Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Sure why do they need registration packs at all now they've decided on a flat rate for all with a SW bribe thrown in?
    Come to think of it, why are they spending hundreds of millions of our money on meters at all?
    FG's e-voting machines, buried in the ground......

I wish they would bury them because we're paying to store them somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Why didn't you stop and ask?
    How would anyone on here know?

Well this is one of the rare occasions that someone on this forum has acknowledged that they don't have all the answers. Maybe there's a slight chance that someone on here lives in the area. Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Caliden wrote: »
    I wish they would bury them because we're paying to store them somewhere.

No we aren't they were sold in 2012.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/54m-voting-machines-scrapped-for-9-each-26870212.html
    THE Government has sold the infamous €54m e-voting machines for scrap -- for €9.30 each.

A huge fleet of trucks will begin removing the 7,500 machines from 14 locations on Monday.

They will be taken to a Co Offaly recycling company, KMK Metals Recycling Ltd in Tullamore, where they will be stripped down and shredded.

Ironically, the owner of the firm, Kurt Kyck, cast his vote on one of the machines in the 2002 elections. He has now paid €70,000 for the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭shinzon

Slightly off topic but found this amusing considering its more spin from the government, with much fanfare a 10 point plan for health was introduced yesterday, one of the provisions was that gps could now reinstate medical cards, but doing a bit of digging you actually find that that power has been actually in place since 2012

"The provision was made under an agreement between the Health Service Executive and the Irish Medical Organisation reached in 2012"

Even RTE are reporting on it for a change

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1126/662661-medical-cards/

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

3% of the population marched. THEY do not represent the other 97%

where do you get your figures from? its a lot higher than that. There were 3 protests in different towns in County limerick alone last Saturday that I know of. There were probably more. I couldn't even say what was happening in other counties on the same day. It's way higher than 3 percent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

falan wrote: »
    where do you get your figures from? its a lot higher than that. There were 3 protests in different towns in County limerick alone last Saturday that I know of. There were probably more. I couldn't even say what was happening in other counties on the same day. It's way higher than 3 percent.

But.... But.... Spin doctors....
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

gladrags wrote: »
    Murphy has not been charged with any law breaking.

Although Ray Burke and Callely come to mind,for appropriate comparisons.

"Terrible decisions"

Treason,might be more descriptive

No it wouldn't. It's not even remotely accurate. This is treason by the definition of the Constitution
    treason shall consist only in levying war against the State, or assisting any State or person or inciting or conspiring with any person to levy war against the State, or attempting by force of arms or other violent means to overthrow the organs of government established by the Constitution, or taking part or being concerned in or inciting or conspiring with any person to make or to take part or be concerned in any such attempt.

Now who has been calling for the overthrow of the government and has been using intimidation and violence? Is it Bertie? Or is it the folks who attack government ministers and the state police force?
    deco nate wrote: »
    You alluded to in you're post that the brick thrower was involved in the protests, and in you're next post to me you said that you didn't, do you really think the dpp is gonna link the brick thrower to the protests?!

Confusing to say the least.

I didn't allude to anything of the sort. A poster called what I said lies. I compared his claim to the claims of photoshops for the brick thrower, which turned out to be true.

I don't see why the DPP would need to link the brick thrower to the protests. There's plenty of evidence from the protest itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

shinzon wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but found this amusing considering its more spin from the government, with much fanfare a 10 point plan for health was introduced yesterday, one of the provisions was that gps could now reinstate medical cards, but doing a bit of digging you actually find that that power has been actually in place since 2012

"The provision was made under an agreement between the Health Service Executive and the Irish Medical Organisation reached in 2012"

Shin

we all know how well FG "point plans" work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

shinzon wrote: »

Shin

There was some spin from Leo yesterday ok.
    You'd nearly think they were trying to deflect from something else......

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

"It is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard."

--- Martin Luther King, Jr. (March 1968)

• Advertisement

Why all this talk of a riot. There was NO riot. There were a few idiots in a crowd.

If you want to see what a riot looks like check out what happened in Ferguson the other night, that's what a riot looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

"It is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard."

--- Martin Luther King, Jr. (March 1968)

Did you post this to show your support for the people of Ferguson? Using it in the context of Irish Water is a bit silly, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

gandalf wrote: »
    Why all this talk of a riot. There was NO riot. There were a few idiots in a crowd.

If you want to see what a riot looks like check out what happened in Ferguson the other night, that's what a riot looks like.

Also if you want a bit of perspective ,Poor Joan earned (not including any allowances :pac:) €177.31 (based on a 40hour week ) during her 2 hour ordeal in a comfortable car ,a hell of a lot more than most young unemployed people in this country.

God how she suffered.........

But anyway back to the riots on the streets of our capital....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A lot more than most employed people too.

:/

Well she's paid her water charges with two hours worth of salary. No wonder the politicians in this country don't have a clue about the value of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joan Burton says Labour are getting ready for an election..
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/joan-burton-we-are-preparing-for-possible-election-next-year-30776291.html

Send her a clear message on the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

I didn't mean to suggest that there has been a riot here. And I do know what a riot looks like, thanks --- I found myself in the middle of one, during the anticapitalist protests at the World Bank/IMF Congress in West Berlin in 1988. I was a very naïve 22-year-old, but that experience certainly opened my eyes, particularly to how riots are often provoked by the police.

My point is that robust public protests, and even riots, if they do occur, should not be dismissed as unfounded actions of the feral mob, completely divorced from the actions of govt. The Irish people have been extraordinarily patient these last five years, and if people are pushed to breaking point, the political class needs to take a long hard look at itself and take its blame for the breakdown. Even MLK, the paragon of nonviolence, recognized this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

snubbleste wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/joan-burton-we-are-preparing-for-possible-election-next-year-30776291.html

In 2016....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭shinzon

Daith wrote: »
    In 2016....

Shin

I didn't mean to suggest that there has been a riot here. And I do know what a riot looks like, thanks --- I found myself in the middle of one, during the anticapitalist protests at the World Bank/IMF Congress in West Berlin in 1988. I was a very naïve 22-year-old, but that experience certainly opened my eyes, particularly to how riots are often provoked by the police.

My point is that robust public protests, and even riots, if they do occur, should not be dismissed as unfounded actions of the feral mob, completely divorced from the actions of govt. The Irish people have been extraordinarily patient these last five years, and if people are pushed to breaking point, the political class needs to take a long hard look at itself and take its blame for the breakdown. Even MLK, the paragon of nonviolence, recognized this.

To be honest it wasn't really aimed at you ;)

I don't agree in calling groups of people different classes.

Our politicians promised us reform, it is obvious that serious reform is needed politicially, in the public service, in the health service in our policing service. What Irish Water has done has demonstrated that despite the promises of reform the reality is that the system is continuing on as normal with the usual suspects being rewarded for failure and the taxpayer expected to pick up the tab for this latest super quango setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Aren't they required to have an election in 2016? (if they don't have one sooner)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

R0ot wrote: »
    Aren't they required to have an election in 2016? (if they don't have one sooner)
    Yes, but a general election can be called at any time by the Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Message : "Joan, dont panic. Election is over a year away. The people will realise what a great job you are doing and relect you and your party to government".

Get yisser signs printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yes, but a general election can be called at any time by the Taoiseach.

Yeah but I more mean the implication of the headline "prospect of general election in 2016". Is it not a guarantee again if they don't have one in the next month and 6 days.

EDIT:
    Wait... .I'm an idiot....

Labour won't be the ones to call an early election. They'd be finished if an election was called now or early into the new year. Depending what happens it would be FG that will precipitate calling it. Maybe if there is a heave and Enda gets ousted the new leader might want to gamble and see if they can get a mandate.

gandalf wrote: »
    Well she's paid her water charges with two hours worth of salary. No wonder the politicians in this country don't have a clue about the value of money.

But aren't those in power exempt from. Paying the charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

O Leary the classic man for grabbing headlines. But its hard to argue with anything that he states here.

http://www.thejournal.ie/michael-oleary-irish-water-1800793-Nov2014/
    RYANAIR BOSS MICHAEL O’Leary has labelled Irish Water a “complete mess” as he slammed the government for wasting a “glorious crisis” by hiring more bureaucrats and quangos while it increased taxes.
    The low-cost carrier’s chief executive told a room of business leaders that Job Minister Richard Bruton’s claims the government had shifted its focus towards enterprise were “just more mumbling”.
    “I don’t think the government gets what business needs – what business needs is less government, less bureaucracy and regulation,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

But aren't those in power except from. Paying the charges?

No they. Are not

papu wrote: »
    No they. Are not

What about 2nd dwellings,
    Tax rebate?
    Did I read that wrong?

Ps... Yea I put a full stop in by mistake, thanks for calling me out on that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

But aren't those in power exempt from. Paying the charges?

Yes, the incompetants are overpaid by us via taxes, so therefore they pay for nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement