Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is England '90 in 2015

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He was a teenager doing a photography course at the local college, it was hardly growing up and making something of his life.
    nah you could see it clearly, when gadget bumped into him with juliette, he was a different shaun, seemed more mature then the others, and the only one with a career in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

It wouldn’t really have fitted in with the story and timeline if he was wearing an Armani suit and a rolex either would it? Not everything needs to be spelled out in black and white.

But he has went from a child clearly without direction, to a young man maturing. He has a future and looks to be on the road to an escape from the vacuum of small town mundane insular thinking mentality, an option that most of the other characters have not got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Poor combo he finally turned his life around and that happens. A proper tragedy

wow I watched ep 1 and 2 on channel four as they were shown. I downloaded 3 and 4 on sunday, what a program, superb, even down to the luduigo what's his face theme tune, just brilliant.

agreed that combo scene was stomach churning stuff.. a very conflicted milky eh!

Yes, I was 18 in '91 and nobody I knew wore dirty clothing.
    you haven't lived!!

anyone that lived in groups of their own age and had no money ...wore dirty clothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus smell became a right **** in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

you haven't lived!!

anyone that lived in groups of their own age and had no money ...wore dirty clothing

Yeah, but Woody was a father of 2 young kids, not some under 25 sharing a house with other under 25 year olds. There's a massive difference between grunge and bad personal hygiene. :D

Yeah, but Woody was a father of 2 young kids, not some under 25 sharing a house with other under 25 year olds. There's a massive difference between grunge and bad personal hygiene. :D
    people are still like that

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

not sure if it was posted in here before but this might give you better insights to the characters look including comments from the actors themselves, specifically Woody

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I found this show dreadfully disappointing. The two blokes with the blonde hair and glasses were ridiculous. More suited to Alan Partridge. There were moments of serious overacting....and boring at times too. Stephen Graham was good as usual. Can't say much about the rest

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I found this show dreadfully disappointing. The two blokes with the blonde hair and glasses were ridiculous. More suited to Alan Partridge. There were moments of serious overacting....and boring at times too. Stephen Graham was good as usual. Can't say much about the rest

yup. you literally can't say much about the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Ally Dick wrote: »

Yeah, very badly judged. It's been a while seen a seen the rest of the series, ditto the film, so I can't remember if the 'humour' was that over the top, but I don't think it was. I had my concerns from the very first scene which had Gadget pining over the canteen food. It felt childish and it immediately jarred with where the show was headed in terms of its recurring themes.

I like a lot the characters so for that reason I enjoyed it. However, they're definitely the weakest of the Meadow's directed episodes.

Anyone else spot Neil Bell (Soz from Dead Mans Shoes) in the junkie house when Kell was leaving to go to the wedding reception!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Anyone else spot Neil Bell (Soz from Dead Mans Shoes) in the junkie house when Kell was leaving to go to the wedding reception!
    yep, that was him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I liked the series, but if im being honest I think I watched it more for the 90s theme , thought they did it well.

Also combo's acting. the other storylines were neither here nor there for me.

Still enjoyed it though for the reasons stated above

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I liked it, but it didn't really have the impact of the other series. It felt like it didn't advance their stories that much or have much powerful content.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Needed more Madchester music.
    Sniffbangin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Spotted all the series are available on All4 so re-watched the film and binged the 3 series (86/88/90) over the past week. What a superb piece of work. Absolutely loved it.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Spotted all the series are available on All4 so re-watched the film and binged the 3 series (86/88/90) over the past week. What a superb piece of work. Absolutely loved it.
    same here

have you seen the virtues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

same here

have you seen the virtues?

If anyone enjoyed This is England, definitely watch The Virtues. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Stephen Graham and Niamh Algar are mesmerising. Might rewatch both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Agreed, just some of the best TV and acting I think I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’ve watched all the the is England series and I love them but I’ve never seen the film available on all4... I’ll catch it at some stage.
    I’ll echo the others here and say the virtues is simply mesmerising viewing.
    ETA, Stephen Graham is amazing but I also love Joe Gilgun, Watching Brassic gave me my best laughs of 2020....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Lisha wrote: »
    I’ve watched all the the is England series and I love them but I’ve never seen the film available on all4... I’ll catch it at some stage.
    I’ll echo the others here and say the virtues is simply mesmerising viewing.
    ETA, Stephen Graham is amazing but I also love Joe Gilgun, Watching Brassic gave me my best laughs of 2020....

The film is great too. Stephen Graham is really terrifying in it, superb as always, and Thomas Turgoose (sp ?) is so young and small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

weemcd wrote: »
    If anyone enjoyed This is England, definitely watch The Virtues. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Stephen Graham and Niamh Algar are mesmerising. Might rewatch both.

Was she the sister ? Yeah, she was brilliant. I believe she hadn’t done much acting before. One of the most natural performances I’ve ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

trashcan wrote: »
    Was she the sister ? Yeah, she was brilliant. I believe she hadn’t done much acting before. One of the most natural performances I’ve ever seen.

Indeed she showed so many looks in that, strong, vulnerable, confrontational, dangerous, seductive - all at the same time. Her chemistry with Graham was unbelievable.

She has an incredibly bright future.

trashcan wrote: »

calm with horses is a movie i enjoyed recently niamh stars in it, ned deneghy steals the show though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Calm with Horses was excellent alright. Must check out The Virtues

Calm with Horses was excellent alright. Must check out The Virtues

“A clippers for his little toe toes “ cracked me up

Advertisement