Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is England '90 in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It makes sense to me that young people that were close 2 years ago are not so close anymore....and also the gang in the kitchen scene were directly involved in the mick situation! Gadget and Harvey don't have jobs or kids either and prefer the oul hot knives and yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

briany wrote: »
    I'm more wondering why Gadget (and maybe Harvey) weren't invited. As it stands now, they're getting Kelly's side of the story more than anything. At least if they were at the dinner, there'd be more opportunity to make their mind up about the whole affair.

I also do think that Combo has genuinely changed. Unfeeling sociopaths don't take the rap for murders they didn't commit, unless they're in a gang or something.

Ah, but we musn't forget that Combo has always been in love with Lol.;) It's very tempting for us all to assume that Combo is a reformed character when all we've really seen is the speech he made to the parole board, which may well just have been a lie, and of course he took the blame for Lol because he loves her. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. One things seems certain though, no happy ending.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

PIORUN wrote: »
    there was rumors of a surprise guest next week. Jack O'Connell was mentioned, as he was in the movie. Possibly that's who Milky could have been talking to !

Yeah that would make sense, I remember him saying in an interview he was in talks to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Ah, but we musn't forget that Combo has always been in love with Lol.;) It's very tempting for us all to assume that Combo is a reformed character when all we've really seen is the speech he made to the parole board, which may well just have been a lie, and of course he took the blame for Lol because he loves her. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. One things seems certain though, no happy ending.:(

We did see him praying on his own in his prison cell. I doubt it's an act. Although in a way it's a pity, he makes a good psycho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I think Combo regretted what he done to Milky instantly after the fact. He actually protected Milky from the other two by glassing one of them.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    We did see him praying on his own in his prison cell. I doubt it's an act. Although in a way it's a pity, he makes a good psycho.
    i don't think he was really praying though...i thought he was clinging onto the cross to take his mind off whatever is in his head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

i don't think he was really praying though...i thought he was clinging onto the cross to take his mind off whatever is in his head

Isn't that kinda what praying is?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    Yeah that would make sense, I remember him saying in an interview he was in talks to return.

Combo turned on him in the film as well, it's a possibility. Would Milky really be saying he loved him down the phone to him though? It wasn't even a 'I love you, man' sort of thing but that whole conversation was very odd......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Ormus wrote: »
    Isn't that kinda what praying is?

Ah, but there's praying and there's praying:D I don't know, I'm not convinced he's a reformed character. It's amazing how many criminals 'find Jesus' in prison, the parole board lapped it up anyway. I wonder if they're planning to put a twist where Milky turns out to be Combo's half-brother? Now that would be a shocker.

Ah, I think there's no doubt he's changed or at least tried to. He looks a broken man and has done since 86, he pleaded with Lol to let him take the rap because he wanted to do 'something good', he's been shown to have embraced an improvement agenda in prison, did his exams, keep his nose clean etc. Big difference from when him and Banjo were inside the previous time. The attack on Milky was as much about jealousy towards Milky's tight knit family and loving upbringing in comparison to Combo's broken home as it was about race. How he might react when he's pushed into a corner is the crux on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

I feel like Combo would have done the same thing for any of the gang, if they were in the same kind of trouble. I saw it as a sacrifice to achieve some sort of redemption for himself. An act of nobility to atone for the act of brutality seen at the end of the film.

briany wrote: »
    I feel like Combo would have done the same thing for any of the gang, if they were in the same kind of trouble. I saw it as a sacrifice to achieve some sort of redemption for himself. An act of nobility to atone for the act of brutality seen at the end of the film.
    didn't he sort of take the rap for woody in the film? Woody introduced him to shaun by saying he took a hit for him and kept him outta prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lolo62 wrote: »
    I didn't think the dinner scene was as great as everyone else here seems to. I'm not sure why but I found myself getting irritated like the actors were being self indulgent or something, well Woody and Lol anyway. I'm a weeper usually buy just found myself wishing the scene would end. The milky stuff was good but Woody and Lol did my head in.. In that scene anyway, and I usually love those two.

totally agree, that scene didn't do it for me.....the acting and the dialogue was completely OTT couldn't make head nor tail of what they were saying half the time had to switch on the subtitles
    lolo62 wrote: »
    Maybe it was just the idea of sitting the fam down to Sunday dinner to tell them you murdered their rapist father felt a bit too far fetched.

yes, it just didn't make sense why tell anyone??? everything was honky dory so why tell ...Lol telling her sister in a one to one would have been better and more believable ..but telling everyone around the dinner table didn't work for me

she told them coz combo was getting out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Milky is gonna box Combo's head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

He's gonna box the face off him!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so? still no reason to rock the boat, they could have easily continued to keep it a secret

nah it just didn't ring true for me ....just done for "drama" purposes i think

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Combo was getting out & coming to stay with them.
    As far as Kelly was concerned, this was the violent man who murdered her father in cold blood, coming to stay with her sisters family. She might have had questions about it.
    Milky needed to be given a reason why the racist psychopath who beat him would be living in close proximity to his mixed-race daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Watched the original last night for the first time in aggges.

Couldn't believe the change in some of the cast, most noticeably Shaun. Two things I picked up on are:

1) Combo did his original bid to protect Woody, this is paralleled later with him taking the rap for Lol in the series.
    2) I struggled to work out Combo's motivation for the Milky beating, he just momentarily flipped out of jealousy to Milky, and the fact that Lol basically broke his heart just before. One interesting thing I picked up on was how Milky mentioned he had a big family, I am now certain he was on the phone to a family member in last weeks episode, explains the motivation and the "I love you" comment.

There's gonna be a showdown and somebody is getting caught in the crossfire, most likely Woody or Lol imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭PIORUN

Big Game wrote: »
    Combo turned on him in the film as well, it's a possibility. Would Milky really be saying he loved him down the phone to him though? It wasn't even a 'I love you, man' sort of thing but that whole conversation was very odd......
    yeah the love you bit sounded more like it was for a partner or family member alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I reckon it's either his dad or one of his uncles. I'm from a big family and wouldn't be accustomed to telling a brother I love him over the phone, never mind a friend.

he could have been just cancelling 5-aside

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭flended12

Perhaps...and it's a massive perhaps...The first series focused on Shaun and maybe it will end with him getting killed (by way of mistake etc) by combo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

fryup wrote: »
    totally agree, that scene didn't do it for me.....the acting and the dialogue was completely OTT couldn't make head nor tail of what they were saying half the time had to switch on the subtitles

yes, it just didn't make sense why tell anyone??? everything was honky dory so why tell ...Lol telling her sister in a one to one would have been better and more believable ..but telling everyone around the dinner table didn't work for me

Hallelujah! I was wondering if I'm getting a bit cynical in my old age. Didn't want to poop the party here by pressing the issue :)

One to one would have been the most realistic and respectful approach and the story line is already intense and hardcore enough without things playing out like that on top of it.
    It just seemed like TII was trying to live up to the hype a bit which is a pity. Characters really don't need to be practically clawing their own skin off for it to be moving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

flended12 wrote: »
    Perhaps...and it's a massive perhaps...The first series focused on Shaun and maybe it will end with him getting killed (by way of mistake etc) by combo?

I think Shaun is based slightly on Meadows so don't see that happening. I think he'll have a happy ending and move off to University.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I've been getting a feeling Shaun is going to join the military, follow his Dad sort-of-thing. Did Meadows spend any time in the army or anything?

Really must give the film another watch, haven't seen it since it came out.

The shows are good but seem to be built around one big dramatic piece.

Edit: Wow I literally flicked through the film there as I don't have time to watch it tonight and it's 100% the same, actors have aged correctly and the film and music feel exactly the same as the show.

After that I really think they are best seen as one piece. I wasn't bothered about re-watching all of it before but I'm sure as hell going to watch it all again now.

Really must give the film another watch, haven't seen it since it came out.

The shows are good but seem to be built around one big dramatic piece.

Edit: Wow I literally flicked through the film there as I don't have time to watch it tonight and it's 100% the same, actors have aged correctly and the film and music feel exactly the same as the show.

After that I really think they are best seen as one piece. I wasn't bothered about re-watching all of it before but I'm sure as hell going to watch it all again now.

Watched the lot of it over the two weeks before 90 started was well worth doing. The narrative is very similar across them all, starts off lighthearted before plunging into dark territory!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I've been getting a feeling Shaun is going to join the military, follow his Dad sort-of-thing. Did Meadows spend any time in the army or anything?

Nope, he did do a acting course which was bought up in 88, it's where he met Paddy Considine for the first time. As you already seen Shaun about to do photography course, which Shane did but dropped out off. I think Shaun will leave town at the end as Shane did to move to Burton, but him joining the military would be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

kleenex at the ready folks its going to be traumatic

Advertisement