Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Are you seriously telling me one in five children are sleeping with no roof over their head, no access to education, no food to eat, no tvs in their houses, I could go on.

What's your definition of poverty?

Lack suitable clothing,going to bed hungry a secure home, unicef finds that 1 in 10 are living in poverty is that an acceptable number to you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Lack suitable clothing,going to bed hungry a secure home, unicef finds that 1 in 10 are living in poverty is that an acceptable number to you??

Suitable clothing?

So one in five of our kids aren't dressed properly, what does that even mean?

I think those reasons are pure hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

1 in 10 is 10% not 20% as under video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

God I'm losing the will to live - cant believe people still dont understand why people might want to protest.......... after weeks and weeks of this thread and how many pages of posts explainiing why?
    How lazy are some posters here. Its kinda killing this thread to be honest.......... grrrr:mad:

Agree.

To summarise once more for those who dont get it :

- Ireland has a lot of pretty dim people
    - They like to moan about their government even though they are totally unqualified and without experience to offer a worthwhile opinion
    - They exchange adminstrations most elections in the deluded hope that re-electing a similar bunch of assorted school teachers, civil servants, lawyers, pantomime 'characters', and small town gombeens will do something different because their party name is different (or they dont have one at all) and they have different colour posters on lamp posts.
    - Because they spent 10 years over spending and managing their country badly, and now that they have to pay the bill, they want to blame somebody
    - in a herd mentality lately, they all got the idea that if they protest, and just 'do something', then they will get an earlier chance than usual to switch governments, live for a year or two with a little more hope, until the illusion shatters, and then get impatient to repeat the same process yet again
    - it harmless really. Beneficial in a way, in that it lets them blow off a bit of steam and feel as if they are playing a role in democracy.

Its pretty simple to understand.

Suitable clothing?

So one in five of our kids aren't dressed properly, what does that even mean?

I think those reasons are pure hyperbole.

Intact shoes winter jackets etc...LACK OF FOOD!!

Blinded to reality lol,I dont think you should be commenting on such matters.

You should worry about the 3rd world,if you work as i you should be comforted that our state gave 600m of tax payers money to the 3rd world yet left our children hungry and cold....good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

naughtb4 wrote: »
    1 in 10 is 10%

You cant argue with statistics !

You cant argue with statistics !

Ireland ranks 37th out of 41 countries in a report measuring relative changes in child poverty published today by Unicef.
    The report examines the impact of the economic crisis on child well-being in rich nations and ranks 41 countries in the OECD and EU according to whether levels of child poverty have increased or decreased since 2008.
    The child poverty rate as measured by Eurostat rose from 18 per cent to 28.6 per cent in the five year period, corresponding to a net increase of more than 130,000 poor children in Ireland.

Ireland ranks 37th out of 41 countries in a report measuring relative changes in child poverty published today by Unicef.
    The report examines the impact of the economic crisis on child well-being in rich nations and ranks 41 countries in the OECD and EU according to whether levels of child poverty have increased or decreased since 2008.
    The child poverty rate as measured by Eurostat rose from 18 per cent to 28.6 per cent in the five year period, corresponding to a net increase of more than 130,000 poor children in Ireland.

130,000 children haven't enough food??

They must have visited each household to find this out alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This poverty thing again?

If we think 20% of kids live in poverty in Ireland, well that's an insult to kids in third world famine war thorn countries.

You should learn what the word poverty means

130,000 children haven't enough food??

They must have visited each household to find this out alright.

Get back to your xbox, grown ups are talking. ;)

• Advertisement

Get back to your xbox, grown ups are talking. ;)

Sorry I can't afford an Xbox, does this mean I live in poverty??

You can keep the little digs coming btw, love seen people resort to that behaviour!!

You should learn what the word poverty means

I just looked up numerous definitions and it has cconvinced me more than ever that one in five kids in this country most definitely do not live in poverty.

Those unable to afford to replace worn-out furniture (13.8% in 2007, 24.5% in 2012).

This is my favourite from the list of reasons for children living in poverty!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I just looked up numerous definitions and it has cconvinced me more than ever that one in five kids in this country most definitely do not live in poverty.

Well yes. But the one out of the remaining four are.

Im not sure if You realise how ignorant your posts are coming across.

Please please go help out at focus Ireland or St vincents de Paul or the capuchin monks.

You need a serious wake up call from behind your Google keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

TheChizler wrote: »
    Yes, because home burglers are likely to have and be able to operate, the as of yet inexistant equipment required to crack AES encryption, rather than look at the actual meter reading, or even in the windows of the house.

If the encryption exists then someone out there will be trying to crack it, it is naive of you to think otherwise. Meters are subject to data attacks and here we have Irish Water who didn't even hire a data protection officer until very recently. What confidence should people have in this one person that the data contained in 1.6 million meters is safe and secure from being intercepted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

There's real poverty in Ireland and people are suffering, including thousands of children. Successive govts have sold us down the river and while it's great to see people protesting en-masse now, it's probably seven years too late to save a generation of Irish people.

"Cork Penny Dinners – one of Ireland’s oldest food kitchens, dating back to the
    Famine, is feeding 1,400 people per week, up 55 per cent in a year. Before the
    recession, the figure was around 140 a week."
    http://www.mandate.ie/Documents/104355_food_poverty_document4.pdf

"Children were going to school hungry, Independent TD Joan Collins told the Dáil. “They are arriving at crèches with doughnuts or chocolate bars because that is what is on offer in the local shops,’’ she added. She said some 729 children in 400 Dublin families had lost the roof over their heads, with families forced to live in hotel rooms."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/hungry-children-a-damning-indictment-of-system-says-joan-collins-1.1998504

A NEW STUDY commissioned by the Department of Social Protection has revealed that 10 per cent of the Irish population has been living in food poverty.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/study-10-per-cent-of-irish-population-living-in-food-poverty-636917-Oct2012/

"In 2012, 9.9% of children (aged 0-17) continued to live in consistent poverty, up from 9.3% in 2011. This equates to one in 10 children. Consistent poverty means that these children are living in households with incomes below 60% of the national median income and experiencing deprivation based on the agreed 11 deprivation indicators. This can mean going 24 hours without a substantial meal or being cold because parents are unable to afford to heat the home."
    http://www.barnardos.ie/assets/files/Advocacy/2011-09-All-You-Need-Is-Summary.pdf

listermint wrote: »
    Well yes. But the one out of the remaining four are.

Im not sure if You realise how ignorant your posts are coming across.

Please please go help out at focus Ireland or St vincents de Paul or the capuchin monks.

You need a serious wake up call from behind your Google keyboard.

You know what you could be right. I may well be wrong but I just don't see anything like those stats suggest in society.

But I could be wrong and i hold my hands up if I am.

Whatever

I'll take the word of various professional and charitable groups tasked with dealing with poverty, over that of some randomer on the internet who doesn't even appear to understand what poverty is

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If we think 20% of kids live in poverty in Ireland, well that's an insult to kids in third world famine war thorn countries.

Thats not the way poverty is measured, poverty is relaitve. The fact you can buy a loaf of bread in Malawi for 20c is no use to the many Irish children who go to bed hungry under this Fine Gael government because you can't buy that same loaf of bread for 20c here. The fact that you can buy bread in Malawi for 20c is also no use to the children there when their parents struggle to earn a few dollars a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

The indicators used by barnardos are:

- Three balanced meals each day with fruit/vegetables and meat/fish

- Enough of the right clothes for different seasons, e.g. a coat to keep warm and dry in winter

- Separate bed and bedding of their own

- Own books for reading for fun

- Food and drinks for friends when they call
    over to play

- Own money for school activities or days out

- Family holiday once a year (can be in
    Ireland or abroad)

- Day out with family at least twice a year
    (e.g. go to beach, fun fair, leisure centres)

- Visit to a restaurant for a family meal at
    least twice a year

- A bank, post office or Credit Union account
    to save money
    !"
    - Shops close to home (e.g. food shops,
    clothes shops or chemist)

- A trip to the library

• Advertisement

kyote00 wrote: »

- Enough of the right clothes for different seasons, e.g. a coat to keep warm and dry in winter

over to play

Ireland or abroad)

least twice a year

to save money
    !"

- A trip to the library
    This is kind of what I'm getting at.

Those reasons are absurd for claiming people live in poverty.

I understand there is many people scraping by, but one in five in poverty I just can't believe.

over to play

Ireland or abroad)

least twice a year

to save money
    !"

- A trip to the library

My kids were very deprived so. They only had 5 of that list, yet I feel we did our best for them. They were never hungry, dirty or cold.

This is kind of what I'm getting at.

Those reasons are absurd for claiming people live in poverty.

I understand there is many people scraping by, but one in five in poverty I just can't believe.

It seems you and Mary need to go to focus this Christmas and get a taste for the waffle you are spouting and thanking.

Just because you don't see it in your cocooned existence.

Seriously can't believe you are saying there isn't children living in poverty. There is alot of it countrywide and no poverty doesn't mean you gave to live in a mud shack and walk 8 miles to. Collect water.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

"Children were going to school hungry, Independent TD Joan Collins told the Dáil. “They are arriving at crèches with doughnuts or chocolate bars because that is what is on offer in the local shops,’’ she added. She said some 729 children in 400 Dublin families had lost the roof over their heads, with families forced to live in hotel rooms."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/hungry-children-a-damning-indictment-of-system-says-joan-collins-1.1998504

The local shops don't sell cornflakes and milk!

When did this thread stop being about water charges anyway?

This thread has turned dark. Very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,014 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That makes it alright so.

FFS.

...and spare me your cocodile tears for poor kids in "third world famine war thorn countries".

Like you give a fück.

:pac:

It seems you and Mary need to go to focus this Christmas and get a taste for the waffle you are spouting and thanking.

Just because you don't see it in your cocooned existence.

Seriously can't believe you are saying there isn't children living in poverty. There is alot of it countrywide and no poverty doesn't mean you gave to live in a mud shack and walk 8 miles to. Collect water.

Ignorance is bliss.
    If you read what I said instead of going off on one you will see I said I could be wrong and I never once said there is no kids living in poverty, I said I don't believe its one in five.

So please don't put up false accusations please.

Those aren't indicators of poverty and Barnardos doesn't use them as such.

You're either just mistaken or deliberately trying to mislead others.
    this child-specific deprivation index provides some insight into what childhood deprivation means for children themselves beyond the more general items that deprived households are forced to go without

http://www.barnardos.ie/media-centre/news/latest-news/irelands-measures-of-poverty-do-not-reflect-childrens-experience-of-poverty-and-deprivation-barnardos-and-the-society-of-st-vincent-de-paul.html

If you read what I said instead of going off on one you will see I said I could be wrong and I never once said there is no kids living in poverty, I said I don't believe its one in five.

So please don't put up false accusations please.

How are you informed of this and how did you come to your conclusion. Please forgive me for my disbelief.

Do you have some education or working experience in the area.

Its pretty incredible that you have completely ignored actual facts from various completely independent organisations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Seriously can't believe you are saying there isn't children living in poverty.
    He didn't say that at all. Not remotely.
    Ignorance is bliss.
    As long as you're happy....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement