Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is England '90 in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

No, I'm fairly sure they haven't crossed paths since the movie.

Thats what I said?:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Buckets of talent every one of them! Johnny Harris still scares the hell out of me. It was nice seeing Shaun getting some good luck and having a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

briany wrote: »
    The dinner table scene was absolutely devastating. Acting doesn't get any better than that for me. It was in fact so good that the rest of the episode just felt a wee bit flat, even the Combo reunion.

I think that Milky should look to forgive Combo. He's not thinking clearly here. What if he gets locked up in connection with Combo's murder? He'll be without his daughter, and her without him. And it was a savage beating that Combo dished out, and it was probably lucky he didn't kill Milky but I don't think he ever truly intended to either, as it was never Milky he hated but his own tortuous upbringing.

I can't blame Milky for how he's feeling, that's the tragic thing. It's not just about him either. It's about his daughter being under the same roof as a man he perceives to be a violent racist.

I'm not sure how it's going to end, Milky and who I assume are his family killing Combo is probably the best outcome in a twisted way. Either that or someone like Lol or Woody will get caught in the crossfire.

Hopefully Kelly and Gadget won't be dumb enough to do something like going to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ruu wrote: »
    Buckets of talent every one of them! Johnny Harris still scares the hell out of me. It was nice seeing Shaun getting some good luck and having a good time.
    Johnny Harris is one of the nicest people on twitter! Absolute gent. scary fu**r when he wants to be though!

phatkev wrote: »
    This is definitely not going to be the case!
    I think it's a feature length episode and the whole gang go to Alton Towers and have the best time!

• Advertisement

Chanel Cresswell ‏@ChanelCresswell 10h10 hours ago

And that glass was thrown with out any one knowing �� sorry @Vicky_McClure .... Good reflex !!
    19 retweets 122 favorites

oh that's so shane!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

spud82 wrote: »
    Thats what I said?:confused::confused:

I was agreeing with you, sorry :)

i actually watched the ads after the kitchen scene needed a few mins to meself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Okay the acting is excellent (Woody the standout), but what has happened in the 3 episodes to-date? Literally nothing.

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Okay the acting is excellent (Woody the standout), but what has happened in the 3 episodes to-date? Literally nothing.
    write shane a letter outlining in detail your views on what he needs to do to be a better writer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

what an episode. jesus christ the dinner scene was outstanding, i think i cried through the entire thing :o
    honestly have never watched anything of this caliber in my life, the acting is second to none. part of me wanted to slap kelly tbh, i mean, "why are you two so special" is the height of stupidity but i understand the poor fcukers head is up her hole with all of it.
    honestly, i thought the dinner scene was just going to be them telling everyone combo was coming home, never even dawned on me that of course they would have to explain why they were having him stay in their house.
    such an emotional episode, when combo got to the house and they all broke down and then the play doh proposal being interrupted over feckin towels! :D
    i am almost sick to my stomach thinking about what the finale will be and i just do not want it to end at all.
    definitely gonna have a look at the movies mentioned here, in love with shane meadows, what an extraordinarily talented man.

I was agreeing with you, sorry :)

No need to say sorry :):)

Next week there is 100 minute episode link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJW_sBRXFVQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

That dinner table scene was one of the best I've ever seen, period. Be it in TV or movies. Was reading some behind the scenes stuff about it as well, shot with 9 cameras in two takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why were Gadget and Harvey excluded from the dinner? The whole point of having the gathering was so all their nearest and dearest would know at the same time. It would make sense if they'd drifted apart, but I don't get that impression, more that they were just living their own lives. However, Shaun was included and that was the first contact I'd seen between him and Woody since '90 began.

briany wrote: »
    Why were Gadget and Harvey excluded from the dinner? The whole point of having the gathering was so all their nearest and dearest would know at the same time. It would make sense if they'd drifted apart, but I don't get that impression, more that they were just living their own lives. However, Shaun was included and that was the first contact I'd seen between him and Woody since '90 began.
    those present have some involvement in the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Outstanding episode. I'm a bit lost as I haven't re watched previous series, so do Gadget and Flip know that Lol was abused? Gadget didn't seem to have much sympathy for her and Kelly hasn't come to terms with being abused by her father so obviously nobody knows she was abused. So lots of secrets and lies to lead to an explosive finale. It looks like Milky is planning to have Combo killed or beaten up by the sound of that phone call and of course after Woody's proposal there'll hardly be a happy ending.

I was doing a bit of research as to what other people thought of this and the digital spy forum made me so angry. They were giving out about the "wooden acting" last night FFS what is wrong with people. The forum is very nasty actually. Glad that I am boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

spud82 wrote: »
    I was doing a bit of research as to what other people thought of this and the digital spy forum made me so angry. They were giving out about the "wooden acting" last night FFS what is wrong with people. The forum is very nasty actually. Glad that I am boards.ie

Surely they meant Woody acting and how great it was.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PunksNotDead
    The actings pretty appalling..
    milkey and shaun are that wooden the could be an extra 2 dining chairs.

Sorry about the crap quality but it is on page 15 here :http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2099332&page=15

have you all seen the movie "Chopper"? there's a scene in the bonus section of the DVD where they show one of the jail scenes, but the camera is on one peripheral actor.....i got that vibe during the kitchen scene...everyone one of them was acting out of their skins whether they were on camera or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Just came across this. A good score can add so much more to a program

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭flended12

Tom Turgoose (Shaun) I think had one line in 20mins of brilliance and you can see tears washing his face. Superb piece by all!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,597 ✭✭✭✭briany

flended12 wrote: »
    Tom Turgoose (Shaun) I think had one line in 20mins of brilliance and you can see tears washing his face. Superb piece by all!

Agreed. I've heard him getting a bit of stick (not much, though) but it reminds me of something I heard which is that acting isn't just about acting, it's also about reacting, and Turgoose's reactions in that scene were spot on. You really feel like you're in his place watching that scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

phatkev wrote: »
    Just came across this. A good score can add so much more to a program

Shane Meadows never fails when it comes to the soundtrack to his shows/movies. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Harvey just randomly popped into my head there. His violent outburst towards Gadget in episode 2 is interesting when you think about it, as it's the first time since the film that we saw signs of the old Harvey, the bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

After half an hour of that, I'm absolutely wrecked! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Harvey just randomly popped into my head there. His violent outburst towards Gadget in episode 2 is interesting when you think about it, as it's the first time since the film that we saw signs of the old Harvey, the bully.

It showed his Dad beating him in 86, I think that was to put some context on his bullying behaviour in 83, the classic kid getting **** at home and then lashing out at kids smaller than him at school. He still obviously has a bit of a temper but he's worked on it and doesn't lose it too often. He was very remorseful not long after the outburst at Gadget in the car, full of apologies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What was I thinking?! I watched this episode to sort of "wind down" before bed and I get *that* dinner scene. Probably the most emotionally devastating scenes that I've seen this year - the sort that you want to end and simultaneously, due to the sheer quality, don't want to. Folks: Let's remember this scene when it comes time to nominate in next year's TV awards!

Season has been getting rapidly darker and cannot see a happy ending at all.

For those who feel nothing's happened, I can only assume they haven't been watching the film or previous seasons because they all had a similar structure. It's about the characters, their situations, their reactions. Superb acting, directing and dialogue with a feeling of reality that few shows can muster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

felt it dragged a little after the dinner scene to be honest. still good though... although there are those who need to curb their enthusiasm towards it, as its very good but does have its faults.
    still looking forward to the final ep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I didn't think the dinner scene was as great as everyone else here seems to. I'm not sure why but I found myself getting irritated like the actors were being self indulgent or something, well Woody and Lol anyway. I'm a weeper usually buy just found myself wishing the scene would end. The milky stuff was good but Woody and Lol did my head in.. In that scene anyway, and I usually love those two.
    Maybe it was just the idea of sitting the fam down to Sunday dinner to tell them you murdered their rapist father felt a bit too far fetched.

Advertisement