter "journalism".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Haven't listened to the show in quite a while but used to almost daily - I'm staggered today listening to Shane Coleman however... he is vocally supportive to everything the government are doing and absolutely not entertaining any other viewpoint; himself and Ciara Kelly nearly falling into an open argument as he reckons there's no medium to long-term problems with the current restrictions (with regards to the Human Rights report today)! Has he been like this for the last few months on air because I certainly couldn't listen to it every day!?

He’s just mirroring what the majority of the people in this country think.

Sure, there is a, very, vocal minority who think this is all an evil plot to enslave the population and “de gubbermint” are merely a pawn in this. But the rest of us are happy to play our part, keep our distance and weather out the storm. Together.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    totally put on sure she giggled just after it. but im sure there are many idiots agreeing with her which is what they want, reactions. Gutter "journalism".

Things are tense enough at the moment without her adding petrol to the fire. Very irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

We can,but hope ;)

He’s just mirroring what the majority of the people in this country think.

Sure, there is a, very, vocal minority who think this is all an evil plot to enslave the population and “de gubbermint” are merely a pawn in this. But the rest of us are happy to play our part, keep our distance and weather out the storm. Together.

Really? You dont speak for me or most of my family and friends at this stage. People are sick to death of restrictions and a gormless government , the general, mostly compliant, long suffering public, getting blamed for absolutely everything that's gone wrong....... a year down the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I wonder will Bauer order up some prison Shankings

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

872137.jpg?b64lines=IFdlIHJlZ3JldCB0byBhbm5vdW5jZSB0aGUKIGZvbGxvd2luZyBsYXlvZmZzIHdoaWNoIEkKIHdpbGwgcmVhZCBpbiBhbHBoYWJldGljYWwKIG9yZGVyLgoKCgoKCktlbGx5LCBDaWFyYS4gClRoYXQgaXMgYWxs

• Registered Users Posts: 9 R.odders999

Anyone else ever notice that when Shane is doing a somber slot he does this thing where he repeats the same word 3 or 4 times in a row in every sentence as if he's trying to portray that the topic being discussed as having such an effect on him that he's struggling to ask the questions?

I've noticed it quite a lot recently and it's always in the misery segment, he has no such issues when talking about what's the best flavour crisp or any of the other ****e they go on about most mornings.

So this morning they were going to an ad break and he said up next we discuss why men should grieve properly over the death of a child. I was going to turn it off because I didn't really need to hear that discussion at 8.40am on the way in to work but I thought I'd listen to the first few minutes of it just to see if he started the insincere stuttering again.

And off he goes -

"what you went through is is, what you say, every parents worst worst nightmare"

"you encountered some some some difficulties".

and on he went in that vein before I switched off.

I don't think he does this in every interview but I certainly notice it every time he's talking about death or loss and it comes across as so put on and insincere.

Keep an ear out for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Really? You dont speak for me or most of my family and friends at this stage. People are sick to death of restrictions and a gormless government , the general, mostly compliant, long suffering public, getting blamed for absolutely everything that's gone wrong....... a year down the road!!

So what exactly do you want them to do...wave a magic wand I'd say.Everybody is finding it tough but remember how quickly we went to thousands of cases per day following pressure to relax at Christmas.If you're cool with the consequences of widespread infection that's fine ..it's a position ...but at least be honest about it

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Approx what time was this at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Mr. rent a quote.

Himself and McConkey must be making a fortune from all the media work.

I've even seen Luke brought on to talk about supply chain and logistics issues. Not exactly his field though.

How much on average do these experts get for a 10 min interview on radio by phone ? Not just Covid but Terry Prone, David Mc Williams etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Ish66 wrote: »
    How much on average do these experts get for a 10 min interview on radio by phone ? Not just Covid but Terry Prone, David Mc Williams etc ?

I've always wondered the same, like o'neill anf crew must be on speed dial !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Luke had a slot pre-pandemic, but now has two slots and his own podcast with them.

Somebody must know :confused:

This is BBC radio rates for freelancers. About £64 sterling + an extra £32 if its the middle of the night your end. Not bad, I would wake up for a few mins in the middle of the night to earn a ton :D

Production - day rate, experienced * GBP 240.00
    Producer / Director day - experienced * GBP 230.00
    Assistant producer day - experienced * GBP 186.00
    Researching - day rate * GBP 171.00
    Production - day rate, minimum * GBP 140.00
    Junior researcher day - minimum * GBP 80.00
    Guest or expert appearances (3-4 min on-air) * GBP 64.00
    Disturbance fee for appearing on early or late programmes * GBP 32.00

Source...http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.php?section=Broadcasting&subsect=BBC+and+national+TV

Think it was not long before the 8 am news

southstar wrote: »
    So what exactly do you want them to do...wave a magic wand I'd say.Everybody is finding it tough but remember how quickly we went to thousands of cases per day following pressure to relax at Christmas.If you're cool with the consequences of widespread infection that's fine ..it's a position ...but at least be honest about it

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-strong-support-for-reopening-society-as-soon-as-possible-1.4495298

seems like the majority of people in Ireland want restrictions ended as soon as possible , society returned to some kind of normal , as soon as over 70's and vulnerable vaccinated. Only a minority favour longer restrictions . Just 14% said they would not get vaccinated. Best news. History will look back on this as a huge over-reaction. Its gone on too long.

Apologies for going off topic, there are other threads for this I know. Cheers , time to enjoy some positivity! :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-strong-support-for-reopening-society-as-soon-as-possible-1.4495298

seems like the majority of people in Ireland want restrictions ended as soon as possible , society returned to some kind of normal , as soon as over 70's and vulnerable vaccinated. Only a minority favour longer restrictions . Just 14% said they would not get vaccinated. Best news. History will look back on this as a huge over-reaction. Its gone on too long.

Apologies for going off topic, there are other threads for this I know. Cheers , time to enjoy some positivity! :)

Looking back on it as a huge under reaction would probably be a lot worse thou

Right at the start of the show after the 7am news...https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Right at the start of the show after the 7am news...https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

She was completely out of control. Ranting and raving like a lunatic making little sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement