Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is England '90 in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

banjo and someone

whilst in the van when combo had his flashback it showed him bottling banjo when he did milky

Wasn't Banjo. Dunno if they were NF lads that he had previous with but definitely wasn't Banjo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

banjo and someone

whilst in the van when combo had his flashback it showed him bottling banjo when he did milky

So...Banjo's like, 'You bottle me, and I kill you and bury you in a shallow grave.'? Seems a bit full on, especially since they seemed to be such great mates in the film and had been through a fair bit in prison by all accounts. One bottling cancels all that out? I dunno. I didn't catch whether it was or was not Banjo, but it seems like slightly weird storytelling if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

Big Game wrote: »
    Don't think that was Meggy at the wedding, didn't the producer say the character died in 1987 between the 86 and 88 series. Thought there was someone who looked like him there, thought it might be his and Trudy's kid initially but he'd not have grown that much in 4 years.

I think it was, his name and the actor's name was on the credits. Plus I think the producer said that tongue in check, didn't seem like a major plot point so they would've been fine to have him back in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

patmac wrote: »
    Brilliant TV, great acting, great storyline fair play to all involved.

That scene in the café was a thing of beauty, Stephen Graham and Andrew Shim should be seen Bafta Nod's coming their way.

How frightening was that scene in the warehouse
    For a character you hated in the film you end feeling sorry for Combo at the end of 90, he probably dies a horrible death
    . I did like that Milky
    Will forever be haunted by it that he knows Combo was sorry
    it doesn't end nicely for him either, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a alcoholic.

I did like that Meggy and Smell got a final scene, when did Smell turn into a bitch :pac: Shaun got a lucky escape and stunning girlfriend out of it. But wasn't she the innocent one and got cheated on. I guess it's fair to say She's not happy Shaun's over it as she clearly wanted him to suffer more. I did like that they actually show that Shaun has grown up a bit (the scene with his mum on the room was sweet plus been nice to Smell's new guy).

My one complaint, I wish Kelly and Gadget got one last scene together at the end, a part of me wanted them to get together :pac: Seen as he's been chasing her throughout the TV series. But I did like Kelly and Lol's scene.

I loved it didn't go anywhere where I was expecting really. Shane Meadow's pulls it off again. Now Shane back to making movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Is combo dead or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

briany wrote: »
    So...Banjo's like, 'You bottle me, and I kill you and bury you in a shallow grave.'? Seems a bit full on, especially since they seemed to be such great mates in the film and had been through a fair bit in prison by all accounts. One bottling cancels all that out? I dunno. I didn't catch whether it was or was not Banjo, but it seems like slightly weird storytelling if it was.

maybe it wasnt him then. If it was he would be killing him for renouncing being in the NF and on orders to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

falan wrote: »
    Is combo dead or what?

I think it's fair to say
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

falan wrote: »
    Is combo dead or what?

I'd say so

Smell basically got lumbered with the goth kid from South Park.

latest?cb=20111203162634

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

Looper007 wrote: »
    My one complaint, I wish Kelly and Gadget got one last scene together at the end, a part of me wanted them to get together :pac: Seen as he's been chasing her throughout the TV series. But I did like Kelly and Lol's scene.

It would have been nice alright, but the point is that Gadget eventually realised that chasing after her was harming his self confidence and ability to grow up and mature, and after the telling off he got from both her and Harvey he is on the path to moving on with his life without her. As nice as it would have been, it wouldn't have made sense. Plus you have to leave Kelly's story open ended, it'd be too easy for her to come in and instantly be sound out to everyone, even if it showed her dancing with Trev and Harvey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

banjo and someone

Banjo was hanging around Milky in 86 as if nothing had ever happened. Correct me if wrong, but pretty sure Banjo held Milky down in the film beating, and was pretty horrid person.

It never made sense why he or Meggy were part of the gang in 86, bar Meadows wanting to give them employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Banjo held Shaun down when Combo was beating Milky up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Not really the ending I was anticipating. That scene with Combo and the NF guys was chilling,
    those screams were haunting and I think the way it was filmed leaving the gore to the imagination conjures up a far more gruesome ending than if they'd gotten graphic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

As far as anti-climax goes, I think you have to remember that TiE is basically about ordinary people, living in a bleak and dreary looking anytown part of England. Oftentimes, events are framed dramatically, but they're really things that happen every day, so for events to be resolved in a low-key way, or for questions to be left unanswered fits in perfectly with the storytelling TiE is trying to do.

Combo's story arc, while sad, did deviate from this a little bit, and represents the biggest plot hole for me, on first viewing anyway. The exchange between Milky and Combo should have been more like,

Milky : Get in the car...

Combo : No!

Milky : Why not?

Combo : Because you and I both know I won't be coming back.

Fair enough if Milky's uncles kicked in Combo's door or something and took him, or those neo-Nazis did it, at least then he might have some chance of not merely vanishing off the face of the Earth to those who care about him. OK, he went quietly, he felt like he deserved it and all that, which made sense until he started screaming for his life. Frankly, if you were in Lol's shoes you'd be more than 'a bit suspicious'.
    ah come on, are you seriously telling us how Shane Meadows should have written the script? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That closing shot of Milky was pretty devastating to be fair..

ah come on, are you seriously telling us how Shane Meadows should have written the script? :eek:

Well, I'm sure Meadows could get the point across infinitely better than I, but the point I was making was that Combo getting into the car with Milky was a bit unrealistic, to me at least. The whole calmly accepting your fate (death in this case) is a bit of a trope. Really, you'd cut and run (f**k off, Milky. I'm not gettin' in that car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Well, I'm sure Meadows could get the point across infinitely better than I, but the point I was making was that Combo getting into the car with Milky was a bit unrealistic, to me at least. The whole calmly accepting your fate (death in this case) is a bit of a trope. Really, you'd cut and run (f**k off, Milky. I'm not gettin' in that car).

Combo knew he was getting a beating one way or another but I don't think he was expecting to die. He accepted getting into the car and knew milky was going to throw a few digs anyways but once milky apologised and started crying, combo knew he was done for.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Forget Combo's whereabouts, does Sean pass the photography course.....stunning piece of television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Really disappointing series, lazy and boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

I think it was fantastic, the first 3 episodes where slow and didn't appear to go anywhere but the final episode was perfect in slotting everything together.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it happens daily in Dublin, so how can it be unrealistic

Milky's situation reminds me of Richard in dead mans shoes " You, you were supposed to be a monster - now I'm the ****1ng beast."

Milky has set combo free and has taken on his burden and it will kill him eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Really disappointing series, lazy and boring.

Sorry for your troubles.

we definitely have not seen the skinheads before ???? I'm stumped on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

It has taken me until now to gather my thoughts on the series.

The finale had my heart in my mouth. I felt for Combo and knew he was a changed man my heart broke for him. Milky was trapped, he had made his family and friends, how had promised him that they would get redemption for him. Even if Milky had forgiven him, you couldn't realistically expect his family and friends to understand it. And when the doors open and you saw who was there, you knew it was over for Combo, they ( former gang members) obviously couldn't accept the way in which Combo had changed and saw it has a betrayal and "ended him"

Shaun, glad he got a happy ending and new girlfriend. I may be in the minority here but Smell always annoyed me. I didn't like them in the film together and she always seemed to boss him in the film and the series and be bitching and moaning.

Woody and Lol, DELIGHTED!! Their love is real. Anyone who thinks otherwise look at the scene from 1988 and you will see how the two of them adore and are so well together. In fairness if you can forgive your girlfriend for having a baby with your best friend you love her.

Milky obviously felt guilty for what has happened to Combo. The way in which he stayed at the bar while everyone else was so sad. It could be reading to much into it but I read it as he didn't feel right celebrating and being happy as he is carrying the guilt with him.

Kelly - So glad she didn't die and is on the road to recovery. She is back where she belongs and hopefully she'll recover

Gadget and Harvey- yyyaa, the two best friends together again. So glad they are back friends they are the dynamic duo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The scene where Chrissy hits Woody's mom, and Woody is there smiling away at the whole thing was top notch. And then the apologies in the bedroom. It was an example of the humour that prevailed throughout the 3 TV series and the film - despite the bleakness and troubles of the character's lives.

I can see how This is England doesnt appeal to the masses. But for me its as good as anything thats been on TV in a long time.

Also nice to see Meadows squeeze so much Stone Roses music into the last show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Panthro wrote: »
    Kelly's a bit of a fcuktard.

Who did the lads in the van drop combo off to?

Heyup, adverts over

I was wondering that, do the man dem outsource their killing to some other gang?.

Seanachai wrote: »
    I was wondering that, do the man dem outsource their killing to some other gang?.
    here ya go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Could he have stopped the killing?, it seemed from what he said that it was a family pride thing and it was out of his hands. He could have forewarned Combo though and he could have moved to Scotland or something. He seemed to have lost out anyway when everybody else appeared to have found some sort of resolution.

Advertisement