Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Daith wrote: »
    And that our taxes are a fraction of how we fund our water infrastructure which is mainly by borrowing millions.

Anyway. What are you hoping to achieve by protesting?
    By not paying thru the nose to pay off loans I don't have, by not paying the wages of those that have been given a free ride and job they don't deserve in IW, is that good enough answer for you? Or do you want more?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Tony EH wrote: »
    The vast, vast majority of people who find themselves in receipt of social welfare do so, through no fault of their own at all and would be more than delighted to be off of it in the morning and back into full time employment.

Jesus. Somebody asked me who didn't pay taxes. I picked one and now it's turned into "oh no you can't say them, choose another target".

When I was on social welfare, I paid for my ESB and mobile phone. I don't see why I wouldn't pay for water either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm asking people who are protesting cos I have no idea.

There's three bleedin threads already on Boards.ie that have plenty of content on why people are protesting.

Pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

There's three bleedin threads already on Boards.ie that have plenty of content on why people are protesting.

Pay attention.

I am and it still doesn't make sense. What do you actually want?

You to stop asking silly questions when, if you have read thru the thread you would know the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its not an attitude its simple fact, anyone whos on social welfare technically doesnt really pay tax themselves due to their income being from social welfare which is paid for by everyone elses taxes. Essentially my taxes pay for their taxes.

Its a harsh way to look at it but its still how the system works.

Also again since the income tax take far exceeds any other form of taxation the original argument is invalid since just beacuse people pay VAT and other indirect taxes those payments dont come anywhere near paying for the essentials services like water and other government provided infrastructure they use. So everyone who pays income tax is effectively subsidising not only their income with social welfare but also the other direct taxes they dont pay.

Again not belittling here its simple facts

what is PRSI for then ?

You're facts are my toilet roll.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So, scrap the dole yeh...aren't ya just great.

:rolleyes:

Yeah thats exactly what I said....... if you cant have an logical argument with someone reduce yourself to putting words in their mouth, great tactic that will win you a lot of populist support all right.

Yeah thats exactly what I said....... if you cant have an logical argument with someone reduce yourself to putting words in their mouth, great tactic that will win you a lot of populist support all right.

Saying the word 'Fact' does not make your post logical btw.

listermint wrote: »
    what is PRSI for then ?

You're facts are my toilet roll.

;)

If your trying to make a valid point go ahead and clarify it instead of opting for populist soundbites

If your trying to make a valid point go ahead and clarify it instead of opting for populist soundbites

Well see i already quoted you above, But you ignored that. So why should i bother?

• Advertisement

Saying the word 'Fact' does not make your post logical btw.

Okay poke holes in my logic id be happy to admit im wrong.

please scroll up to post 3577

I wont be assisting you in this matter you have fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

You said that someone on Social Welfare doesnt really pay Tax, and that was a fact.

Have you read your own posts?
    Just look at the last 2-3 replys
    To yours to get an idea.

Edit :dammit I was beaten to itby 2 other posters

Fuhrer wrote: »
    You said that someone on Social Welfare doesnt really pay Tax, and that was a fact.

Yes they pay any tax like VAT and car tax with their social welfare payment which comes from other tax payers, so other people are effectively paying their taxes.

Yes they pay any tax like VAT and car tax with their social welfare payment which comes from other tax payers, so other people are effectively paying their taxes.
    Ok, soo.. When someone ends up on the dole... Dont You get it?! Ffs

please scroll up to post 3577

I wont be assisting you in this matter you have fingers.

Seriously im not sure the point you are making and id like you to explain, are you gonna have that big a chip on your shoulder that just cus I disagree with you, you wont provide new info that might change my opinion?

Seriously im not sure the point you are making and id like you to explain, are you gonna have that big a chip on your shoulder that just cus I disagree with you, you wont provide new info that might change my opinion?
    Clear and simple! People pay stamps, it entitles them to payments! Do you understand?!

deco nate wrote: »
    Clear and simple! People pay stamps, it entitles them to payments! Do you understand?!

What do they pay for the stamps with? Where does that money come from?

From working before being layed off. Dont be a dick.
    Edit :it was called stamps back in my day, ie prsi stamps
    If something happens to you, you are entitled to money of the government.
    How can you not know this??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Hes making the point unemployed people pay taxes like VAT on things and car tax and other in direct taxes using the social welfare money that other people pay taxes to provide them.

Another one who has never heard of PRSI.
    Here's a clue as to what it means, Pay Related Social Insurance.

i.e, a person who has worked for years pays PRSI from their wages each week/month so when or if they become unemployed they get a weekly payment from the taxes they've contributed.

See...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Like Civil Servants?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

Joshua J wrote: »
    Like Civil Servants?.

The private sector pays them and their PS mates.

At this stage I think people are just jumping in an know f all what they are talking about, really! I mean who doesn't know about prsi!?
    And yet they want to debate water charges!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Are you really that ignorant or are you just trolling?

Unless of course they were only recently made unemployed and have contributed significant PRSI over the years.

The point you claimed was "Fact" was in actuality, an opinion and in lots of cases, demonstrably false

Are you really that ignorant or are you just trolling?
    The latter i fear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

During the boom we had near full employment,Attacking the dolers aint cutting it for me,I dont buy into stereo types with the exclusion of FG supporters of course.

Pocoyo wrote: »
    During the boom we had near full employment,Attacking the dolers aint cutting it for me,I dont buy into stereo types with the exclusion of FG supporters of course.

I didnt buy into Stereo Types either until I got this great Wireless system from Bose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Read the threads. It's quite clear...if you're really that interested.

;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement