Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is England '90 in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

Shaun dodged a bullet with Smell. Imagine Smell at 45 years old, living in a council house with her something, with that nasally nagging voice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Smell is (and always has been insufferable)

How has nobody noticed Combo's been missing for two months?

EDIT: here we go

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

To many adds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Smell reminds me of your one from Cornation Street.

It's so rare that I watch TV live that I'm even finding the ads entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Was there history with Combo and the two lads Milky's family handed him over to? He looked terrified when he realised that Milky's lot weren't just gonna give him a beating but don't know if that was because he recognised those two or just realised a bad situation had just gotten much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Kelly's a bit of a fcuktard.

Who did the lads in the van drop combo off to?

Heyup, adverts over

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Heart racing before anything has happened...

It just feels all a bit like they are only tying up loose ends!
    Is anyone else a bit disappointed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Jon Stark wrote: »
    They made Kelly pretty simplistic there in the end. The inevitable lashing out at Gadget and telling him he's not a mate like he views her.

not really

she knows herself she is ****ed. she is addicted to heroin now and knows she has made a mess of her life. What she was saying about not knowing what is going on in her head so how does he know, was her being honest

she's not on heroin like alot were due to partying too hard after a rave and needing something to take the edge off. shes on it as her head is a mess.

the turning point now is after she has left that house with the junkies. what does she do now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

Disappointed with the final episode. Not near as dramatic as I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I was hoping for a more explosive story line between milky and combo.
    Nicely wrapped up otherwise.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

That was kinda anticlimactic :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Just wow.

Smell will forever be my favourite. She was just too funny.

But wow.

Lisha wrote: »
    It just feels all a bit like they are only tying up loose ends!
    Is anyone else a bit disappointed?

In fairness, there was a film plus ten episodes before this which is supposed to be the last episode they do, kind of had to tie up the loose ends.

They have left it open to a possible follow up though.

Expected it to be darker tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone recognise the white guys that took combo? Wonder what the story was

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Brilliant end and I'm misty eyed after watching it.

Big Game wrote: »
    In fairness, there was a film plus ten episodes before this which is supposed to be the last episode they do, kind of had to tie up the loose ends.

They have left it open to a possible follow up though.

Expected it to be darker tbh.

Yes you are right re the loose ends.
    I did expect it to be darker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ah i got it....i'd say banjos mates were involved

Actually what I think I wanted was for Kelly to tell the full story about her Dad. Think it's the only way she would fully heal.
    But then Milky would have had the compounded guilt of knowing who killed someone who had done a selfless act.
    Actually if Kelly could have told milky first then it possibly could have saved combo. And enabled them all to live free-er lives..... But I suppose who is tying up loose ends too easily now !

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

Phew, a bit of an emotional rollercoaster again...

I loved it, felt like it wrapped up everything perfectly. It just showed that Lol really was the emotional heart and centrepiece of this wonderful programme. Even in the scenes she wasn't in tonight, it somehow came back to her. For all of us that watched her suffer through '86 and '88 in particular, to see her finally happy was truly wonderful. Vicky McClure is a star and will hopefully go from strength to strength.

I was so worried when Kelly was left in the house with the drugs den, I thought there was a big scrap about to develop, but I'm so glad she found redemption, even if it's left open ended as to whether she will truly be ok. The talking down given to Gadget by Harvey and Kelly was tough to watch but it'll serve to toughen him up on his way to maturity.

Combo tried to show redemption to Milky but words just weren't enough, realistically, even if he has changed, nothing he could ever say could definitely prove to him (and to his wider family) that he was truly sorry. Unfortunately, the guilt is for Milk to carry around with him now.

Delighted for Shaun getting his happy ending, and for Meggy, Pob, & Trudy (getting suck into Higgy!) to return for the big wedding!

Overall, the series perhaps didn't reach the heights of '86, but it had some wonderful performances from the previously unheralded actors playing Kelly, Gadget, Chrissie, and Harvey.

As much as I'll miss the show, I really hope Shane Meadows leaves it at that, and goes on to make more groundbreaking drama

Now, I'm off to do some sniffbanging with Des Walker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

What was the name of the song they played when Lol and Kelly came into the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

spud82 wrote: »
    What was the name of the song they played when Lol and Kelly came into the room?

I'm pretty sure its Berlin Song by Ludovico Einaudi

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/this-is-england-90/articles/all/music

Phew, a bit of an emotional rollercoaster again...

I loved it, felt like it wrapped up everything perfectly. It just showed that Lol really was the emotional heart and centrepiece of this wonderful programme. Even in the scenes she wasn't in tonight, it somehow came back to her. For all of us that watched her suffer through '86 and '88 in particular, to see her finally happy was truly wonderful. Vicky McClure is a star and will hopefully go from strength to strength.

I was so worried when Kelly was left in the house with the drugs den, I thought there was a big scrap about to develop, but I'm so glad she found redemption, even if it's left open ended as to whether she will truly be ok. The talking down given to Gadget by Harvey and Kelly was tough to watch but it'll serve to toughen him up on his way to maturity.

Combo tried to show redemption to Milky but words just weren't enough, realistically, even if he has changed, nothing he could ever say could definitely prove to him (and to his wider family) that he was truly sorry. Unfortunately, the guilt is for Milk to carry around with him now.

Delighted for Shaun getting his happy ending, and for Meggy, Pob, & Trudy (getting suck into Higgy!) to return for the big wedding!

Overall, the series perhaps didn't reach the heights of '86, but it had some wonderful performances from the previously unheralded actors playing Kelly, Gadget, Chrissie, and Harvey.

As much as I'll miss the show, I really hope Shane Meadows leaves it at that, and goes on to make more groundbreaking drama

Now, I'm off to do some sniffbanging with Des Walker...

Don't think that was Meggy at the wedding, didn't the producer say the character died in 1987 between the 86 and 88 series. Thought there was someone who looked like him there, thought it might be his and Trudy's kid initially but he'd not have grown that much in 4 years.

I thought it was meggy too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I'm so glad the last episode wasn't as dark as I expected it to me. Glad there was so many happy endings.

Gadget and Harvey clinking their glasses and kissing, Smels jealously, Woodys parents & his high five to the priest made me laugh so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

spud82 wrote: »

Berlin song. Just downloaded it there now, lovely song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Brilliant TV, great acting, great storyline fair play to all involved.

As far as anti-climax goes, I think you have to remember that TiE is basically about ordinary people, living in a bleak and dreary looking anytown part of England. Oftentimes, events are framed dramatically, but they're really things that happen every day, so for events to be resolved in a low-key way, or for questions to be left unanswered fits in perfectly with the storytelling TiE is trying to do.

Combo's story arc, while sad, did deviate from this a little bit, and represents the biggest plot hole for me, on first viewing anyway. The exchange between Milky and Combo should have been more like,

Milky : Get in the car...

Combo : No!

Milky : Why not?

Combo : Because you and I both know I won't be coming back.

Fair enough if Milky's uncles kicked in Combo's door or something and took him, or those neo-Nazis did it, at least then he might have some chance of not merely vanishing off the face of the Earth to those who care about him. OK, he went quietly, he felt like he deserved it and all that, which made sense until he started screaming for his life. Frankly, if you were in Lol's shoes you'd be more than 'a bit suspicious'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Who were the 2 men who brought Combo from the van?

• Advertisement

banjo and someone

whilst in the van when combo had his flashback it showed him bottling banjo when he did milky

Advertisement