Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm interested to see if UPC feel (or are!) required to force it on to analogue and what'll be the lost channel if so. Still a vast number of secondary and further TVs on analogue cable about as well as the tiny number of direct customers - mostly elderly I'd guess.

UTV NI id have guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

irishfeen wrote: »
    No its full up to 116 - 116 was the logical place.

101 RTE One
    102 RTE Two HD/SD
    103 TV3
    104 TG4
    105 3e
    106 Sky 1
    107 Sky Living
    108 Sky Atlanic
    109 Watch
    110 Gold
    111 Dave
    112 Comedy Central
    113 Universal Channel
    114 Syfy
    115 RTÉ Two HD/SD
    116 UTV Ireland HD/SD

I think 3e should at 116 & UTV Ireland at 105

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think 3e should at 116 & UTV Ireland at 105
    Ya I actually though that sky would have moved TV3 down but UTVI doesn't have a full PSB licence so this might have prevented them from doing so - who knows in future they might secure a full licence and take 105.

Ya I actually though that sky would have moved TV3 down but UTVI doesn't have a full PSB licence so this might have prevented them from doing so - who knows in future they might secure a full licence and take 105.

Through UTV Ireland had a full licence

Through UTV Ireland had a full licence
    Seemingly not a full Public Service Broadcast licence -

Under the contract signed with the BAI - "Contracts granted by the BAI under Section 71 are for content only and do not carry an automatic right to carriage on a platform"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

When RTE1 HD launches that will put the SD/HD versions on 101/117 .. a messy Sky epg for Irish customers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Under the contract signed with the BAI - "Contracts granted by the BAI under Section 71 are for content only and do not carry an automatic right to carriage on a platform"

It has now been given S130 approval though

national television multiplex established, maintained and operated by RTÉ under section 114 (1) (i) shall provide for the broadcasting by digital means of—

(i) the national television broadcasting service commonly known as RTÉ One and RTÉ Two,

(ii) TG4,

(iii) where required by the Minister—

(I) The Houses of the Oireachtas Channel, and

(II) The Irish Film Channel,

(iv) such other television services, having the character of a public service, as may be designated by the Minister by order, and

Strange that then

When RTE1 HD launches that will put the SD/HD versions on 101/117 .. a messy Sky epg for Irish customers
    Well we almost 12 months after the RTÉ1 launch on Saorview (and the will appear shortly on sky) press release from RTÉ... We could be waiting for a long time yet! ... but yes its starting to get very messy, UTV should be really given 115 to set up something like this -

111 Dave
    112 Comedy Central
    113 Universal Channel
    114 Syfy
    115 UTV Ireland HD/SD

116 *RTÉ 1 HD/SD*

117 RTÉ 2 HD/SD

118 *TV3 SD/HD*
    119 *TG4 SD/HD*

*For future service*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ffocused

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2014/Minister+designates+new+UTV+Ireland+channel+for+carriage+on+SAORVIEW.htm

Utv Ireland now has the character of a public service broadcaster. (Whatever that means!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It doesn't really mean anything outside of the context of the section in question, which gives it must-carry status on Saorview. It changes nothing about the contract they were granted by the BAI.

Rather disappointed that it had to come to that though - reinforces the "Irish Only Need Apply" status of Saorview rather than breaking it.

icdg wrote: »
    It doesn't really mean anything outside of the context of the section in question, which gives it must-carry status on Saorview.

Rather disappointed that it had to come to that though - reinforces the "Irish Only Need Apply" status of Saorview rather than breaking it.
    Well it was obviously TV3 who forced the ministers hand which is disgraceful...

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm interested to see if UPC feel (or are!) required to force it on to analogue and what'll be the lost channel if so. Still a vast number of secondary and further TVs on analogue cable about as well as the tiny number of direct customers - mostly elderly I'd guess.

I'd imagine the answer will be yes and the lost channel will be UTV.

Its the end of an era, but to be expected really. UTV wouldn't want the audience cannibalised. No more ITN or ITV Sport unless you have a satellite dish or overspill.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Is it not because the present two muxes are the Public Service ones run by RTÉ and the other commercial ones have not started? It is just a way of allowing commercial broadcasters on the PSB muxes. Let's face it TV3 and UTV should have been made to set up their own mux (OK, OK stop laughing!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

No more ITN or ITV Sport unless you have a satellite dish or overspill.
    or someone pushes the wrong button!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

Are there any test channels on Saorview yet?

irishboyuk wrote: »
    Are there any test channels on Saorview yet?
    There seems to be movement on one of the hidden HD channels but no sign that its to do with UTV... Promos currently running for UTVI and their upcoming programmes on satellite now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

I wonder how this news is going down over at TV3 now that it is going on Saorview. I wouldnt rule out TV3 trying the court route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

If UTVI launch on Saorview HD test channel 12 and HD test channel 14 is for TG4 where will the planned TV3 HD go in 2015? Will a 3rd mux have to be launched to facilitate TV3HD?

brick man wrote: »
    I wonder how this news is going down over at TV3 now that it is going on Saorview. I wouldnt rule out TV3 trying the court route.
    I think the minister announcing this means they are taking steps to stop TV3 from going down the legal route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ffocused wrote: »
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2014/Minister+designates+new+UTV+Ireland+channel+for+carriage+on+SAORVIEW.htm

Utv Ireland now has the character of a public service broadcaster. (Whatever that means!)

And under what part of the act does the minister have to power to designate a TV channel public service, surely that is the job of the BAI, an independent body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

According to the UTVI website UTVI will be on channel 116 on Sky and an epg slot on Saorview will be announced shortly. No mention of HD on Saorview.

Elmo wrote: »
    And under what part of the act does the minister have to power to designate a TV channel public service, surely that is the job of the BAI, an independent body.

To be clear he does not and UTV are being slightly disingenuous about what the section in question says.

Section 130 of the Act requires RTÉ to establish a DTT multiplex carrying the following services
    - RTE One, RTE2, and TG4.
    - Where required to by the Minister, the Houses of the Oireachtas Channel and the Irish Film Channel (which doesn't exist).
    - Such other television services which have "the character of a public service" as may be designated by order.

The effect of the order is not to make UTV Ireland a service having the character of a public service. It is saying that it already had the character of a public service and that it is now a must-carry service on Saorview.

Just to say that the DCENR press release is far more clear about what the Minster has done:

natashaob6 wrote: »
    According to the UTVI website UTVI will be on channel 116 on Sky and an epg slot on Saorview will be announced shortly. No mention of HD on Saorview.

To be fair their is no mention of HD at all in the press release. But there has been movement all weekend with the hidden testcards on saorview in paticular channel 12 which is a HD testcard

natashaob6 wrote: »

To be fair their is no mention of HD at all in the press release. But there has been movement all weekend with the hidden testcards on saorview in particular channel 12 which is a HD testcard

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Surely that order should come from the BAI not the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

It doesn't really mean anything outside of the context of the section in question, which gives it must-carry status on Saorview. It changes nothing about the contract they were granted by the BAI.

Could it mean that UTVI can force 3e off channel 5 on Saorview or is 3e also designated a PSB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Surely that order should come from the BAI not the Department.

The Act requires the Minister to sign the order
    130.— (1) (a) A national television multiplex established, maintained and operated by RTÉ under section 114 (1) (i) shall provide for the broadcasting by digital means of—

(iv) such other television services, having the character of a public service, as may be designated by the Minister by order,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0130.html#sec130

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

galtee boy wrote: »
    Could it mean that UTVI can force 3e off channel 5 on Saorview or is 3e also designated a PSB ?

3e operates under TV3's Sec.70 licence while UTVI has a Sec.71 licence, it won't be moving. LCN 6 for UTVI with RTÉ News moving to LCN 21 and RTÉ1+1 to LCN 11 would be my guess based on all the testing in recent times.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt through it be down that far!

So the new Sky EPG will be:

101 RTE One SD (HD when)
    102 RTE Two*
    103 TV3
    104 TG4
    105 3e
    106 Sky 1
    107 Sky Living
    108 Sky Atlanic
    109 Watch